Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track guys..in here QUICK!

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/11, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Track guys..in here QUICK!

Just got my "tech sheet" for my upcoming NASA HPDE. Part of tech inspection is "ensure Gas cap is secure"..
Well.....what do I do about this!
Will it pass tech WITHOUT one?
HELP!
Old 7/6/11, 08:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ulev1st
Just got my "tech sheet" for my upcoming NASA HPDE. Part of tech inspection is "ensure Gas cap is secure"..
HELP!
You should call them and ask to make sure of their rules but just because it is capless does not mean it is unsecure. Cars crash on the street and they are build for that.
Old 7/6/11, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

HELP!
You're fine. The metal flange that seals it will only release when you insert the gas pump and depress the two little tabs on the side. You can show them by pushing on it that it's secure. It's also why you need that little white plastic funnel in your trunk to fill with a gas can at the track. Most gas can funnels won't activate the release.
Old 7/6/11, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy a locking plug at you local Ford dealer.
Old 7/6/11, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Your gas cap will be the last thing they check in a tech inspection, especially on a brand new car. They'll most likely push all four wheels, wiggle your battery, and send you on your way.
Old 7/6/11, 12:32 PM

HELP!
First off, as others have said, yes, it will pass Tech as it is a brand new car and you have a non-modified, factory installed fuel fill system. I can guarantee you that someone in charge is aware of the new capless filler necks.

Are you going to an independent shop for your tech inspection? If you do and bring your completed tech inspection form, chances are that you will not have anyone at the track even look twice at your car. If you have your car teched at the track, then the fact that you have a brand new 2012 model will pretty much ensure you'll have a smooth, quick inspection.
Old 7/6/11, 06:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I did get behind a VW Golf at MAM last year that was dousing me on every left hander. I passed him ASAP!!!
Old 7/6/11, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

I am guilty of not securing the gas cap on my E30 at a DE. I smelled gas and knew one of the two locking tabs did not lock, effectively cross-threading the cap so fuel can spew out all over Road Atlanta. Needless to say, I was black flagged.
Old 7/6/11, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

I would encourage you to get the gas cap, even if just for track use, exactly to avoid any of the above mentioned problems. I've heard rumors (correct me if I'm wrong) of the capless ones being not as tight as advertised, and if it's gonna splash, I'll guarantee it'll do it on the track, when you have a full tank, and can douse the dude next to you. No problem with having a bit of extra security, and remove any and all doubt.
Old 7/7/11, 06:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
I would encourage you to get the gas cap, even if just for track use, exactly to avoid any of the above mentioned problems. I've heard rumors (correct me if I'm wrong) of the capless ones being not as tight as advertised, and if it's gonna splash, I'll guarantee it'll do it on the track, when you have a full tank, and can douse the dude next to you. No problem with having a bit of extra security, and remove any and all doubt.
6 hard track days in the Boss with no spillage
Old 7/7/11, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
6 hard track days in the Boss with no spillage
Good to hear! The reports I'd heard were for the Taurus, maybe they got it better with the Stang.

Personally I'd still grab one, if only to avoid a tech guy questioning and complaining (doesn't happen with our designated at-track guy, but pre-tech people vary considerably).
Old 7/7/11, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Just in case anybody was wondering..the part number for the locking plug for our cars is:
8U5A-9C268-AC $31.24 retail at my dealer.
Old 7/7/11, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car passed NASA tech with no issues with the capless system. Also didn't have any fuel slosh issues with a full tank.

However I agree that a locking plug or cap is a good idea.