Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Track Attack / FR500S track session video

Old 5/8/12, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track Attack / FR500S track session video

it's a little long...gotta go back and crop it. for any of you considering whether or not you should stay for a second day at track attack and drive the fr500s...this may help you decide. the west track is fun...and sooo different from the east track.

Old 5/8/12, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was there at the same time, one day event. In the Silver Laguna. I really wish I had done the second day.
Old 5/8/12, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
it's a little long...gotta go back and crop it. for any of you considering whether or not you should stay for a second day at track attack and drive the fr500s...this may help you decide. the west track is fun...and sooo different from the east track.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lqxr66H9c8
I really didn't think 4 20 minute sessions were worth 1500~
Had I known, I would have put that money towards 5 HPDE events. Just my .02
Old 5/8/12, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

to each his own...

Originally Posted by Jza1736
to each his own - it's certainly a matter of taste...and I'm not suggesting it's a no-brainer....but the economics of running your own car for 5 hpde events is nothing close to $1,500.

what I liked about it is getting to run an entirely new track, with enough help from the instructors to get you comfortable with a tricky track in a session or two. (there are many non-obvious lines on the west track...many 'compromise' corners)...and, running a very safe, proven car. Safety is a huge concern for me having been involved in a nasty track wreck a couple years ago - and proper safety equipment saved my life.
Old 5/8/12, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

to each his own - it's certainly a matter of taste...and I'm not suggesting it's a no-brainer....but the economics of running your own car for 5 hpde events is nothing close to $1,500.

what I liked about it is getting to run an entirely new track, with enough help from the instructors to get you comfortable with a tricky track in a session or two. (there are many non-obvious lines on the west track...many 'compromise' corners)...and, running a very safe, proven car. Safety is a huge concern for me having been involved in a nasty track wreck a couple years ago - and proper safety equipment saved my life.
The instruction was great, but I guess I'm spoiled. I run with SCDA and they have instructors if you want them and class room instruction for around 300~.
I had a great time at Miller and the instruction was grade A! I just wasn't thrilled With the amount of track time on the second day. I highly recommend everyone who buys a Boss to go!!
Old 5/8/12, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Understand your point but unless you get very lucky it is hard (impossible?) to match the level of instruction at Track Attack. I regret not having done the second day, if I would have know how good the course was I would have. However it would have been in a GT since for me it would not have been about speed but learning how to push to the edge no matter the type of car.

BTW, nice vid, thanks for sharing
Old 5/8/12, 07:03 PM
GT Member

I was in the same sessions as fuhrius, while I chose to stay with the Mustang GT, I'm glad I spent the money on the second day! Totally worth every penny!

I was fortunate to take the place of my BIL for the Track Attack. Since I have an 07 SGT, the Mustang GT was the obvious choice for me as it's setup like my SGT.

I wasn't disappointed with it's capabilities on the track. MMP is a first class operation!
Old 5/8/12, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss

Understand your point but unless you get very lucky it is hard (impossible?) to match the level of instruction at Track Attack. I regret not having done the second day, if I would have know how good the course was I would have. However it would have been in a GT since for me it would not have been about speed but learning how to push to the edge no matter the type of car.

BTW, nice vid, thanks for sharing
Scott,

I agree the instruction was Fantastic on the first day! On the second day it wasn't as in depth. I have no regrets I had a great time and the staff is first rate. Just wish I had asked a few people here that already done the second day before me. It was short for the money.

I've been pretty lucky as instructors go. My last 2 times with SCDA, I got Bill Prout. He was a top instructor from the Skip Barber school. The knowledge he was giving me was as good as the instructors from Miller and geared to lightning and Thunderbolt. The two tracks I was driving on.

And as my luck continues I've arranged instruction from Ron the Rocketman! For my First HPDE at Limerock park on the 31st.
Old 5/8/12, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Jason have you experienced any shifting issues with your car on track? I ask this question on the assumption that you still have the factory shifter and linkage in your car.
Old 5/9/12, 04:04 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, to the factory linkage and shifter. No, issues on track.
On the street, I've had the clutch stay on the floor 1 time & I've noticed 2nd & 3rd are now notchy. But only when the tranny is cold.
Old 5/9/12, 07:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Other than the hood and roll bar have you made any changes to your car to prepare it for on-track activity? IE: fluids, brakes, tires.
Old 5/9/12, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Brake fluid, tranny cooling scoop, brake cooling ducts, removed dust shields, hawk DTC 70 fronts, hawk DTC 60 rears. I'm about to order my harnesses & if I can shake the money tree a little more DBA rotors

And I should get at least 50 ponies from all the Ford decals!
Old 5/9/12, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 5/9/12, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by orng302
Thanks for the info.
No problem!
Almost forgot the LS splitter and the steeda street wing
Old 5/9/12, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Great video'
thanks for posting.
Old 5/9/12, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Nice Video, I am going end of August, with the 2nd day in in the FR500S. I believe I made the correct choice.
Old 5/9/12, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scott,

I agree the instruction was Fantastic on the first day! On the second day it wasn't as in depth. I have no regrets I had a great time and the staff is first rate. Just wish I had asked a few people here that already done the second day before me. It was short for the money.

I've been pretty lucky as instructors go. My last 2 times with SCDA, I got Bill Prout. He was a top instructor from the Skip Barber school. The knowledge he was giving me was as good as the instructors from Miller and geared to lightning and Thunderbolt. The two tracks I was driving on.

And as my luck continues I've arranged instruction from Ron the Rocketman! For my First HPDE at Limerock park on the 31st.
Thanks Jason for the report, I trust what you say about it. I have had two very good local guys sit in the car with me but only for one session each. However I learned quite a bit from them in a short time, just like TA with Charlie. Problem is I have had the other side and with a couple of guys in for check type rides and I could not wait for the session to end. Been looking forward to a local WC and part time Grand Am driver to get out on track with me, should be a blast and I hope to pick up some good tips. Gotta keep up with Peter and crack the 2:20's at Sebring
Old 5/9/12, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

the thing I liked most about the instruction at MMP was the lack of attitude. I've done classes at Bondurant, Jim Russell, and the full 5-day racing curriculum at Skippy...I'd say the MMP crew we had was the best I've had.
Old 5/11/12, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by stngfever
I was in the same sessions as fuhrius, while I chose to stay with the Mustang GT, I'm glad I spent the money on the second day! Totally worth every penny!

I was fortunate to take the place of my BIL for the Track Attack. Since I have an 07 SGT, the Mustang GT was the obvious choice for me as it's setup like my SGT.

I wasn't disappointed with it's capabilities on the track. MMP is a first class operation!
I was also in this class with fuhrius and stngfever. Scott and I got to meet Patrick Dempsey who was trying out his new car for the first time. We spent hours with him on Friday and Saturday and sure was a great bonus after two exciting days.

Name:  IMG_1236.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  194.3 KB

52% Name:  IMAG0609.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  165.0 KB

Scott and Patrick

Here are some more pics of Dempsey Racing
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/v...2012/?start=60

Here are some more pics of Dempsey Racing
Old 5/11/12, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the thing I liked most about the instruction at MMP was the lack of attitude. I've done classes at Bondurant, Jim Russell, and the full 5-day racing curriculum at Skippy...I'd say the MMP crew we had was the best I've had.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've done some good schools, but MMP's instructors were the best I've had as well. They were also all gentlemen and really down to earth, willing to spend time with you giving advice, answering questions or just BSing.

As for the cost, it's not unreasonable considering the cost of running the car. I refuse to actually pencil it out because it would spoil the fun, but it's north of 5 hundred and maybe a grand a day not counting the track fee.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Attack / FR500S track session video