Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302
View Poll Results: Which tire would you use for the street on a supercharged Boss?
Toyo PX1 305/30/19
66.67%
Nitto Drag radial 285/35/19
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on these Toyo 305/30/19's fore replacement rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on these Toyo 305/30/19's fore replacement rear tires

What do you guys think of these as a replacement street tire for the rear of the Boss? I know the ideal rim width would be 10" but think they should be okay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-305-30...29256751211597

I would love these for my car as I need more tire on the back for traction and the price is a great deal. It's either these or Nitto drag radials in the factory size.

What are your thoughts/opinions on these for the street vs the drag radials. I won't be doing any drag racing, just maybe an autocross or 2 for fun

Andy
Old 10/30/11, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wish we had more options in the factory sizes.
Old 10/30/11, 11:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I just purchased a set from that seller in the stock size. I think you need a 10.5" wheel for that tire. I have SVT PP 19x10's in the back of my Boss and thought about those but went with the stock size. I don't have them mounted yet and plan on using these tires at the track. If I like them I'll also use them on the street as a replacement for the Pirelli's.
Old 10/30/11, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
What do you guys think of these as a replacement street tire for the rear of the Boss? I know the ideal rim width would be 10" but think they should be okay...[...]
You don't have a choice for "neither".

I'm not sure which drag radial you're looking at, but if they're soft compound tires, they won't last very long. I would also think they'd be horrible for autocross - if I understand drag tire design correctly, they come with compliant sidewalls to help with the launch. This means that they'll "flop around" in hard cornering.

The PX01 would be a much better choice for street, but the recommended width for the tire you chose is 10.5" to 11.5", so you'd be compromising again.

I think the real issue here is that you have almost too much power for the street.

Here are the options that I would consider:
- If you don't care about replacing tires every few thousand miles, go with an autocross-focused race compound street-legal tire. The sticky compound will help you hook up, but will not kill your cornering like a drag radial will. Pick a size that fits on the rims.
- If you want a tire that will last more than 5000 miles, get a set of rims that will fit the wider tires. I think the soft compound will make a much bigger difference in hooking up than the extra tire width will, but a little extra width won't hurt.
- Be realistic in your expectations: Any tire that lasts a reasonable amount of time on the street will be on the hard side - with your kind of power, you're still going to have traction issues.
Old 10/30/11, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

thankf for the comments. I really dont care about wear...1 year or 2,500 miles is fine. I just want to replace the rear tires with something more suited to the power I am making. I guess I could buy a set of take off Boss wheels and have them widened?? 19x11's and these 305's would be nice
Old 10/30/11, 12:11 PM

thankf for the comments. I really dont care about wear...1 year or 2,500 miles is fine. I just want to replace the rear tires with something more suited to the power I am making. I guess I could buy a set of take off Boss wheels and have them widened?? 19x11's and these 305's would be nice
If you want no-compromise traction, then I wouldn't go for the PX01 - they're still a street compound tire - which means that they're designed more for treadwear than ultimate traction.

Also, the stock wheels are rather heavy. If you're going to be replacing wheels, why not go with a lighter forged wheel?

Finally, it's starting to sound like you're looking at just replacing the rear tires.

This is fine for straight-line acceleration, but not a good thing for cornering. For handling in twisty situations, the balance (i.e. the relationship between front grip and rear grip, as well as sidewall characteristics) is as important as overall traction. So just changing one side would considerably detract from the overall handling of the car.

You may want to rethink your goals.

Perhaps the right solution is to go for the drag radials as your day-to-day tires. You'll get the straight-line traction you want. Then, if you're going to do autox - get a set of handling tires (or keep the stock tires) for that.

I think you may find that your car is not really a great autox car in any case. With the low speeds and tight courses that are typical of autox, your power is going to be more of a liability than a benefit.

Your car would do better on a road course with long straights where you could actually use your power.
Old 10/30/11, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

id do DRs for the daily drive and then go with ohter tires for autox. im planning to use the hankoon ventus v12 evo k110 after the pirellies. ther was a guy racing a newer porsche GT3 at ECr last i went out on those tires and he loved them for grip. they are also one of the more grippy tires according to that tire review road and track or someone did a while back. they also happen to be fairly cheap and one of the few tires offered in the factory 19-inch sizes. im not the change your tires guy at the track i want to roll up and race then drive home. summer compound only is fine with me in my climate, any better suggestions for grip on a road course short of r-compounds that will fit the factory rims are welcome. this is my DD.

PS i'd see if those guys will get you a much lower power race tune for autox and road course work. on those small autox courses there is a reason small under powered cars tend to be in the top pax times.

Last edited by ShaneM; 10/30/11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10/30/11, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
id do DRs for the daily drive and then go with ohter tires for autox. im planning to use the hankoon ventus v12 evo k110 after the pirellies. ther was a guy racing a newer porsche GT3 at ECr last i went out on those tires and he loved them for grip. they are also one of the more grippy tires according to that tire review road and track or someone did a while back. they also happen to be fairly cheap and one of the few tires offered in the factory 19-inch sizes. im not the change your tires guy at the track i want to roll up and race then drive home. summer compound only is fine with me in my climate, any better suggestions for grip on a road course short of r-compounds that will fit the factory rims are welcome. this is my DD.

PS i'd see if those guys will get you a much lower power race tune for autox and road course work. on those small autox courses there is a reason small under powered cars tend to be in the top pax times.
This is what I'll be doing as well. The Evos are a great bargain for the amount of grip they provide. They also are reasonably resistant to overheating for a street tire.
Old 10/30/11, 04:07 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I run Nitto drags in the rear year round. Just stay away from water.
Old 10/30/11, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm using the V12's on the street and they are great. I used them once at the track - definitely not the same as the Corsa's but very predictable - just lower limits. A very fine tire and on top of a good price, I think there's an $80 rebate on a set of 4.
Old 10/30/11, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I'm using the V12's on the street and they are great. I used them once at the track - definitely not the same as the Corsa's but very predictable - just lower limits. A very fine tire and on top of a good price, I think there's an $80 rebate on a set of 4.
quarter mile or road course? im not putting anything on the car that reduces its capability. i just refuse to pay 600 per tire.
Old 10/30/11, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I run Nitto drags in the rear year round. Just stay away from water.
What size and on what size wheel?\
Old 10/30/11, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
quarter mile or road course? im not putting anything on the car that reduces its capability. i just refuse to pay 600 per tire.

I just want a better replacement tire for the money than the Pirelli's...I have had many types and brands of tires over the years for MANY different cars and purposes, but I didn't care for the Pirellis even when the car was stock
Old 10/30/11, 06:59 PM

What size and on what size wheel?\
305's on 18's

I've heard great things about Toyo R888. IMO Toyo makes the best tire for the money. I swear by them for sure.
Old 10/30/11, 07:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Are the Toyo's spec'd for the Boss rim size? And this may or may not be a concern but summer tires of any sort tend to go to crap when the temp gets at or below 40 degrees. something to think about if your Boss is a DD.
Old 10/30/11, 07:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Are the Toyo's spec'd for the Boss rim size? And this may or may not be a concern but summer tires of any sort tend to go to crap when the temp gets at or below 40 degrees. something to think about if your Boss is a DD.
Toyo makes the Proxes in the stock size and more importantly the stock height. From what I've read they should be on par with the stock Pirelli's at almost $100 less per tire. Still more expensive than the V12's though.
Old 10/30/11, 07:26 PM

I'm a serious tire guy. Have tried most brands and gave them all hell. I will never put hankooks on another vehicle that I own. That goes for khumo also.
Old 10/30/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
305's on 18's

I've heard great things about Toyo R888. IMO Toyo makes the best tire for the money. I swear by them for sure.
I was very unimpressed with the R888s I had. Most prefer the outgoing RA1s for their more forgiving sidewalls but they weren't an option for me due to sizing concerns. The R888 had an extremely stiff sidewall and any lateral movement caused them to become very unsettled.
Old 10/31/11, 08:38 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Toyo makes the Proxes in the stock size and more importantly the stock height. From what I've read they should be on par with the stock Pirelli's at almost $100 less per tire. Still more expensive than the V12's though.
I was commenting more on the 305/30R19 tire size rather than the brand itself. I've ranted elsewhere about putting tires on inadequate rim widths but occasionally a manufacturer might allow something I'd consider crazy ( I see it mostly in drag radials) to go.
Old 11/1/11, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those Toyos look good but with the amount of power you're putting down I'd probably just go for DRs. Downside is longevity.

On the other hand, with a 35 series DR, it's probably not going to be much more effective than the Toyo as far as grip is concerned

Last edited by 06GT; 11/1/11 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these Toyo 305/30/19's fore replacement rear tires