2012-2013 BOSS 302

Thinking of getting a Boss, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/11, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ulrichw
The same thing could be said for the stock Boss 302 wheels - if you're serious about the handling of the car you'll want to upgrade them. OTOH I wouldn't see this as a priority - as you're learning how to drive, the difference between a heavier wheel and a lighter wheel will be basically irrelevant.

This sounds like much more of a drag racing mod than a road track mod. HPDEs are actually quite gentle on these components. Without knowing anything specific about the Camaro SS I'd say skip this.

This is probably the real difference between the two cars. The Boss 302 is competent without suspension changes, while you probably want something a little better tuned in the SS.

Having said that, the $2500 investment will probably leave you with a better, more adjustable suspension than what's on the Boss stock.

Well, that's about perfect, which means if you wreck it, you won't have as much money in it.

Probably true, though it's an engine in the first year of its development, so may be still in its debugging stage.

IMO the Chevy should hold up fine to a small number of track events a year.

Sound thinking. But in my experience, most people end up pushing pretty hard once they're bitten by the bug. Also, most people don't realize how quickly things can go wrong - the line between being in control and being wildly out of control is very thin at speed. Most people get lucky as they learn these lessons - but a few unlucky souls end up with a wadded car.

My two cents' worth: Buy the car if you have a visceral need to own it - it's a great car, and you won't be disappointed. But from a financial perspective, I think it's a much better idea to stay with what you've already got. It would make the most sense to me to at least keep the Camaro until your driving outgrows it.

The component that needs the most work in just about any situation where someone has recently started track driving is the driver itself. There's no point in trying to optimize the car until your expertise is at the point where you can take advantage of it.
Very good points! There aren't a lot of guys who track their Camaro's, so there's not a ton of information out there. My biggest concern is with the engine. I have a constant fear of the thing exploding while doing some high RPM driving, and just generally don't have much confidence in the build quality of the car. This is probably just an irrational fear

I'm nowhere close to making a final decision on anything. I'm really just trying to weigh the options. It may be worthwhile to keep playing with my car for now, and do some suspension mods here and there. The financial aspect is a very good point, and one of the big reasons I haven't made a final decision yet. I really appreciate the comments!
Old 12/8/11, 07:12 PM

If your concerned about the engine, buy the manufacture's extended warranty. Nothing like having a warranted car you beat on at the track for 6 years.
Old 12/9/11, 07:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi blk96gt,

Maybe these will help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REiMvxxamA

Deysha
Old 12/9/11, 04:32 PM
GT Member

Without a doubt, you need to upgrade to DOT 4 BF (really wonder why it did not come stock). But thats it. You won't needs pads unless you get fade, which will occur if you are pretty confident on the track, and beyond the novice level.
Old 12/9/11, 05:39 PM

How often are you guys changing gear oil and transmission oil when doing track days? What weight and brands are y'all using?
Old 12/9/11, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by blk96gt
How often are you guys changing gear oil and transmission oil when doing track days? What weight and brands are y'all using?
I followed the supplement. After my first event and then after every 12 hours of track events
Old 12/10/11, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Not to talk trash on C6 Z06 vets but before any one thinks about going with a Z06 vet need to read this thread all the way through . Z06 like dropping ex valves if you wanted to go with a vet the GS corvette with LS3 motor may be a better in the long run.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...es-guides.html i wish you the best of luck with what ever car you choise .