Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

thinking about buying a Boss , questions....

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/12, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about buying a Boss , questions....

Thinking about buying a 12 boss but have a few questions for owners..
tranny/shifter..seems from reviewers that the shifter/tranny is great but actual owners say otherwise?
Is the clutch take up firm or soft, I hate soft clutch feel
track key, I was so excited when this was anounced however alot who purchased it were let down and say it`s a waste of money.
The ride, handling... I know boss is a handler and then some but does the rear dance and or feel scary over rough roads? I have an LS3 SS now.
Old 4/1/12, 04:41 PM
V6 Member

I'll take a stab:

1. The shifter is ok. It's not great, but it's not horrible. The feel is decent and the throw isn't too long. The only real issue is if you are missing gears during high-rpm shifting. Aftermarket shifters and shifter brackets/fluid changes can help the issue.

2. The clutch has a long motion, but the feel is good. It's very easy to drive.

3. I have the track key installed - I think its totally worth it, but I can see the argument against it if you are trying to mod the car for power. From what I hear in the tuner world, they are pretty close to cracking the red key so that people can custom tune on their track keys.........and then it'll be a no brainer.

4. This is my first muscle car of any kind - I come from awd/turbo evolution land. I sold my EVO X to buy my Boss. Obviously the rear end will step out more on this car, but I wouldn't say that its in a scary way. I wouldn't be trying to drive fast around corners with broken pavement anyways so I guess that particular issue doesn't faze me.
Old 4/1/12, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by hori
tranny/shifter..seems from reviewers that the shifter/tranny is great but actual owners say otherwise?
track key, I was so excited when this was anounced however alot who purchased it were let down and say it`s a waste of money.
The ride, handling... I know boss is a handler and then some but does the rear dance and or feel scary over rough roads? I have an LS3 SS now.
I've owned quite a few powerful rear wheel drive cars, and around 16 Mustangs since my first in 1980. I've owned my 2012 Boss 302 for 1 month.
I've meet 3 others locally that also have one and they also have grins and praise for the car as well. One owner has had his 7 months, 17,000 miles as his everyday driver and he's an out-of-office sales man, so he drives his alot. I asked him if it is still as much fun as when he first drove it and he told me it was as his grin reached both ears!

Clutch feels fantastic. Not sure why you wouldn't like a soft clutch, but it is firm enough that you know it is there, and soft enough that it is a pleasure to drive and shift in heavy traffic. I might actually teach my wife how to drive a standard with this car.

I think too many people misunderstand the track key. Those people that believe it adds power and is some magical tune are disappointed. What it does add, and you need to understand the car to really feel the differences, is:
1. remaps the throttle to make it more responsive
2. closes the idle air solenoid during decel in order to allow the engine to brake hard (saves on braking during racing)
3. Changes the cam timing for a more aggressive torque curve (you can feel this when coming out of corners and such)
4. Allows pit speed control and launch control
Is it worth it? Are you going to drive the car only on the street? Then NO.
Are you expecting more horsepower from it? Then NO.
If you are going to take it to the drag strip or race track, then YES!
It $302 + 1 hour labor

As far as someone breaking into the code to be able to program it, I think they'll be in for a surprise. From what I know about it, the Trackey appears to not be a separate tune, but a tune on top of the base program.

I have been able to make the rear end come around, but you have to turn the traction control completely off. It has about 4 settings that I've figured out. I absolutely love the way this car handles.
Old 4/1/12, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hori

I purchased an early production 2012 BOSS. Great car.

I did experience issues with the shifter/trans. The TSB frod Ford and the installation of a MGW shifter solved the issues. Unsure which change made the most difference since the changes happened the same day. I wanted a shifter which felt like the tried and true Hurst Competition Plus I had on older cars. The MGW does this and more. Current Hurst shifter.....not so much.

The Clutch has always been good. I have read a few posts where people have had issues with their clutch. Most if not all have been attributed to parts failure not a design flaw.

Track key does deliver a engine braking, revised throttle response/mapping. all the things Ford said it would. What it does not deliver is the extreme sound of a 60's era lopey cam as see on you tube. If you want the lopey cam sound sorry. If you want the track style performance improvement, the one's Ford said they would deliver, then buy it.

If you are looking for a luxury car whioch can perform, buy a M3, but get used to being passed by folks with a Boss.
Old 4/1/12, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

I agree 100% with tomzstang and everything he said.

As far as my perception and having one of the later built boss's. The shifter and tranny are smooth, but with that being said im not sure if im completely satisfied with the stock shifter. Im going to replace it with a mgw just to see if it will be less spongy and more firm.

As far as the clutch is concerned it feels great its more on the firm side but soft where its not a pain to engage. To be honest this car on the way of a manual is easier to drive then my 2010 gt was.

I just had the trackey installed on friday and although im not going to really track the car i like how it responds. It feels quicker on the throttle And heavier on the engine braking. Which even though it doesn't add hp it makes a huge difference on the feel. In that sense i found it worth it. Also when it idles the car rumbles more, which i like.

So in all i love the car and things i dont like ill add or change.
Old 4/2/12, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

The shifter feel is amazing to me, and I'm #0225. I had the shifter lockup on me a couple times on track, but switching to redline mtf fixed that and some. I'd compare it to feeling like an s2k(known as the best shifter in the industry).

Clutch feel is just right and easy to modulate. Felt a lot like my BMW M cars

The rear end stability is pretty impressive and I wouldn't worry especially if your comig from a camaro. Gm rear ends are the worst IMO. My experience is with the c6 vettes. I got my rear end dialed in with some coilovers and it feels nearly as tight as the e92 m3 and I can hop corner apexes with confidence now.

I have yet to install track key. I'm one of those guys waiting for it to be cracked so I can do a 100oct nitrous tune
Old 4/2/12, 05:28 PM
V6 Member

I think everyone is spot on. The stock shifter was ok... probably the best factor shifter I've encountered on a Mustang. However, I just installed my MGW yesterday, and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! So much more positive and precise. I'm very impressed with the quality of the unit.

I love the clutch. it's so comfortable, but has such a crisp feel to it. It makes my last Mustang with a Spec Stage 2 feel like a Mack truck. It's a thousand times better than my wife's G35 six speed.

The suspension is awesome. Very predictible and I have yet to feel like I'm in a compromised position in any bumpy curve or ramp. It's like you can feel the suspension responding and doing what it has to do to hold the road. Even in a straight line, I'm amazed at how hard you can jam through the gears, and just feel the rear end squat and dig without loss of traction. Sure, you can make it spin around and get crossed up if you want to, but otherwise, just point her where you want to go and HANG ON!

No experience with TK yet.
Old 4/2/12, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not a Ford guy. Actually I swore I'd never own another one and stuck to that for a really long time. Was never even tempted to own one since they screwed me on my first new car I ever bought. This is the ONLY car Ford could have come out with that I would have bought. The 69 was the first car I fell in Love with as an eight year old. Turned me into a car guy for life. So take this review with that in mind.

It is my daily driver by choice. 13000 mile in less than a year. Has never been on a track and won't ever be while I own it. So as far as track key goes, I'd have been better off getting a could wax job for the benefits it provided.

I've owned a bunch of 4,5,6 speeds and only one auto in my life. This Trans is probably the next to worst I've owned, second only to an 85 Shelby Charger for slickness. That one you could not find the correct slot because there were no slots, Changing gear with it was a Biblical adventure. Seek and ye shall find. The BOSS has short precise throws. It just seems to regret actually in gauging the gears. It has gotten better with mileage but still not great. Slick shifting as a phase would never have been invented if this were the only trans/shifter ever invented. It is not horrible it is just not slick at all. Mine feels like your learning to speed shift and you have gotten pretty good just not good enough. :-) It never snicks into gear it always growls. Not grind, growls.

Would not change a thing about the way the clutch feels. Easy and quick.

All that being said, bet you thing I hate this thing. This is by far the only car I've ever owned that after a year of daily driving I can tell you I will own this car until I die or I give it to my grandson. He is currently one. Sideways at any speed and just can not force the grin from my face.

Fair warning, "You will be spending a lot of time talking to people about it" everywhere you go.

Last edited by truegeek; 4/2/12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 4/2/12, 08:22 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in. I love the Boss and haven't had any issues with the shifter. It is a little rough when cold, but I have the same issues with other vehicles. The clutch feels great as stated. No option to get TracKey installed here so I can't comment on that.
I do get to drive at high speeds regularly and have been nervous of the rear end a couple times when hitting bumps, but it hasn't been an issue. The car handles great at speeds of 100mph+, which probably isn't a concern to most in the States. I have no regrets about purchasing this car!