Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Strange sound at 3K + rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/12, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange sound at 3K + rpms

I just went riding around some back roads, nothing crazy and I starting getting a weird sound. its hard to describe, but I'll try my best. this all happened after the engine/ trans was good and warmed up.

Its definitely mechanical in nature. its starts at around 3K in all gears (except 6th- didn't go that fast.) it has an almost rotational sound, it gets louder with the rpm. If I let off the gas, still in gear, it stops. It does not happen in neutral and just rev'ing the engine. it sounds like its coming from under the shifter area. its like a roaring/ whurring (sp) sound. its not a grinding sound.

My immediate thoughts are :

A) clutch assembly related
B) internal trans related

Thoughts?
Old 10/10/12, 05:14 AM
V6 Member

Update-

went out for a drive last night to see what factors cause the noise. I now believe its actually the ring and pinion. the sound is more of whine and its always there, just very quiet at low RPM. at 3200-3500 its the most pronounced. above 4200 its starts to go away.

This is very similar to when I had my motive 4.10's installed on my 03 GT.
Old 10/17/12, 07:35 AM
GT Member

I have noticed that my gears have started to whine here as of late. I am so used to the noise in previous mustangs that I hardly notice it most of the time lol
Old 10/17/12, 10:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

From what I have read the whine could also be from the trans, apparently the fluid allows sound to come through.
Old 11/12/14, 11:45 AM
V6 Member

Update- The issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. The culprit was the throwout bearing assembly. The second dealer I went too, Pat Millikan Ford, has a great trans tech. I took the guy for a hard/ fast ride and he had me press on the clutch slightly while it would whine. The tone of the sound would change immediately. 4 days later....no more whining!
Old 11/12/14, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by CrazyBrain
Update- The issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. The culprit was the throwout bearing assembly. The second dealer I went too, Pat Millikan Ford, has a great trans tech. I took the guy for a hard/ fast ride and he had me press on the clutch slightly while it would whine. The tone of the sound would change immediately. 4 days later....no more whining!
Glad to see it got resolved, where could you hear the sound coming from?
Old 11/13/14, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Glad to see it got resolved, where could you hear the sound coming from?
to me it sounded like it came from rear of the vehicle, that proved to be incorrect. the only good thing about it was that I could make it happen when ever I drove it hard. it was easy to show the two ford techs I took for rides. #1 got it wrong, #2 nailed it in 5 minutes.
Old 11/13/14, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

to me it sounded like it came from rear of the vehicle, that proved to be incorrect. the only good thing about it was that I could make it happen when ever I drove it hard. it was easy to show the two ford techs I took for rides. #1 got it wrong, #2 nailed it in 5 minutes.
That is really interesting, I have had a whine since about 5k miles maybe less and always thought it was the 3.73, mine sounds like it is coming from the back also and got worst after a UCA install. I may have to see if Ford can check the trans.
Old 11/13/14, 02:28 PM
V6 Member

That is really interesting, I have had a whine since about 5k miles maybe less and always thought it was the 3.73, mine sounds like it is coming from the back also and got worst after a UCA install. I may have to see if Ford can check the trans.

If you hear the whine, press on the clutch pedal a slight bit and see if the tone of the whine changes. thats how the trans tech determined it was the throwout bearing. the 1st dealer only replaced the trans fluid. this didnt do anything at all.
Old 11/13/14, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you hear the whine, press on the clutch pedal a slight bit and see if the tone of the whine changes. thats how the trans tech determined it was the throwout bearing. the 1st dealer only replaced the trans fluid. this didnt do anything at all.
Would it also lessen if you weren't on the gas?
Old 11/14/14, 07:42 AM
V6 Member

Would it also lessen if you weren't on the gas?
yes, it was dependent on power from the engine. it would stop if i let off the gas, regardless of gear and RPM.