2012-2013 BOSS 302

Should I take issue with my dealership or not bother?

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/11 | 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Should I take issue with my dealership or not bother?

When I bought my LS, I bought it in Arizona from a dealership that had an allocation at MSRP. One of the last-minute stipulations in the deal was that I register it in Arizona, a state I've never been to before, because "they couldn't 100% verify that I'm a US citizen and Ford didn't want snowbirds (Canadians) taking the cars back to Canada."

I was also told I could get a refund for my registration fee through the AZ DOT.

Well, my title work finally came in and I'm already out $3000 in the additional sales tax and an additional $900 in registration fees I had to pay in AZ. However, AZ's online site doesn't allow me to request a refund because of my Delaware license number. Furthermore, their mail-in form states I cannot request a refund because I have registered the car in another state.

I take responsibility for the stupidity of agreeing to pay the additional sales tax (AZ is 9% or so, Delaware is 3.75%) but I feel I got screwed on the registration money. Should I call and ***** at the manager?
Old 9/8/11 | 08:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Let it go. Move on and enjoy your new LS.
Old 9/8/11 | 08:41 AM

Let me get this straight. You bought a LS at MSRP and your upset at the dealership because your lack of knowledge cost you a extra $3,000????

Man, you got a GREAT deal on the car and really the blame isn't the dealerships it's ......

Buying a car in another state=not too bad but registering it in another state=not good!

Be glad you got a awesome car and a better then deal then you deserve!
Old 9/8/11 | 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Not sure why the dealer would care where it was registered...?
Old 9/8/11 | 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Not sure why the dealer would care where it was registered...?
They made it a contingency of sale to register the car in AZ. I was told (erroneously) that I would get refunded the $900 in registration if I register it in Delaware and then request a refund with the state of Arizona.

Well, AZ's online form won't accept my information because I have an out-of-state driver's license and their manual form explicitly states that refunds do not apply if it's registered elsewhere.

Meh, it's essentially water under the bridge at this point but part of me wants to call and complain just to see if they will come through with some financial assistance.
Old 9/8/11 | 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I feel as though you got hosed, even if it was your own fault.
The principal of the matter suggests you raise issue, but legally I think you are out of luck unless you got what they said in writing.

I would still try raising the issue with the dealership, they might actually try and help you work it out.
Old 9/8/11 | 01:52 PM
V6 Member

$$$$

I live in AZ, but bought my Boss in CA, did lots of checking on it first, I had to have my car shipped to AZ to avoid paying tax and license in Ca, and have the dealership send all the paperwork to the AZ motor vehicle
Old 9/8/11 | 02:24 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
"they couldn't 100% verify that I'm a US citizen and Ford didn't want snowbirds (Canadians) taking the cars back to Canada."
Unless Ford suddenly changed their policy, this is not correct.
Old 9/8/11 | 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

I see no gain for the dealer whether you register in AZ or Pakistan.

As far as I know, and all I have EVER seen in 15 years, is that the vehicle must be registered at the buyers residence. Not sure how you could register a vehicle in AZ if you live in CA...?
Old 9/8/11 | 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I am buying my car thru a dealer in AL, and it is being courtesy shipped here to Mass. Car was actually built this week.

Anyways, I am not paying any sales tax to Alabama, I am paying sales tax to Mass and only Mass. The dealer is sending me all my paperwork with the bottom line being only the sticker price of the car plus his document fees of $250.

The way it was explained to me was since my car will never touch ground in Alabama, it will never be delivered in Alabama, and it will never be registered in Alabama, I only have to pay the state of Mass. sales tax of 6.25%
Old 9/8/11 | 03:53 PM
GT Member

What should have happened is the AZ dealer should have worked with DE and collected DE tax and done the registration for u in DE. When I purchased my 05 GT3 in Boston they registered it in Fl and remitted Fl sales tax. No way u should have had to pay AZ taxes. Now dealer fees are another matter.

Peter
Old 9/8/11 | 05:24 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

if you had the car shipped you should have not payed AZ tax you would pay the tax for your state. If you picked up the car here in AZ yes you have to pay the state tax. It all about when you got the car.

which dealer was this??
Old 9/8/11 | 05:30 PM
FR500 Member

Of course it varies state by state. When I was shopping PA would charge sales tax to out of state residents, while NY does not.
Old 9/8/11 | 05:47 PM
GT Member

I bought a 911 from Scottsdale Lotus and did not pay sales tax in AZ. My dealer had temp AZ registration done for shipping to NY. When I registered in NY I paid my local tax. They screwed up and it cost you the difference. Sorry.
Steve
Old 9/8/11 | 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Unless Ford suddenly changed their policy, this is not correct.
I think they were just being lazy and didn't want to deal with the Delaware DMV. They made me register the car at a friend's house in AZ (06GT here) which was odd but whatever.

Regardless, it's done now. I probably could have refused the deal but then I would have been out a new LS at MSRP available for delivery immediately.

So be it.
Old 9/8/11 | 06:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well, congrats on a new LS at MSRP!!!
Old 9/8/11 | 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Hahahahahaha, thanks.
Old 9/8/11 | 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Well Done Scott....Turning Lemons into Lemonade !
Old 9/8/11 | 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I think they were just being lazy and didn't want to deal with the Delaware DMV.
This is exactly what the problem is. I work at a dealership that sells everywhere, and it is a major PITA for the title clerks to deal with anything non-Texas. Heck, it's a pretty large PITA dealing outside Harris County. Sounds like that dealer is just not interested in doing the legwork, or they have a b*tchy title clerk.

They made me register the car at a friend's house in AZ (06GT here) which was odd but whatever.
I find that to be... sounding illegal. But perhaps I don't know Arizona Law. You don't live there, it doesn't seem as if they should be able to title it anywhere else but where you live.

There is $3000 on the table, sounds like, and that's incentive enough for me to at least give a call to the Arizona State DMV and ask them politely if this is allowed. If it isn't, I'd be bringing that up to the dealership and asking politely if they'd like to, oh, I dunno, fix it free and refund you directly for their screw up.

I'm serious, unless someone wants to school me, this sounds as if they have majorly screwed with the law.

/but I guess I don't really care, it's more of an interesting side item to me.
//Grats on your purchase and enjoy your LS!
Old 9/8/11 | 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the deal. None of that money went to the state of AZ, it all went to the dealership. You cannot register nor can you pay sales tax on a new vehicle (and I am fairly certain this is true on any car you buy from a dealership) in any state that you do not live. The dealer does the paperwork (registration and taxes) for you in the state you live in and have proof of residence. Otherwise I would go to one of the states that have no sales tax on vehicles and very low registration fees and buy all my cars and save thousands...... I would double check ALL your paperwork to see exactly how these "AZ tax and title and registration" fees appear on the paperwork. I have a feeling it doesn't look right.

This whole thing sounds very weird....

Quick Reply: Should I take issue with my dealership or not bother?