2012-2013 BOSS 302

Replacement exhaust for 2012 Boss

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/13, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement exhaust for 2012 Boss

So before anyone flames me, I did search the forum and did not find the answers I am looking for.

OK now the questions: Those of you that have replaced your stock Boss exhaust; what did you go with?

I am looking at the 2011gt500 style axle back from American Muscle, anybody have any experience or opinions on this one?

The guys at AM are great and have told me that this muffler is the stock gt 500 and has a much better sound; even better than the Ford Racing version that is almost $500 more.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 6/11/13, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by vbstang13
So before anyone flames me, I did search the forum and did not find the answers I am looking for.

OK now the questions: Those of you that have replaced your stock Boss exhaust; what did you go with?

I am looking at the 2011gt500 style axle back from American Muscle, anybody have any experience or opinions on this one?

The guys at AM are great and have told me that this muffler is the stock gt 500 and has a much better sound; even better than the Ford Racing version that is almost $500 more.

Yes the gt500 axle backs sound great, especially in conjunction with the boss side pipes open
Old 6/11/13, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

It might be a tad louder, but you might as well stick with what you have. I would by some type if aftermarket system.
Old 6/11/13, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I put GT500 mufflers on and I'm very happy with the sound.... Big improvement.
Old 6/11/13, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

Cut those resonators off while your at it.
Old 6/11/13, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would look at GT cat backs if you want something louder, you can do away with the side pipes or reference the cat back sounds of the GT's to decide what mufflers to go with.
Old 6/11/13, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did RTR / magnaflow on mine. mostly because it was black. i'd say they are actually quieter than the stock mufflers. no idea why they are probably 1/2 the size.
Old 6/11/13, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford Racing is rebadged Borla S-types from what I'm told. Seriously, just get Borla
Old 6/11/13, 08:48 PM

I just got the 500gt's installed today. The sound is perfect for me with the side pipes drilled to 13/16". You might look at Levittown ($269/pair). Much throatier/deeper sound and a touch louder than stock. I liked the stock exhaust but this is much better.
Old 6/11/13, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the feedback,keep em coming.

I'm getting closer to making the decision; I listened to way too many exhaust sound clips on you tube. The Roush axle backs sound good also.

Brewmaster Is the sound much deeper and louder with the gt500 axle back vs the stock Boss exhaust? In some of the sound clips I listened to it was hard to tell.( I took out the baffles in my side exhaust)
Old 6/11/13, 10:09 PM

Thanks for all the feedback,keep em coming.

I'm getting closer to making the decision; I listened to way too many exhaust sound clips on you tube. The Roush axle backs sound good also.

Brewmaster Is the sound much deeper and louder with the gt500 axle back vs the stock Boss exhaust? In some of the sound clips I listened to it was hard to tell.( I took out the baffles in my side exhaust)
It is not a huge difference but very noticable. I don't want a real loud exhaust but this is slightly louder than stock. What I like is that the tone is noticeably deeper. If you are looking for a huge difference and a lot of volume the gt500 is not the way to go. I have read it will get a little louder with age though. You just can't beat the price compared with the big names. I tried the baffles out but didn't like the jake brake sound when backing off the throttle. BTW, I only drive with the Red Key, which also makes a difference.
Old 6/12/13, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

You'll definitely love the GT500 Style Mufflers. I have them on my 2011 GT, paired together with Long tubes and an X-Pipe and it sounds incredible! No drone at all and you can still here your self think, which is always a good thing.

I hope this helps! We appreciate your kind words, please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 6/12/13, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
You'll definitely love the GT500 Style Mufflers. I have them on my 2011 GT, paired together with Long tubes and an X-Pipe and it sounds incredible! No drone at all and you can still here your self think, which is always a good thing.

I hope this helps! We appreciate your kind words, please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
AMDan; thanks for jumping in here and giving your opinion, I sent a pm to your guy Shane over at another forum and got good info from him also. I do have a question for you; is the installation of the roush axle back a direct bolt on like the gt500 and will it work with the rear valance on the Boss ('12) wihout any modifications?

I have always been very happy with everything I have purchased from AM and the customer service is great. I'm sure it helps your business but AM reps being proactive on a lot of the mustang forums is very helpful and appreciated.

Brewmaster Thanks, very helpful info.
Old 6/12/13, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The answer to your question is YES. Roush axel backs are a direct bolt on and will fit the 12 valance. I run them and I'm very happy with the sound.
Old 6/15/13, 10:11 PM

Thanks for all the input guys; I made my decision and went with the Roush axle back.

Ordered on Thursday got them on Friday installing them on Sunday!!
American Muscle is FAST !!
Old 6/18/13, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Thanks for all the input guys; I made my decision and went with the Roush axle back.

Ordered on Thursday got them on Friday installing them on Sunday!!
American Muscle is FAST !!
I've had the Roush since last fall. They look great and sound better as they get older.

No side discs for me. I also just installed the Jegs Performance Cat Delete Pipes. Now the Boss sounds like a beast and not bad inside the cabin with A/C on/windows up.

You'll love the Roush's. Let us know.
Old 6/18/13, 05:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boss949
I've had the Roush since last fall. They look great and sound better as they get older.

No side discs for me. I also just installed the Jegs Performance Cat Delete Pipes. Now the Boss sounds like a beast and not bad inside the cabin with A/C on/windows up.

So you have the side pipes all the way open with no restriction at all ??
My Boss with Cat Deletes and side pipes open is very loud, and not in a good way. Sounds like a Harley Drag bike when you're on the throttle.
I'm thinking of completely capping off the side pipes.
Old 6/18/13, 05:45 PM
GT Member

It just gets down to a matter of personal taste. Do what you like and what appeals for your needs. Down here in Texas, Loud is good. Plus, I'm 62 and have rock n' roll ears!!!
Old 6/18/13, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boss949

It's been two days and I absolutely love the sound of the Roush exhaust, I haven't had the radio on at all. And with the track key, the rumble, shake and crackle is awesome.

I had a friend that offered to help with the install so that freed up some extra money to get the better exhaust. The Roush axle back is worth every penny and the install was pretty easy and they look great too.

No side discs for me either, took those out last year.
Old 6/19/13, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Same here with radio. Who needs it?

Quick Reply: Replacement exhaust for 2012 Boss