Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Rear Seat Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/11, 04:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Seat Delete

Just got this, has not arrived yet but since I am doing a roll bar and belts I thought it best to add. No X brace but I do not need that now. American Muscle has a setup about the same for $150 I was going to get. They had a make offer bid so I put $85 in ($37 shipping) and they accepted it. Others could try something lower.

Edit

Arrived today in US Postal Service boxes turned inside out but via UPS, lol

Take out the rear seat bottom, then remove the three lower bolts holding the seat backs on and the brackets where the seats latch up top. There is some weight to these seat backs, more then the bottom. Remove the two bolts holding the seat belts in place on the floor.

The hardest part is getting the seat belt retractors out. You have to take out the package tray covering, to do that you need to take out the side arm rests. Remove the door sill, then pull the whole arm rest panel out.

Once the package tray is out you can see the bolts to remove the seat belt retractor out. I tried to reach it without taking the sail panel out but in the end I had to remove it. to remove the sail panel remove the screw for the coat hanger, and the bolt for the front seat belt shoulder harness. Then pull it outward.

On the drivers side rear arm rest a clip was bent because it was not installed properly from the factory, found the same thing on the sail panel right side and it broke trying to straighten it out. Also found several clips that were not pushed all the way into place, like wiring harnesses.

Once the seat belts are out, reinstall the side arm rests, sail panels, sill panels, coat hooks and front seat belt shoulder harnesses. Then the panels go into place very simply.

I did need to use thicker push pins on the upper panels, they were too thin to stay in place. The bottom panel is a little short at the front outside edges. I will email them to find out what is up with that but for now push the push pins through the fabric as close to the rear of the hole in the lower panel, that will let it sit as far forward as possble.

All in all looks better IMHO. Even if the color is off but I expected that. The panels are stronger then I had thought. They will not hold up to adult sitting on them but for those with kids you could tape a baby down to the panel in a pinch and it would support that.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/13/11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on doing this same thing next year. I will be interested in how strong it is. I have heard that the board it is made of can be flimsy. I thought I might also tie the rear shock towers together with Steeda bar. Would be nice to get the LS brace, but not for the money they are asking!
Old 11/9/11, 06:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
I plan on doing this same thing next year. I will be interested in how strong it is. I have heard that the board it is made of can be flimsy. I thought I might also tie the rear shock towers together with Steeda bar. Would be nice to get the LS brace, but not for the money they are asking!
Most of these companies do say this is more for looks and if you put heavy things on them, they will break. I never carry anything back there so I don't mind. It is more for completing the look with the bar in place. I know the color will also be off since they call it black and out interior is charcoal.

I figure with the bar I don't need the brace, I know they are two different things but both would be overkill, IMO.

Ordered the Maximum Motorsports rollbar from http://www.lpiracing.com they are great to deal with.
Old 11/9/11, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really wish there was some sort of harness bar that could be put in and taken out. i want something that keeps my upper body in place. being that my car is a daily driver and i have kids in the back seat daily anything that blocks that back seat is a no go for me.
Old 11/9/11, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i really wish there was some sort of harness bar that could be put in and taken out. i want something that keeps my upper body in place. being that my car is a daily driver and i have kids in the back seat daily anything that blocks that back seat is a no go for me.
I hear there is but don't have links. It will keep you upper body in place while the roof caves in (if you roll) not worth the risk IMHO. That is why I need the bar if I want the belts.
Old 11/9/11, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Just got this, has not arrived yet but since I am doing a roll bar and belts I thought it best to add. No X brace but I do not need that now. American Muscle has a setup about the same for $150 I was going to get. They had a make offer bid so I put $85 in ($37 shipping) and they accepted it. Others could try something lower.

ebay.com/itm/05-09-10-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-V6-COUPE-REAR-SEAT-DELETE-KIT-/110580176393?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item19bf179609
Thanks got mine for 84 + 36 shipping
Old 11/9/11, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Very cool! Post pics when you get everything done. I plan on installing a MM 4 point as well. However I am going to add some extra bracing to it.
Old 11/9/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

FWIW, I was told by a friend who buys Ford Parts at cost +10% that the LS rear seat delete panels (WITHOUT the cross-brace) would cost him ~$2,000. So, the alternative here seems like a good deal.
Old 11/9/11, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
FWIW, I was told by a friend who buys Ford Parts at cost +10% that the LS rear seat delete panels (WITHOUT the cross-brace) would cost him ~$2,000. So, the alternative here seems like a good deal.
Yeah, I agree thats way too much
Old 11/9/11, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
:crap: that is a lot for 20 bucks worth of material

Originally Posted by adam81
Very cool! Post pics when you get everything done. I plan on installing a MM 4 point as well. However I am going to add some extra bracing to it.
Have you read the instructions yet? 87.635% of them is cutting up the rear side panels. Looks like they are not going back in if I can swing that. You gonna cut them or leave them out?
Old 11/9/11, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Have you read the instructions yet? 87.635% of them is cutting up the rear side panels. Looks like they are not going back in if I can swing that. You gonna cut them or leave them out?
I am buying different side panels and cutting those up...... Anyone know if our side panels are the same as a regular mustang either gt or v6?
Old 11/9/11, 09:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by adam81
I am buying different side panels and cutting those up...... Anyone know if our side panels are the same as a regular mustang either gt or v6?
I doubt there is any difference, let me know what prices you come up with. As long as the seat delete fits I am leaving it blank and will make some kind of covering if needed.

I took out the seat bottom but not he backs for now. You can really hear the Torsen scream.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/9/11 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11/9/11, 09:14 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Question guys. Exactly why are you guys removing your rear seats anyways? Just curious.
Old 11/9/11, 09:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Scott, what roll bar are you getting?
Link to product site?
Old 11/9/11, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Link to product site?
MM, seems like the best I could find.

Sport 4-point Mustang Roll Bar, no door bars, removable harness mount, 2005+ hardtop Mm5RB-20.3 (20.2 is a fixed bar)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=309_415_502 &products_id=1322

Bought the roll bar and belts from Monty at http://www.lpiracing.com real nice guy to deal with. It will be shipped from the factory but still got a better price fom LPI.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/9/11 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11/10/11, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Ours is coming along nicely. We aren't first to market, so we have to be better. MM looks to be a good product. We are trying to "one-up" on this alternative. Maybe have some pics soon....
Old 11/10/11, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Question guys. Exactly why are you guys removing your rear seats anyways? Just curious.
Still no answer? I understand if your roll bar interferes with the rear seat. Otherwise, the rear seat is pretty light and also helps muffle some of the under car and trunk noise. But I'm thinking that it is just cosmetic.
Old 11/10/11, 01:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Still no answer? I understand if your roll bar interferes with the rear seat. Otherwise, the rear seat is pretty light and also helps muffle some of the under car and trunk noise. But I'm thinking that it is just cosmetic.
I cannot speak for the others, but at my age the rear seat isnt much use any more. If you get my drift.
Old 11/10/11, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by phiggs54

I cannot speak for the others, but at my age the rear seat isnt much use any more. If you get my drift.
Lol. I hear ya man. I don't think the mustang rear seat was ever designed for that.
Old 11/10/11, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I always ride with my rear seats folded down, it allows you to hear more of the exhaust. So does anyone know if a cross brace like the LS is in the works? Id like to get the LS cross brace but its not worth the money that ford is asking IMO.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Delete