Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

QTP Exhaust Cut-Outs: Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/11, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QTP Exhaust Cut-Outs: Install Questions

Looking for some assistance on installing a set of the QTP Exhaust cut-outs. I'm just too old to crawl under the car each time I want to hear the open exhausts.

Mounting the units on the side pipes is the easy part. Can anyone who has installed the electrical wiring and switch or remote control module offer any advice on:

How you ran the wires and where you terminated them, mounting either the open/close toggle switch or the remote module?

How you avoided the heat of the exhaust and/or cats?

Is there room to mount the switch on the "blank" panel inside the rear console storage compartment, adjacent to the Aux Input jack?

Is there room behind this panel to fit the switch without the adjacent cup holder compartment getting in the way?

Is there room at the bottom of this storage compartment for the wireless remote control module?

Any other recommended locations for the switch or module?

Where did you obtain the power for the control unit or switch?

Any photos would be appreciated as well.

I tried to convince Barry of QTP to make a slight "detour" from Las Vegas to CA for an install, but he had to get back to NJ. There was a KB BOSS belonging to a Shelby
VP in their both at SEMA, with their cutouts installed, but I could never run him down to get any install info. Besides, with the resources at Shelby's facility @ LVMS, I doubt that he was "hands on" for the install.

Thanks in Advance

Charlie
Old 11/12/11, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just want to add that while I haven't added mine to my GT500 yet, that the hardware on these is absolutely first rate. Well designed and well executed pieces.

I tested mine with a quick 12v power up...

I'm interested to how everyone else wired theirs up as well, Charlie. There are number of ways to do it and I'm looking for something simple and durable as far as protection from heat, etc. Same as you Charlie! Barry was a gentleman and a great guy to deal with when I bought mine as well.

Tob
Old 11/12/11, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hasn't QTP provided installation instructions yet?
Old 11/12/11, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

They didn't have them completed when I purchased mine as they were in a rush to get everything together for the trip to SEMA, along with a recent move to another facility.
Old 11/12/11, 02:49 PM
GT Member

There is a link here or on the 302 fourm on the install with pics. The installation is very easy. The only suggest I would make is order the male part of the plug that is in the console.Prewire it to the 2nd wire on the bottom it is hot when the key is on. There is a ground post next to it to put a ring terminal on. Best
Old 11/12/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
[QUOTE=Tob*;6177614]They didn't have them completed when I purchased mine as they were in a rush to get everything together for the trip to SEMA, along with a recent move to another facility.[/QUOTE]

Thats double . Hope they gave you a huge discount.
Old 11/12/11, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Hasn't QTP provided installation instructions yet?
Nope.

Guess no one on the East Coast near New Jersey wants to "step up to the plate" and volunteer their car for the install so QTP can photo and document the process.
Old 11/12/11, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
There is a link here or on the 302 fourm on the install with pics. The installation is very easy. The only suggest I would make is order the male part of the plug that is in the console.Prewire it to the 2nd wire on the bottom it is hot when the key is on. There is a ground post next to it to put a ring terminal on. Best
Jim,
You lost me on this one..........
Old 11/13/11, 02:50 AM
V6 Member

Charlie,
Check out this post and on page eight some links to photos and video related to the installation. I think you will understand what Jim was meaning after your see this, I believe it relates to an electrical plug in the console where you have a power port.
https://themustangsource.com/f813/re...493062/index8/

Last edited by MoscowBoss; 11/13/11 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11/13/11, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MoscowBoss
Charlie,
Check out this post and on page eight some links to photos and video related to the installation. I think you will understand what Jim was meaning after your see this, I believe it relates to an electrical plug in the console where you have a power port.
https://themustangsource.com/f813/re...493062/index8/
Thank you. Now I understand about the power source Sent some PM's to the author and others who posted about successful installations.

Still looking for info on if you must remove the shifter ball to lift up the console top in order to access this area, which leads to the question of how to do it without damaging the ball and torquing the hell out of the shifter stem.

Also where in the console the wireless module will fit. The underside stuff looks pretty straightforward, except for where to bring up the control wires into the interior of the car.
Old 11/13/11, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

One Less Headache: Shifter Ball can Stay

Thanks for the PM Jim Woodruff

For others contemplating console installation of the QTP control module or switch he advises that you do not have to remove the shifter ball to lift the console top out of the way in order to access the inside of it enough to run the wires and hook up the electrical. Great News !
Old 11/13/11, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by boss man

Thats double . Hope they gave you a huge discount.
Um....no. It's the truth. And regarding pricing, QTP was very fair about it.
Old 11/14/11, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
I offered my car and they asked what mods have been done to it? I told them that it was stock and if I agreed to let them install the cutouts that I would trailer the car to them and only the car will be driven on and off the lift to do there work. I guess my wishes or demands were to much for them.

Last edited by boss man; 11/14/11 at 09:16 AM. Reason: gag order
Old 11/14/11, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by boss man
I offered my car and they asked what mods have been done to it? I told them that it was stock and if I agreed to let them install the cutouts that I would trailer the car to them and only the car will be driven on and off the lift to do there work. I guess my wishes or demands were to much for them.
Sounded like a reasonable request. Too bad us QTP buyers have to forge blindly ahead on their installs. But with assistance from TMS Forum members like Jim Woodruff we're getting more info day by day. Thanks Jim

Last edited by chief_charlie; 11/14/11 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11/14/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

BM, who at QTP did you speak with?
Old 11/14/11, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tob*
BM, who at QTP did you speak with?
did not speak with anyone by phone. It was all done by E-mails back in June I do believe. It started on TMS. QTP was looking for a boss and I replied.
https://themustangsource.com/f813/qt...utouts-496227/
Line#4 was the start

Last edited by boss man; 11/14/11 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11/14/11, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I see where you're coming from.
Old 11/15/11, 05:49 AM
GT Member

Gentlemen, When you purchased the cut outs from quick time they gave you a big discount because they did not have the instructions ready, now is not the time to complain. They have been great people to respond to questions. Forget it install and listen to the great sound. It is worth it. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 11/15/11, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Your use of the word "gentlemen" implies more than one. I have the distinct feeling you are including me with respect to your statement about complaining.

You are mistaken. I've done nothing but say good things about the hardware as well as the service I have received from QTP. I also mentioned that QTP's pricing was favorable as well.