Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Previous Boss Track Attack Attendies!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/13, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previous Boss Track Attack Attendies!!!

I was considering buying a GoPro Hero Camera for this event. Has anyone used one at the track attack? Do you have time to mount the camera in different places? Hood/fender/rollbar? If you did bring/used one for this even do you feel it's was worth while bringing it, or should I just enjoy my time and not worry about filming it.
Old 8/29/13, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
you can bring it....they will give you time to set yours up in the car.
they also sell one similar to gopro called ion i believe....i did not get one but there were 2 or 3 guys in my group that wanted the camera in the car....the instructors helped them set it up. one put on the outside one put on the inside of car. no worries on this....
you will have a blast..... just remember that the car can do more than what you expect it to. pay attention to the instructors and do what they tell you!
jon capps was my instructor and he told me i needed to drive faster and have confidence in the car....then he took me out for the hot lap.!!! wow thats all i can say.
thanks jon!!
Old 8/29/13, 11:14 AM

No doubt...get some sort of camera to film your experience. I STILL watch the videos from my June TA event. There will be plenty of time for you to mount and change camera positions...just don't get carried away.

Make absolute certain that you get a suction cup mount or a rollbar mount as they will not allow the sticky mounts (with GoPro cameras).

You will not regret capturing this experience, you will be sitting in your hotel room recapping your day with the camera with an ear to ear grin.
Old 8/29/13, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Get the roll bar mount you'll be able to see yourself, hand placement, shifting, etc.

Also READ about the Spot Meter;

Turn on Spot Meter when filming from within a dark space pointing the camera into a brighter setting, such as filming the outdoors from within a car.

If you don't you'll have a great video of in the car but everything outside will washout!
Old 8/30/13, 12:47 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the input! Could you guys tell me what camera you used and a clip of how you recording turned out?
Old 8/30/13, 03:59 AM
Cobra Member

I am here in Salt Lake City, waiting to attend my track day at Miller later this morning. I had experimented a lot with a friends gopro hero2 and was going to bring it... But he dropped it in the ocean w/o the waterproof housing and the salt killed it, go figure. I was hesitant to get a new hero3 after reading the Internet horror stories about crap firmware, sd card probs, and sucky battery life. But after my friends camera died, and the eBay hero2 I got was defective, I snagged a hero3 white edition at Walmart.

They must have worked out the bugs in the firmware, as mine works fine. Got the suction cup mount and the backpac battery pack, and 32 and 16g microSD cards. You get about 90 mins with the standard battery or 3.5+ hours with the backpac recording video at 1080p.

I had used the suction cup mount inside my car with the hero2, but 1) they only allow roll bar mounts inside the car, and 2) that view sucks compared to outside. I will be mounting mine on the roof, which gives the best perspective. The hood is fine, but all you see is the track, I'd like to see the nose of the car. There are plenty of YouTube vids if you do a search.

I will check out the bullet cam they sell at Miller, it would be good for driver footage. A good video of the track event will have multiple camera angle and different perspectives. There are a few other drivers with gopro cams, and I am going to see if I can get them to share footage of our track day.

I will post a few clips of my track event later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 8/31/13, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I was in class with ace and picked up a white as well. Unfortunately I took some advice to get the roll bar mount. There was no good location to attach and when I found one, we were running out of time and had to be back in class. I got it hooked up, but after reviewing video, I have mostly dash and LS gauge cluster, couldn't get the track or entry/exit of corners. Suction is the way to go. The instructors won't let you attach it to the paint, but ace had it on the quarter window, I'm sure his footage is money.
Old 8/31/13, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The day is busy - and very interesting. The only time I wasn't fully engaged either driving or participating in the classroom sessions was at lunch. I'd recommend just taking it all in and enjoying without the worry of setting up a camera.

Memories of good experiences are better than what any camera can capture anyway - and it will definitely be a good experience.

Enjoy!
Old 8/31/13, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ninjacrooks
I was in class with ace and picked up a white as well. Unfortunately I took some advice to get the roll bar mount. There was no good location to attach and when I found one, we were running out of time and had to be back in class. I got it hooked up, but after reviewing video, I have mostly dash and LS gauge cluster, couldn't get the track or entry/exit of corners. Suction is the way to go. The instructors won't let you attach it to the paint, but ace had it on the quarter window, I'm sure his footage is money.
I will be happy to share my track footage with you, just pm me and I can email or Skype xfer the mp4 files to you. Had no idea if I got any of my hot laps at the end of the day with a dying battery, got just over 1.5 laps of that hell ride at the end of the day!

Last edited by ace72ace; 8/31/13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 8/31/13, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ninjacrooks
Here make up your own mind.

First thing as you walk into the garage, look for your car, it's got your name on it, have the GoPro preassembled, one button on/off, spot meter on.

Open the passenger side door, mount it on the harness bar offset a little bit to the passenger side.

Before your session, before to strap in, turn on the GoPro. After the session before you get out of the car turn it off.

Before lunch at the end of the session remove the camera, charge.

After lunch before you go back into the classroom, put it back into the car.

Go to Best Buy and grab an accessory bag when you get the roll bar mount...........or use a suction cup and mount to the upper left of the wind screen. you won't even notice it in the window.

Look past the pictures for videos of both, I've done it both ways...........

Don't worry about the couple of extra bucks for the accessory bag. I don't use the GoPro for Motorsports any longer but it gets used all the time, white water rafting last summer, we use it in a glider (my son is learning to fly), rock climbing/rappelling/zip lining, biking, karting.......you'll want to take it everywhere!

Here a couple of pictures of how you want it assembled.

Name:  DSCF9394.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  DSCF9395.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  26.7 KB

AIM SmartyCam that replaced the GoPro video isn't as good as the GoPro but I got data......

Last edited by GT_350; 8/31/13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 9/2/13, 11:16 PM

Ok I picked up the Hero 3 Black with rollbar and suction cup mount. I'm gonna do some practice runs with my own car inside and out to check the lighting. I haven't found spot mode yet but I didn't get to read the whole instruction book yet. I guess I should pick up an extra battery.