Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/12, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:
Just wanted to thank you all for the information on this site. Already, I know more than my dealer, who while nice enough, had little information about my new 2013 Boss 302. I learned more here in five minutes than in all the conversations I've had with the salesmen, the owner and even a mechanic. By the way, they knew nothing of the track day, very little about the key and the mechanic indicated that I do not have to manually remove the restrictor plates to open up the side pipes. They are controlled by a servo. That, I have not seen here or anywhere else

I have a lot of questions but I've been trolling and will keep doing so to see what I can learn through whatever has already been posted. I love the handling of this car, the power and the looks it gets. I was considering an M3 at one point. I'm glad I saved my money and did not buy that and got something more in line with the kind of cars I really like!

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 7/16/12, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Wecome.

You will enjoy your BOSS I am sure. There is more to Mustangs than you are aware of yet. It is a culture. My first Mustang was a 65 I had in 1975. Once in your blood you will always be a "Mustang Guy/Girl"!!
Old 7/16/12, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Mustang people are the best, especially the Boss crowd.
Ask away and someone will answer.
Old 7/16/12, 03:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RoushF150
Wecome.

You will enjoy your BOSS I am sure. There is more to Mustangs than you are aware of yet. It is a culture. My first Mustang was a 65 I had in 1975. Once in your blood you will always be a "Mustang Guy/Girl"!!

My first was a 1968 in 1982. Side pipes. L50 15s on the back. An abomination but I loved it. Wife learned to drive on a Mustang and our last one was a 2005 convertible we sold a year or so ago.
Old 7/16/12, 03:14 PM
GT Member

I'm going to take you up on that.
Old 7/16/12, 04:27 PM

Welcome! Have fun be safe but don't look to activate the complimentary Sirius. Not on the Boss.Listen to the exhaust !
Old 7/16/12, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

Welcome
Old 7/16/12, 08:27 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome
Old 7/16/12, 08:32 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's Awesome Jeff. Congrats on getting your car and thanks for joining us here on the forum.
All My Best Jeff.------Bill
Old 7/16/12, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats, would love to see some pictures!
Old 7/17/12, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I was actually wondering about the Sirius! Usually, they offer a few months free. My dealer is not very up on this car.

However, on the Boss I believe the radio is Sirius ready but not equipped to receive it without an additional module? I do love the exhaust note but my car is a daily driver (something that makes the local car enthusaists shudder) so I want to get the Sirius going at some point and an integrated Nav system as I hate wires and stuck on units all over the place. I'll have to figure out something. Might have to change the whole radio over as the Sirius module alone is $329. Maybe I can get a Nav equipped Sirius operational radio and at the same time upgrade the speakers a bit? Sound systems are not my primary concern but it would be nice to have a better system in there. I'm more concerned about letting someone tear into the car for the install. I also dont want them to screw up the Mysynch functions.

I'm also going to need another set of rims and some all season tires. It gets below 40 here in the winter and although I wont deliberately take it out in the snow I will be driving in cold weather from about November to March/April. I'm thinking about the stock rims for the 302 (and the Shelby) I saw on the Ford site for about $256 each which my dealer indicated he would discount. Tirerack has rims for the same price but they wont look as good as these I'm sure. I just need to figure out the best tire - and make sure they fit!
Old 7/17/12, 02:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Twins
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I was actually wondering about the Sirius! Usually, they offer a few months free. My dealer is not very up on this car.

However, on the Boss I believe the radio is Sirius ready but not equipped to receive it without an additional module? I do love the exhaust note but my car is a daily driver (something that makes the local car enthusaists shudder) so I want to get the Sirius going at some point and an integrated Nav system as I hate wires and stuck on units all over the place. I'll have to figure out something. Might have to change the whole radio over as the Sirius module alone is $329. Maybe I can get a Nav equipped Sirius operational radio and at the same time upgrade the speakers a bit? Sound systems are not my primary concern but it would be nice to have a better system in there. I'm more concerned about letting someone tear into the car for the install. I also dont want them to screw up the Mysynch functions.

I'm also going to need another set of rims and some all season tires. It gets below 40 here in the winter and although I wont deliberately take it out in the snow I will be driving in cold weather from about November to March/April. I'm thinking about the stock rims for the 302 (and the Shelby) I saw on the Ford site for about $256 each which my dealer indicated he would discount. Tirerack has rims for the same price but they wont look as good as these I'm sure. I just need to figure out the best tire - and make sure they fit!
There is another option for the Sirius radio:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/is...ury-vehicles-1

By using the above kit....you retain the factory radio and preserve Sync functions. Took me @ 4 hours to install myself....but I took it slow since I'm not familiar with the inside of our dash.

Wayne
Old 7/17/12, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Senderofan
There is another option for the Sirius radio:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/is...ury-vehicles-1

By using the above kit....you retain the factory radio and preserve Sync functions. Took me @ 4 hours to install myself....but I took it slow since I'm not familiar with the inside of our dash.

Wayne
I think I read your post about that while I was browsing earlier posts. That may be the way I go. With that kit, I dont ahve to buy anything else correct? I'm still without Nav but I can go with a portable unit if I must.

Anyone have any insight into what "all season" type tires I could go with for late fall, winter and early spring driving?
Old 7/17/12, 03:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have any insight into what "all season" type tires I could go with for late fall, winter and early spring driving?
I don't drive Bullitt in winter cause its garaged and really deep snow here. But I really like the BFG KDWS that came stock (18's) from Miller Motorsports Park testing. They have really decent traction on two lane twisties - really have to push hard to get any oversteer fun even coming out of tight corners in 2nd. And they give me some of the all season protection for the frosty mountain passes/shady curves I drive in spring through fall. But I don't know if they fit the Boss wheels?

Welcome to TMS. Like you, I knew way more than my Dealer before I walked in their door thanx to this forum and Ford's site.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/17/12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 7/17/12, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Hello:
Just wanted to thank you all for the information on this site. Already, I know more than my dealer, who while nice enough, had little information about my new 2013 Boss 302. I learned more here in five minutes than in all the conversations I've had with the salesmen, the owner and even a mechanic. By the way, they knew nothing of the track day, very little about the key and the mechanic indicated that I do not have to manually remove the restrictor plates to open up the side pipes. They are controlled by a servo. That, I have not seen here or anywhere else
I laughed when I read this. On the way to the dealership to buy my Boss yesterday I phoned the dealer and asked if they would be able to activate the track key while I was there (the dealership was an hour away from where I live).
He said "I'll check with the service department."
When I arrived I found the service manager in the car with the red key in the ignition and another service guy laying on the ground next to the car with his face pressed up against the rocker. I said "what's up guys?" and the service manager says "we think the red key makes exhaust come out of the side pipes."

Welcome to the forums! I'm a long-time reader but recent addition to the Boss-owners clan myself. I hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am.
Old 7/18/12, 02:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome
Old 7/18/12, 06:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Snowman
I laughed when I read this. On the way to the dealership to buy my Boss yesterday I phoned the dealer and asked if they would be able to activate the track key while I was there (the dealership was an hour away from where I live).
He said "I'll check with the service department."
When I arrived I found the service manager in the car with the red key in the ignition and another service guy laying on the ground next to the car with his face pressed up against the rocker. I said "what's up guys?" and the service manager says "we think the red key makes exhaust come out of the side pipes."

Welcome to the forums! I'm a long-time reader but recent addition to the Boss-owners clan myself. I hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am.
That's about what I found! I have yet to find the servo that "oens" the restrictor plates. I am really enjoying this car a lot!!!!! Friday night is car "show off" night around here at the local train station and I think jsut this once I have to attend with my Boss.

Can anyone tell me how to use the "launch control" assist. I dont see it on the track apps options or is it just a procedure you follow? I knocked off a 5 second flat 0-60 which is good considering my first attempt was a 6.7!
Old 7/18/12, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I don't drive Bullitt in winter cause its garaged and really deep snow here. But I really like the BFG KDWS that came stock (18's) from Miller Motorsports Park testing. They have really decent traction on two lane twisties - really have to push hard to get any oversteer fun even coming out of tight corners in 2nd. And they give me some of the all season protection for the frosty mountain passes/shady curves I drive in spring through fall. But I don't know if they fit the Boss wheels?

Welcome to TMS. Like you, I knew way more than my Dealer before I walked in their door thanx to this forum and Ford's site.
If anyone would know about snow it is you! We get some deep snow on occasion so I wont drive it then but I need something that will get me around in the rain and cold temperatures more than deep snow. I believe the Boss is on 19" wheels but maybe they may the BFG's in that size?
Old 7/18/12, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Never mind on the launch control information. Found the Trackey instructions on Ford's site. Should have looked there first. I've still got a lot to learn about this car.
Old 7/18/12, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think I read your post about that while I was browsing earlier posts. That may be the way I go. With that kit, I dont ahve to buy anything else correct? I'm still without Nav but I can go with a portable unit if I must.

I purchased the exact same kit that is shown in the link. Everything was included...nothing extra....except some zip ties to clean up the install....because the cables are extra long in some cases.

As far as all season tires....I did a quick search on Tire Rack...for our vehicle. They recommend an 18" wheel and tire combo.

Here's an example of an inexpensive rim that they recommend:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no

Here's a couple of excellent tires that fit the above rim:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....12&sortSize=18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....12&sortSize=18

I've had a set of the Pirelli Winter tires in the past. I could not be happier with their performance. I think you are extremely wise to heed Ford's warning to not drive the vehicle with the summer tires in cold conditions. It sounds like a really bad recipe waiting to happen.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

I would recommend consulting someone at Tire Rack .....or other reputable tire dealer...to make sure an 18" wheel would provide adequate clearance for the brake rotors and that the correct offset is maintained.

Last edited by Senderofan; 7/18/12 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie