Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

New Boss 302 Spring Option From Steeda!

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/11, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Boss 302 Spring Option From Steeda!

2012 Boss 302 owners, you own what is arguably the best handling and overall best performing Mustang ever produced. As good as Ford made it, it can be made even better!

We have taken the time to develop a Boss 302 specific set of springs for competition and street use. Our Boss 302 specific springs will greatly improve your Boss 302's overall weight distribution. This is achieved by lowering the ride height only 0.2 inches in the front, and 0.7 to 0.8 inches in the rear.

With the front ride height remaining largely unchanged your front roll center geometry remains intact. Spring rates are substantially increased to greatly reduce body roll and reduce nose dive under braking for greatly improved control and balance.

These springs achieve all of this while maintaining near stock ride quality characteristics making them completely streetable, so if you enjoy taking your Boss 302 Mustang around town, you will enjoy it even more with these springs!

Now in stock and ready to ship, part number 555-8245. Retail price is 299.95, our limited time introductory price will be 239.95. These are in stock now and ready to take your Boss 302 to the next level!

Order Link: http://www.steeda.com/store/boss-per...g-springs.html

Old 11/10/11, 02:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Gus have you done any on track testing with the springs? Do you have lap times to compare between stock and your springs?
Old 11/10/11, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Track testing was done by several owners with pre-production springs. All were different drivers and different tracks, but all achieved gains. Anywhere from one to 3 seconds depending on the track/driver, etc.....

The car pictured in this post will be running Daytona Beach International Speedway this weekend. That should be interesting
Old 11/10/11, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

what rates front and rear? And height before and after springs as measured at the fenders?
Old 11/10/11, 02:41 PM
GT Member

will they work on a regular 2011 GT
Old 11/10/11, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Track testing was done by several owners with pre-production springs. All were different drivers and different tracks, but all achieved gains. Anywhere from one to 3 seconds depending on the track/driver, etc.....

The car pictured in this post will be running Daytona Beach International Speedway this weekend. That should be interesting
your front roll center geometry remains intact
Thanks for that tidbit I asked that question on a different board.

I was there last month see "Service Advancetrac" Tread please post up if there are any problems..............here's a few self-serving photos of me!

Also please post up videos if you can!

Last edited by GT_350; 11/10/11 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11/10/11, 07:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
Thanks for that tidbit I asked that question on a different board.

I was there last month see "Service Advancetrac" Tread please post up if there are any problems..............here's a few self-serving photos of me!
Nice photos. Do you have the Steeda springs installed?
Old 11/10/11, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Nice photos. Do you have the Steeda springs installed?
Nope, I'm now thinking maybe............based on this quote from the OP

With the front ride height remaining largely unchanged your front roll center geometry remains intact. Spring rates are substantially increased to greatly reduce body roll and reduce nose dive under braking for greatly improved control and balance.
I didn't what to go down the road of different ball joints/bump steer kit, etc, etc, etc.

What I would like to know is how far the rear axel is off centered, though.........

And what are the new spring rates?

Steeda Gus?

Last edited by GT_350; 11/10/11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11/10/11, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder if these were the springs installed on the Patriot Boss? Who cares. Ordered.
Old 11/11/11, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss
what rates front and rear? And height before and after springs as measured at the fenders?
Spring rates are 225lb front, 195lb rear. The height change we are stating was measured from the top of the wheel well arch to the ground.
Old 11/11/11, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bud4au01
will they work on a regular 2011 GT
Yes they will, two things though....

1) We HIGHLY recommend changing the shocks and struts if you are putting these on a GT.

2) The drop will be more on a GT vs the Boss. Around 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch in the front and around 1 1/4 inches in the rear.
Old 11/11/11, 07:45 AM
FR500 Member

Spring rates are 225lb front, 195lb rear. The height change we are stating was measured from the top of the wheel well arch to the ground.
Since this totally changes the F/R spring rate balance, what else is needed to restore the handling balance?
What F/R tire sizes are these intended for?
What about the damping rates, how are the stock parts going to work with these spring rates?
I recall reading that the engineers did not lower the rear ride height because it hurt the handling, do we need LCA relocation brackets with this setup?

Last edited by PTRocks; 11/11/11 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11/11/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Since this totally changes the F/R spring rate balance, what else is needed to restore the handling balance?
What F/R tire sizes are these intended for?
What about the damping rates, how are the stock parts going to work with these spring rates?
I recall reading that the engineers did not lower the rear ride height because it hurt the handling, do we need LCA relocation brackets with this setup?
That will depend on the rest of your combination. The Boss shocks and struts work good with these springs, as mentioned earlier these springs will work on the GT but the stock shocks on that application really need to be changed to run these springs.

Hurt the handling in what way? The Mustang has been been too high in the rear since it was released in 2005. Bringing it down closer to level has time and time again proven to improve static weight distribution. We do this on every race car we build and its the way to go. If you've seen the videos I've posted in the past of our 20 race car, or seen pictures of racers in our press releases with 05+ cars, none of these have anywhere near the front to rear rake production cars do. Ride height looks nearly level.

Do you need control arm relocation brackets? That depends. If you have a grippy tire and have plenty of corner exit grip already, no... you dont. Plus you dont want to relocate the rear arms downward too far or you could possibly introduce wheel hop under braking, not a desireable thing to have.
Old 11/11/11, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
Nope, I'm now thinking maybe............based on this quote from the OP

I didn't what to go down the road of different ball joints/bump steer kit, etc, etc, etc.

What I would like to know is how far the rear axel is off centered, though.........

And what are the new spring rates?

Steeda Gus?
Answered he spring rates a few posts up. Back from the specs we received in 05 the rear end offset was left 6mm at stock ride height. I doubt that has changed since then although that seems to vary from car to car as well, as you would expect.
Old 11/11/11, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

On the topic of rear high, was that not implemented for aerodynamic reasons? Or was it mostly for image reasons(mimic the original rake of the boss). Also these are not progressive are they? The increased spring rates will help all of those who aren't running stock tires. And does this noticeably tighten up the ride a bit?

Whatever the case, this is too cheap to pass up from a reputable vendor with actual track experience!
Old 11/11/11, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
On the topic of rear high, was that not implemented for aerodynamic reasons? Or was it mostly for image reasons(mimic the original rake of the boss). Also these are not progressive are they? The increased spring rates will help all of those who aren't running stock tires. And does this noticeably tighten up the ride a bit?

Whatever the case, this is too cheap to pass up from a reputable vendor with actual track experience!
I can't speak for the Boss specifically, but the biggest reason the OEM's make the rear higher on any car that carries 4 passengers is to accomdate the suspension travel, or loss of it that is when you actually put passengers in the rear and the weight of passengers and their luggage is there.

Ever notice how much rake the new Ford Taurus has and the difference in wheel well gap stock? I've seen it that way and with a full load of passengers too, and that gap closes up real quick 4 people and luggage.

For us Mustang enthusiasts, most of us don't need to worry about that.
Old 11/11/11, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

So Gus, I already have your Sport Springs. Now you have me wondering if its worth switching them out for these. I see the spring rates are a bit higher and more in line with your competion springs which I didnt go with because I was afraid they might have been too stiff for street use.

What's your recommendation. I'm only driving the car once a week now because of the road conditions here. These are the rates I'm tracking for your other springs.

Steeda Competition: 225/185 lbs/in
Steeda Sports: 200/175 lbs/in

PS: Still waiting on the shipping quote for your Pentar wheels to Italy.
Old 11/11/11, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
So Gus, I already have your Sport Springs. Now you have me wondering if its worth switching them out for these. I see the spring rates are a bit higher and more in line with your competion springs which I didnt go with because I was afraid they might have been too stiff for street use.

What's your recommendation. I'm only driving the car once a week now because of the road conditions here. These are the rates I'm tracking for your other springs.

Steeda Competition: 225/185 lbs/in
Steeda Sports: 200/175 lbs/in

PS: Still waiting on the shipping quote for your Pentar wheels to Italy.
As long as you change the shocks and struts, there is no reason for these springs to be perfectly usable on the street. I would not switch from sports and to these and keep the stock shocks and struts. You would be disappointed with the ride quality then.

What sales rep do you have working on the Pentar quote? I dont see that as one in my pipeline....
Old 11/11/11, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotcha. So it sounds like these are more for track use then.

I'll shoot you a PM reference the wheels.
Old 11/14/11, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Gotcha. So it sounds like these are more for track use then.

I'll shoot you a PM reference the wheels.
They are definitely meant to improve track performance, but with the stock BOSS shocks and struts they work quite well. If you own a GT, these are not recommended with the GT factory shocks and struts.

With good shocks and struts these springs will ride very well.

Gus

Quick Reply: New Boss 302 Spring Option From Steeda!