Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

MUST have Mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/13, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong i'm all about losing some of the weight for sure. I have a goal to pull 200lbs out of my car...which is getting pretty close to reality. If I could I would definitely upgrade the drive shaft.(against the rules of the class the car is prepped for)

But the point is, "Must have Mods". Driveline is a "nice to have" mod IMO.

You will get more out of light weight wheels.(acceleration, handling response, braking, good looks...usually) Plus wheels a lot of times is a must have to fit the tires you need. LCA's, UCA's, Spring, shocks...these things are more common to correct for inherent flaws that hold the car back in stock form. Throttle response and acceleration are not really inherent flaws with these cars.

I could see DS upgrade as "Must have" if you put a whole bunch of power in the car and you needed the drive train upgrade to handle it.
Old 5/3/13, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
Oh, don't get me wrong i'm all about losing some of the weight for sure. I have a goal to pull 200lbs out of my car...which is getting pretty close to reality. If I could I would definitely upgrade the drive shaft.(against the rules of the class the car is prepped for)

But the point is, "Must have Mods". Driveline is a "nice to have" mod IMO.

You will get more out of light weight wheels.(acceleration, handling response, braking, good looks...usually) Plus wheels a lot of times is a must have to fit the tires you need. LCA's, UCA's, Spring, shocks...these things are more common to correct for inherent flaws that hold the car back in stock form. Throttle response and acceleration are not really inherent flaws with these cars.

I could see DS upgrade as "Must have" if you put a whole bunch of power in the car and you needed the drive train upgrade to handle it.
Eh to each his own. I read somewhere that rotational mass is roughly 3 times/can be counted as 3 times more when rotating. So guessing the stock shaft is 40 lbs then while spinning it would be similar to 120 lbs, where as the aluminum would be 60, that's a pretty good drop in weight.
Old 5/3/13, 10:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302

Eh to each his own. I read somewhere that rotational mass is roughly 3 times/can be counted as 3 times more when rotating. So guessing the stock shaft is 40 lbs then while spinning it would be similar to 120 lbs, where as the aluminum would be 60, that's a pretty good drop in weight.
The most consistent ratio I've found is 4:1 FWIW. Would love to see some hard data if anyone has a link to something.
Old 5/4/13, 02:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
Agree with BadBoss, you cant go wrong by installing LCA,UCA. Adj. PH...but if your going that far you should get "traction brackets" like the one Kenny Brown sells. They really help the car hook up with the geometry correction they give.

I'm still not sold on the drive shaft as a "must have" though. Yes, its benefits are clear. But, I would rank a lot of mods higher on the list. Also, can't say I have heard of anyone but Ace72 breaking the stock one, seem like a fringe case.
Never said that I had broken one, it was this post I read on BMO;

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....71686#msg71686
Old 5/4/13, 05:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
The most consistent ratio I've found is 4:1 FWIW. Would love to see some hard data if anyone has a link to something.
That's even more ridiculous.
Old 5/4/13, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Passenger side catch can.
yes a must, you wouldn`t believe how much oil you catch in such a short time. That oil will rob performance eventually if you don`t have a catch can.
Old 5/4/13, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by hori
yes a must, you wouldn`t believe how much oil you catch in such a short time. That oil will rob performance eventually if you don`t have a catch can.
Can't you clean the engine out of built up sludge with Seafoam or something similar?
Old 5/5/13, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hori

With 5500 miles on our GT500, we've only got a few drops in our left catch canister & the right is bone dry.
Old 5/12/13, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
With 5500 miles on our GT500, we've only got a few drops in our left catch canister & the right is bone dry.
You are very lucky to have such a small amout. I was under the impression that S/C'd motors would have more than N/A engines?

Here's a picture of what I collected from the passenger's side of my 2013 Boss after a couple hundred miles of "Cruising.":

Name:  JLToil.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.31 MB

I've got a new system that I'll be installing...that will collect and vent both sides.

Wayne
Old 5/14/13, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would do:
tint
the p/s catch cans
Lund tune
Borla S Types
Magnaflow O/R X pipe
Kenne Bell 2.8LC
72lb Injectors
ATI SuperDamper
KB Boost a Pump
NGK 1 step colder plugs
Saleen grille
C&R Radiator
C&R GT500 Intercooler and fan upgrade
Roush air vent gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor gauge
Steeda springs
FRPP Brake Ducts
Ferrodo DS2500 pads
Motul Fluid
LS front splitter
McLeod RXT clutch
Enkei RPF1's 18x10's
Direzza Star specs running square setup 285's
Tiger Racing fiberglass 302S hood
Aerocatch hood latches
CoolTech bolt in roll cage...

**** I miss my car, but it was worth it to sell because it was a sacrifice for my son...

The stuff in bold was planned but never done before she was sold

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 5/14/13 at 10:06 PM. Reason: mods in list format