Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

MT82 Tech from Grassroots Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/11, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT82 Tech from Grassroots Motorsports

Here’s a bit of tech on the MT82 from the August 2011 issue of Grassroots Motorsports; the article follows Anderson Motorsports build-up of a stock ’11 Mustang GT for American Iron.

When they come to the part on choosing which transmission to run in the car………….

…….Road racing can be hard on a stock drivetrain, and apparently it’s the Mustang GT’s weak link on track. Chris discovered this after talking with fellow American Iron racers and some pros, including Pirelli World Challenge driver Paul Brown at Tiger Racing and Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing.

“We were going to use the stock Getrag, but we met George Rockland at Rockland Standard Gear and he said he wanted to be part of the program. The Getrag isn’t really rebuildable – they are pretty much throwaway items – and they don’t carry much oil, so you need a trans cooler. The Rockland Magnum holds a lot and is a beast, so we don’t have to run a cooler and that saves weight and money,” says Chris. ………

I guess that is why Ford runs the Tremec 6-speed in the Boss 302R and 302S and not the MT82!

I checked the MT82 uses 2.7 quarts and the Tremec T56/TR6060 uses 5 quarts!

So Sports Fans if you are going to track your Boss follow Ford's recommendations and get the transcooler from Ford Racing as outlined in the Boss Owners Supplement.

I’m wondering if Ford’s decision to run the MT82 in the Boss will come back to haunt them from a warranty stand point?
Old 6/19/11, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was to track a Boss almost exclusively, I would want a 1:1 fifth still, so I would go and use either a Jerico RoadRace 5-speed or a G-Force GF-5R. And luckily QuickTime makes a bellhousing for that swap to the Modular family bellhousing bolt pattern.

It was so unfortunate that Ford chose to use Chinese sourced junk. The ratio layout was perfect, but designing to be throw-away was a mistake.