Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/11, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if Ford "approves" the use of Mobil 1 in the Boss? I have used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars with no issues. Unless I'm convinced that Mobil 1 meets Fords requirements, I'll stick with Motorcraft.
Old 4/1/11, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Does anyone know if Ford "approves" the use of Mobil 1 in the Boss? I have used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars with no issues. Unless I'm convinced that Mobil 1 meets Fords requirements, I'll stick with Motorcraft.
Meets every requirement and then some. Check out the oil site in my last post to find out, data is all there.
Old 4/1/11, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
As the heart of our car is the engine, I plan to use the recommended fluids the Ford design engineers recommend from development experience. Seems to me like a no-brainer...
My 06 Mustang says that Ford recommends BP gasoline. Do you think the Ford design engineers recommended that from their development experience? I always thought it was because BP paid them an advertising fee. I also believe that using any high quality oil that meets manufacturers requirements will do just as well.

I'm sure some people may even change air filters to a non Motorcraft part.
Old 4/2/11, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by davesvt2000
Thank you all !!

8.5 qts, same as my R.

I was simply going by the web sites for the companies I listed, some do not list a 5 - 50, but if it's available, I'll just have to look harder for it.

I usually go with the Mobil 1 or Royal purple with a motorcraft filter on all my vehicles, unless there is a sale where you buy say 5 qts of Mobil 1 and get a Mobil 1 oil filter included in the price.

Which reminds me, what motorcraft filter # will our cars use ?
Royal Purple for me

sent by homing pigeon from my basement
Old 4/2/11, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Opinions

Originally Posted by DFV
Standard Motorcraft or Ford Racing?

DFV – I will probably just go with the straight Motorcraft filter.

Originally Posted by LateApex
I guess nobody on this board has taken the "oil plunge" just yet, so allow me to point you here: There, you will find out far, far more than you ever wanted to learn about oil. No guesswork there, they have sent samples of oil from every manufacturer imaginable to be lab tested - as well as the used samples to determine how well the oils "wear".

Hey Late – The article you reference is certainly good with a wealth of information. Thanks for the point! The author does seem a bit biased toward Mobil 1 products, however. In the article chapter “Motor Oil 106 – Part Six. A Personal Recommendation (Updated in 2010)” under the “Synthetic Class” it appears Bob reviewed 9 different synthetic oil candidates. Motorcraft 5W-50 full synthetic, the oil recommended by Ford in our engine, was apparently not tested or reviewed. Interestingly in the “Synthetic Blends” section Bob did review two Motorcraft oils (5W-30 and 5W-20) and actually recommended the Motorcraft 5W-20 as his pick. By the way, how did you score on the oil final exam at the end?

So, no need for conjecture - your answers are there. The TLDR answer? After discovering that site some years ago whilst having some engine knocking and other strange issues, I switched to Mobil 1 on all of my cars, and I cannot speak highly enough of the product. You simply cannot go wrong there.

Well as pointed out above, we do need to conjecture because it appears Motorcraft 5W-50 oil was not reviewed relative to its peers.

Meets every requirement and then some. Check out the oil site in my last post to find out, data is all there.

If one were to adjudge oil equivalency, it would seem reasonable that since the Ford recommended 5W-50 oil is to meet the Ford Specification WSS-M2C931-B that any oil substitute might also be required to meet the same specification. The link you reference to Bob is the Oil Guy does not list “every requirement and then some” from which a comparison can be made. Maybe I missed something in the article and you can point us to Chapter and page where this information is listed?

Originally Posted by ApexCars
My 06 Mustang says that Ford recommends BP gasoline. Do you think the Ford design engineers recommended that from their development experience? I always thought it was because BP paid them an advertising fee. I also believe that using any high quality oil that meets manufacturer’s requirements will do just as well. I'm sure some people may even change air filters to a non Motorcraft part.

To answer your gasoline question, No, I do not believe the Ford recommendation of BP gasoline is based on development experience. I agree with you on this one and it was most probably a revenue source for advertising. About the only fuel attribute we as consumers care about is octane, cost and cleanliness. Our wallets typically control the cost, hopefully point-of-sale filtration and tank monitoring take care of cleanliness and State Measurement labs assay octane to insure compliance with pump posting claims. Gasoline only brings available chemical energy to the combustion party to be converted to mechanical work. Oil on the other hand IS tied directly to engine wear, life and longevity and thus much more important IMO. I go with the OE recommendation. Your are certainly free to choose to run any oil you think is equivalent. And I generally just use Motorcraft air and oil filters as well. Just my choice of one less thing to wonder about equivalency.
Old 4/2/11, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

While the articles are good on bobistheoilguy.com , it's the forums you want. The discussions evolve constantly, and it's an active community.

For example, lab tests vary of some Motorcraft 5w50, such as this post here - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2093739 . Motorcraft is developed by Conoco-Philips, by the way. Multiple tests in this thread show wear shear in the oil and subpar additive packs that are generally considered bad. Motorcraft generally does well, though, especially for the money, and some decent results have been produced by Conoco products, so it seems like a mixed bag. Sme folks over there have had really great results with it. You can research that there until your heart is content :-). Nobody is saying Motorcraft is BAD, it's not, but the data shows it is not the best you can get your hands on, either.

If anything, though, the bias there seems to be towards Redline, with Mobil slightly behind that. People just have not found a whole lot wrong with those oils - consistently, for quite some time now. Both companies have a track record of excellence and consistency in production, which is worth something.

I won't post a ton of links to their forums over here, but I assure you - the data you seek is there. Give it a look, then use whatever oil you want. I am no oil salesman LOL, just a guy who read the science and came to...certain conclusions, based on the numbers. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks come fluid change time for what I have found to be the best lubricants I can get away with. In this case, it's not even extra money -I can get my Mobil 1 online for the same basic price as I can get the Motorcraft, so to me it's a no-brainer.
Old 4/2/11, 09:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

If anything, though, the bias there seems to be towards Redline, with Mobil slightly behind that. People just have not found a whole lot wrong with those oils - consistently, for quite some time now. Both companies have a track record of excellence and consistency in production, which is worth something.
I'm a big fan of Redline products from my karting and motorcycle experiences. What is the correct Redline product to use in the 5-50?
Old 4/2/11, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

33,000 miles on my GT500 and probably 4,000 of those are track miles. I've used Mobil 1 5W-50 since the initial oil change and motor's running strong. So far so good. I do change it after a couple track events though.
Old 4/2/11, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I have used it on my race cars for years, with flawless results. My cars have always dyno'ed strong, and stay that way.

For the above poster, I'd use this Redline motor oil - http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21 . Although I will run Mobil 1 with a K&N filter for motoroil, I will likely run Redline gear oil for my Torsen and my gearbox.
Old 4/2/11, 03:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
33,000 miles on my GT500 and probably 4,000 of those are track miles. I've used Mobil 1 5W-50 since the initial oil change and motor's running strong. So far so good. I do change it after a couple track events though.
That's good enough for me. When are you going to make your first oil change? With my previous new cars I drop the oil after 1,000 miles. I then change at 5,000 and then every 5,000 after.
Old 4/2/11, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Royan Purple test results

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Royal Purple for me

Big Vito,

See attached test result for Royal Purple. Not so favorable!

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml

I'm going with Mobile 1 until Amsoil comes out with a 5w 50

Last edited by Bossdog; 7/21/11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 4/2/11, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
It's a shame AMSOIL doesnt make 5w50.

give them time

my 3 vehicles only use amsoil
Old 4/2/11, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

While the articles are good on bobistheoilguy.com , it's the forums you want. The discussions evolve constantly, and it's an active community.

I won't post a ton of links to their forums over here, but I assure you - the data you seek is there. Give it a look, then use whatever oil you want. I am no oil salesman LOL, just a guy who read the science and came to...certain conclusions, based on the numbers. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks come fluid change time for what I have found to be the best lubricants I can get away with. In this case, it's not even extra money -I can get my Mobil 1 online for the same basic price as I can get the Motorcraft, so to me it's a no-brainer.
Thanks Late, I appreciate the comment.

And I agree, oil discussions are most always active and opinionated. Few take the time to read and understand the many variables in an oil blend. And how oils are very discretely modified for a purpose. Most just shoot from the hip...."used it all my life and never had an engine problem, so I'm just gona keep using it..." (Hopefully your experience base is not a 2-cycle go-cart)

And that's fine and it will probably work. My point is if an owner uses the OEM perscribed fluids, you do not HAVE to spend any time thinking about it at all. (I would rather think about how ugly those red painted rims look on my LS....)
Old 4/2/11, 11:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks Late, I appreciate the comment.

And I agree, oil discussions are most always active and opinionated. Few take the time to read and understand the many variables in an oil blend. And how oils are very discretely modified for a purpose. Most just shoot from the hip...."used it all my life and never had an engine problem, so I'm just gona keep using it..." (Hopefully your experience base is not a 2-cycle go-cart)

And that's fine and it will probably work. My point is if an owner uses the OEM perscribed fluids, you do not HAVE to spend any time thinking about it at all. (I would rather think about how ugly those red painted rims look on my LS....)
I read it am to slow to comprehend it

Old 4/3/11, 03:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 66sprint200
Castrol also makes 5w-50 full synthetic, which is what I've been using in the GT500. Around here that's the only other brand aside from Motocraft that is ever on the shelves. I've never seen Mobil1 in 5w-50 at any of the stores in OKC
It's a hydrocracked group 3 basestock. Which means it's conventional oil that has been refined to meet the government standard of the definition of synthetic. Mobil 1 is the same thing. Red-line,RP and Amsoil are a group 4 basestock and are a true synthetic. Red-line and RP also contain moly which is an amazing anti-friction compound and will keep your engine new longer. If you are gonna spend the money on a synthetic oil red-line,Amsoil and rp are the ones to buy.
Old 4/3/11, 03:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DFV

Yea, there's one on every board. (Don't quit your day job, just yet.)

Perhaps I should have stated that the Boss has heads and block of aluminum, the point being that lubrication is key to engine life.

Along a similar line as the oil, whose oil filters do you guys recommend for the Boss?
Motorcraft makes a quality filter however Amsoil makes the best filter on the market. Iirc it will filter up to 8 microns. A human hair is 80. It uses a synthetic media. Royal purple also makes a top quality oil filter
Old 4/3/11, 03:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

And for all you mobil 1 fan boys out there calling it a full synthetic it isn't. It's a hydrocracked group 3 basestock that is merely refined conventional. But apparently the ad campain works. Bob is the oil guy is definitely a wealth of information.
Old 4/3/11, 04:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Everett! Good comments!

Based on your post, I would conclude the "full synthetic" Motorcraft 5W-50 is also a Group 3 basestock in the same group as Mobil 1?
Old 4/3/11, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Everett
And for all you mobil 1 fan boys out there calling it a full synthetic it isn't. It's a hydrocracked group 3 basestock that is merely refined conventional. But apparently the ad campain works. Bob is the oil guy is definitely a wealth of information.
Most everything is hydrocracked since the federal regs governing the terminology and process were changed some years ago. Some are fully "synthetic". However, the manufacturing process itself is fairly irrelevant when compared to oil analysis results. The oil, however it is derived, either holds up, protects and lubricates well under whatever conditions you are running your motor, or it does not. You can do the science yourself - a number of publicly accessible labs, Blackstone being the most well-known, will be happy to analyze your used oil samples for a nominal fee and you can then find out exactly what is happening with your oil of choice in your own vehicles. I did a few of those back in my WRX days some years ago. I tried a bunch of stuff, but Mobil and Redline were the oils that wore best with how I ran my cars - street and track mix. Did I try every oil and oil combo that could be tried? Of course not, but others have, and post their results. It's well to read them, if you've a mind to learn oil.

Regarding OEM blends - while I think Ford is a high quality product of late, I think I am used to a manufacturer's goals for my cars being "slightly" different from my own goals with my cars. You may feel free to call that thought process whatever you'd like LOL. I like the trend that auto manufacturers are going away from having oils made for them and simply using standard oils as factory fills. Mobil 1 is a common factory fill for many high-end cars like Mercs and Porsches these days.

Last edited by LateApex; 4/3/11 at 07:47 AM.
Old 4/3/11, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Everett! Good comments!

Based on your post, I would conclude the "full synthetic" Motorcraft 5W-50 is also a Group 3 basestock in the same group as Mobil 1?
The base stock discussion is a whole different can-o-worms. Most major oils are effectively blends on numerous group base stocks. Depending on the criteria you use, most Mobil is considered a Group IV, due to PAO. Redline is in fact considered a Group V.

I would not get too hung up on base stock. Again, it's the results that matter. Those base groups are fairly sweeping generic definitions when you get right down to it. So much goes into making a good motor oil quite well and above the simple baseline oil used to make it. I am not saying it's irrelevant, just saying it's not the whole game, probably not even half of the game.

Group V is not automatically better than Group IV, which is not automatically better than Group III.

PS - as a side note, if this is getting all "sciency" and making people's heads explode, that is because it is in fact pure science :-). And it's science being applied to what I feel is a rather poorly defined and regulated product. It's the results we're all after, no? Then don't get too caught up in manufacturing process and whatnot - go with what's proven to work. The data is out there, or if you don't trust the data, it's relatively simple to compile your own data and have your own tests run. Go off of the results and what actually happens. That is the only true way to definitively find out what it best for your particular application.

Last edited by LateApex; 4/3/11 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil