Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Oil

So our cars take 5W - 50, correct ?
What is the capacity of the oil pan ?
Are we going to be forced to buy only Motorcraft oil ?
I've checked Mobil 1 and Royal Purple, and neither make a 5 - 50.
Old 4/1/11, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davesvt2000
I used Mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic in my GT500

8.5 quarts for the Boss
Old 4/1/11, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm OK with Motorcraft oil, have not seen the 5W-50 synthetic in the other brands yet but I have not been looking hard. I normally follow Fords recommendation but wonder about that weight in FL.
Old 4/1/11, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I used Mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic in my GT500
Where do you buy the Mobil 1? Anybody know the price of the Motorcraft oil /qt?
Old 4/1/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Where do you buy the Mobil 1? Anybody know the price of the Motorcraft oil /qt?
Just about any decent auto parts store sells the Mobil 1 5W-50. Saw it at Auto Zone and Oreillys.
Old 4/1/11, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

You can find the Mobil 1 with a bit of looking, or simply it order online. Redline also now makes a 5w50, if you're a Redline fan. Myself, I'll continue to run Mobil 1 like I do in all my cars. Other oils have their good and bad points, and Mobil 1 can be expensive, but as near as I can tell, nobody ever regretted using Mobil 1 in their car. I certainly never have
Old 4/1/11, 11:03 AM
GT Member

Castrol also makes 5w-50 full synthetic, which is what I've been using in the GT500. Around here that's the only other brand aside from Motocraft that is ever on the shelves. I've never seen Mobil1 in 5w-50 at any of the stores in OKC
Old 4/1/11, 11:12 AM
GT Member

I have seen Castrol for sale, but no Mobile1 yet. I ended up getting 2 cases of Motorcraft at Ford as I get a great discount and they had it. The Ford dealer keeps a small amount on stock for the GT500 and Saleen/Roush that they service.
Old 4/1/11, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

It's a shame AMSOIL doesnt make 5w50.
Old 4/1/11, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Dave your answers are
1) Yes
2) Do not know yet
3) You can buy K-Mart or Walmart brand if you want and use that in your Coyote engine. Pick your viscosity. Free country...
4) Why use other oils when Ford recommends their 5W-50 Full Synthetic oil for our application?

Not meaning to pick on you but the 5W-50 Motorcraft oil Ford recommends for the Boss 5.0 was developed during the Ford GT (FGT) engine program (supercharged MOD5.4L). All the endurance and development testing (and there was significant testing on this halo engine/car) was done with this oil. It is believed sourced to Conoco/Phillips and representative samples are over-checked present day by Ford for Quality Control. After being developed for the FGT, Ford recommended it for the supercharged 5.4L in the GT500 and now in our Boss 5.0. High performance oil for the high performance engine lines.

There has been one change in the oil rolling from Ford spec WSS-M2C931-A (black bottle cap) to the new WSS-M2C931-B (gold bottle cap). The change entailed moving from the API service SL/CF to the new version SM/CF which does not have as much ZDDP ( http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm)

As the heart of our car is the engine, I plan to use the recommended fluids the Ford design engineers recommend from development experience. Seems to me like a no-brainer...

For further enjoyment-
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...usage-question
Old 4/1/11, 01:31 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

8.5 quarts (8.0 Ltrs) of synthetic 5w-50 in the Boss 302. This is awesome in and of itself.

I've been a Mobil 1 convert for decades. It is really good at preventing engine wear, and with the Boss's mill being 100% aluminum, I would trust no other brand. That said, it may not be that easy to find at the local AutoZone or Pep Boys. Here's a link to the good stuff on line:

http://thelubricantstore.com/default...temcode=98HF24
Old 4/1/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW!
I hope my crank, rods, valves, valve springs, harmonic damper and bolts are not 100% aluminum.....

At $7.78 for Mobile 1 at thelubricantstore (link above) vs $9.99 for the recommended Motorcraft oil, is $2.21 (+28%) more for the Ford oil "really" that detrimental to one's purchase decision?

Uh, and I do not work for Ford, any oil company trying to generate sales or the below linked company..... FYI only.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...OEM&siteid=318

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 4/1/11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 4/1/11, 01:59 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
WOW!
I hope my crank, rods, valves, valve springs, harmonic damper and bolts are not 100% aluminum.....
Yea, there's one on every board. (Don't quit your day job, just yet.)

Perhaps I should have stated that the Boss has heads and block of aluminum, the point being that lubrication is key to engine life.

Along a similar line as the oil, whose oil filters do you guys recommend for the Boss?

Last edited by DFV; 4/1/11 at 02:01 PM.
Old 4/1/11, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DFV
Yea, there's one on every board. (Don't quit your day job, just yet.)
Gosh, just trying to avoid misleading (and inaccurate) generalities. I'm already coasting. Guess I better find another job.

Originally Posted by DFV
Perhaps I should have stated that the Boss has heads and block of aluminum, the point being that lubrication is key to engine life.
Now that's a true and accurate statement. Wasn't that hard was it. My iron block 5.4L '07 GT500 engine needs critical lubrication just as an aluminum block/head 5.0 needs the same attention to lubrication. I would say forced lubrication of an internal combustion engine is critical (to life) no matter what the block/head material is used.

Originally Posted by DFV
Along a similar line as the oil, whose oil filters do you guys recommend for the Boss?
I would again recommend Motorcraft.
Old 4/1/11, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DFV

I have been using motorcraft filter for ever, no problems. I have used Fram's on some older car from time to time.
Old 4/1/11, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess nobody on this board has taken the "oil plunge" just yet, so allow me to point you here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

There, you will find out far, far more than you ever wanted to learn about oil. No guesswork there, they have sent samples of oil from every manufacturer imaginable to be lab tested - as well as the used samples to determine how well the oils "wear".

So, no need for conjecture - your answers are there. The TLDR answer? After discovering that site some years ago whilst having some engine knocking and other strange issues, I switched to Mobil 1 on all of my cars, and I cannot speak highly enough of the product. You simply cannot go wrong there.
Old 4/1/11, 02:41 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
I would again recommend Motorcraft.
Standard Motorcraft or Ford Racing?
Old 4/1/11, 02:50 PM
GT Member

I was reading and hearing about the oil requirements for the 2000-R and how Ford was working with the modular designs and clearances for racing, and decided that I would go with what they say. Mobil started the production of a special oil for the Cobra 2000 R program. I am going to stay with either the Motorcraft oil or the Mobil 1. I will be using the Motorcraft filters also. I have seen some tests on a variety of filters and with the high RPM / Temps / Pressures / ETC, I want something that is reliable and would not be questioned by Ford for any type of warranty. I have never had an engine problem, and I think it is due to proper oil/filter and changing at the proper intervals.
Old 4/1/11, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you all !!

8.5 qts, same as my R.

I was simply going by the web sites for the companies I listed, some do not list a 5 - 50, but if it's available, I'll just have to look harder for it.

I usually go with the Mobil 1 or Royal purple with a motorcraft filter on all my vehicles, unless there is a sale where you buy say 5 qts of Mobil 1 and get a Mobil 1 oil filter included in the price.

Which reminds me, what motorcraft filter # will our cars use ?

Last edited by davesvt2000; 4/1/11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 4/1/11, 03:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DFV
Standard Motorcraft or Ford Racing?
Good question, I have not seen the Ford Racing filters for some time. I do not know all the ins and outs of them but hopefully someone else does. I would only question if it may be too restrictive for the high reving Boss, anyone???

I plan on using the regular one.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil