Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

IS IT ME OR THE CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/13, 12:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RTD
There's a huge thread on this over at SVT.

The 3rd gear lockout at high RPM issue is NOT driver error. The Barton/MGW shifter does NOT fix the issue, NOR does the replacement clutch line or replacement trans fluid. Those fixes address other issues but not this one.

The current thinking is that the clutch on these cars just isn't up to the task at redline, particularly on the 2-3 shift. I can power shift 2-3 at 6900 RPM every single time without missing a beat, but if I try it at 7500 RPM I will hit a brick wall >50% of the time.
I have to disagree. I ran my car at drag strip when I first bought it, I couldn't get 3rd on any shift over 7,000 .
I installed a MGW and I NEVER have a issue anymore.
Old 5/5/13, 01:30 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my read, on our tranny issues for SOME cases are:
1. fluid
2. engine vs tranny vs shifter alignment..

Fluid --- get some Redline

Alignment look here:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=4.1134

then here:
http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...7592#post57592
Old 5/5/13, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I really hope people do not start dumping their Boss's because of this issue. I think Ford really needs to take a look in the mirror and find a fix.

Looking back, I think Ford should have:

Made the LS the race track model. Pretty much as it is, with a different transmission.

I think the regular Boss should have had other options available, like Nav and Leather. Just my opinion. I also think the Faux gas cap on the regular Boss looks like a mistake, an oversight, or just plain being cheap or lazy.

I hope the Recaro seats do not become an issue....

Dave
Old 5/5/13, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the Boss for a drive today. Its 80 deg in seattle today so I took it for an hour long drive with no issues until I go for a 2nd gear pull only till about 5 grand and there it is lockout. Its like there is no gear there just a gate with no gear. I am not grinding the gear its just not there. I am going to try changing to the redline fluid but I have heard the thing it helps is the cold shifting problem.
Old 5/6/13, 12:05 PM
GT Member

Sorry to see this again. I usually don't have issues with revving high...normally when I have had problems I think it was because of my sloppy shifting (i.e. not the car). I've found that shifting just under 7500 @ around 7200 works best for me when really opening her up.

Launch control works great at 3200, and when it's cold out I take extra warm-up time. Mine is a first quarter 2011 build.
Old 5/7/13, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

So, I have also noticed some issues with going to 3rd but only when I have a cornering load on the car when I am trying to shift...common occurrence in Autocross. However I have found that if I pick a place to shift where I have little or no cornering loads that I can get 3rd reliably. Yes, i'm usually grabbing the gear at redline. Based on this I have to chalk this up drivetrain twist or shift under load.

This is not limited to our cars BTW, lots of cars with close ratio/gates experience this...my STi does the same thing. As JPC mentions above stiffer bushing solutions help or fix this problem.

That said I have noticed the transmission is a little notchy until warmed up. Gear oil may help that problem. I don't mind shift slowly until the gear oil comes up to temp myself.
Old 5/7/13, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

I had trouble shifting into third over 7000 rpm......installed an MGW and never had the issue again.

Just get the MGW.
Old 5/7/13, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by thevidon
I had trouble shifting into third over 7000 rpm......installed an MGW and never had the issue again.

Just get the MGW.
Exactly, its the solid mount that prevents the shifter from slinging to the side under high torque and then misaligns the gate, preventing from getting it into gear.
JUST GET THE MGW.
Old 5/7/13, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by maddog2
I took the Boss for a drive today. Its 80 deg in seattle today so I took it for an hour long drive with no issues until I go for a 2nd gear pull only till about 5 grand and there it is lockout. Its like there is no gear there just a gate with no gear. I am not grinding the gear its just not there. I am going to try changing to the redline fluid but I have heard the thing it helps is the cold shifting problem.
Just curious, but what Boss # is your car. My build date was 8/21/12 and I have never had a lockout. I would definitely harass the dealer until it was fixed. GB #2008 FYI. I have not had a clutch sticking issue. I think it might be a Monday or Friday build car.
Old 5/7/13, 07:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sammykjr1
Just curious, but what Boss # is your car. My build date was 8/21/12 and I have never had a lockout. I would definitely harass the dealer until it was fixed. GB #2008 FYI. I have not had a clutch sticking issue. I think it might be a Monday or Friday build car.
If you read enough of these threads you'll notice maybe a 50/50 split with people saying they do/don't have issues. The dealer may buy someone car back if they fuss enough but the fact that the trans has a remote shifter is most likely the cause of the lockouts.

Last edited by Brandon302; 5/7/13 at 07:10 PM.
Old 5/7/13, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
So, I have also noticed some issues with going to 3rd but only when I have a cornering load on the car when I am trying to shift...common occurrence in Autocross. However I have found that if I pick a place to shift where I have little or no cornering loads that I can get 3rd reliably. Yes, i'm usually grabbing the gear at redline. Based on this I have to chalk this up drivetrain twist or shift under load.

This is not limited to our cars BTW, lots of cars with close ratio/gates experience this...my STi does the same thing. As JPC mentions above stiffer bushing solutions help or fix this problem.

That said I have noticed the transmission is a little notchy until warmed up. Gear oil may help that problem. I don't mind shift slowly until the gear oil comes up to temp myself.
Like I said in earlier posts I do have a MGW shifter on the car.
I believe it is a torque/alighnment problem. I did a little experiment the other day when I was out and did some fast shifting 2nd to 3rd without the hard exceleration. Works just fine goes right in to 3rd no prob.I have 2000 miles on the car and this problem just started a week ago. The car is not a daily driver.
Old 5/7/13, 10:28 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,662 Posts
I believe it is a torque/alighnment problem. I did a little experiment the other day when I was out and did some fast shifting 2nd to 3rd without the hard exceleration. Works just fine goes right in to 3rd no prob.I have 2000 miles on the car and this problem just started a week ago. The car is not a daily driver.
I'm confused by your quote? Are you saying that you have a MGW shifter and you just started having problems? Or your problem only started a week ago and since then you have already installed a MGW?
Old 5/7/13, 11:09 PM
Cobra R Member

If your still getting lockout with a MGW, I don't know what to say. I have 4,400 miles on mine and 25+ drag strip runs and haven't had issue since. Your on your own now.??? If I did have a problem I knew it was me shifting too soon while depressing or releasing clutch.
But I gotta add I haven't had any issues SO Far with my Tranny.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/7/13 at 11:12 PM.
Old 5/7/13, 11:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not reading this whole thread but I had a similar problem with mine. The stock clutch is too weak to release at high rpms. Centrifugal force is keeping the clutch engaged until the rpms come down a little. Get a better clutch or trade that thing for a Shelby.
Old 5/7/13, 11:38 PM
GT Member

I have about 600 miles on the MGW shifter. The problem just recently started.
Old 5/8/13, 12:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I'm not reading this whole thread but I had a similar problem with mine. The stock clutch is too weak to release at high rpms. Centrifugal force is keeping the clutch engaged until the rpms come down a little. Get a better clutch or trade that thing for a Shelby.
I know guys on the Boss forum switched to the McLeod RXT clutch and liked it so far.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-6932-25

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/8/13 at 12:38 AM.
Old 5/8/13, 01:00 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord

I know guys on the Boss forum switched to the McLeod RXT clutch and liked it so far.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-6932-25
I could have sworn it was my transmission giving me problems until I tore my trans down. The only damage I found was a synchro scarred up from the grinding. I really didn't find anything else wrong but beefed up the trans while I had it down. The stock clutch was replaced with an upgraded one and I haven't had a grind or lockout since.
Old 5/8/13, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have not had this issue. Have an early issue 2012 and installed a MGW unit. I seem to remember having some troubles with the stock units at Track Attack. Very odd.
Old 5/8/13, 07:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sammykjr1
#2018 just 10 cars away from yours.
Old 5/9/13, 05:46 AM
V6 Member

#2018 just 10 cars away from yours.
It seems like a really odd issue that would plague one car and not another. I'm guessing yours was built with 1-2 days of mine as well.

Quick Reply: IS IT ME OR THE CAR?