Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
This thread makes engineers cry.
Amen.
Old 4/23/12, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 908ssp

This is much more difficult than it seems. With a solid rear axle like the Mustang the C clip retainers for the axles allow the axles to float in and out about .015". This is not a problem with calipers that float on pins like the ones Ford uses. With independent rear suspension the axles are held stationary in the hubs and don't float in and out so you can fix four pot calipers to the hubs. If you mount the Brembo calipers to the axle housing of a SRA and the axles float it will push the pistons back, called slap back, and the pedal will have to travel a long distance to push the pistons back out to the surface of the rotors. This can be so bad as to have to pump up the brake before they start to work. A couple of people have tried it and reported on their failure. I was able to do it by floating the Brembo calipers.
Hmm. Floating pistons eh? That's fun to say. Can't say I've seen a set up like that.
Old 4/25/12, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is much more difficult than it seems. With a solid rear axle like the Mustang the C clip retainers for the axles allow the axles to float in and out about .015". This is not a problem with calipers that float on pins like the ones Ford uses. With independent rear suspension the axles are held stationary in the hubs and don't float in and out so you can fix four pot calipers to the hubs. If you mount the Brembo calipers to the axle housing of a SRA and the axles float it will push the pistons back, called slap back, and the pedal will have to travel a long distance to push the pistons back out to the surface of the rotors. This can be so bad as to have to pump up the brake before they start to work. A couple of people have tried it and reported on their failure. I was able to do it by floating the Brembo calipers.

Hi 908ssp,

Can you please tell me more about this setup and if it's available for sale.

Rob
Old 4/25/12, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a Brembo decal and put it on your rear calipers if you are so concerned with the look.
Old 4/25/12, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi 908ssp,

Can you please tell me more about this setup and if it's available for sale.

Rob
Hi Rob it is all one off made by me and far too much work for me to duplicate. The system has worked flawlessly since I put it on but being brakes I couldn't take the risk selling it to someone. Baer announced at SEMA a system I believe is intended for our cars. It changes the way the axles are held in I believe allowing none floating calipers.
Old 4/26/12, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by redneb
Buy a Brembo decal and put it on your rear calipers if you are so concerned with the look.

Yeah because its specifically the calipers I wanted to look better. Re-read my post and you'll see that I don't like how small the ROTORS are compared to the fronts.
Old 4/30/12, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

Hi Rob it is all one off made by me and far too much work for me to duplicate. The system has worked flawlessly since I put it on but being brakes I couldn't take the risk selling it to someone. Baer announced at SEMA a system I believe is intended for our cars. It changes the way the axles are held in I believe allowing none floating calipers.
Hi 908ssp,

Thanks for the reply, I quite understand what you are saying about the risks.
I did take your advise and found the Baer system and what they do is float the axles. It sounds expensive but I guess it's the only way to get rid of the end play that is inherent to the live axle design. They did state many other benefits with their design. Thanks again.

Regards,

Rob