2012-2013 BOSS 302

Larger rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/12, 03:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger rear brakes

How would you recommend upgrading the rear brakes? Not that they do a bad job, its that the rears look tiny compared to the fronts, and I think it would look sexy as hell if they were the same size as the fronts.

Or would having large brakes in the rear do more harm than good (IE rear end locking up)?
Old 4/19/12, 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would need to adjust the brake bias to the rear and ensure the stock master cylinder was up to the task which would involve some trial-and-error and may end up doing more harm than good in ultimate braking performance.
Old 4/19/12, 09:18 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
How would you recommend upgrading the rear brakes? Not that they do a bad job, its that the rears look tiny compared to the fronts, and I think it would look sexy as hell if they were the same size as the fronts.

Or would having large brakes in the rear do more harm than good (IE rear end locking up)?
Yeah - and I'd think you'd mess up ABS too. Front's are always supposed to be bigger cause they do more of the work than rear's.
Old 4/19/12, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

That makes me a sad panda.

Our rear's look weak and small compared to the Brembo's, and I want to change that. How can I go about making them look better, and improve braking, whilst not messing anything up?
Old 4/19/12, 09:58 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
That makes me a sad panda.

Our rear's look weak and small compared to the Brembo's, and I want to change that. How can I go about making them look better, and improve braking, whilst not messing anything up?
Even the fronts on Brembo's are larger than the rears. So you would have that same 'look'. Whether its a Mustang, Chally, or Camaro, or beemer, etc.
And the front calipers (factory and Brembo's) are stronger too because that's the dynamics of braking. Same with motorcycles too.
So... don't know what else to tell you. Upgrade to brembo's if you want but if you're not going to track its just overkill and cosmetics and name dropping.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 10:00 AM.
Old 4/19/12, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shelby has some larger rears. IMO it's just adding weight.
Old 4/19/12, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Many of the larger rear brake kits are a fixed caliper design which has a one negative aspect when using them on track. You tend to get pad kick back which can gives you a soft pedal when you initially put on the brakes. There is enough axle play that it will move your pads back after an agressive corner. Not the most confidence inspiring feeling.
Old 4/19/12, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Not needed.

But company X sells them so it must be better.

For a reality check you only need to look at the FR500C, FR500S, Boss 302R and the Boss 302S if the professionals needed additional rear brake the race cars would have larger rear brakes.
Old 4/19/12, 05:21 PM
GT Member

I have 14" Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rear rotors. Uses stock calipers with aluminum outrigger brackets. Weigh exactly the same as stock rotors. Slotted and cross drilled, the look great and perform just fine on track. Expensive at 599 a set though.
Steve
Old 4/20/12, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steveespo
I have 14" Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rear rotors. Uses stock calipers with aluminum outrigger brackets. Weigh exactly the same as stock rotors. Slotted and cross drilled, the look great and perform just fine on track. Expensive at 599 a set though.
Steve
Same rotors here down no side I can tell. I use a different caliper set up and the ABS deals with just fine.
Old 4/22/12, 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear rotor diameter looks too small with the 19 inch wheels

I am sure they could engineer a larger rotor with a balanced caliper, if they choose too.

Another gripe I have with Ford is the lack of a rear Brembo Caliper to compliment the front caliper.

Dodge and Chevrolet include Brembo Rear calipers with on the Challenger and Camaro
Old 4/22/12, 02:42 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by yankee_pony
Dodge and Chevrolet include Brembo Rear calipers with on the Challenger and Camaro
Then you should go buy those piggies with their (needed) bigger brakes.

Ford engineers have dialed in the appropriate brakes for the lighter Mustang.

All you're doing is wanting to be a "brand bragger" so you can thump your chest - like the Dodge boys and Mullett heads - unless you are tracking your car.

IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/22/12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 4/22/12, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Has anyone entertained the idea of getting the new six piston Brembo calipers that come on the new 2013 GT-500, installing them on the front and then take the front four piston Brembo and putting them on the rear????
The way I see it, you are adding an equal amount of pistons to the front and rear brakes so it should balance out the brakes and the A/S should work just fine.
The trick is finding a bracket for the rear calipers to mount on the stock rotor. Any feedback is appreciated.

Rob
Old 4/22/12, 06:21 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Has anyone entertained the idea of getting the new six piston Brembo calipers that come on the new 2013 GT-500, installing them on the front and then take the front four piston Brembo and putting them on the rear????
The way I see it, you are adding an equal amount of pistons to the front and rear brakes so it should balance out the brakes and the A/S should work just fine.
The trick is finding a bracket for the rear calipers to mount on the stock rotor. Any feedback is appreciated.

Rob
Why not save yourself time and headaches from looking for a non-existant part and just get the Shelby rears also? If you've got the money for the fronts, you should be able to afford the rears.
Old 4/22/12, 06:54 PM
V6 Member

Hi Laguna Beach,

Yes you are correct, the Shelby brakes are ready to go and I have looked at that option when I had my 08 Shelby GT-500 but they are Bear Brakes not Brembo and I wanted to go more with the Ford setup. I'm not a fan of drilled rotors but defenitely want the slotted rotors. If someone looked into putting all this in a kit form I would think many Mustang owners that opted for the Brembo package would go this route as "IT" should be more cost effective than the Big Bear Brake kit. Most Mustang owners who put on the Bear kits end up selling their Brembo brakes on eBay, so why not utilize that nice four piston Brembo caliper and put it on the rear?

Regards,

Rob
Old 4/22/12, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...rotors-p-31930

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...-p-152632.html
Old 4/22/12, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by yankee_pony

Another gripe I have with Ford is the lack of a rear Brembo Caliper to compliment the front caliper.

This is much more difficult than it seems. With a solid rear axle like the Mustang the C clip retainers for the axles allow the axles to float in and out about .015". This is not a problem with calipers that float on pins like the ones Ford uses. With independent rear suspension the axles are held stationary in the hubs and don't float in and out so you can fix four pot calipers to the hubs. If you mount the Brembo calipers to the axle housing of a SRA and the axles float it will push the pistons back, called slap back, and the pedal will have to travel a long distance to push the pistons back out to the surface of the rotors. This can be so bad as to have to pump up the brake before they start to work. A couple of people have tried it and reported on their failure. I was able to do it by floating the Brembo calipers.

Old 4/23/12, 01:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by RJorge1950
Hi Laguna Beach,

Yes you are correct, the Shelby brakes are ready to go and I have looked at that option when I had my 08 Shelby GT-500 but they are Bear Brakes not Brembo and I wanted to go more with the Ford setup. I'm not a fan of drilled rotors but defenitely want the slotted rotors. If someone looked into putting all this in a kit form I would think many Mustang owners that opted for the Brembo package would go this route as "IT" should be more cost effective than the Big Bear Brake kit. Most Mustang owners who put on the Bear kits end up selling their Brembo brakes on eBay, so why not utilize that nice four piston Brembo caliper and put it on the rear?

Regards,

Rob
I think Mark is referring to the new 2013 Shelby GT500 F&R brake setup and I agree with his assessment regardless if the rears are Brembo or not. No need to reinvent the wheel or brake as it were.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 4/23/12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Name:  jXeuv.png
Views: 15
Size:  33.1 KB
Old 4/23/12, 03:41 PM
Post *****

Quick Reply: Larger rear brakes