2012-2013 BOSS 302

Kitty Litter Scoop worth 20+ degrees at the track on a hot day

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/11 | 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kitty Litter Scoop worth 20+ degrees at the track on a hot day

Guys-

One thing we learned from Mark while at Laguna Seca was that the LS' transmission "Kitty Litter Scoop" is worth 20+ degrees cooling on a hot day at the track. For $115 shipped I think it's a bargain. Just a couple of bolts to install. I've ordered mine.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/ch...ns/en8430.html

Andy
Old 7/10/11 | 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Hate to see what the temps would be without the scoop! No doubt, every little bit helps.
Old 7/10/11 | 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if the transmission held a little more fluid it wouldn't get as hot...............

Here’s a bit of tech on the MT82 from the August 2011 issue of Grassroots Motorsports; the article follows Anderson Motorsports build-up of a stock ’11 Mustang GT for American Iron.

When they come to the part on choosing which transmission to run in the car………….

…….Road racing can be hard on a stock drivetrain, and apparently it’s the Mustang GT’s weak link on track. Chris discovered this after talking with fellow American Iron racers and some pros, including Pirelli World Challenge driver Paul Brown at Tiger Racing and Dean Martin at Rehagen Racing.

“We were going to use the stock Getrag, but we met George Rockland at Rockland Standard Gear and he said he wanted to be part of the program. The Getrag isn’t really rebuildable – they are pretty much throwaway items – and they don’t carry much oil, so you need a trans cooler. The Rockland Magnum holds a lot and is a beast, so we don’t have to run a cooler and that saves weight and money,” says Chris. ………

I guess that is why Ford runs the Tremec 6-speed in the Boss 302R and 302S and not the MT82!

I checked the MT82 uses 2.7 quarts and the Tremec T56/TR6060 uses 5 quarts!

So Sports Fans if you are going to track your Boss follow Ford's recommendations and get the transcooler from Ford Racing as outlined in the Boss Owners Supplement.

I’m wondering if Ford’s decision to run the MT82 in the Boss will come back to haunt them from a warranty stand point?
Old 7/11/11 | 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
I’m wondering if Ford’s decision to run the MT82 in the Boss will come back to haunt them from a warranty stand point?
with all the reports of GT owners taking theirs in for issues, i think it already has...

Last edited by smbstyle; 7/11/11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 7/11/11 | 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
with all the reports of GT owners taking theirs in for issues, i think it already has...
+1 on that. It's hard to figure how Ford didn't come across this issue when they tested the MT82. It's not like Ford doesn't have racing and durability experience
Old 7/14/11 | 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

what are the symptoms of an overheated transmission anyway?
Old 7/14/11 | 10:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
what are the symptoms of an overheated transmission anyway?
You can't shift into 5th.
Old 7/14/11 | 11:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
You can't shift into 5th.
He can't shift into 6th either
Old 7/15/11 | 02:39 AM
Cobra Member

lol, well on my track day i had a hard time hitting fourth, and it was HOT so i was curious what the symptoms were.
Old 7/15/11 | 05:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Does this scoop cause any additional issues with clearance?? My splitter already had a run-in with a turtle last night.... Splitter - 1 / Turtle - 0......

It sounded and felt like i hit a **** boulder...
Old 7/15/11 | 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good info, thanks everyone.
Old 7/15/11 | 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
lol, well on my track day i had a hard time hitting fourth, and it was HOT so i was curious what the symptoms were.
of the 4 times I've missed a shift on track, it was always 3-4.

What makes it better is that family watch my track videos, and they all got to hear me yell a explicative on each miss.
Old 7/15/11 | 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction

What makes it better is that family watch my track videos, and they all got to hear me yell a explicative on each miss.
4 times, once to 3rd and 3 times to 5th. I just hung up and would not go into gear. I have missed some shifts being a dumba$$ but those were different.

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Does this scoop cause any additional issues with clearance?? My splitter already had a run-in with a turtle last night.... Splitter - 1 / Turtle - 0......

It sounded and felt like i hit a **** boulder...
Yes, well maybe
https://themustangsource.com/f813/wh...2/#post6100885

So far it has not caused an issue but it the lowest point under the car now.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 7/15/11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 7/15/11 | 10:52 AM
GTR Member

I've noticed in high temp weather, the shifter becomes "gummy" as it gets hot. Since I've talked to more people, it sounds like the kitty scoop is a good idea, considering the MT82 uses less fluid than similar transmissions, like the 6060. Clearance shouldn't be an issue much more than the front splitter I'd think, but maybe someone else can confirm this.
Old 7/15/11 | 10:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction

So what happens, does it feel like it locks you out of 4th and you are stuck in neutral, or does it want to find 6th, or even worse, 2nd?
Kind of nice to know these engines are good for over 8000 rpm just in case of a money $hift.
Old 7/15/11 | 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
4 times, once to 3rd and 3 times to 5th. I just hung up and would not go into gear. I have missed some shifts being a dumba$$ but those were different.

Yes
https://themustangsource.com/f813/wh...2/#post6100885

It has not caused an issue but it the lowest point under the car now.

This! this! that is exactly what my car did on the track. It simply and completely would not go into fourth, it went into fifth each time. if you get the scoup and it fixes the issue please let me know. i have had the clutch pedal stick too when its really hot out and the car is hot. it's roughly 105 here in texas now so the tranny is always hot.

i would love to hear the issue is simply the heat and not something needing fixed. i had the same issue heading up to San Antonio one time last week. punched it from second and all was fin on 2-3 then on 3-4 the pedal returned really slowly and i couldn't get into fourth. it was fine all the rest of the weekend though.

the time it did it last weekend i actually had removed my foot from the clutch for a bout a second and was hovering waiting to push it in for 5th and actually felt the pedal slap the bottom of my shoe about a second after i remove my foot from the clutch completely.
Old 7/15/11 | 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane, you got Dot4 fluid in it? What brand?
Old 7/15/11 | 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Shane, you got Dot4 fluid in it? What brand?
i didn't at the track, i do now. its wilwood dot 4. the fluid didn't help the 4th gear issue last weekend though, i had hoped it would. honestly though it was 105 and i had been running behind a slow 18-wheeler and finally got a short passing zone and let her rip. Each time it has done this has been on a hot day after a portion of the track or in an instance when the airflow under the car was disturbed. i am hoping its heat related because the dealer couldn't reproduce it and therefore did no investigating when i tried before. this is the first time ive heard of other boss owners having that exact same problem.

those of you that had the same issue, what were you doing at the time on the track and how hot was it outside. on my track it was after several low speed corners heading up to a high speed straight in 100+ weather. im thinking (hoping) the lower airflow let things get too hot and led to issues because as soon as i got on to a faster section with more air flow it shifted fine until that same exact area on the track. also on the track i had no issues in session 1 and 2 when the temps were in the mid 80's and i wasn't pushing as hard.

this is what i am wondering is happening. if you have been under your car the cooling fins on the tranny are actually below the level of the front aero tray, which would greatly reduce the air moving through those fins. on a low speed section there isn't enough air making its way over the top of that aero tray to cool the tranny hence it overheats and starts to shift poorly. this is basically the same thing that happened when the 18-wheeler in front of me was blocking most of the air flow. once moving faster the air ging on top of that aero tray cooled the tranny and let the car shift normally and once i was out from behind that 18-wheeler the same thing happened.

Last edited by ShaneM; 7/15/11 at 12:52 PM.
Old 7/15/11 | 12:59 PM
Cobra R Member

I have no idea what happens if a manual trans overheats, never heard of it before. My main reason for adding it is just to cool something/anything down, every little bit helps. The trans is attached to the engine and if that it cooler the engine will be also. I have not had overheating issues even in the FL heat but I don't drive as hard as some others.

I doubt based on my experiences with the shifting problems it has anything to do with heat, I also have no clutch issues.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 7/15/11 at 01:00 PM.
Old 7/15/11 | 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Just trying to determine if it is the trans itself that makes this gear change sometimes difficult or if it is the fluid getting to hot and prohibiting full clutch disengagement? If you experienced it once - say pre DOT4, it could be that you still have some air in the clutch system??

We had the 3 LS's at the track (each with the trans scoop and Motul 600 DOT 4) in 105 degree weather and no one ever had a similar complaint - but I will ask to make sure....

Last edited by nota4re; 7/15/11 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Kitty Litter Scoop worth 20+ degrees at the track on a hot day