Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Just Ordered BOSS - 1st Post - Simple Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/11, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Ordered BOSS - 1st Post - Simple Questions...

Hi gang -

Been researching/stressing/having 2nd thoughts about my order for a Performance White BOSS 302 for two weeks now. I've never seen one in person, and have at least 6 more weeks to wait for mine, so please bear with me.

I've read lots of threads in the Boss forums, but still have questions that need clarification. You guys can certainly answer them more accurately then the buttheads at the dealership can. Let's start off with a few easy ones - -

Does a BOSS 302 (non-LS) have:
  • intermittent wipers
  • fold-down rear seats
  • lock/unlock/trunk release buttons on BOTH key remotes
  • a factory alarm
- If no alarm, can this Ford alarm system be installed easily to work with the OEM keys?
http://www.partscheap.com/2007-2012-Ford-Mustang-Vehicle-Security-Alarm-p/7l3z-19a361-aa.htm

- Can this HomeLink rear-view mirror be installed easily?
http://www.partscheap.com/2010-12-Ford-Mustang-Mirror-Electrochromic-Compass-p/4l3z-17700-b-m10.htm

- Can Sirius radio be installed into the stock radio?
Otherwise, is there at least an Auxiliary input to connect an external Sirius unit or iPod/iPhone?

THANKS for the info...
Old 7/25/11, 02:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes to all features save for the factory alarm. The ford accessory one can be installed, but it is spendy for what you get. Homelink mirror retrofit has already been done by a few on this site.
Old 7/25/11, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dunno about satellite radio compatibility.

6 weeks is nothing, lol
Old 7/25/11, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

It would be so nice if thing like that had the instructions so someone could tell how hard it would be to install.....
Old 7/25/11, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

What options and where are you located? There's a white one here in NY just sitting at the dealer waiting for a new home
Old 7/25/11, 03:07 PM

I'm fairly certain sat radio can be added as there is a Sirius button on the radio and I believe the sticker says something about being sat ready.
Old 7/25/11, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I have heard satellite radio can be installed, but for the price that it costs to put the necessary stuff into the head unit or whatever, you would be better off just buying an aftermarket unit that has it and installing that. The fact that the button is there really means nothing, it was just easier for them to keep it there instead of making a new head unit just for the Boss(it's based off the base model GT). Granted this is just what I have heard and I didn't research it at all myself. There is an auxiliary port in the center console to hook up an Ipod and what not...which is all I need.
Old 7/25/11, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget autolamps I love them.

Chris (PTRocks) is working on a setup to install the factory alarm system in the Boss. He should have some answers on this soon.
Old 7/25/11, 04:53 PM
GT Member

The radio in my Boss: windows down, 4 pipes howling freakish pops and growls.
Old 7/25/11, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nccstud
From what I have heard satellite radio can be installed, but for the price that it costs to put the necessary stuff into the head unit or whatever, you would be better off just buying an aftermarket unit that has it and installing that. The fact that the button is there really means nothing, it was just easier for them to keep it there instead of making a new head unit just for the Boss(it's based off the base model GT). Granted this is just what I have heard and I didn't research it at all myself. There is an auxiliary port in the center console to hook up an Ipod and what not...which is all I need.
I just looked at my window sticker and under Interior it lists, AM/FM CD/MP3/SAT CAPABL w/ AUD INPUT JACK. I take this to mean that head unit is sat ready all you need is the sat radio module and the antenna. You may be right that the cost will be high considering we are talking about OEM parts.
Old 7/25/11, 06:01 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Don't forget autolamps I love them.

Chris (PTRocks) is working on a setup to install the factory alarm system in the Boss. He should have some answers on this soon.
I first went the route of installing the Accessory system. It's not particularly compatible with the car's PATS system. And is not integrated with the remote, only (mostly) to the way the car responds to the remote.
Old 7/25/11, 06:44 PM
GT Member

You could probably get all the stuff you want on it installed at your dealer (save some labor). But, of course (as always) it would always be cheaper to do it yourself.
Old 7/25/11, 07:34 PM
GT Member

6 weeks? Did they have an earlier quarter allocation that they didn't execute? Sounds optimistic based on the typical wait but that would be cool.
Old 7/25/11, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is what I found in regards to adding it....

"There is a module to add satellite radio to the base radio so that the oem radio buttons will control it.

Saw the other day where someone had this added to their car and the dealer got $625 for this."
Old 7/25/11, 10:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbossman
The radio in my Boss: windows down, 4 pipes howling freakish pops and growls.
So true. I turn the radio on for weather and traffic then it's back to the music of 4 pipes.
Old 7/26/11, 06:16 AM

Waiter. WAITER... Check Please!

Well, you guys are right about the wait time... I got a call from the dealer last evening (2 weeks after my order was submitted). Forget the "6-8 weeks" they originally estimated - I will now be waiting until mid-October for delivery...

So, to the experts (owners) here -
IS THIS CAR REALLY WORTH THE WAIT (hassle, price, lack of amenities, etc.)??

As a bit of background :

I've never owned a Ford before. I've had almost everything else though, including Porsches, BMW M3, MINI, Corvette, Honda, VW GTI and others. Obviously, I'm not brand-loyal and couldn't care less about 'heritage', nostalgia or collectability. I buy whatever is the current Best of Breed and offers the highest Bang-for-the-Buck available. It won't be my primary daily-driver, but WILL be street-driven regularly, as well as on-track for HPDE's and autocross.
Old 7/26/11, 07:12 AM

As for my intial questions - thanks to all that replied.

I guess the Sound of Mechanical Marvels underhood will just have to serve my musical needs... along with the Aux port for an iPod as back-up.

Anything near $625 to install Sirius is certainly not worth the effort. And I will wait for someone else to pioneer a decent (hopefully integrated) alarm solution.

I would probably add the HomeLink mirror, assuming it's an easy installation. That would also offer a convenient spot to connect my Valentine1 detector with an Invisicord (which is plug-n-play with this mirror, according to the Invisicord.com website).
Old 7/26/11, 07:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by "

IS THIS CAR REALLY WORTH THE WAIT (hassle, price, lack of amenities, etc.)?
It won't be my primary daily-driver, but WILL be street-driven regularly, as well as on-track for HPDE's and autocross.
YES!!!
you will definitely get your bang for the buck. You can use it as a docile DD, or put your foot down and scare yourself silly (I am always laughing at WOT romps).
It is worth the wait and worth well more than the price
Old 7/26/11, 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sat radio is about $300 in parts.
Old 7/26/11, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by EvilBoffin
Waiter. WAITER... Check Please!

Well, you guys are right about the wait time... I got a call from the dealer last evening (2 weeks after my order was submitted). Forget the "6-8 weeks" they originally estimated - I will now be waiting until mid-October for delivery...

IS THIS CAR REALLY WORTH THE WAIT (hassle, price, lack of amenities, etc.)??

As a bit of background :

I've never owned a Ford before. I've had almost everything else though, including Porsches, BMW M3, MINI, Corvette, Honda, VW GTI and others. Obviously, I'm not brand-loyal and couldn't care less about 'heritage', nostalgia or collectability. I buy whatever is the current Best of Breed and offers the highest Bang-for-the-Buck available. It won't be my primary daily-driver, but WILL be street-driven regularly, as well as on-track for HPDE's and autocross.
I come from a varied background of performance cars including the following: R35 GT-R, 997.2 Carrera S, E90 M3, IS-F and a GT500. So far I am having as much fun in the Boss as I had in any of the other cars. The engine is very responsive and pulls better down low than my M3 did. There is plenty of power, but it doesn't overwhelm the chassis like the 5.4 does in the GT500. The steering is pretty good and the car does a good job of going where you want it to without too much effort.

If you are used to all the bells and whistles you can get in some of the Euro cars then the Boss might disappoint you. I don't find that I miss these things, but the Boss isn't my daily driver. If I was looking for a performance car to drive every day I would probably lean more towards the M3 if my budget would allow just because you can get all the toys I like in my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered BOSS - 1st Post - Simple Questions...