Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Journey for a BOSS, How's yours going?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/11, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Journey for a BOSS, How's yours going?

Late Summer early Fall 2009, I begin researching and take test drives for a 2dr coupe, goal, try and stay under 50K.

Fast Forward--->

I/We are still test driving everything we can get our hands on, early 2010, I test drive a 5.0, must admit, not on my list before the test drive, after test drive,,,I'm surprised/shocked what Ford had done with the Mustang. I inform my Wife, that I've placed it near the top of my/our list (her favorite G-37).

Fast Forward--->

I/We decide to go with the 5.0, but will wait till summer to get one (incredible luck on my side that I waited)

Fast Forward--->

May 2010, news leaks of a possible BOSS, I contact every dealer within 250 miles, inquiring about BOSS possibility, could I place a deposit for MSRP and #1 position if BOSS becomes reality, got shot down by all but three dealers, they all take my name, the other 3 refuse deposit but assure me "It's yours if it happens",,,YADA-YADA-YADA!!!

Fast Forward--->

August 16 2010, I finally get a Dealer to take my order/deposit for a BOSS 302 1st Quarter allotment.

Fast Forward--->

Today, March 17 2011, I'm informed of a 'Scheduled To Week of April 11' and a 'VIN#' so much for being early on my part + a promised 1st Q from Ford, but I'm still excited (At least I think I am?!?!)

Thanks for allowing me to drain my not yet completed journey on this emotional roller coaster I'm stuck on.

Feel free to share or VENT your Journey.

Last edited by LQQK; 3/17/11 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I put wrong date for order/deposit.
Old 3/17/11, 04:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LQQK
Late Summer early Fall 2009, I begin researching and take test drives for a 2dr coupe, goal, try and stay under 50K.

Fast Forward--->

I/We are still test driving everything we can get our hands on, early 2010, I test drive a 5.0, must admit, not on my list before the test drive, after test drive,,,I'm surprised/shocked what Ford had done with the Mustang. I inform my Wife, that I've placed it near the top of my/our list (her favorite G-37).

Fast Forward--->

I/We decide to go with the 5.0, but will wait till summer to get one (incredible luck on my side that I waited)

Fast Forward--->

May 2010, news leaks of a possible BOSS, I contact every dealer within 250 miles, inquiring about BOSS possibility, could I place a deposit for MSRP and #1 position if BOSS becomes reality, got shot down by all but three dealers, they all take my name, the other 3 refuse deposit but assure me "It's yours if it happens",,,YADA-YADA-YADA!!!

Fast Forward--->

November 22 2010, I finally get a Dealer to take my order for a BOSS 302 1st Quarter allotment.

Fast Forward--->

Today, March 17 2011, I'm informed of a 'Scheduled To Week of April 11' and a 'VIN#' so much for being early on my part + a promised 1st Q from Ford, but I'm still excited (At least I think I am?!?!)

Thanks for allowing me to drain my not yet completed journey on this emotional roller coaster I'm stuck on.

Feel free to share or VENT your Journey.
Looks like the stars lined up for you actually Since the snow probably just melted, you'll get the car you wanted more, just in time for almost a full season of driving!
Old 3/17/11, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Went to my local dealer that I do business with and Ordered mine August 12, the day before the official intro, with the Laguna Seca package. Didn't even know what color(s) would be available.

Got it in writing MSRP, first in line to get one.

Dealer then informed that they were getting NO cars, yet alone an LS.

So the hunt began. By now we knew colors, price, options, etc.

Thanks to a member on SVTPerformance.com, I was put in touch with a dealer in Alabama that was getting 8 cars, 6 Boss 302s and 2 Laguna Secas, and selling all at MSRP!!!! I quickly got in touch with the GM and put a deposit down on their first LS, which is due second quarter. (Dealer recently informed me he is hoping it will be in by late may/early june).

Then more good luck happened, when I was informed by another member that the car could be courtesy delivered at no extra charge to my dealer here in Mass., that I wouldn't have to have the car shipped.

And finally, as the year wound down, looking over my financials, 2010 was still a good year for my business, and it looks like I will be able to put down about $30k and only have to borrow $20k for the car, and a local credit union is offering new car loans for 2.99%.

Everything has fallen into place better than I could have hoped.
From getting excited to being the "first", to being let down two weeks later, to getting a glimmer of hope to get one, to the deposit, to now just having to wait another 2 - 3 months, it will all be worth it in the end.
Old 3/17/11, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

I've been following this forums for a while now but this is my first post.

My journey started over five years ago. My wife, Krista, and I had been married for 18 years at the time and had just bought our dream home and adopted our second child. I was driving a 2004 mustang (my second one, the first was t-boned by someone running a red light). Life was pretty good for us at the time.

Then in November of that year my wife started having seizures and after visits to several doctors a tumor was found in her right temporal lobe. Subsequent surgery confirmed our worst fear, she had grade 4 brain cancer. This is the mother of all cancers with no known cure and she was given 12 months to live. We started to prepare for the worst.

Because of my wife's seizures and recovery from brain surgery we didn't think she would ever drive again. So we sold both our cars, including my mustang, and bought a 7 passenger Explorer to be able to fit our family and visitors as both her family and mine wanted to spend as much time with us as possible. Surprisingly to us, Krista's seizures went away and after she recovered from her surgery she was cleared to drive again. Having two drivers and only one car became a problem. So for my 40th birthday Krista bought me a 67 Mustang. It was only a coupe with a 289 and auto transmission but it was solid and reliable and I have driven almost daily for the past 4 years.

Miraculously Krista's fight lasted far beyond the 12 month prognosis she was given but sadly ended on December 10th of last year, just two days before the 5 year anniversary of her diagnosis. Her passing left me with our two children - Jacob 10 and Emma 5. Many things have changed in my life since her death, including greater responsibility for our children and I soon realized that driving my classic mustang was taking too much risk for my life and my children’s' future.

Part of Krista's reason for buying me the 67 was to help bring some joy into our lives at a time when there was so much fear. Despite that I decided that I needed to sell it and buy something with modern safety equipment. I had been following the development of the Boss 302 since early 2010 and it just made sense to trade an old classic for a modern classic. So in January of this year I put down a deposit on a Performance White Boss 302 with the Recaro seats and Torson differential. The car is a 2nd quarter build so I'm impatiently waiting like many on this forum. And thanks to a life insurance policy we had for Krista I will be able to pay cash for the car with plenty left over.

Krista has been my best friend for nearly three decades and this car can never fill the hole left by her passing but somehow I know that she approves. The 67 was meant to help brighten our lives when all seemed hopeless so this too will bring us a bit of fun and happiness to help our family deal with the loss.

Sorry for the downer story but I would have never been here without it.

All I have right now is an order number for a Q2 build with a priority of 3. I don't expect to know anything more it until May or June.
Old 3/17/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SneakyE
I've been following this forums for a while now but this is my first post.

My journey started over five years ago. My wife, Krista, and I had been married for 18 years at the time and had just bought our dream home and adopted our second child. I was driving a 2004 mustang (my second one, the first was t-boned by someone running a red light). Life was pretty good for us at the time.

Then in November of that year my wife started having seizures and after visits to several doctors a tumor was found in her right temporal lobe. Subsequent surgery confirmed our worst fear, she had grade 4 brain cancer. This is the mother of all cancers with no known cure and she was given 12 months to live. We started to prepare for the worst.

Because of my wife's seizures and recovery from brain surgery we didn't think she would ever drive again. So we sold both our cars, including my mustang, and bought a 7 passenger Explorer to be able to fit our family and visitors as both her family and mine wanted to spend as much time with us as possible. Surprisingly to us, Krista's seizures went away and after she recovered from her surgery she was cleared to drive again. Having two drivers and only one car became a problem. So for my 40th birthday Krista bought me a 67 Mustang. It was only a coupe with a 289 and auto transmission but it was solid and reliable and I have driven almost daily for the past 4 years.

Miraculously Krista's fight lasted far beyond the 12 month prognosis she was given but sadly ended on December 10th of last year, just two days before the 5 year anniversary of her diagnosis. Her passing left me with our two children - Jacob 10 and Emma 5. Many things have changed in my life since her death, including greater responsibility for our children and I soon realized that driving my classic mustang was taking too much risk for my life and my children’s' future.

Part of Krista's reason for buying me the 67 was to help bring some joy into our lives at a time when there was so much fear. Despite that I decided that I needed to sell it and buy something with modern safety equipment. I had been following the development of the Boss 302 since early 2010 and it just made sense to trade an old classic for a modern classic. So in January of this year I put down a deposit on a Performance White Boss 302 with the Recaro seats and Torson differential. The car is a 2nd quarter build so I'm impatiently waiting like many on this forum. And thanks to a life insurance policy we had for Krista I will be able to pay cash for the car with plenty left over.

Krista has been my best friend for nearly three decades and this car can never fill the hole left by her passing but somehow I know that she approves. The 67 was meant to help brighten our lives when all seemed hopeless so this too will bring us a bit of fun and happiness to help our family deal with the loss.

All I have right now is an order number for a Q2 build with a priority of 3. I don't expect to know anything more it until May or June.
1st, Welcome to TMS, I have found TMS to be very useful and friendly.

Don't know how to properly respond to your 5 year ordeal, sorry for your loss and I hope good things for you as you move forward.

I also went with PW & Black trim, good combination IMO, I bought black lens for the rear side marker to make stripe look better, when I get it installed I'll shoot you pics.
Old 3/17/11, 09:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Nice stories LQQK and Dave.

My story began last July when the buzz about the new 5.0's was getting a lot of attention. I had been thinking about a new car and really wanted a Porsche 911 or a Corvette. But I have nine year old twins so I really wanted something with a back seat. Besides I've always wanted a Mustang and my only other experience was with my Mom's 1974 Mustang II when I was a teenager. I went and test drove a 2011 Roush Stage 2 and was really impressed. My birthday is in September so I though the Roush would be a nice present to myself. While waiting the Boss was announced in August so I thought I should wait and see if I could get one at MSRP. On November 12th I saw a LS at the SacramentoAutoShow and was sold.

November 12, 2010: On my way home from the car show I stop by the local dealer I've been talking to since July to place a deposit on a Boss. They tell me they couldn't accept my deposit because "we don't know how much we'll want for the cars, for all we know it could be $100,000 over sticker". I swear on my mother's grave that's what they told me. The sales guy told me not to buy a car from them (really).

November 19, 2010: I placed my first deposit on a Q1 Boss 302 at a dealer in Los Angeles. I knew there might be a small ADM but this was the first dealer I spoke with that knew how to order one so I bit. Just by chance this was the same day the order guide was distributed.

Early January 2011: I hear the dealer where I have my order wants a $5K ADM. I search for another dealer and find one local for a Q2 car at MSRP.

January 21, 2011: I go to the dealer and place my deposit and get it in writing at MSRP.

January 27, 2011: Sales manager sends me an email there's a problem and the GM doesn't want to presell any Boss cars. I'm not waiting to see how this ends and immediately start looking for another car.

January 28, 2011: I find another Boss in San Jose area thanks to a couple of members here (thanks guys). It's a Q4 car at MSRP. The sales manager is very nice and will hold my order for two weeks without a deposit. He tells me if I find another car within two weeks he'll cancel my order with no questions.

February 3, 2011: I found another dealer locally that is only receiving one Boss and they agree to sell it to me at MSRP. This was approved by the owner and I viewed the email from the district rep confirming one Boss which is a Q2 build. I place my deposit and I'm confident this will be my last order. If it's not I'll either wait until 2013 or just buy a GT and make it a Boss sans engine.

I'm leaving out a lot of BS here to protect the guilty dealers. In January when I was calling around looking for a car one local dealer quoted me $25,000 over sticker. Anyway I hope all of you haven't had a negative experience with dip **** dealers like I have. There are good and honest dealers out there but you may have to look for them.

Anyway I have four VOC's and two DORA's to back up my story.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 3/17/11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 3/17/11, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by SneakyE

Thanks for sharing your story. No downer, it's just part of life. Your Boss will be a little more special than most of ours and I bet you'll enjoy it a great deal. Have fun with it!
Old 3/17/11, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SneakyE, I hope the Boss is everything you hope it to be and more. Amazing "journey".
Old 3/17/11, 09:26 PM
Cobra R Member

My journey is short, I found out about the Boss early January 2011 and contacted about 100 dealers and a few days later had my deposit down
Old 3/17/11, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

SneakyE: sorry for your loss. Seems like your wife was the type that would have approved of you getting the new Boss.

Just beginning my journey. Anyone with any leads on a dealer with allocations in the SF Bay Area or in Calif, please let me know.
Old 3/17/11, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tonylop33
Just beginning my journey. Anyone with any leads on a dealer with allocations in the SF Bay Area or in Calif, please let me know.
Start with the Ford dealer in Morgan Hill.
Old 3/18/11, 06:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Great thread idea!

January 2003- I went to the Detroit Autoshow and saw the 2005 concept Mustang. I really liked what I saw and was interested to see what the production model would look like.

Early 2004- pre-production photos of the 2005 begin to leak. I like what I saw even more than when I saw the concept. Not always does a concept translate to production, but in this case it worked well.

February 2004- I saw the Silver preproduction car with stripes and Fanblade wheels at the Chicago Autoshow. At this point, I knew I'd have an S197 at some point.

Summer 2004- I joined these forums, and spent nearly every spare minute I had in the evenings reading, hoping for new pictures, videos, etc. The pre-production buildup for the 2005 Mustang had an excitement that was fun to follow.

End of 2004-2007: Test drove a GT and loved it. I continued to follow these boards. My excitement about the car would always re-ignite on new rumors of SEs.

After endless talking about the S197, I think it finally rubbed off on Dad and he bought a 2007 GT in Performance white. He works in a body shop at a Ford dealer, and painted it up with black stripes to resemble a 1970 Boss.

End of 2008- My enthusiasm gets rekindled about S197 surrounding the 2010 pre-release hype. I remember always checking for the next Ford 'teaser' photo they were releasing each week leading up to the LA Auto Show. I LOVED what they had done to the front of the car and the interior but I wasn't really crazy about the rear end.

End of 2009- Hype begins to build about the 5.0L. Time has passed, and the rear end had either grown on me or the thought of a 5.0L with 400+ hp just made me entirely forget the rear end styling.

Leading up to August 2010- Continue to be impressed with the numbers the 5.0L is putting down as they start to arrive in larger numbers across the country.

August 2010- Then the hype leading up to the Boss. I'm back to checking the boards daily. The 13th hits, and I can't be pried away from the computer. I see that Competition Orange is making a return, so I HAD to have one. This is the first S197 that really made me want it. I always liked them, but this one grabbed me. I loved the concept of the car with performance being the first priority. My daily driver is a Focus, with nothing but A/C and a tilt wheel. I can deal with (relatively) few options. It seemed like this car was built exactly for me.

September 2010- I talk to the owner and new product manager of the dealership my Dad works at. He says I'm first on the list, and I'll get it for MSRP.

November 24, 2010- Order guides come out, I call the dealership, we place the order over the phone. Everything seems to be going well.

February 2, 2011- My dealer informs me that they have a new Rep who is telling them they DONT have Boss allocation, which is contradicting what the previous rep told them. They manage to contact the first Rep to have him confirm the information, and he says he made a mistake and in fact there is no allocation for a Boss.

I felt like I had been kicked below the belt. After an 8 year wait, I really had my heart set on the Boss. I come on the boards and ask for help- Looking for a dealer that has allocation for MSRP, and who could order it with options I wanted.

February 5- Many replies came through quickly. LQQK hooked me up with a dealer in Omaha selling one for MSRP. When I called, they had a Q1 car for MSRP but they said they couldn't change any of the options on it. I had them read off the options they had ordered, and it just happened to be EXACTLY what I had wanted anyways. I put in a downpayment.

Today- no VIN as of last week. I'm going to be calling tomorrow about that. I'm getting more excited as customer orders are being delivered.
Old 3/18/11, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Berol
Today- no VIN as of last week. I'm going to be calling tomorrow about that. I'm getting more excited as customer orders are being delivered.
We both have the same area rep., yesterday my VIV# came through, my dealer spoke with her (M.B. area Rep.) she told him that she was trying to get all of HER 1st Q's taken care of. So hopefully yours was submitted this week, my build week is April 11.
Old 3/18/11, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm still wating for a VIN number. Have changed the color on my order three times. Have owned an original 70 B2 since the mid-90s that I purchased in college (and that I drove almost daily for a year or so).
Old 3/18/11, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LQQK

congrats on your boss, would love to see it sometime when i am in lincoln

where did you order it from?
Old 3/18/11, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
LQQK

congrats on your boss, would love to see it sometime when i am in lincoln

where did you order it from?
Anderson of Lincoln.
Old 3/18/11, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It's nice to have a place where everyone understands your mania.

I also went with PW & Black trim, good combination IMO, I bought black lens for the rear side marker to make stripe look better, when I get it installed I'll shoot you pics.

LQQK,

You'll have to post a pick with your side markers. It sounds like it will look quite nice.
Old 3/18/11, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tonylop33
SneakyE: sorry for your loss. Seems like your wife was the type that would have approved of you getting the new Boss.

So far I have found 2 at a dealer in the east coast. They have not been built yet. They want 3-5k over MSRP. Search continues.
Old 3/18/11, 05:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

We both have the same area rep., yesterday my VIV# came through, my dealer spoke with her (M.B. area Rep.) she told him that she was trying to get all of HER 1st Q's taken care of. So hopefully yours was submitted this week, my build week is April 11.
Awesome news. I'm going to call tomorrow. Hopefully the same is true of my car. Does your VIN produce a window sticker on the web?
Old 3/18/11, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's been so long, I've forgotten a lot of the details. (Not surprising for someone my age)

What I do remember - last summer my wife and I were picking up her Fusion at the dealership. The dealership's owner saw me and asked what else he could do for us - I said "get me a Laguna Seca". He said if he got one, it would be mine. Then my wife asks if she wants to know what we're talking about...

The story is still being written.

Quick Reply: Journey for a BOSS, How's yours going?