Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Its tough to be the Boss!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/12, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its tough to be the Boss!!

Took the Boss 302 for a ride yesterday because i went a whole day without driving it. So i have been curious about the base Corvette and wanted to see if i could maybe test drive one. I went to my local dealer WIN Chevrolet (Formerly Cormier Chevy as of two weeks ago) So i drive in with the Boss and and start to walk up to the Vette's. The sales guys walks up and start the small talk. He asked me if that was my Mustang and what i had in it. I told him it had a 5.0 and that it was the Boss 302. I asked the guy is they had a 100th anniversary vette, but before i could finish my sentence he said "ZL1" I said no, no, no, if anything i'm waiting for the new 13' GT500. He give me a weird look like im an idiot. he says they have one if the 100th edition in the showroom. As we walk he has me the main question. "Are you looking to buy today?" I give him a little BS of my own and say that its not impossible" he continues to say "well if your not let me know so I can move on" I was beyond surprised of that comment. I told him "well if you have other things to do dont let me stop you." So i go outside to look at the line up of Vette's and for some reason he is still following me. As I'm looking at the vette's.

this how the rest of the conversation went...

Sales Guy: So how about we get you out of that mustang and in to a vette?
Me: (I smile) no thanks, I love that car and I'm never going to sell that car. That my car was faster then the this car (pointing at the base vette)
Sales Guy: What Car?
Me: this car, the basic vette, not the ZR1, it will probably give the Zo6 a run for its money.
Sales Guy: whats the 0-60 of your car.
Me: 4 sec
Sales Guy: oh, this is 4.3
Me: 0-60 is one thing but the Boss is built for the track. In the recent Car & Driver the Boss came in 4th, only beaten by the ZR1,GTR and the Panamera Turbo, All 100k+ cars.
Sales guys: yea ok, well have a nice day.

He walks away and I spend 10 more seconds looking at the vette. As I'm walking to my car i see him in the showroom talking to 2 other sales guys and starts pointing at my car sitting in the lot and begins to laugh.

Lets just say i left there very very loudly.

I bought my wife's car there but i doubt i will go back for anything.
Old 1/23/12, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Come one man, you know you aren't supposed to go to the enemy's camp!
Old 1/23/12, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I love the Boss 302 I still think the basic vette is just as good on a track. The IRS helps alot. Both are great cars, and would love to have both! Good luck an have fun shopping
Old 1/23/12, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Jealousy has a name, and it is Chevy.
Old 1/23/12, 09:46 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What a ****ty salesman. He basically
asked you if you were gonna buy today or not. I mean as a salesman I might think that in my head, but I never say it. Nothing good is going to come from saying that. He's better off pushing the cars features and getting you hooked on the test drive. Like that would have worked anyway.

What a lazy salesman.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/23/12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 1/23/12, 11:28 PM
GT Member

I'm a car guy. I like all types of cars regardless of the emblem on the hood. But I definitely a Boss guy. I would love to have a vette and I cant wait to see the new C7 but i won't give up the Boss.
Old 1/24/12, 12:00 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
What a ****ty salesman. He basically
asked you if you were gonna buy today or not. I mean as a salesman I might think that in my head, but I never say it. Nothing good is going to come from saying that. He's better off pushing the cars features and getting you hooked on the test drive. Like that would have worked anyway.

What a lazy salesman.
Yeah, salesmen like that miss some opportunities. You just never know who might pull in driving a 10-12 year old vehicle with 200,000 miles on it, wearing shorts, flip flops, and a ratty t-shirt ready to write a check for exactly what they want, only to be dismissed by some d-bag salesman.
Old 1/24/12, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Tell me about it! Last year I bought 3 new cars, and in every instance the dealer wouldn't even be interested when I asked to talk numbers. I was passed on to his lowly associate bc I wasn't worth his time. And every time I walked out of the dealership with the car I made sure the first salesman didn't get any commission. But I Really feel you on the Chevy experience. They totally brushed me off as if I couldn't afford the vette. Most probably bc I drove up in my 97 ram van with an ac unit on top and i already look younger than my age of 29, lol!

Oh little did they know...Come to think about it, I just did my taxes and I purchased nearly 150k in cars last year and not once was I treated like a potential customer, I'm done supporting this sub par economy with this sub par service.
Old 1/24/12, 01:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
I'm done supporting this sub par economy with this sub par service.
Old 1/24/12, 06:05 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalBoss302
"Are you looking to buy today?"..."well if your not let me know so I can move on"
Wow. Someone needs to remind him what his job is. It doesn't matter if you're lookin' to buy today...he should make you want to buy today. And that attitude doesn't cut it.
Old 1/24/12, 06:55 AM
V6 Member

Were you interested in purchasing the vette or did you just want to drive the vette?
Old 1/24/12, 09:58 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

SoCal,

Looks like you should join PETA: People for Ethical Treatment of A**holes. Remember, it's not polite to tease them, or make fun of their dream cars.
Old 1/24/12, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PITT BOSS
Were you interested in purchasing the vette or did you just want to drive the vette?
I was wondering the same thing. Not that the salesperson endeared himself with the commentary, but I suspect he was making a quick judgment call on if you were wanting a test drive for fun or if you were considering a buy.
Old 1/24/12, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
Jealousy has a name, and it is Chevy.
Ignorance has a name and it this Chevy dealer.

Know your customer. Know your product. And know your competition. Idiot.

Last edited by Fenderaddict2; 1/24/12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 1/24/12, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Ignorance has a name and it this Chevy dealer.

Know your customer. Know your product. And know your competition. Idiot.
This isn't just a Chevy problem. I have seen the same guy (type of guy) at several dealerships I've been to. (sorry to say, including Ford)
Hard to believe they can hold a job with the attitude they seem to display sometimes.
Look at all the BS alot of us got when talking to a salesman about the Boss. Some had no clue about the product.
Old 1/24/12, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Btw, my favorite initial experiences were at Porsche and BMW. Surprisingly, they eager to help me and not judge, they both got a car from me

Mercedes was a bit snobbish and my ford dealership acted like I couldn't afford the boss, they wouldn't even open the car door for me. I made a short walk to the Mazda dealer, knowing well that they are under the same ownership, and purchased from the Mazda fleet manager with nothing but the upmost respect. It took all of 1 min to negotiate a price. You should have seen the ford sales guys faces when I went over to sign the paper work....priceless
Old 1/24/12, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Btw, my favorite initial experiences were at Porsche and BMW. Surprisingly, they eager to help me and not judge, they both got a car from me

Mercedes was a bit snobbish and my ford dealership acted like I couldn't afford the boss, they wouldn't even open the car door for me. I made a short walk to the Mazda dealer, knowing well that they are under the same ownership, and purchased from the Mazda fleet manager with nothing but the upmost respect. It took all of 1 min to negotiate a price. You should have seen the ford sales guys faces when I went over to sign the paper work....priceless
That's awesome.
Old 1/24/12, 04:56 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to the Ford dealership in Irvine, CA in July 'cause I saw online they had a Boss and I wanted to see one in person. At the time I had a new 5.0 on order with an April '12 delivery, but the New Car Sales in Germany hadn't been able to keep one on the lot long enought to test drive. Anyway, went to the dealership and told them the situation and they let me take a '11 5.0 for a spin, no pressure. They even let me start up the Boss. I was very impressed with how cool they were about the whole thing. Turns out I found a Boss online had it shipped over and cancelled the order on the 5.0.
Old 1/24/12, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SoCalBoss302
Took the Boss 302 for a ride yesterday because i went a whole day without driving it. So i have been curious about the base Corvette and wanted to see if i could maybe test drive one. I went to my local dealer WIN Chevrolet (Formerly Cormier Chevy as of two weeks ago) So i drive in with the Boss and and start to walk up to the Vette's. The sales guys walks up and start the small talk. He asked me if that was my Mustang and what i had in it. I told him it had a 5.0 and that it was the Boss 302. I asked the guy is they had a 100th anniversary vette, but before i could finish my sentence he said "ZL1" I said no, no, no, if anything i'm waiting for the new 13' GT500. He give me a weird look like im an idiot. he says they have one if the 100th edition in the showroom. As we walk he has me the main question. "Are you looking to buy today?" I give him a little BS of my own and say that its not impossible" he continues to say "well if your not let me know so I can move on" I was beyond surprised of that comment. I told him "well if you have other things to do dont let me stop you." So i go outside to look at the line up of Vette's and for some reason he is still following me. As I'm looking at the vette's.

this how the rest of the conversation went...

Sales Guy: So how about we get you out of that mustang and in to a vette?
Me: (I smile) no thanks, I love that car and I'm never going to sell that car. That my car was faster then the this car (pointing at the base vette)
Sales Guy: What Car?
Me: this car, the basic vette, not the ZR1, it will probably give the Zo6 a run for its money.
Sales Guy: whats the 0-60 of your car.
Me: 4 sec
Sales Guy: oh, this is 4.3
Me: 0-60 is one thing but the Boss is built for the track. In the recent Car & Driver the Boss came in 4th, only beaten by the ZR1,GTR and the Panamera Turbo, All 100k+ cars.
Sales guys: yea ok, well have a nice day.

He walks away and I spend 10 more seconds looking at the vette. As I'm walking to my car i see him in the showroom talking to 2 other sales guys and starts pointing at my car sitting in the lot and begins to laugh.

Lets just say i left there very very loudly.

I bought my wife's car there but i doubt i will go back for anything.

LOL, you should have walked back in and said if the basic vette could beat your Boss you would buy it!
Old 1/24/12, 05:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I never deal with the salesman. I always ask to speak to the GM, or the sales manager. Those are the guys that are going to approve any deal anyway so you may as well cut out the salesman.

Quick Reply: Its tough to be the Boss!!