2012-2013 BOSS 302

I just went in for an oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/12, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Boss
Thanks all for the warm response. Looking forward to learn what I can from everyone

I'm sure this is somewhere in this forum, but what is the real skinny on the restrictor plates? My dealer says if I remove the plates it nulls my factory and extended warranty. I talked to another service department and they said it wouldn't but they would not remove them. They said if damage was a result of the plate removal, that issue would not be covered. In both instances, neither service department were aware of the quad exhaust or restrictor plates and the track key for that matter.

I plan to keep her stock for the most part unless the upgrade doesn't effect my warranties or track key performance when I get it. This is the part I get frustrated with buying a new car, what can I and can't I do. On my Shelby, it only had 12K miles so it was like new, but there was only 3 months left on the warranty so it didn't matter.

If there is a clear thread on this, just point me to it. I've ordered 3/4 and 1 inch plates and am dying to try no plates.

Lastly I saw a thread on how activating the track key nulls any extended warranty and they should not be sold. I've asked several dealers, one of which called a Ford Racing contact and all have said there is no truth to this.

Confusing....
Wow. Your local dealers are all completely full of bs man. I'm sorry for that. Keep looking around. The track key I can't speak on, but taking the plates out of your exhaust voiding your warranty is a f*cking joke.
Old 11/27/12, 01:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that is such a cool story and picture. Nicely done man. Way cool
Old 11/27/12, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Wow. Your local dealers are all completely full of bs man. I'm sorry for that. Keep looking around. The track key I can't speak on, but taking the plates out of your exhaust voiding your warranty is a f*cking joke.
Yeah..I'm getting that feeling. Had one local dealer tell me my AC compressor was bad and leaking and the whole system and AC clutch had to be replaced after I got my Shelby back after an accident with a $1700 estimate. Got a second opinion from a non-ford shop and they determined the compressor was fine and the leak was in the refill valve that The dealer damaged when recharging the AC doing the warranty work. Apparently a common occurrence if not done carefully. $10 part, $30 labor and my AC was colder than new. The service manager apologized and refunded me for the service diagnostic only.
Old 11/27/12, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

As far as the ESP goes, if you have an issue that is deemed to be caused by the Trakey then you are covered for only 3yrs. from the time your car was put in to service ( the day you took delivery of it). Why pay for an ESP when your car will not be covered under the above circumstances for the extended period of time?
Old 11/27/12, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the Mustang Source DB.
Old 11/27/12, 02:50 PM

Man, I succumbed too! Took my '13 PW GT500 vert in for LoJack, and there was a '13 SBY Boss LS, just off the truck! Picking it up Friday, I am going to have the most awesome garage in N Houston!! 2 dream stangs nestled together...
Old 11/27/12, 03:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dagger1
Man, I succumbed too! Took my '13 PW GT500 vert in for LoJack, and there was a '13 SBY Boss LS, just off the truck! Picking it up Friday, I am going to have the most awesome garage in N Houston!! 2 dream stangs nestled together...
Baller!

Congrats to the OP as well!
Old 11/27/12, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dagger1
Wow! You're my idol.
Old 11/27/12, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
As far as the ESP goes, if you have an issue that is deemed to be caused by the Trakey then you are covered for only 3yrs. from the time your car was put in to service ( the day you took delivery of it). Why pay for an ESP when your car will not be covered under the above circumstances for the extended period of time?
That is what I'm trying to determine. Is the ESP not applicable period or is it a case by case basis to see if the use of the track key caused the problem. If my A/C dies or dash electronics dies after 3 Years, it is not a result of the track key. If they will automatically default to any drive train issue as a result having the track key enabled then you are right, why have the ESP.

My initial findings however is that this is not the case. I can't remember who posted that their dealer confirmed they should not have sold him an ESP. But I am being told by Ford Racing that that answer was not coming from Ford. Especially if the ESP is a ford ESP and not a 3rd party. Dealers offer both. I know this because I enquired if the clutch was covered. In one plan it was and the other it was not.

I'm more confused now after typing this out
Old 11/27/12, 03:53 PM

Thumbs up Congrads and Welcome to Club !

'Twas the day before thanksgiving, a good day to do maintenance on my '08 GT500 I thought. Needed an inspection renewal, had a nail in the rear tire and was due for an oil change. Went to the Ford Truck City a few miles from where I live and was told 2.5 hour wait. Well, I already spent half of my day off and was not wanting to wait that long so I drove to the Ford dealership in south Austin. They said it would be about an hour, so I headed to the showroom.They had a red '13 GT500 for $66K with a $20K ADM. Yikes I said. Good luck. I saw two grabber blue stangs out on the patio. Figured they were 5.0s. Nope...two bosses.
I've dreamt of owning a grabber blue stang since I saw one with my dad when I was 9. I thought hmmm...Told the sales guy that came to see if I was ok, could probably get a good deal on one of these with a smile. He said maybe. They were just under $45K with $5K ADM. I told him I'm not paying an ADM. To make a long story short, I traded in my baby Shelby for a bad Boss. Been grinning ever since!

New to this forum. Excited about that too!

Doubly cool, in 2010 Ford came through Austin with a screening of the new 2010s before the launch, including the new grabber blue. There were some vintage grabbers from local owners too. I went to take a peak and was drooling with envy. Thought to myself, "someday". When the 2010 Mustang Brochure came out, I was shocked to see a picture of me looking at the sweet blue stangs. I thought that was so cool to be part of Ford history. My sales guy gave me a 2013 brochure and I was thumbing through it, only to see that same picture with me in the corner. It was only a small pic, not like the full page spread in '10, but I was geeked to be in the same year brochure as my new baby.

Just wanted to share my experience and introduce myself to the members here...
Congrads and Welcome to The Club!
Old 11/27/12, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

That is what I'm trying to determine. Is the ESP not applicable period or is it a case by case basis to see if the use of the track key caused the problem. If my A/C dies or dash electronics dies after 3 Years, it is not a result of the track key. If they will automatically default to any drive train issue as a result having the track key enabled then you are right, why have the ESP.

My initial findings however is that this is not the case. I can't remember who posted that their dealer confirmed they should not have sold him an ESP. But I am being told by Ford Racing that that answer was not coming from Ford. Especially if the ESP is a ford ESP and not a 3rd party. Dealers offer both. I know this because I enquired if the clutch was covered. In one plan it was and the other it was not.

I'm more confused now after typing this out
I made my decision not to purchase the Trackey tune based on what the dealer told me when it was first released as I already had the ESP.
Old 11/27/12, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by orng302
I made my decision not to purchase the Trackey tune based on what the dealer told me when it was first released as I already had the ESP.
What did your dealer tell you exactly?
Old 11/27/12, 08:16 PM
GT Member

If there is a clear thread on this, just point me to it. I've ordered 3/4 and 1 inch plates and am dying to try no plates.
Oh just take the darn things out. It's not that loud with them completely removed. I worried about setting off sound limits at tracks but it doesn't even come close and somebody even described it as "quiet". The increase in sound with them removed is quite enjoyable in the cabin, doooo it.
Old 11/27/12, 08:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Remove those exhaust plates and get the red key tune done. It sounds awesome and feels more responsive to your driver inputs also its a dealer install so the warranty is intact!
Old 11/27/12, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

What did your dealer tell you exactly?
That I would have wasted the money I spent on the ESP if I got the trackey as it would have diminished the value (coverage) of the ESP. Diminished NOT eliminated.
Old 11/27/12, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Diminished, but not voided. If you aren't getting track key done, you are missing out on sooooooo much of the car. My advice, risk the loss of the value in ESP. Just DO it! Get those plates out too.
Old 11/28/12, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Yeah. I'm close. Thanks for the follow up. Not sure I follow how the track "diminishes" the value of the ESP. My understanding is they would have to prove the use of the track key caused the warranty issue to deny.

Ultimately I am waiting to hear back from my dealer with more specifics. It was their head service writer that said removal of the plates nulls my factory warranty period. I told my sales guy last night, that is BS and he agreed. I want to be able to bring my car in for service here. Also seeing if they will get me a deal on the track key to take care of an unrelated issue I have. I should have negotiated it into the deal but I was unaware it was an added cost to activate when I bought the car.

This may be a silly question. Do I need to do the track key install before removing the plates? Not sure if the computer calibration actually reads any diagnostics that may change with the plates removed.
Old 11/28/12, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

One does not require the other. And it is extremely easy to remove the plates. Youtube it if you are not sure where they are. Back the car up on ramps gave me enough room. Remove the bolt that holds the tip to the body and then the two at the flange, drop the plate and enjoy! These computers compensate very well, even for aftermarket exhaust. Removing the plates doesn't really do much but let out more sound.
Old 11/28/12, 12:49 PM
V6 Member

Just remove the plates. Trust me.
Old 11/28/12, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the forum. Im with everyone else, remove the plates and get the track key!

Quick Reply: I just went in for an oil change...