Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

I gotta ask - daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta ask - daily driver?

I have searched but haven't found anyone that has asked the question outright. Anyone bought a Boss 302 strictly as an awesome car to own with little to no intentions of ever tracking it? I have seen several people that are clearly very serious about tracking the car, and I have seen people that clearly wanted a great track car but use it for daily driving as well. I would potentially fall into the category of buying one cause it's awesome. I am not a member of any club or association, don't have the time to do it, but really like the Boss. I know, blasphemy.

So beyond ticking off the traditionalists, how different would I be? Anyone else out there own a Boss strictly because they wanted a Boss, not because they wanted a track car?
Old 8/3/11, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are a lot of people who won't track this car, or will track it very few times. I am a mustang fan and have been as long as I have been driving, so the appeal of the Boss 302 was huge with me. I do like the idea of tracking and may try it a few times locally just for fun; however, I will likely never be to serious about it. I will definitely go to the Ford track day at Miller Motor Sport though; what a great opportunity to learn and have some fun.

As far as a daily driver I think the car is fine, as long as you don't mind the lack of satellite, sync..etc. If you have a pension for mustangs or sporty cars in general, this should appeal to you...Sh.t the car should appeal to everyone! It truly is a beautiful running machine.
Old 8/3/11, 03:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought mine because I haved wanted a Boss since they came out in 1969 and I was 16. My first car was a 1970 Mustang. I have wanted another one since that '70 and the reintroduction of the Boss pushed me over the edge. I did not buy mine for track use or a daily driver, I bought it purely for fun. I will take it to the track, but not on a regular basis. If I didnt have a beater for a DD, the Boss would work great for that. It is the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel. It responds equally well to both grandpa and maniac driving input (I am both).
I am also trying to keep the mileage down as I told "the boss" that I was buying "The Boss" for our grandson's first car. He will get it in 16 years, when he hits 18. It should be broken in by that point.
Old 8/3/11, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I am exactly what you speak of. I doubt my car will ever see track time. It's possible, just not very likely. I drive it every day(gotta enjoy it while I can until winter hits). I was looking for something different and wanted a toy before the wife and I start having kids...so our kid for now is blue with white stripes
Old 8/3/11, 03:12 PM
V6 Member

I had a 70 that got totaled in 1974, by another driver, have always had mustangs, have always had a personalized plate that says BLYBOSS so had to have one when they came out, just purely for pleasure, will run it at the drags ocassionaly, but that it is it for me for track use
Old 8/3/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I plan on tracking my car with the 11 psi tune and 630 rwhp after I get the AFCO intercooler with dual fans, air to oil cooler, Steeda springs and Strano rear bar on it.
Old 8/3/11, 04:35 PM

I've always wanted a Mustang since I was in high school and a buddy had a 1982 Mustang with a 5.0. The Boss has plenty of power(duh), comfortable on the street, handles great on the freeway ramp, and gets lots of attention from everybody from 10 year olds to old guys. The car is just cool. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 8/3/11, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
DD all the way. Never been on a track and don't plan on it now. Yes I will go to track attack, but thats not my car. :-)
Hope to put a million miles on it before I die and leave it to my grandson who just turned one.

Last edited by truegeek; 8/3/11 at 05:20 PM.
Old 8/3/11, 05:38 PM

I knew the BOSS would be a cool car, but never made any "plans" to purchase one. I just happened to drive by the dealer at lunch and saw it on the showroom floor, traded in my daily driven F-150 that afternoon and drove home in the BOSS.
I want to track it very much now that I have it, but the nearest open track is around 3 hrs away, so that's probably not realistic right now.
I'll have my Bullitt back up and running in the next few weeks though, so I can bring the BOSS off of DD status.
Old 8/3/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
azoufan - who cares?

As long as you're happy with it, who cares what anybody thinks about what you do with it (within the realm of the law). I say drive it and enjoy it!
Old 8/3/11, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
I think there are a lot of people who won't track this car, or will track it very few times. I am a mustang fan and have been as long as I have been driving, so the appeal of the Boss 302 was huge with me. I do like the idea of tracking and may try it a few times locally just for fun; however, I will likely never be to serious about it. I will definitely go to the Ford track day at Miller Motor Sport though; what a great opportunity to learn and have some fun.

As far as a daily driver I think the car is fine, as long as you don't mind the lack of satellite, sync..etc. If you have a pension for mustangs or sporty cars in general, this should appeal to you...Sh.t the car should appeal to everyone! It truly is a beautiful running machine.
When are you going to Miller?
Old 8/3/11, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by truegeek
DD all the way. Never been on a track and don't plan on it now. Yes I will go to track attack, but thats not my car. :-)
Hope to put a million miles on it before I die and leave it to my grandson who just turned one.
A man with a plan. Nice! I'm going to try and keep it under 100k but I have almost 4k after 6 weeks or so. My 99 Ford truck has about 275k and my 64 Falcon probably has 400k+ so my track record for keeping miles off isn't very promising.
Old 8/3/11, 07:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I knew the BOSS would be a cool car, but never made any "plans" to purchase one. I just happened to drive by the dealer at lunch and saw it on the showroom floor, traded in my daily driven F-150 that afternoon and drove home in the BOSS.
I want to track it very much now that I have it, but the nearest open track is around 3 hrs away, so that's probably not realistic right now.
I'll have my Bullitt back up and running in the next few weeks though, so I can bring the BOSS off of DD status.
I also traded in an F150 for my BOSS. Wish I had a Bullitt for a DD. My DD is a 2006 Honda Element, not quite the same.
Old 8/3/11, 07:52 PM
Cobra R Member

With 10,000 KMs on mine it has become my DD, although that was not the intention. Unfortunately no one is buying used Bimmers these days. So without the funds for a DD/ winter beater I am thinking I may have to sell the Boss and go back to the be'em.
Old 8/3/11, 09:57 PM
V6 Member

I bought mine to be a daily driver. Will I track it, yes, but it's main purpose is to drive everyday. As soon as I saw the car I knew I had to have it, and I'm loving every minute of it (5k miles since May)! Will be sad when the snow comes and she sits in the garage :-(
Old 8/3/11, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Track it...Maybe; but I'm buying a Boss because...

I owned a '70 Boss about 10 years ago; but it never ran like I thought it should, and drove like a truck with no power steering.

I was at the 2012 Boss 302 introduction at Lagua Seca last August, and immediately wanted a 2nd chance at owning a Boss.......Competition Orange and Recaros.

Deysha just let me know the car is due to be built by August 15th, and delivered to CA by the 29th...."subject to change" of course.

I recently found a low-mileage FR500S and plan to use that for my track car....but you never know.

BTW, can someone give me the link for printing a window sticker, now that I have a VIN for the car?
Thanks in advance.
Old 8/4/11, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
When are you going to Miller?
Not 100% sure yet, you?
Old 8/4/11, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by chief_charlie
I owned a '70 Boss about 10 years ago; but it never ran like I thought it should, and drove like a truck with no power steering.

I was at the 2012 Boss 302 introduction at Lagua Seca last August, and immediately wanted a 2nd chance at owning a Boss.......Competition Orange and Recaros.

Deysha just let me know the car is due to be built by August 15th, and delivered to CA by the 29th...."subject to change" of course.

I recently found a low-mileage FR500S and plan to use that for my track car....but you never know.

BTW, can someone give me the link for printing a window sticker, now that I have a VIN for the car?
Thanks in advance.
Here is the link. Just insert your VIN after the =.
http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...ticker.pdf?vin=
Old 8/4/11, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I sold my DD to buy the Boss. The plan was to drive the Boss as a DD and convert my old M3 to a dedicated track car. As of today, I haven't been able to subject the Boss to the abuse of DD or track use, so the M3 has become my DD. I either need to find a cheap DD or get over my "I don't want to hurt my baby" attitude towards the Boss.
Old 8/4/11, 07:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
I sold my DD to buy the Boss. The plan was to drive the Boss as a DD and convert my old M3 to a dedicated track car. As of today, I haven't been able to subject the Boss to the abuse of DD or track use, so the M3 has become my DD. I either need to find a cheap DD or get over my "I don't want to hurt my baby" attitude towards the Boss.
Take it to the grocery store and have some woman loading her mini van run her shopping cart into it. Done. You're over it. Now you can drive it without fear

My windshield's sandblasted, I had two rock chips repaired from last weekend, an 1/8" cut in the front clip by the yellow driving light from a random piece of debris and several small rock chips. I told the wife, that's kind of a shame as I'm cleaning all the rubber off the front half of the car. She's like would you stop worrying about it, you bought it to track it, so just enjoy it The GT500 is the same way. From 10 feet it looks great. Up close the front end could use a paint job, but not bad enough to worry about yet. I't normal when the car's brand new, but as long as you maintain it mechanically, the minor cosmetic stuff can be fixed later when you just want to return it to a DD or weekend cruiser.

To the OP's point. Heck yea, buy it for a DD if that's what you want. It makes a great DD. It looks awesome, sounds even better, and can make any winding road a rollercoaster ride.

Last edited by cloud9; 8/4/11 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: I gotta ask - daily driver?