The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   I can't believe I'm considering this..... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/i-cant-believe-im-considering-488080/)

Whammer 10/5/10 06:27 AM

I can't believe I'm considering this.....

I drove by a Dodge dealer the other day and this Challenger catches my eye. It's Furious Fuchsia! While the car has a bit of a pink tone to it, it really is beautiful looking. So today I'm taking a Furious Fuchsia SRT8 for a test drive.

I've never driven a Challenger so I'm very curious how it drives. I'm expecting a very comfortable ride and pretty decent power (at speed). I don't expect to take off very well and compared to my GT500 I'm expecting it to feel like a slug. But only a test drive will confirm all that.

It's funny where the road takes you when you start looking at new cars. I can't believe I'm looking at a Challenger. I blame this all on Ford, they really needed to get the info on the Boss out.

Glenn 10/5/10 12:20 PM

They are nice :)

I like the challenger and I think you will too. Its great for hauling the kids and not to bad on trips either. Let us know what you think. Oh hey don't blame ford for anything LOL

Tony Alonso 10/5/10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5956825)
It's funny where the road takes you when you start looking at new cars. I can't believe I'm looking at a Challenger. I blame this all on Ford, they really needed to get the info on the Boss out.

I'd blame this on an incurable disease called "car enthusiastitus impatientus" :)

Other than pricing, a production number confirmation, and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I think there is quite a bit of information out there on the Boss already. What else is missing?

Whammer 10/5/10 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 5957031)
I'd blame this on an incurable disease called "car enthusiastitus impatientus" :)

Other than pricing, a production number confirmation, and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I think there is quite a bit of information out there on the Boss already. What else is missing?

I'd like to see some real driving footage,. Some in car stuff, some driver reviews. Basically anyone who orders one of these is going in almost completely cold. We will not be getting to test drive it. I'd like to know if there are any options or if this car is really stripped down. Manual seats??? Really???

jedikd 10/5/10 03:09 PM

You're cross-shopping a Road-race car against a 4000lb+ boat?

The Challenger and the Boss 302 are for two VERY different purposes.

And you realize the Boss is a 2012 car right? They're still trying to sell 2010s and 2011s here...

stangfoeva 10/5/10 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jedikd (Post 5957125)

And you realize the Boss is a 2012 car right? They're still trying to sell 2010s and 2011s here...

And the cross between those two is a GT500. :jester:

Whammer buy a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT PP :D

Whammer 10/5/10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5957128)
And the cross between those two is a GT500. :jester:

Whammer buy a 2011 GT500 w/ SVT PP :D

I've test driven 3 '011 GT500's and I thought they were great. Handled well, awesome amount of power. But price is a bit of an issue. Here in Canada those cars are sitting at 64k with some options on them. The SRT8 Challenger was 51k and the sales manager dropped it down to 47k.

I'm basically doing all this in order to assess if I really need to buy another car? My 08 GT500 has about 6k miles on it. It drives well and has lot's of power. The only way to know is to test drive these cars and see how I feel driving them.

I'm realizing that King of the Hill performance only last until next year's models come out. I'm also asking myself "how much power do I really need?" I don't take my car to the drag strip and a decent roadcourse track is several hours drive away from me, so I doubt that will happen very often. So I'm looking at what's fun to drive and what makes me happy.

Whammer 10/5/10 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jedikd (Post 5957125)

No, I'm cross shopping to see which is the best fit for me.

stangfoeva 10/5/10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957134)
I've test driven 3 '011 GT500's and I thought they were great. Handled well, awesome amount of power. But price is a bit of an issue. Here in Canada those cars are sitting at 64k with some options on them. The SRT8 Challenger was 51k and the sales manager dropped it down to 47k.

I'm basically doing all this in order to assess if I really need to buy another car? My 08 GT500 has about 6k miles on it. It drives well and has lot's of power. The only way to know is to test drive these cars and see how I feel driving them.

I'm realizing that King of the Hill performance only last until next year's models come out. I'm also asking myself "how much power do I really need?" I don't take my car to the drag strip and a decent roadcourse track is several hours drive away from me, so I doubt that will happen very often. So I'm looking at what's fun to drive and what makes me happy.

$64k :jaw: Ouch!

well you should be in no rush with a great car like an '08 GT500. Take your sweet time man and enjoy your GT500 until more BOSS tidbits come out

Flagstang 10/5/10 03:59 PM

if you want something thats alittle bigger get a sho taurus. I have only heard great thing. I also enjoyed my test drive. plus awd will rock in the canadian winter. Just test a sho also.

Whammer 10/5/10 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5957003)
I like the challenger and I think you will too. Its great for hauling the kids and not to bad on trips either. Let us know what you think. Oh hey don't blame ford for anything LOL

I was quite certain the SRT8 Challenger would be no match in the power department for my GT500, but I was interested in what it would do.
So I head out for a test drive (with a salesman) and the sales manager asks me not to put too many miles on. I tell him I'll be easy with it and he says- no drive it hard! Just don't put too many miles on it.

I fire it up (push button start, nice) and shift into reverse to back up. The engine engaged nicely. I shift to 1st and then head out of the lot. Car sounds very good and the car had nice pick up (3.92 gears). I was very surprised with the power, I thought it would be more sluggish from the kind of comments have read on various forums. The ride was very smooth, smoother than my GT500. I got on a small section of highway and opened it up a bit. I was right about it not having the GT500`s power, it had plenty of power and most people would be impressed by it. Only if you've driven something like a Shelby would you feel it lacking.

I felt the weight difference and the lesser HP. The weight difference wasn't felt in the handling, it didn't feel like a boat. It was more like- I know the car is heavier and that weight takes away some of the power. I wasn't disappointed with it, it just felt "less" than the Shelby.

I thought the interior was very nice. Again I expected it to feel overly large, but I felt secure in the seat and didn't feel like I was in a boat of a car.

I'm going to take it for another test drive so I can get a better feel for it. But I enjoyed it.

Flagstang 10/5/10 04:20 PM

on my test drive I felt it lacking in the corner. Did you take it on a raod with some corners?

Automagically 10/5/10 05:01 PM

Still want Plum Crazy Purple

Whammer 10/5/10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 5957163)
on my test drive I felt it lacking in the corner. Did you take it on a raod with some corners?

Not really, just some city driving. Next drive I'm going to press it a bit more.

Whammer 10/5/10 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically (Post 5957194)
Still want Plum Crazy Purple

Yeah, I'm thinking about that color as well.

Glenn 10/5/10 06:26 PM

The seats are nice For shore

LagunaBeach 10/5/10 07:10 PM

And why is this in the Boss section?

cdynaco 10/5/10 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach (Post 5957269)
And why is this in the Boss section?

:redlight: :redlight: DANGER DANGER!! Thread Police! :rolleyes:

Because he's trying to make sure he really wants to wait for a Boss.

LagunaBeach 10/5/10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5957278)

:redlight: :redlight: DANGER DANGER!! Thread Police! :rolleyes:

Because he's trying to make sure he really wants to wait for a Boss.

Are you still upset over my Bullitt comment months ago?

cdynaco 10/5/10 07:38 PM

No - don't even remember it.

But I always chuckle when people try and stifle conversation flow. The posts on TMS are HALF what they used to be, so I think conversations should be allowed to run their course... they always get back on track. At least people are posting a bit more... on some days...

now I should prob do this about now...

:topic:

LagunaBeach 10/5/10 07:52 PM

I agree, conversations should be able to run their course. But I come to the Boss section to hear what people are saying about the Boss, not driving impressions about a Dodge. It's not like he was comparing it to the Boss either, wasn't even mentioned.

ford4v429 10/5/10 08:27 PM

if I had to choose between the boss 302 and challenger, gotta admit I'd chose the mopar...sorry but still hung up on looks- and that challenger looks great coming AND going...went to the auto show this year sat in the mustang/camaro/challenger, where the camaro interior sucked, the mustang was perfect, and the challenger was very nice...lookswise hated the camaro front and rear- side profile looks ok till you get close, the windows are too short/beltline toohigh, the challenger looks great, but it is freakin huge, the mustang looks good, but the rearend just dont work for me...

I drove a buddies gt500 a while back was actually kinda let down...until it gets loud its not pinning you to the seat- was really expecting the torque off idle of a old bigblock, just not there...to me off idle torque would be better than a bizillion hp I cant legally feel daily, miss the bigblocks.
havent driven a challenger yet(nor a 5.0- but have read bottom end torque on the 5.0 was even down a bit from the 4.6, price you pay for cams that will take it to 7500 I guess) but guessing a srt8 would feel pretty good off the track...two strikes against the challenger are mopars notariety for quality issues and priced too high...car-wise I'd love it except for those two reasons

will be curious to see if the ecoboost comes to the 5.0...the little EB3.5 has more torque off idle than anything else non-diesel Ford offers...like 370 ft-lb at 1500...makes the 4.6's 320 @ 4500 pretty pathetic...too bad it dont sound like a V8 (yet). hoping MAYBE a EB5.0 will show up with 500 ft-lb @ 1500- wouldnt THAT be a kick in the pants :) Boss dont get it, but maybe a mach1 or something will eventually...till then though, sorry- kinda ashamed to say no interest in the boss 302 here...p

Whammer 10/5/10 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach (Post 5957294)
I agree, conversations should be able to run their course. But I come to the Boss section to hear what people are saying about the Boss, not driving impressions about a Dodge. It's not like he was comparing it to the Boss either, wasn't even mentioned.

Well there is NOTHING to say about the Boss. Ford has done a poor job with getting out any info. Do they expect people to order one without having any knowledge about the car?
What about the mythical "red key"??? Isn't it about time they revealed this big secret? We are closing in on nearly 2 months since they announced they were bringing back the Boss and they haven't released any more info. This forum has almost died due to the lack of new info. The internet provides free product promotion and Ford isn't taking full advantage of it.

cdynaco 10/5/10 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957311)
Do they expect people to order one without having any knowledge about the car?

I understand your other points. But in reference to the quote, yes. Just like some of us bought our own SE's without even test driving. The car was perfect and right for us. I'm sure there will be more than enough Boss buyers - even with the bizarro color schemes.

incomingRPG 10/5/10 08:52 PM

Ford should have just waited and NOT released any information at all on the Boss until November. What were they thinking? :doh:

cdynaco 10/5/10 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429 (Post 5957310)
if I had to choose between the boss 302 and challenger, gotta admit I'd chose the mopar...sorry but still hung up on looks- and that challenger looks great coming AND going...went to the auto show this year sat in the mustang/camaro/challenger, where the camaro interior sucked, the mustang was perfect, and the challenger was very nice...lookswise hated the camaro front and rear- side profile looks ok till you get close, the windows are too short/beltline toohigh, the challenger looks great, but it is freakin huge, the mustang looks good, but the rearend just dont work for me...

I drove a buddies gt500 a while back was actually kinda let down...until it gets loud its not pinning you to the seat- was really expecting the torque off idle of a old bigblock, just not there...to me off idle torque would be better than a bizillion hp I cant legally feel daily, miss the bigblocks.
havent driven a challenger yet(nor a 5.0- but have read bottom end torque on the 5.0 was even down a bit from the 4.6, price you pay for cams that will take it to 7500 I guess) but guessing a srt8 would feel pretty good off the track...two strikes against the challenger are mopars notariety for quality issues and priced too high...car-wise I'd love it except for those two reasons

will be curious to see if the ecoboost comes to the 5.0...the little EB3.5 has more torque off idle than anything else non-diesel Ford offers...like 370 ft-lb at 1500...makes the 4.6's 320 @ 4500 pretty pathetic...too bad it dont sound like a V8 (yet). hoping MAYBE a EB5.0 will show up with 500 ft-lb @ 1500- wouldnt THAT be a kick in the pants :) Boss dont get it, but maybe a mach1 or something will eventually...till then though, sorry- kinda ashamed to say no interest in the boss 302 here...p

I have to agree on pretty much all of that. LOL

:agree:

cdynaco 10/5/10 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach (Post 5957282)
Are you still upset over my Bullitt comment months ago?

So like, are you confessing your SMQ blasphemy? http://www.imboc.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

mjbarnet 10/5/10 08:59 PM

...went to the auto show this year sat in the mustang/camaro/challenger, where the camaro interior sucked, the mustang was perfect, and the challenger was very nice...lookswise hated the camaro front and rear- side profile looks ok till you get close, the windows are too short/beltline toohigh, the challenger looks great, but it is freakin huge, the mustang looks good, but the rearend just dont work for me...

havent driven a challenger yet(nor a 5.0- but have read bottom end torque on the 5.0 was even down a bit from the 4.6, price you pay for cams that will take it to 7500 I guess) but guessing a srt8 would feel pretty good off the track...two strikes against the challenger are mopars notariety for quality issues and priced too high...car-wise I'd love it except for those two reasons...p

:agree:
Wow, pretty much sums up what I have been thinking for last two years...

Tony Alonso 10/5/10 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957311)
Well there is NOTHING to say about the Boss. Ford has done a poor job with getting out any info. Do they expect people to order one without having any knowledge about the car?
What about the mythical "red key"??? Isn't it about time they revealed this big secret? We are closing in on nearly 2 months since they announced they were bringing back the Boss and they haven't released any more info. This forum has almost died due to the lack of new info. The internet provides free product promotion and Ford isn't taking full advantage of it.

Not sure why this is considered a poor job, especially since this is quite similar to every major Mustang feature car that has been released in the last 10 years.

The '01 Bullitt had wee little information about it, and people bought them with limited test drive impressions in the car enthusiast magazines.

Since you have driven an '11 GT500, you probably have more of a feel of what the Boss might perform like than those who haven't done that. Of course, I believe the driving dynamics would be different because of the weight balance front-to-rear, the shock tuning (changing settings on the Boss will be fun), and electronic steering tuning.

In your other post, you mentioned

"I'd like to see some real driving footage,. Some in car stuff, some driver reviews."

Yeah, that would be cool. I assume that would not happen until cars are near their production configurations, which I surmise would be within the next 1-2 months, given what people have posted here about the 2012 ordering times.

"Basically anyone who orders one of these is going in almost completely cold. We will not be getting to test drive it."

That seems to be the way on many feature car Mustangs. I drove the '03 Mach 1 off the lot from the dealer when it first came out, and that was my test drive! These days, there is a 412hp 5.0 Mustang on the entry-level end and a 550hp 5.4 Mustang on the top end to at least compare. The '01 Cobra of the time wasn't quite as comparable to the Mach, and there wasn't really anything for the '01 Bullitt to be compared to then.

"I'd like to know if there are any options or if this car is really stripped down. Manual seats??? Really???"

Well, according to all the press release materials, the options are limited on the standard and LS Boss. The interior pictures let people see there is no Sync, no heated seats, no navigation. The exterior pretty clearly shows there is no glass roof. So, other than the manual seats (if they were to be that), what other content information is relevant in your comparison to a Challenger?

By the way, if I was doing any cross-shopping of a Boss Mustang, it would be with a GT500. The Challenger and Camaro, while in a similar class to the Mustang, seem much different to me in terms of styling and handling dynamics, especially since the Boss is supposed to be a "tighter tuned" handling vehicle with a higher redline.

stangfoeva 10/5/10 10:01 PM

if I had to choose between the boss 302 and challenger, gotta admit I'd chose the mopar...

This is where I stopped reading. To each his own...

:doh:

Overboost 10/5/10 10:04 PM

Boss 302 > Challenger R/T ALL DAY LONG.

Guy at work has one (ordered a 2011 GT and got hosed by the dealer), and he's kicking himself that he didn't wait. They're nice, but not on the same level as the GT, and not anywhere close to the Boss.

Flagstang 10/6/10 05:44 AM

think he was talking about the srt8

LagunaBeach 10/6/10 05:48 AM

The reason there are no videos/driver reviews is because they are still fine tuning the car. Would it be better to put an unfinished product into the hands of some journalist who may already be biased?

Whammer 10/6/10 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach (Post 5957460)
The reason there are no videos/driver reviews is because they are still fine tuning the car. Would it be better to put an unfinished product into the hands of some journalist who may already be biased?

And you know this how? What fine tuning are they doing?

WeinerDog 10/6/10 06:57 AM

I absolutely love the looks of the Challenger SRT-8. I think I could give up the opportunity for bench-racing bragging rights and just enjoy the thing. It appears to be as close to "old-school" muscle as you can get. I'm sure I'd miss the GT's handling in the twisties, but around town the Chally would be about perfect.

But the price...

Tony Alonso 10/6/10 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957477)
And you know this how? What fine tuning are they doing?

If you've had an opportunity to talk to Ford engineers, you would likely hear them describe that they work on various elements of the special parts until several weeks before the final configuration is set. With the Boss, if I had to guess, there might be work going on in the engine calibration area. There could be other small details we don't know about because along with this car, the 2012 Mustangs will be around the corner too. There might be detail changes to address what 2011 Mustang owners are seeing going into the 2012s.

In terms of road impressions and test drives, that, as you most likely know, is timed to when magazine print cycles occur, which is also influenced by when the most production-ready versions of these cars have been built.

While it's seemingly "no news" to enthusiastic potential buyers like us, I expect there are LOTS of things going on to produce this automobile in a fashion that will lead to salivation before, during, and after a purchase.

PS - My understanding comes from attending Mustang Alley at the Woodward Dream Cruise, along with people who have worked on past Mustangs and other Ford vehicle programs that I know from IMBOC and the Mach 1 Registry.

Overboost 10/6/10 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 5957458)
think he was talking about the srt8

Either way, the 302 > SRT-8/R/T

You've gotta look at the big picture. Totally different purposes. With the SRT8 barely having a power advantage on paper to the GT, why spend the extra money on it? The Boss will be priced competitively, and won't be Shelby money (at sticker). Seems like the performance aspect of it goes back to the 302.

Automagically 10/6/10 08:26 AM

I'm still with the guys that are of the same idea that the Challenger is much more "Muscle Car" than pony. It's big, heavy and has a great big block(SRT8) push-rod engine. It has a pretty minimal interior, comfy seats, good cruising manners and when you flog the throttle it has that burst of energy you'd expect from a "Muscle Car." The BOSS is still certianly a pony. Smaller, more agile, tight interior, overall performance in all categories except possibly that massive low end torque and interior space. To me there has been only one real pony car from the 60's and that was the Mustang. The Camaro has always tried to be pony sized but it's more muscle car than pony. The Challenger is another example of more muscle than pony. I still think this today even. It's obvious that the Challenger wanted to retain that muscle car legacy, the Camaro wanted to maintain that "please everyone" appeal and the Mustang remained a Mustang, only a better one.
The Challenger did pull off the daily driver appeal and incredible design fluidity. There shouldn't be any argument that the Challenger doesn't bring the sex. Though possibly more mullet like sex at times but none the less the overall vehicle came off a super success. And when has Dodge/Chrylser known how to do an interior justice?? Never in my eyes. But they hit on the proper cues.
Anyway, after seeing a Boss, I want one badly, but I still hate that grille. I can't wait to see how they drive if I ever get the chance to drive one. The Boss certainly isn't for everyone buy design and looks. So to me a Boss is for the truly loyal Mustang enthusiast. One that will judge it only to other Mustangs and how greatly it will stack up in the grand scheme of Mustang history.

Aaaand I lost my train of thought...

LQQK 10/6/10 09:28 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the Challenge would be offered with the V-10, if it is, then that would definitely be a Muscle Car.

LQQK

Overboost 10/6/10 09:51 AM

The drag-pak Challenger has the Viper V10. It also costs $80k+

Boomer 10/6/10 10:08 AM

You want show, get the Challenger...
You want show and GO... get the BOSS

And seriously..they just literally showed the car not 2 months ago....and you expect EVERYTHING revealed?
Ford shows off a car at the autoshow and you get about the same ammount of detail (sometimes less) and you aren't able to get more info until almost a year later before it goes on sale....

Wow over anxious...settle down.
"they didn't tell me more so I bought another car" is just silly
Really that impatient? :jester:
I guess the next complaint is how we haven't heard anything on the 2015 yet :P

Whammer 10/6/10 11:10 AM

Boomer,

I'm not over anxious, I WANT info to make an INFORMED purchase. The order banks for this car will open in a little over a month, so don't you think you'd like some time to consider everything? In Canada this car is likely going to be 45-50k, if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want some info.

With a limited number of cars available I doubt many dealers are going to let you take your sweet time deciding if you want to order or not. I think it's a little unfair to put consumers under that type of pressure.

I took a Challenger R/T Classic (6 speed) out for a test drive today and I really liked it. It's not as quick as the 5.0 but it sounds awesome. It has a much deeper and tougher sounding exhaust sound. After this test drive I took a 5.0 out for a spin to try and get a back-to-back feel. I'm not sure that cleared anything up for me. The 5.0 felt quicker but I noticed I had to push it into higher rpm's to get the most feel. The Challenger felt like pure muscle in the lower rpm range- but I will say that I think the car is akin to a dog that is all bark and no bite. While that sounds like a knock, I don't intend it to be. I just know that the 5.0 on the street would pull away from this car so the Challenger doesn't have the bite the 5.0 would have.

Getting inside the 5.0 after being in the Challenger was a big change. The 5.0 felt quite small. I didn't feel cramped but the cabin is much smaller.

Ride comfort wise the Challenger has it all over the 5.0. The 5.0 is much improved over the 05-09 models and felt good going over bumps and railway tracks but the Challenger was just that much better.

stangfoeva 10/6/10 12:20 PM

Whammer, you really need to decide what you want. Do you want a faster, more agile, race ready coupe? Or do you want a comfy boulevard cruiser?

Obviously the chally will be more comfortable. It weighs more, its bigger, and its not a sports car. The mustang on the other hand is meant to handle better, thus has a stiffer suspension and is a lot smaller.

Its an apples to oranges comparison. Without question a BOSS will lay waste to ANY challenger on a road course, but if you're not looking for that kind of performance anyway why get it? If you just wanna cruise around town and don't mind not having the "fastest" car out there then get the chally

In my case it was an easy decision. The mustang looked the best to me, had the best performance, and its very comfortable in IMO

Glenn 10/6/10 01:18 PM

if I had my choice of challengers I would chose a 71 that has been restored to the 10's. 340 with the ol pistol grip with some upgrades.

68DARKHORSE 10/6/10 08:25 PM

My goal was to wait til Dec(since May) for my 2011 GT. Now that the Boss is coming, I can wait a little longer.

Tony Alonso 10/6/10 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5957618)
Whammer, you really need to decide what you want. Do you want a faster, more agile, race ready coupe? Or do you want a comfy boulevard cruiser?

That is precisely why I personally would have a hard time trying to look at a Challenger vs. a Boss Mustang. The driving dynamics are going to be geared toward different experiences.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva (Post 5957618)
In my case it was an easy decision. The mustang looked the best to me, had the best performance, and its very comfortable in IMO

On the basis of the published specifications, the driving feel of the 2010 GT I have now, and my past high performance driving experiences in local autocrosses, I would easily choose the Boss, even without a final drive. Mainly because it is unlikely that I would ever take a test drive of a Boss Mustang to the limit that I would on a closed course. Of course, if I enjoyed getting a ticket and getting thrown in jail after taking that kind of test drive on the street, I might have a better feel for it then :)

Whammer, I am not sure of your decision criteria, but I think what stangfoeva is pointing out makes sense. You already own a car with a lot of power, so there is some other thing that is important, unless you just want something different and newer.

Tony Alonso 10/6/10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5957594)
Boomer,

I'm not over anxious, I WANT info to make an INFORMED purchase. The order banks for this car will open in a little over a month, so don't you think you'd like some time to consider everything? In Canada this car is likely going to be 45-50k, if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want some info.

Other than driving or having someone else provide their driving impressions, what else is there to consider in terms of specifications?

With a limited number of cars available I doubt many dealers are going to let you take your sweet time deciding if you want to order or not. I think it's a little unfair to put consumers under that type of pressure.

I think this is self-imposed pressure.

I took a Challenger R/T Classic (6 speed) out for a test drive today and I really liked it. It's not as quick as the 5.0 but it sounds awesome. It has a much deeper and tougher sounding exhaust sound.

Yes, they do sound good to me as well.

After this test drive I took a 5.0 out for a spin to try and get a back-to-back feel. I'm not sure that cleared anything up for me. The 5.0 felt quicker but I noticed I had to push it into higher rpm's to get the most feel.

It is beneficial you got to experience this because it is probably going to be even more so with the Boss, especially if it is making max power at 500RPM higher than the GT's 5.0L engine. What gears were in the one you drove?

The Challenger felt like pure muscle in the lower rpm range- but I will say that I think the car is akin to a dog that is all bark and no bite. While that sounds like a knock, I don't intend it to be. I just know that the 5.0 on the street would pull away from this car so the Challenger doesn't have the bite the 5.0 would have.

Weight is the enemy of acceleration! However, as one of the aftermarket company people I know says "You talk horsepower but you drive torque".

Getting inside the 5.0 after being in the Challenger was a big change. The 5.0 felt quite small. I didn't feel cramped but the cabin is much smaller.

Ride comfort wise the Challenger has it all over the 5.0. The 5.0 is much improved over the 05-09 models and felt good going over bumps and railway tracks but the Challenger was just that much better.

The benefits of a larger sedan chassis as compared to the Mustang's smaller one. You got to love those legacy Mercedes-Benz chassis cars :)

R3troGT 10/7/10 03:45 AM

2 years ago around this time I had the itch to get something new as well. At the time I had an 06 Mustang GT which had just about every mod that one can do to a stang. I really liked the Challenger which had just come out that summer but I waited for Ford to introduce the 10 Mustang to see what was new. After the introduction show on Speed and then all the info available online I was not blown away with the changes. I really wanted a GT500 then but the price was to high for me. So I went to test drive the 2009 Challenger R/T and bought one in Dec 08. I had exhaust work done, the Eibach Pro kit installed, CAI, tuner and a few other things. The car was great to drive and got attention everywhere I went. The power of the car was very good and it sounded and drove like a Muscle Car.

But this summer Ford Canada had their Employee Pricing promotion which included the 2010 GT500's and I was finally able to get one. While I really enjoyed the Challenger I am a Ford guy and the GT500 is just so much more car. However it is also an different car and can not really be compared to the Challenger.

If you are into modding cars then be aware that it is hard to get parts for the Challenger in Canada and getting a custom dyno tune for decent money is almost impossible.

In the end you are the only one that knows what will make you happy.

Here is what my Challenger looked like ;)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...1%202010/8.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...1%202010/7.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...1%202010/9.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...1%202010/2.jpg

Whammer 10/7/10 05:41 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Until the Boss was announced I was perfectly happy with me GT500. I suppose it's kind of liking breaking up with someone....you don't focus in on their positives you focus in on their negatives, it makes breaking up easier to do. So as I contemplated the Boss I looked at the negatives of my car.

During this 2 month long process I also found myself really analyzing my driving habits and how I use my car. I don't drag it or track it and the Boss is certainly going to be amazing on the track but who's going to take a brand new 40k Boss and beat it around the track (and void their warranty)? I don't think I could. I really just cruise around town, open it up on some open stretches of road, and get out on the highway occasionally. This made me question my need for a Boss. Then I wondered if a 5.0 with more "toys" might be a better fit and once I went down that road I may as well look at what Dodge was offering (the Camaro does nothing for me).

I took several '11 GT500's out for a test drive and those cars really are very, very good. But the money is just too much.
Oh well, I'll just plug away and have fun deciding on what I want to do.

codeman94 10/7/10 05:50 AM

If I could afford it, I would rather have the badest fastest car and under use it than settle for something that fits my driving style... especially if both cars I'm an considering are in the same class...

example..I've recently been thinking about purchasing a hand gun. I'm 99% likely to never have use it for protection, but if i get one I'm going to get a big one...just so if the time ever comes, i will have the equipment necessary.

All guns shoot bullets, but some guns shoot bigger bullets. Just like all cars go "fast"... some cars just go faster.

Barricade 10/7/10 05:54 AM

Any pix of this fusia Challenger??

R3troGT 10/7/10 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Barricade (Post 5958029)

Here is one I took with my iPhone. This was a brand new car on a dealers lot. The white interior seats where already very dirty on the drivers side.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...Challenger.jpg

Whammer 10/7/10 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barricade (Post 5958029)

I've ditched the idea of the fuchsia. At first look it's kinda cool and certainly stands out but I think it would get old quick. And those white seats would show everything.

Barricade 10/7/10 06:31 AM

THE PURPLE!!!!! now thats freeeking sweet!!

When I was a kid my sisters boyfriend use to pick her up in a Roadrunner that was that color.

Whammer 10/7/10 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by R3troGT (Post 5958035)
Here is one I took with my iPhone. This was a brand new car on a dealers lot. The white interior seats where already very dirty on the drivers side.

What dealership was that at? And is that Plum Crazy an SRT8?

R3troGT 10/7/10 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958040)
What dealership was that at? And is that Plum Crazy an SRT8?

Islington Chrysler on Dundas near the 427. This was a few weeks ago. They also had a SRT in that colour in the showroom. The one next to it was an SRT8 :jester:
I live 5 minutes from there and can try and see if they still have them.
Erin Dodge also has a Plum Crazy Challenger in Stock. They have had that car since early March. I looked at it once, to trade my R/T, but they wanted full sticker for it and offered me crap for mine.

R3troGT 10/7/10 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958037)
I've ditched the idea of the fuchsia. At first look it's kinda cool and certainly stands out but I think it would get old quick. And those white seats would show everything.

I saw one on the road today and it really did not garner the attention other colours do. 10 minutes later I saw a Hemi Orange SRT and it stood out huge.

Whammer 10/7/10 06:14 PM

R3troGT,

Thanks for the offer, I called Islington Chrysler and they only have autos. I'll check Erin Dodge.

R3troGT 10/7/10 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958360)
R3troGT,

Thanks for the offer, I called Islington Chrysler and they only have autos. I'll check Erin Dodge.

The one I looked at at Erin was an auto as well. Try Ontario Chrysler as well, that is where I got mine, they usally have a lot of stock.

Boomer 10/8/10 01:50 PM

Centenial Dodge in Barrie has a crapload of em.

I went a while back (before the pink was released) and they had at least 2 in every colour.

I'd totally rock the Plum Crazy :)
Pink not so much.
I've seen 2 of them so far on the road.

Whammer 10/8/10 03:13 PM

This Mopar 10 has also caught my eye.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/20...llenger-xl.jpg

20115.0 10/8/10 03:49 PM

if i ever got a challenger first mod would have to be lowering springs. the guy that works nextdoor to me just bought one and i noticed the tire/fender gap is huge!!! it is about the same as my F-150s. ill see if i can get pictures

Whammer 10/8/10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 20115.0 (Post 5958823)
if i ever got a challenger first mod would have to be lowering springs. the guy that works nextdoor to me just bought one and i noticed the tire/fender gap is huge!!! it is about the same as my F-150s. ill see if i can get pictures

What tire size? I'm thinking the 20" tires probably fill the gap better.

wannabe 10/8/10 04:23 PM

I drove both the Challenger and Charger. I actually liked the Challenger... until I realized that even the loaded up $40K+ model didn't have a power seat. That's just crazy. And that one little thing was enough to quit even thinking about it. I guess that's petty... but there it is.:dunno:

20115.0 10/8/10 04:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
17s!! lol

R3troGT 10/8/10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958829)
What tire size? I'm thinking the 20" tires probably fill the gap better.

My R/T came with 20's and still had a huge cab. As you can see in the pictures I posted it looks way better lowered.

R3troGT 10/8/10 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wannabe (Post 5958830)
I drove both the Challenger and Charger. I actually liked the Challenger... until I realized that even the loaded up $40K+ model didn't have a power seat. That's just crazy. And that one little thing was enough to quit even thinking about it. I guess that's petty... but there it is.:dunno:

That makes no sense. My R/T had a full 6 way power driveres seat. I can see the base SE not having one :dunno:

cdynaco 10/8/10 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958022)
Thanks for the comments guys.

Until the Boss was announced I was perfectly happy with me GT500. I suppose it's kind of liking breaking up with someone....you don't focus in on their positives you focus in on their negatives, it makes breaking up easier to do. So as I contemplated the Boss I looked at the negatives of my car.

During this 2 month long process I also found myself really analyzing my driving habits and how I use my car. I don't drag it or track it and the Boss is certainly going to be amazing on the track but who's going to take a brand new 40k Boss and beat it around the track (and void their warranty)? I don't think I could. I really just cruise around town, open it up on some open stretches of road, and get out on the highway occasionally. This made me question my need for a Boss. Then I wondered if a 5.0 with more "toys" might be a better fit and once I went down that road I may as well look at what Dodge was offering (the Camaro does nothing for me).

I took several '11 GT500's out for a test drive and those cars really are very, very good. But the money is just too much.
Oh well, I'll just plug away and have fun deciding on what I want to do.

Keep in mind Whammer, that you "bit the Bullitt, then spit the Bullitt" cause it wasn't enough. Then you got one of the most powerful by getting a GT500.
Remember that the 08 6.1L SRT8 was a toss up with the Bullitt (according to the mags) with the smaller Bullitt mostly neck and neck with that big pushrod Hemi (due to its obesity issues).
So I don't think you'd be happy with the R/T with its smaller engine. My hunch is you'd only be happy with the new 6.4L SRT8. And that will still be a power let down to your GT500.
Just a few thoughts for you to consider friend.

Whammer 10/8/10 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5958888)
Keep in mind Whammer, that you "bit the Bullitt, then spit the Bullitt" cause it wasn't enough. Then you got one of the most powerful by getting a GT500.
Remember that the 08 6.1L SRT8 was a toss up with the Bullitt (according to the mags) with the smaller Bullitt mostly neck and neck with that big pushrod Hemi (due to its obesity issues).
So I don't think you'd be happy with the R/T with its smaller engine. My hunch is you'd only be happy with the new 6.4L SRT8. And that will still be a power let down to your GT500.
Just a few thoughts for you to consider friend.

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking my time and test driving these cars to get a good sense of what they are and what I want and what I need.
The POWER factor might be a factor but I'm also becoming very aware that it's a losing battle of sorts. Every years sees improvements and increases.
I think the Bullitt was my first taste of that. All the little improvements that they gave the car then found their way the next year into a "track pack" for the GT.

It's fun doing the testing and looking but my gut says I should just stick with the GT500.

wannabe 10/9/10 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by R3troGT (Post 5958853)
That makes no sense. My R/T had a full 6 way power driveres seat. I can see the base SE not having one :dunno:

bad on me... passenger's seat. :doh:

20115.0 10/9/10 11:05 AM

i went to go test drive a challenge but they said we have to basically come to a deal before they will consider it cuz they dont want everyone coming just to test drive one.

R3troGT 10/9/10 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 20115.0 (Post 5959133)
i went to go test drive a challenge but they said we have to basically come to a deal before they will consider it cuz they dont want everyone coming just to test drive one.

Tell them to get lost. These cars have been around for a while now. When I went to the dealer in Dec 08 they where just coming out and they gave me the keys to 2 off them, one auto one stick. I had never dealt with them in the past, so they did not know me from Adam.

Try another dealer.

20115.0 10/9/10 11:16 AM

there arent many chrysler dealers around here lol closest one is like 30 min away and im not really considering buying one so whatever.

Whammer 10/9/10 01:10 PM

Well the chapter on the Challenger is now closed! I took another test drive in the same 6 speed RT I took out the other day. The Challenger is a nice looking retro car but it just cannot perform. I did a few quick back and forths of the steering wheel at highway speed and that car floats all over the road. My GT500 holds the road quite tightly in comparison.

The weight of these cars really holds them back when accelerating from a stop, and the redline is at 6k which comes up pretty quickly so the shifts just seem far too soon at that too hurts your acceleration.

We'd been out about 30 mins. when I found a big wide open industrial parking lot that was empty since it was Sat. I wasn't hard on the car I just wanted some open space to feel the 1-2 shift and feel the thrust when stepping on the gas in 2nd. I made a few circuits of the parking lot and was in 2nd and slowed down to turn the car around and then suddenly it just died on me!

I put the car in N and turned the key and....nothing. It barely even wanted to turn over. My wife and I just looked at each other. She didn't bring her cell phone I left mine in my car back at the dealership. I tried to start it a couple of more times and it would just weakly turn over. I let it sit for about 30sec. and tried again, slowly it turned over and I could feel it getting a bit stronger and then it started up. Whew! Well that was the end of our test drive, we both couldn't get back to the dealership fast enough. My wife hated every minute in the car, she just felt it seemed cheap in every way.

The salesman greets us upon our return and asks us how it went? I said it's a nice car but it's just no Shelby. I thanked him for his time and off we went.

stangfoeva 10/9/10 01:20 PM

:rofl2: it died!

20115.0 10/9/10 06:50 PM

lmao **** chryslers :D

Black GT500 10/10/10 12:47 AM

My gut says you should just stick with the GT500 too.

:cool:

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958906)

It's fun doing the testing and looking but my gut says I should just stick with the GT500.

Rather B.Blown 10/10/10 01:45 AM

Hey Whammer, if you really want a Challenger that stands out and is blistering fast, I know where one is.

How about a 700hp/700lb/ft SMS 570X in Molly Pop Pink? :jester: I'm told its 1 of 1.

My pics don't do the color justice. It practically glows, has it's own aura of sorts.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...20pics/003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...20pics/001.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...20pics/011.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...pics/013-1.jpg

Of course, the price might give you a heart attack. :rofl2: The Molly Pop Pink paint alone is $18,000. http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ileys/rofl.gif

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...pics/014-1.jpg

stangfoeva 10/10/10 02:34 AM

:puke:

sharpie 10/10/10 09:48 AM

Are they F'ing kidding.................$118K for a Challenger???

20115.0 10/10/10 10:44 AM

i saw a 570X driving around my area twice. Similar to race red paint, the thing sounds beastly but if were getting a chrysler in that price range i would much rather get this :D

http://apps.detnews.com/pix/autos/sn...eviper0528.jpg

Whammer 10/11/10 02:25 PM

A little laugh today....I'm out in my Shelby and I'm stopped at a red light....a tow truck goes through the intersection and it's towing a Challenger! I couldn't help but laugh.

incomingRPG 10/11/10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 5958906)
... but my gut says I should just stick with the GT500.

:agree:;)