Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

How many miles did you get on your Pirellis?

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/11, 08:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
In our area, their are a lot of BMW (mostly M3) enthusiasts (aka "track addicts") with a lot of track experience. These guys as a group are swearing by the Yokohama AD08. As the BMW is a heavy car like the Boss, I am pretty convinced based on their experiences and recommendations to give the AD08's a try. Like most other tires, it is hard to find a 27" (OEM) diameter size, in either an 18" or 19" wheel. As such, I will use a 26" diameter in a 295 in the rear and a 255 at the front.
The AD08's are on my radar screen too but probably not for my first set of track tires. I'll most likely be buying a pair of Hankook V12's but for the track and keep my Pirelli's for the street. Although I'm having second thoughts on that and may just burn up the Pirelli's on the track (after I thrashed them this past weekend).

Another option is the NT05's but they are available in 245/40/19 and 275/35/19. So 10mm narrower than the stock tires but similar in height. Anyone have an opinion about the V12's in stock size vs. the NT05's in a slightly narrower size? Would the NT05's, although narrower, work better on the track? The Falken FK 452's are another reasonably priced option available in the original size.
Old 10/1/11, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by StillIntense
The Pirelli P-Zeros front tires on my Boss are dead after 1500 miles. Failed road force test last night at the dealership. They have been on the street only and I've never seen tires fail this way before.
So what happens now?
Did your dealer warranty the tires?
Are you replacing the Pirelli's with another brand, or another set of Pirelli's?
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 10/2/11, 12:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

For those individuals that still want to drive to the track and back after a day of fun, there's the Michelin pilot sport 2 that Miller Motorsports run on their cars. This tire wins all the tests that the tire rack has conducted.
Old 10/2/11, 02:27 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had 3 sets over the years

Old 10/2/11, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

My fronts look like they will last over 10k but my rears are at 4/32" with 2612 on the odo...I guess Jon Lunds promo burnout at Evolution combined with almost 800 rwhp might have had an effect on the wear!!! LOL
Old 10/3/11, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

jouster, the dealership is still mulling it over. Their answer needs to be: "we just ordered two new front Pirelli's for your car." Ford Customer Service is involved, I hope to have an answer today/tomorrow.
Old 10/3/11, 09:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I have 46,600 miles on my car daily driven. But, I have a set of Michelin X-Ice tires I put on from about October-November through march but my Pirellis were on the rest of the time. I have had them since day one March 2007. They were just bout needing replacements in the spring, but due to my median run in, I did it last week!
Old 10/3/11, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
The Corsas are the VERY worst tires I've ever had on a car in a long, long, time. Like Cloud 9 maybe 2-3 track days MAX. The first day will be pure bliss, and the tires work very well on the car. After that, they will literally start delaminating and coming apart. I will post some pictures soon. Never, EVER would recommend these tires. Borderline un-safe.... kinda surprised that Ford would go with this "junk" of a tire. (Can you tell I don't like them?)

Again, first day out you will love them. Be very, very careful after that. My experience is across 3 different LS's with 3 different skill set drivers. All the tires (front and back) literally started falling apart the same way. Very dangerous. Very un-safe. Pictures soon.
I took my wheels off this weekend to change out to the stock pads and rotors so I checked out my Corsas. Yikes! Although I haven't run them in my 2nd track event yet, I can see where the center has already started to chunk out.

Old 10/3/11, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I have seen the same things as the other guys that posted here. I have the Laguna Seca that comes with the Corsas. My tires came apart as well. I think there might be an issue here with them...
Old 10/3/11, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
I took my wheels off this weekend to change out to the stock pads and rotors so I checked out my Corsas. Yikes! Although I haven't run them in my 2nd track event yet, I can see where the center has already started to chunk out.

That's it! You were lucky to have checked it before you went for an off road adventure.
Old 10/3/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! That's incredible (the pics). I ran my Corsas Memorial Day weekend at VIR and my tires don't look anything like that!

I ordered mine from the Tirerack and had them heat cycled prior to shipment. I wonder much of a difference that made?
Old 10/3/11, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Dean,
That's what you and Bill get for lapping me at MPH!
Guess its time for you to buy some new tires.
And another reason for me to have a trailer.
Old 10/3/11, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
Wow! That's incredible (the pics). I ran my Corsas Memorial Day weekend at VIR and my tires don't look anything like that!

I ordered mine from the Tirerack and had them heat cycled prior to shipment. I wonder much of a difference that made?
I had over 3000 miles on the tires before I tracked them so I would think they would be good to go.

It wasn't like it was 100° so I shouldn't have blistered them.
Old 10/3/11, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
I had over 3000 miles on the tires before I tracked them so I would think they would be good to go.

It wasn't like it was 100° so I shouldn't have blistered them.
Shoot I didn't think you'd get more than 2,000 miles out of them, really.
Old 10/3/11, 08:05 PM
GT Member

jouster, the dealership is still mulling it over. Their answer needs to be: "we just ordered two new front Pirelli's for your car." Ford Customer Service is involved, I hope to have an answer today/tomorrow.
Roger that!
I'd be interested in their final resolution if you care to share.
I'm not out looking for warranty, But I am struggling with the issue of how safe these Pirelli's are as a Street Tire? Last week I spent 3 20 minute scessions on the track at an Advanced Driving course, and the Pirelli's looked pretty ugly afterwards! My take is their compound is very soft rubber that sticks like glue to the road when warmed up, but they have no life span on the Track, and may not be as safe afterwards either.
Your mileage may vary,....
Cheers,
Jouster
Old 10/4/11, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's the answer: got Ford Customer Service involved, and the dealership is replacing the two front tires under warranty. I'm happy with that, and the correct thing for them to do. For those just tuning in: front tire shake that felt like wheel(s) out of balance turned out to be a tire problem (with both!). Both failed the road force test, but we don't know if it's broken belts or not. Only 1500 miles on the Pirellis, none on track.
Old 10/5/11, 07:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
jouster, the dealership is still mulling it over. Ford Customer Service is involved, I hope to have an answer today/tomorrow.
Here's the answer: got Ford Customer Service involved, and the dealership is replacing the two front tires under warranty. I'm happy with that, and the correct thing for them to do.
Glad to hear everything worked out for the best, StillIntense. Now you can continue to enjoy your ride!

Deysha
Old 10/5/11, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SD GT
Dean,
And another reason for me to have a trailer.
Bidding on an enclosed trailer on ebay right now. May have a very nice two year old one for sale and it's close by
Old 10/5/11, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cloud9
Bidding on an enclosed trailer on ebay right now. May have a very nice two year old one for sale and it's close by
Looks like you have a buyer for your current trailer.
Old 10/5/11, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received the new Boss front Pirelli's at the dealership yesterday, and of course they ordered the wrong ones even after writing down all of the tire information (including the DOT codes). Geez, what a bunch of DAs. New tires should be in tomorrow (Thursday). The Service Advisor couldn't find the Boss on the Ford website for their parts ordering. As I was watching him, I could see why: he was in the 2011 model year!

Quick Reply: How many miles did you get on your Pirellis?