Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/12, 03:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?

These look painted on, but I assume they are all decals..
Has anyone removed them, and if so how much of a pain is it?
Last time I removed decals off a factory car I spent a day removing decal and two days removing the glue...
Another thing..
I want a black boss. Isn't that kinda nuts that I am forced to order a LS just to get a 13 boss in black?

I pretty much got everything mapped out in my head... Once I take delivery of the car Ill start me a mod thread.. or unless I just keep everything in this thread would be ok too.
First mod will be removing the factory stripes and then adding window tint.

This is gonna be SO much fun! BTW... I had a ZL1 on order that is already built I am not taking delivery of... I decided to cross over....
So yall guys take care of me over here ok?
HA!
Old 3/26/12, 03:52 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Good choice. Glad to hear you are removing those stripes. Can't wait to see what you do to it.
Old 3/26/12, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Good choice. Glad to hear you are removing those stripes. Can't wait to see what you do to it.
Yea, Ive thought long and hard on it the last few days and originally I did not want a black car... Too many of them BUT.......
I started considering a few things that help me decide on the black.
1. My only other real choice was gonna be race red with black boss factory stripes....
But I got to really thinking about it.. Race Red would attract cops and the teen agers.. I am 48 and have had all of that in my lifetime that I could want... So I am not trying to grab attention like in that way...
2. I have in the last year wanted a black GT 5.o with grabber blue stripes....
Well, it would be up to me to add the stripes of course.
3. The GT500 is probably going to be close to being out of my reach...and if I did have a GT500 I would not do anything to it at all as far as mods...
4. The boss gives me the best of both worlds...It will be super fast bone stock and bridges the gap between the GT 5.0 and the Shelby GT500...
and I can still tinker with it and do mods... Between the two if I do not get the shelby I can save my self about $15,000 in the long run..
So I will have money over the course of time to add a super charger and tune.
5. Back to step 1. I am going to consider a black LS and add the Grabber Blue "Super Snake" stripe over the roof, and the hood.
6. Detail minor things in grabber blue such as mirrors, and add a grabber blue stripe to the rocker. Since the car will have the LS rear spoiler I am going to leave the stripe off the deck lid and paint the top of the spoiler in Grabber blue... Everything on the car will pretty much remain the same....except for maybe the recaros.. I may see if there is someone on this forum when the time comes to swap the recaros for a set of the Unique Cloth Seats (BOSS). I plan on blocking off the qtr windows with the shelby american qtr window block outs with the rivets...
Probably no side scoops as IMHO too expensive and really don't do a whole lot for me... and a shelby upper and lower grill (No cobra badges)..... the fascia can remain stock with the brake ducts... I don't really want to trade out body parts on this project that way if the car is ever turned back into original other than the painted stripes and mirrors it can be rather easily.
Old 3/26/12, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by osso12
Everything on the car will pretty much remain the same....except for maybe the recaros.. I may see if there is someone on this forum when the time comes to swap the recaros for a set of the Unique Cloth Seats (BOSS)..
DIBS!!
Old 3/26/12, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just get a GT and build it up from there? What are the"unique cloth seats" Do you mean the base seats in the regular Boss?
Old 3/26/12, 07:10 AM
RTD
GT Member

Another thing..
I want a black boss. Isn't that kinda nuts that I am forced to order a LS just to get a 13 boss in black?
It's ridiculous. They should have just offered the Boss in all of the regular Mustang colors, made the striping on the fender/door standard and made the over the top striping like a $500 option or something. The striping on the 2012 Laguna Secas was completely hideous, the 2013's are better. But yeah, I would love to get a 2013 regular Boss in Black.
Old 3/26/12, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
DIBS!!
Awesome. I just sent an email to see if the dealer can overide the seats and the stripes all together.

Originally Posted by orng302
Why not just get a GT and build it up from there? What are the"unique cloth seats" Do you mean the base seats in the regular Boss?
1. Its not the same engine as the GT. One is the coyote, and one is the road runner. Not the same thing. Yes, the base seats in the regular Boss.

Originally Posted by RTD
It's ridiculous. They should have just offered the Boss in all of the regular Mustang colors, made the striping on the fender/door standard and made the over the top striping like a $500 option or something. The striping on the 2012 Laguna Secas was completely hideous, the 2013's are better. But yeah, I would love to get a 2013 regular Boss in Black.
I like it like it as it is in black with silver stripes, but Like GM pickings are slim. Not sure why they do it that way as they could make more money for charging for a stripe package.

As far as colors, thats really crazy. The only two colors you can get for the 13 Laguna Seca is SBY and Black. So if you want a black boss, or a base boss in black for example, you are forced to get the LS.
Good thing I don't need back seats!

Last edited by osso12; 3/26/12 at 02:01 PM.
Old 3/26/12, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

It is the same engine. The difference is the forged internals and cnc ported heads. And removing the recaro's to get the standard Boss seats also removes the torsen differential. Which you can't do on an LS either.
Old 3/26/12, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Too funny... Check this out....
My FORD buddy was laughing at me when he found out that I wanted a stang... ( I am a die hard GM fan root wise ) So he came inside saying that I was researching a "pinto"...... Him just being jealous......
Anyway... I got to laughing with him and more and more I keep telling him...
Yea, im gonna buy a "pinto" and fix er up.
So "pinto" as you can see has been tossed back and forth quite a bit.
I was teasing my GF in a text message and told her I was gonna nick name
the new boss "Pinto" ....she said "YUUUUUUUUUKKKKK"

Check it out.... The meaning of the Ford Pinto was derived from the "Pinto" Horse.... as it has large patches of white or any other color......
My reaction? Perfect! My car is not going to be color matched as it was intended to be! HA!

Thus.... "Pinto" will be by new "Boss."
I had named my 88 LX Notch back "Boss" back in 08 or so... and everyone on this section has a car named "Boss" so I think I will have a unique nick name.. I name all my cars, bikes.......lots of fun....
This one will be christened....."Pinto" HA!
Old 3/26/12, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
The difference is the forged internals and cnc ported heads.
This^.
Same BASE engine.. YES....but not the same thing/ end result.
Coyote/Road Runner.

ditto on the seats.

Last edited by osso12; 3/26/12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 3/26/12, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got off the phone with my sales person.
They said we can order a 13 boss now.
They are going to speak with the inventory control manager to see if a black 13 boss can be ordered without the laguna seca package.
Old 3/26/12, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
It is the same engine. The difference is the forged internals and cnc ported heads. And removing the recaro's to get the standard Boss seats also removes the torsen differential. Which you can't do on an LS either.
This^.
Same BASE engine.. YES....but not the same thing/ end result.
Coyote/Road Runner.

ditto on the seats.
FWIW for those wanting to know the differences in the engine area (BOSS VS GT) alone:

Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
CNC’d Heads
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Old 3/26/12, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Reference the above discussions on colors/options. I'd say a lot of it is marketing. Someone gets paid big bucks to figure out how to offer cars, option packages, etc, to maximize sales. The LS is unique, and in limited quantities. Specific Boss colors--adds to the marketing ability.
We all have reasons for buying a Boss. I bought it for the track. Race Red is a touch more orange tint than I'd like, but its whats available, so I'm happy with it. If I could have found a black LS for MSRP during the week I was Boss shopping, I would have bought it in a heart beat. But I wasn't willing to wait and keep calling 40+ dealers across the country to talk them down.
So its marketing strategy, and happens with all kinds of products we buy.
Old 3/27/12, 01:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
But I wasn't willing to wait and keep calling 40+ dealers across the country to talk them down.
So its marketing strategy, and happens with all kinds of products we buy.
Understood on that one for sure.
Race Red will be fine with me if I do not do anything to the car at all...
But my one reason for buying a black boss is so I can tinker with with it.
Not that I can't tinker with a red one aesthetically or otherwise; I have the project built up in my head and it times past when I have done that I end up with a winner in the end.
I just dont see having to completely re paint ( in my case ) a car just to get one in black. That I won't do. You know how you fall in love with something when you get it and leave it just the way it was born from the factory. Thats fine with me too!
Old 3/27/12, 07:24 AM
V6 Member

The factory decals remove very easily...I didn't even have to heat them up. It took me about ten minutes to remove the side decals and the hood decal. (Replaced factory decals with matte black and used Oracal 970RA for the roof)
Attached Thumbnails has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?-boss302mb.jpg  
Old 3/27/12, 08:19 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Yea, im gonna buy a "pinto" and fix er up.
So "pinto" as you can see has been tossed back and forth quite a bit.
I was teasing my GF in a text message and told her I was gonna nick name
the new boss "Pinto" ....she said "YUUUUUUUUUKKKKK"

Check it out.... The meaning of the Ford Pinto was derived from the "Pinto" Horse.... Thus.... "Pinto" will be by new "Boss."
This one will be christened....."Pinto" HA!
i`d be honored if you`d call your car a pinto
Attached Thumbnails has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?-copy-dscn0457.jpg  
Old 3/27/12, 09:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike.B
The factory decals remove very easily...I didn't even have to heat them up. It took me about ten minutes to remove the side decals and the hood decal. (Replaced factory decals with matte black and used Oracal 970RA for the roof)
Same experience as Mike removing the stripes, I was shocked how easy and fast it was.

BTW, that is a better pic of the KB, looks outstanding
Old 3/27/12, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

How serious of a thought have you given to just getting a GT the way you want it? Or is the engine a must have for you?
Old 3/27/12, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by askjeffro
How serious of a thought have you given to just getting a GT the way you want it? Or is the engine a must have for you?
Yeah get a black track pack GT and add the Boss intake, Steeda CAI and a Brenspeed tune. Same power, handling and brakes for $5000 less and you get the color you want.
Steve
Old 3/27/12, 03:42 PM

Removed the stripes

2 weeks after getting the Boss, I removed the decals. Sides have almost no glue and come right off - 5 minutes for both sides. Hood is a heavier material and a bit of glue. Took 15 minutes with a hair dryer.

When I got the track key programmed, the Ford mechanic told me that a lot of guys have removed the stripes - for looks and to attract less attention. I noticed fewer people wanting to race, etc., and I think the car is less likely to be stolen.

Can always put the stripes back on for resale if needed. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?-boss-302.jpg  

Quick Reply: has anyone removed the factory BOSS stripes yet?