2012-2013 BOSS 302

GoPro Camera

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/12, 06:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GoPro Camera

Hey Guys.
Just picked up a HeroHD2 camera.Been reading through the manual using a magnafying glass(print way to small), just wondering if any of ya'll had one,your opinion on them and what settings you recomend.Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Old 1/17/12, 06:55 PM
GT Member

I have one but have only used it a few times on my motorcycle.

Very easy to use. I just used the suggested setting in the tiny manual for best resolution and was amazed at the quality from such a small package.

I need to get some mounts for the car now.

Enjoy.
Old 1/17/12, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love mine. Run it outside the car, and the iPhone on the dash. Great combo, I just need to find downtime to work on my 2 camera edits. LOL.
Old 1/17/12, 07:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockhauler53
Been reading through the manual using a magnafying glass(print way to small)
LOL, Know what you mean Steve.

I use the R3 setting 720P for the high def with the ability to go slow motion at 60FPS. R1 would be OK if you have a smaller SD card. The R5 setting would require a very large card. R4 would not look right on a wide screen TV or laptop.

The only other thing I set different from factory defult was "Choosing Exposure Setting" and use SPt (spot) since I film most vids from inside the car. It works fine on that setting when placed outside.
Old 1/17/12, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Love mine. Run it outside the car, and the iPhone on the dash. Great combo, I just need to find downtime to work on my 2 camera edits. LOL.
I tried using MY Hero, but too much darn noise on the outside,
Old 1/18/12, 12:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the HeroHD1 and love it. I run it on r5 the highest quality. I have a 8gb sd card and it is enough to hold about two sessions of track time. I then download it onto my laptop that I bring it to the track. I will probably get a 16gb so I don't have to mess with it. Just like Scott said if you run it inside the car there are certain settings to do so. Also there is a setting to rotate the picture 180deg. For example I run my camera most of the time by attaching it to the rear windshield hanging upside down. The setting allows the picture to appear normal even though the camera is upside down.

If the print is to small you can go to the GoPro website and print of an instruction that is in PDF format. That is what I did. MUCH easeir to read....

UnrealFord....do you have the correct backing plate on it? On is a solid piece and the other has an opening. You need to use the solid piece ecspecially if you run it outside.
Old 1/18/12, 02:40 AM
Cobra Member

i also have one of the original hd hero cams. i run it at the highest setting that doesn't do fish eye. i think it's 720p resolution, but that is plenty. be sure if you are windshield mounting it you turn on the option to flip the video upside down. you get a much better picture if you mount the camera handing upside down imho because the camera is easier to place on the windshield and you can get lower to the dash. also be sure to put the camera on the setting that allows it to focus and light meter to the environment outside, not inside your car. i believe it is center focus. if you don't turn that setting on you will end up with a dark outside environment and nice and clear and bright dash video lol

FWIW go pro has the manuals on its site in pdf and adobe will let you make text bigger.
Old 1/18/12, 04:43 AM
Cobra Member

I have an original hero and a hero 2 ( I want to pick up another one as well), and I plan on using them a LOT in Germany.

Last weekend I used mine to film some car vids and I'm putting the vids together now.

BTW this isn't Boss nor generation specific and needs to be in the general forum.

Last edited by Mustangfreak; 1/18/12 at 04:45 AM.
Old 1/18/12, 09:17 PM
V6 Member

Thanks guys for ya'lls input. It was a big help to me,especialy about the fisheye. New something was going on but couldn't put my finger on it.
Old 1/18/12, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Use an external microphone if that version supports one, the stock gopro mic is garbage
Old 1/19/12, 01:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by adam81
I have the HeroHD1 and love it. I run it on r5 the highest quality. I have a 8gb sd card and it is enough to hold about two sessions of track time. I then download it onto my laptop that I bring it to the track. I will probably get a 16gb so I don't have to mess with it. Just like Scott said if you run it inside the car there are certain settings to do so. Also there is a setting to rotate the picture 180deg. For example I run my camera most of the time by attaching it to the rear windshield hanging upside down. The setting allows the picture to appear normal even though the camera is upside down.

If the print is to small you can go to the GoPro website and print of an instruction that is in PDF format. That is what I did. MUCH easeir to read....

UnrealFord....do you have the correct backing plate on it? On is a solid piece

and the other has an opening. You need to use the solid piece ecspecially if

you run it outside.
Yes, I use the solid door, it's still so noisy it's not even enjoyable,I'll need more time with the camera and user manual.
Old 1/19/12, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a little video Mustangfreak put together from our time out messing around this weekend, shot using GoPro Hero2 and Canon T3i. Watch it on YouTube in HD for better viewing.

Old 1/19/12, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

if any of you plan on running the camera outside the car most, check out the contour line too, they are much simpler for outside the car recording since you need no housing.
Old 1/19/12, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used mine on my car. Really noisy but only did one run before storing the car. The mic brings in a lot of air noise which is unbearable
Old 1/19/12, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dbranham
I used mine on my car. Really noisy but only did one run before storing the car. The mic brings in a lot of air noise which is unbearable
outside the car you have to use the solid back, it still gets a lot of wind noise though.
Old 1/19/12, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the noise:

Hero1HD:

Use the open back, get a wind sock like this:
Amazon.com: Micover Stickover Windscreen for GoPro HD Motorsports Hero (On-Board): Electronics Amazon.com: Micover Stickover Windscreen for GoPro HD Motorsports Hero (On-Board): Electronics

Hero2HD:
Either the above, or use an external mic with a sock, place it somewhere not in a direct windpath (right behind the mirror or in the car is a great spot).

Last edited by CaptDistraction; 1/20/12 at 12:15 AM.
Old 1/19/12, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

outside the car you have to use the solid back, it still gets a lot of wind noise though.
The waterproof one is the solid one? Cause thats what I used and the noise is bad.
Old 1/31/12, 06:59 PM
V6 Member

I have differnt settings on the camera,and I am still getting the fisheye look. What am I doing wrong. any insight appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Old 2/1/12, 02:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rockhauler53
I have differnt settings on the camera,and I am still getting the fisheye look. What am I doing wrong. any insight appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
not sure if you have the old or the new camera, i use setting 5 for video on my old version and be sure to turn on center focus (or metering i forget what it is called now) so it sets itself to meter light and focus on what is outside the car, not your dash. i think 5 is 720p, i cant recall now if there is a wide angle 720p, at any rate don't use any wide angle settings, that is what gives you fisheye. also, you need to be sure the camera has the latest firmware.
Old 2/1/12, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
not sure if you have the old or the new camera, i use setting 5 for video on my old version and be sure to turn on center focus (or metering i forget what it is called now) so it sets itself to meter light and focus on what is outside the car, not your dash. i think 5 is 720p, i cant recall now if there is a wide angle 720p, at any rate don't use any wide angle settings, that is what gives you fisheye. also, you need to be sure the camera has the latest firmware.
5 is 1080@30fps

1080 doesn't have much fisheye, if your still on the stock setting of 4 (960) then yeah, you're going to have a lot of fisheye.

IIRC, 720 doesn't have much fisheye.

Quick Reply: GoPro Camera