Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Ford tests

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/11, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I hate to be a poor sport, but this whole M3 comparison thing just doesn't impress me. Yes the car is an amazing machine, with all its electronic gadgetry that allows it to be a fine tuned track rat, whereas the Boss is relatively basic. But the M3 does all of what the Boss does on the track, while being a full-blown luxury daily driver. Not even a close comparison. Full leather/suede power seats, navi, HIDs, electronically adjusted suspension and engine mapping, available DCT, IRS...idk. If Ford wanted to compare the Boss to a CSL or any of the other stripped track rat M3s, I would be impressed. I feel a standard Brembo GT would be a better comparison to the M3. Just look at those 3 cars; 2 are boy racer gaudy and the other is a fine luxury machine. Big differences.
Old 2/17/11, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus the M3 is heavier.
Old 2/17/11, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

The comparison is because the M3 is compared to everything. It's always put on a pedestal.
Old 2/17/11, 11:38 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
M3 is going to get smoked since the Normal GT brembo car matches its performance...
Old 2/17/11, 11:49 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
M3 is going to get smoked since the Normal GT brembo car matches its performance...
An interesting tidbit from the site linked above:
First Drive, Full Test, Rematch with the M3, Boss and LS vs. M3 and M3GTS, Lightning Lap appearance, etc.
First mention I've heard about the Boss being compared to the GTS. I wonder if it is accurate, I didn't that there were any GTS' in North America.

Last edited by PTRocks; 2/17/11 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2/17/11, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I hate to be a poor sport, but this whole M3 comparison thing just doesn't impress me. Yes the car is an amazing machine, with all its electronic gadgetry that allows it to be a fine tuned track rat, whereas the Boss is relatively basic. But the M3 does all of what the Boss does on the track, while being a full-blown luxury daily driver. Not even a close comparison. Full leather/suede power seats, navi, HIDs, electronically adjusted suspension and engine mapping, available DCT, IRS...idk. If Ford wanted to compare the Boss to a CSL or any of the other stripped track rat M3s, I would be impressed. I feel a standard Brembo GT would be a better comparison to the M3. Just look at those 3 cars; 2 are boy racer gaudy and the other is a fine luxury machine. Big differences.
I think if Ford were to set up a Brembo GT fully loaded minus the glass roof, unless that option were selected on the M3, with Steeda Springs and Koni shocks, FRPP Forged wheels, the Mustang would certainly trump the M3. Though the luxuries set by the M3 are still superior, the Mustang would still win the category by over 20 grand. I agree, the Boss should not be the one to dish it out to the M3, the GT should.

I can see how it's easy to grow tired of the comparison but this is the closest a non 2 bucket sports car comes to the coveted M3 mark. I'm not saying that my 335 is an M3 but I completely understand why the cars are so well liked. For a Ford to take aim, it's impressive. But I completely understand where you are coming from with the two cars hardly comparable stock for stock with amenities.
Old 2/17/11, 12:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Your points are well taken and I prefer not to use the M3 comparison. I've posted this a few times that I think of the Boss as a poor man's Ferrari F430 Scuderia or Porsche GT3 RS.

BMW 3 series cars are great driving machines and deserve their vaulted reputation but are a dime a dozen here in CA. Every soccer mom that's graduated from their SUV/minivan aspires to own one. When I started looking at new cars last summer I zero'd in quickly on the new 5 DOT 0 Mustangs and Audi S5. To me the Mustang presents the better value and I think is going to be more fun to own and drive. After I saw a Boss LS last Fall I was sold.
Old 2/17/11, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree. I also have a 335, mine's the 'd'.

I actually started looking at a 458, then the R8. The Boss represents a low-cost, trash-able track car that I can park anywhere.

Last edited by 4pipes; 2/17/11 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2/17/11, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Your points are well taken and I prefer not to use the M3 comparison. I've posted this a few times that I think of the Boss as a poor man's Ferrari F430 Scuderia or Porsche GT3 RS.

BMW 3 series cars are great driving machines and deserve their vaulted reputation but are a dime a dozen here in CA. Every soccer mom that's graduated from their SUV/minivan aspires to own one. When I started looking at new cars last summer I zero'd in quickly on the new 5 DOT 0 Mustangs and Audi S5. To me the Mustang presents the better value and I think is going to be more fun to own and drive. After I saw a Boss LS last Fall I was sold.
I'd go more with poor man's Maserati. S5, so little for so much. Like a super push up bra, it just doesn't deliver the goods when you strip it to the core.
Old 2/17/11, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I agree. I also have a 335, mine's the 'd'.

I actually started looking at a 458, then the R8. The Boss represents a low-cost, trash-able track car that I can park anywhere.
Did you get a chance to drive either of them and if so what were your impressions?

Since I'm more of a Porsche guy I'm sticking with poor man's GT3 RS.
Old 2/17/11, 01:43 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Boss vs. M3 may not be an apples to apples comparison, but as far as daily drivers that can perform respectably on the track for a weekend of gentlemen's racing, these two are in the same league, along Cadillac's CTS-V, several Porsches and and AMG Mercedes or two.

The Boss represents Ford's entry in the fast street / track coupe market. It is at a disadvantage luxury-wise, but at a cited advantage cost-wise. As far as the engine goes, the Boss takes a backseat to nobody, although almost all of the competitors offer six or seven speed automatic boxes or six speed manuals to Ford's manual only.

Hey, it is the Boss that has sparked my interest in American cars for the first time in over 30 years. Ford can't go wrong with this machine.
Old 2/17/11, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Did you get a chance to drive either of them and if so what were your impressions?

Since I'm more of a Porsche guy I'm sticking with poor man's GT3 RS.
I drove the 458, not the R8. I decided I didn't want to consider 4 wheel drive cars for the track.

The 458 is blindingly fast and feels just like a shifter cart without the shifter, however it was uninvolving for me. It's actually amazingly capable in the full auto mode. The 458 is only available with the F1 transmission, I love to heel/toe downshift and at my age I don't care who passes me or how fast I go....I just love to drive.

I've owned a Ferrari before and it would take a car as exciting to drive as it to look at to get me spend that kind of money again.
Old 2/17/11, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

The M3 is a great car, im so glad we got a great American built affordable track car. My friend has a 2011 M3 & we can't wait to get on the track, race, & switch!
Old 2/17/11, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I drove the 458, not the R8. I decided I didn't want to consider 4 wheel drive cars for the track.

The 458 is blindingly fast and feels just like a shifter cart without the shifter, however it was uninvolving for me. It's actually amazingly capable in the full auto mode. The 458 is only available with the F1 transmission, I love to heel/toe downshift and at my age I don't care who passes me or how fast I go....I just love to drive.

I've owned a Ferrari before and it would take a car as exciting to drive as it to look at to get me spend that kind of money again.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Did you look at a Porsche GT3 (RS)? Not as fast as the Ferrari but not nearly as expensive.

This will be my first Ford/American car in about 15 years.
Old 2/17/11, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, I looked at the Gt3. Too over the top for me and not as parking friendly. I've had many Porshes since 1982 and I think I'm done. I like front engine V8's for fun.
Old 2/17/11, 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

You have valid points, and I myself think that the M3 is a nicer car that is more well rounded. However, the M3 is $20k more.

I would certainly hope you get something for that $20k.
Old 2/17/11, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Boss Vs M3

Originally Posted by DFV
Boss vs. M3 may not be an apples to apples comparison, but as far as daily drivers that can perform respectably on the track for a weekend of gentlemen's racing, these two are in the same league, along Cadillac's CTS-V, several Porsches and and AMG Mercedes or two.

The Boss represents Ford's entry in the fast street / track coupe market. It is at a disadvantage luxury-wise, but at a cited advantage cost-wise. As far as the engine goes, the Boss takes a backseat to nobody, although almost all of the competitors offer six or seven speed automatic boxes or six speed manuals to Ford's manual only.

Hey, it is the Boss that has sparked my interest in American cars for the first time in over 30 years. Ford can't go wrong with this machine.
As strange as a comparison this is, I actually was cross shopping between a 3 year old M3 the new 1 series M, a 2011 Mustang GT, and the Boss. I'm currently driving a '98 M3 and I love the rawness of the older M3s. I plan on converting the M3 into a dedicated track car and I needed a replacement street car. The new M3 has plenty of power but caters to much to the luxury crowd. I was never a big fan of the way the 1 series looked, and the M version only helped a little. The new GT 5.0 was intriguing, but Mustangs are very common around here.

When Ford started releasing info on the new Boss 302 it really spoke to me. A no non-sense performance car that I could drive on the street for a few years then take it to the track. I went back and forth trying to decide if the Boss was worth the 10K premium over a standard GT (10K would buy a nice coil over setup and racing rims/tires) but finally decided it was and place a order last week. (Actually I put a down payment on one the dealer had already ordered)
It suppose to be here sometime in Mid to late March.

So now begins the sleepless nights waiting, waiting, waiting.
Old 2/18/11, 04:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Another reason for M3 comparison test is that the M3 and Boss are direct competitors in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge races.
Old 2/18/11, 03:40 PM

Is anybody saying when dealers will have cars to test drive? Or is it unrealistic to expect this? I'm just saying....... since i'm shopping and can test other alternatives, is this model hands-off and doomed to be bought without a test spin?
Old 2/18/11, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

There will be some dealers that are asking over MSRP that will have hanger queens for a while. I'm sure they'll let you test drive one.

Quick Reply: Ford tests