2012-2013 BOSS 302

First oil change pics

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/11, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change pics

Guys-

I hit 1500 miles after two weeks so I wanted to get the oil changed out. Here's some pics.

Loosen/Remove 3 screws with 8mm socket to lower the panel.

I didn't have a dinky little oil filter wrench so I used two XL hands to loosen it.

Here's a pic showing the drain plug location and the bar you replace to put in the trans cooler scoop I think.

Oil was pretty dark.

Plug bolt has a nice o-ring seal built in.

The OEM is on the left, then the 500S that I used, and an 820S.

CLEARLY the fastest funnel!
Old 6/28/11, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome pics man!
and loving the comparison of the 3 filters.
Im at the 1237 mark on mine. So i will be doing this very soon as well
Old 6/28/11, 06:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. I'll be doing my first oil change in a couple of weeks so nice to see ehat to expect. Did you use the Motorcraft synthetic oil? Any info on the differences between the filters?
Old 6/28/11, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Thanks for the writeup. I'll be doing my first oil change in a couple of weeks so nice to see ehat to expect. Did you use the Motorcraft synthetic oil? Any info on the differences between the filters?
Yah, how did you decide the 820 was an acceptable substiture for the 500?
Old 6/28/11, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JiveFive0
Awesome pics man!
and loving the comparison of the 3 filters.
Im at the 1237 mark on mine. So i will be doing this very soon as well
Figured you picture junkies would like some candy.

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I used Castrol Full Syn 5W-50. I have no idea about the differences between the filters. First I bought the 820S then read up and it looked like I should use the 500S so I bought some of those. They're cheap! $4-$6 for an oil filter? My truck takes a 1995 so it's HUGE and not cheap...
Old 6/28/11, 07:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

What no instructional video?

When you remove the filter does it spill all over other parts or does it come off without making a mess?
Old 6/28/11, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
What no instructional video?

When you remove the filter does it spill all over other parts or does it come off without making a mess?
Hey Rick. It's a bit of a mess. I tried the plastic bag over it trick and captured much of the oil but some was missed. On my truck I poke a hole in the bottom of it with an awl to drain the oil first and then remove it. I might try that in the future.

Next weekend I'll do the rear diff and post up pics. Why does the Torsen require friction modifier if it doesn't have clutches? Or does it require f/m?
Old 6/28/11, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Next weekend I'll do the rear diff and post up pics. Why does the Torsen require friction modifier if it doesn't have clutches? Or does it require f/m?
That's the $50 question of the week. Gary, when yours was changed, did they add the friction modifier? I remember you talking about it but the the final decision.
Old 6/28/11, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

It says in the Boss supplemental manual to add the friction modifier, so, I did!
Old 6/28/11, 08:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shock for me on the first oil change was how few dealers and shops stocked 5W50, and then how expensive it was. Ouch.
Old 6/28/11, 08:14 PM

Are most of you using Motorcraft? Anyone using Mobil 1? Here's an interesting read on what viscosity to use.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...l#post10825916
Old 6/28/11, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are most of you using Motorcraft? Anyone using Mobil 1? Here's an interesting read on what viscosity to use.

Might have to start using the Amsoil. I have no problem doing that. Funny the Pelican has always received 10w-40 for oil changes.
Old 6/28/11, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm using redline

That post reads like an amsoil ad
Old 6/28/11, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vito
I'm using redline

That post reads like an amsoil ad
Yes it does but I don't think that guy is a retailer.
Old 6/28/11, 09:34 PM

Look closely at the oil inlet hole sizes (8 holes) between the original filter on the Boss, and the other two Motorcraft filters...looks like the original unit was made to flow some oil! The FL-820S has better flow passage potential as well...The FL-500S looks a bit restrictive compared to the other two. The original filter was obviously made by a different supplier - wonder who? I had a NOS Motorcraft FL-HP to compare...it is made in a similar manner to the original Boss Filter.

Seems like the feature on the filter one has to watch closely is the installed clearance distance between the oil filter pad on the oil cooler mount, and the plane of the threaded stamping on the filter with the inlet holes. You want this distance to be equivalent to the original filter to enable proper radial distribution and transfer of the oil from the hole in the oil cooler to the filter. Looking at the differences in the FL-820S and the FL-500S, the FL-820S has more clearance...but this may be an optical illusion. I have seen some problems with some filters such as a System 1 which when installed can have minimal clearance between the mounting surface with some types of oil filter adapters and the plane of the inlet holes and can actually choke or restrict oil flow.
Rusty
Old 6/29/11, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Going to run Redline 5w50 - I am fortunate enough to live within 2 miles of a major distributor, so that's easy for me :-) I will also be running Redline Shockproof in the diff (has their friction modifier already added).

In fact, I'm really going to run Redline end-to-end. I am paying $43k for a car and, although it costs more, it's proven and it's worth it
Old 6/29/11, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 68asedan
Look closely at the oil inlet hole sizes (8 holes) between the original filter on the Boss, and the other two Motorcraft filters...looks like the original unit was made to flow some oil! The FL-820S has better flow passage potential as well...The FL-500S looks a bit restrictive compared to the other two. The original filter was obviously made by a different supplier - wonder who? I had a NOS Motorcraft FL-HP to compare...it is made in a similar manner to the original Boss Filter.

Seems like the feature on the filter one has to watch closely is the installed clearance distance between the oil filter pad on the oil cooler mount, and the plane of the threaded stamping on the filter with the inlet holes. You want this distance to be equivalent to the original filter to enable proper radial distribution and transfer of the oil from the hole in the oil cooler to the filter. Looking at the differences in the FL-820S and the FL-500S, the FL-820S has more clearance...but this may be an optical illusion. I have seen some problems with some filters such as a System 1 which when installed can have minimal clearance between the mounting surface with some types of oil filter adapters and the plane of the inlet holes and can actually choke or restrict oil flow.
Rusty
Great observation + interesting info-->
Old 6/29/11, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
It says in the Boss supplemental manual to add the friction modifier, so, I did!
Same here.
Old 6/29/11, 06:45 PM

Look at the photo of the FORD RACING HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER PN
CM-6731-FL820 on the ford racing website:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7567
A "square-on" view of the attachment end of the filter is not available, but it looks similar having large round inlet holes in lieu of the enongated, smaller holes of the FL-820S and the FL-500S.
Rusty
Old 6/30/11, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Anyone know if Amsoil makes 5W50?

Quick Reply: First oil change pics