Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/11, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Impressions

Well, I've had #1154 home for a few days now, and I thought I'd get my initial impressions on the car out. Perspective and all

First off, let me just say I've never driven a Mustang that handles like this. The subtle driving characteristics that I'm used to which, let's be honest, were really flaws, are completely absent here. I've done some aggressive driving on some country backroads in the car, nothing too serious yet, but thus far I am hugely impressed. The car just goes where you need it to go with no real drama, and I've become far more comfortable with the car, far more quickly, than any other vehicle I've owned. It is so completely composed and planted that it's massively confidence-inspiring. Seriously, if you are not capable of driving this car fast, then you are not capable of driving fast.

I pulled the restrictor plates on day 2. I believe I could drive the car now for the rest of my life and never tire of hearing the gorgeous racecar burble on engine deceleration. Perfectly appropriate for this car.

The engine is amazing. Really, REALLY pulls hard to redline, as advertised. The usability of the torque impresses me greatly, and the throttle response is instant, which is nice (having come from the past few Mustangs of mine being supercharged or turbos). Cannot say enough about this - it's difficult to resist taking every gear to redline, just to feel the pull and listen.

The engine gets HOT, and STAYS hot. Full disclosure - we've having quite a heat wave in the midwest presently, but that happens. In comparison to my 2010 intercooled and supercharged GT, the heat levels are a bit higher after some "play time", as you might expect. But worryingly, they stay quite hot. Now, on my 2010 GT, after a run and perhaps an hour in the garage cooling down, I could comfortably touch the motor, and it would have cooled enough to work on. On day 3, after perhaps an hour and a half of spirited driving, I parked her in the garage, and then took the wife to dinner. When I got back two hours later, I popped the hood and the engine bay was still so hod that touching the hood support rod nearly burned my fingers. Whatever else may be going on with heat management, I can tell you that I now have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that a vented Tiger Racing 302s hood is in my future. Whatever else the car may need, it absolutely needs this, in my opinion.

I've begun some experimentation with the shocks, and it is nice to have some adjustment range, but I would have preferred more range. However, they do a nice job, and have enough adjustment to work with on a basic level. I've found that I like having the rears one step softer from the fronts at any setting - this works well on the roads here - but I'd imagine I'll run even at most tracks. Also, I've experienced no noises or squishing sounds over speed bumps and such.

It's been noted before, but the wheels are heavy, much more so than I'd have expected. Real improvements to be had there. But they are nice, and I haven't spotted any finish defects like some others have, so good news there.

The brakes are brilliant, no question there. No wobble, and great pedal feel. Haven't been able to induce any fade yet, but as stated, haven't been on the track yet. The Motul 600 goes in this weekend. Also, it seems like the pads are dusty as hell for street pads. I've gotten on them a bit, sure, and some of that can be attributed to normal bedding and break-in, but it still seems excessive to me.

Interior-wise, fit and finish are a step up from ordinary Mustang standards. Of course it's pretty spartan, but that's to be expected. I'd have been disappointed if it had SatNav and leather seats. The Recaros are fantastic, and I love the feel of the wheel. I find the Sport steering mode to be rather pointless as others have noted, but I can see how it's really just personal preference - there is no right or wrong setting. Some of the plasticky stuff is a little low-rent, but for me ultimately, it doesn't really matter. The instrumentation is good, and the racing ergonomics are good for a production car. Needs a proper pedal kit, but what production car couldn't really benefit from one?

The gearbox is fantastic, and the transmission has been equally fantastic thus far. Smooth and precise, with a confident "click" in gear. Didn't think I'd like the shift **** initially, but it's grown on me. I'm also amazed how light and precise the clutch is - nice trick there, Ford, and not the workout I expected.

In the coming days, I'll be installing the brake duct cooling kit and tranny cooling scoop. I'll be using my track time through the end of the year to get a real feel for the car, and make mod adjustments as I see the need for them. I'm convinced the 302s Hood is an immediate need, and of course I'll get the rest of the baseline track goodies - pads and rotors, wheels and tires, new pedals, etc. From there, we'll see what the car really needs.

Overall, I am blown away by the car. It's better than I expected, much better, and I expected it to be excellent in any case. Having driven various Mustangs for years, this truly is a different sort of car. It's the first Mustang I've driven that truly felt like a sports car from day one. I'm completely impressed with the work that makes this car feel so precise, so planted, and how well the whole works together. It's truly a stunning achievement - not without it's flaws, of course, but it really represents a new level of execution for Ford, and shows what's possible in this platform.
Old 7/22/11, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LateApex
Well, I've had #1154 home for a few days now, and I thought I'd get my initial impressions on the car out. Perspective and all

First off, let me just say I've never driven a Mustang that handles like this. The subtle driving characteristics that I'm used to which, let's be honest, were really flaws, are completely absent here. I've done some aggressive driving on some country backroads in the car, nothing too serious yet, but thus far I am hugely impressed. The car just goes where you need it to go with no real drama, and I've become far more comfortable with the car, far more quickly, than any other vehicle I've owned. It is so completely composed and planted that it's massively confidence-inspiring. Seriously, if you are not capable of driving this car fast, then you are not capable of driving fast.

I pulled the restrictor plates on day 2. I believe I could drive the car now for the rest of my life and never tire of hearing the gorgeous racecar burble on engine deceleration. Perfectly appropriate for this car.

The engine is amazing. Really, REALLY pulls hard to redline, as advertised. The usability of the torque impresses me greatly, and the throttle response is instant, which is nice (having come from the past few Mustangs of mine being supercharged or turbos). Cannot say enough about this - it's difficult to resist taking every gear to redline, just to feel the pull and listen.

The engine gets HOT, and STAYS hot. Full disclosure - we've having quite a heat wave in the midwest presently, but that happens. In comparison to my 2010 intercooled and supercharged GT, the heat levels are a bit higher after some "play time", as you might expect. But worryingly, they stay quite hot. Now, on my 2010 GT, after a run and perhaps an hour in the garage cooling down, I could comfortably touch the motor, and it would have cooled enough to work on. On day 3, after perhaps an hour and a half of spirited driving, I parked her in the garage, and then took the wife to dinner. When I got back two hours later, I popped the hood and the engine bay was still so hod that touching the hood support rod nearly burned my fingers. Whatever else may be going on with heat management, I can tell you that I now have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that a vented Tiger Racing 302s hood is in my future. Whatever else the car may need, it absolutely needs this, in my opinion.

I've begun some experimentation with the shocks, and it is nice to have some adjustment range, but I would have preferred more range. However, they do a nice job, and have enough adjustment to work with on a basic level. I've found that I like having the rears one step softer from the fronts at any setting - this works well on the roads here - but I'd imagine I'll run even at most tracks. Also, I've experienced no noises or squishing sounds over speed bumps and such.

It's been noted before, but the wheels are heavy, much more so than I'd have expected. Real improvements to be had there. But they are nice, and I haven't spotted any finish defects like some others have, so good news there.

The brakes are brilliant, no question there. No wobble, and great pedal feel. Haven't been able to induce any fade yet, but as stated, haven't been on the track yet. The Motul 600 goes in this weekend. Also, it seems like the pads are dusty as hell for street pads. I've gotten on them a bit, sure, and some of that can be attributed to normal bedding and break-in, but it still seems excessive to me.

Interior-wise, fit and finish are a step up from ordinary Mustang standards. Of course it's pretty spartan, but that's to be expected. I'd have been disappointed if it had SatNav and leather seats. The Recaros are fantastic, and I love the feel of the wheel. I find the Sport steering mode to be rather pointless as others have noted, but I can see how it's really just personal preference - there is no right or wrong setting. Some of the plasticky stuff is a little low-rent, but for me ultimately, it doesn't really matter. The instrumentation is good, and the racing ergonomics are good for a production car. Needs a proper pedal kit, but what production car couldn't really benefit from one?

The gearbox is fantastic, and the transmission has been equally fantastic thus far. Smooth and precise, with a confident "click" in gear. Didn't think I'd like the shift **** initially, but it's grown on me. I'm also amazed how light and precise the clutch is - nice trick there, Ford, and not the workout I expected.

In the coming days, I'll be installing the brake duct cooling kit and tranny cooling scoop. I'll be using my track time through the end of the year to get a real feel for the car, and make mod adjustments as I see the need for them. I'm convinced the 302s Hood is an immediate need, and of course I'll get the rest of the baseline track goodies - pads and rotors, wheels and tires, new pedals, etc. From there, we'll see what the car really needs.

Overall, I am blown away by the car. It's better than I expected, much better, and I expected it to be excellent in any case. Having driven various Mustangs for years, this truly is a different sort of car. It's the first Mustang I've driven that truly felt like a sports car from day one. I'm completely impressed with the work that makes this car feel so precise, so planted, and how well the whole works together. It's truly a stunning achievement - not without it's flaws, of course, but it really represents a new level of execution for Ford, and shows what's possible in this platform.
Awesome, congrats.

I'll say it before somebody else does:

Old 7/22/11, 06:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on your impressions
Old 7/22/11, 06:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Looks like you are having fun with your Boss. I agree about the interior and while the material used on the dash is nice the massive expanses of plastic on the doors and center console is not. The most disappointing thing about the car to me is the instruments and I think they are very poor. Like you I'm really restraining myself not to go to redline in first and second. More fun to come.

Mine gets very hot as well but remember they are designed to run 220-240 all day long. I'm surprised how hot the front of the hood gets and have also burned my hand opening the hood. The 302s hood would be nice and should help extract heat from the engine compartment.
Old 7/22/11, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

The upside to no instruments is you can keep your eyes on the track!