Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Exhaust Again

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/11, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Again

Now that some of you have had your car for a little while, what are your takes on the exhaust? The videos people have posted have definitely helped me. I know with the discs out it is too loud for some of you already, but I'm only young once(I'm 27) and am thining about putting a Roush Axle Back on mine to make it truly sound like a muscle car should in my mind.

Just wondering what everyone's take on this is? I have only heard the Boss through videos online, and I understand that it is waaaay not the same thing as hearing it in person. So any insight into this would be appreciated
Old 5/18/11, 08:40 AM
Cobra R Member

How do you know the roush axle back will make it sound that way? Anyway post vids when done
Old 5/18/11, 08:41 AM

I love the sound and everyone who hears it with the plates out love it. I have ARH long tubes with high flow cats going on next week and I am gonna weld provisions ofter the X so I can keep the side pipes. Trying to decide between Basanni or Magnaflow for the rest of the exhaust.
Old 5/18/11, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking of the Roush axle-backs as well. My only criticism of the Boss exhaust is that I'd like it to be louder from the rear. My attenuation discs are removed and it sounds great from the sides, but from the rear the exhaust sounds just like a stock 5.0, which isn't bad, but I like loud.
Old 5/18/11, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by atrain1975
I was thinking of the Roush axle-backs as well. My only criticism of the Boss exhaust is that I'd like it to be louder from the rear. My attenuation discs are removed and it sounds great from the sides, but from the rear the exhaust sounds just like a stock 5.0, which isn't bad, but I like loud.
My thoughts exactly. I don't have the car yet, but the side exhaust is awesome, but since they did that you would think they would put something a little better in the rear to match up. Anyways, Vito, I dont KNOW that it will make it sound exactly the way I want it to, but if you listen to some of the Roush Axle Back vids on youtube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wsGp8crC5g). It sounds mean, and then add in the Boss side exhausts and I think that's what I am looking for
Old 5/18/11, 01:09 PM
Cobra Member

the boss with restrictors out isn't that loud inside the car, it sounds great. no drone either. i drove a 10 427r last year and the boss sans restrictors is no where near that loud.
Old 5/18/11, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NCETRY
I love the sound and everyone who hears it with the plates out love it. I have ARH long tubes with high flow cats going on next week and I am gonna weld provisions ofter the X so I can keep the side pipes. Trying to decide between Basanni or Magnaflow for the rest of the exhaust.
Please let us know how this ends up sounding. This will most likely be the combination I'll be getting. Same choice of mufflers as well!

Dave
Old 5/18/11, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the boss with restrictors out isn't that loud inside the car, it sounds great. no drone either. i drove a 10 427r last year and the boss sans restrictors is no where near that loud.
Thank you...good to know that the exhaust mod is needed
Old 5/18/11, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Do you get the popping sound when slowing down with the restrictors removed?
Old 5/18/11, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
Mine makes that sound. I use the engine to decelerate and turn corners in my office building's parking garage, and the burbling / popping noise seems to scare old people and ladies. No way in hell I'm putting the discs back in.
Old 5/18/11, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a 28 yr old's impression... FWIW. I got my Bullitt when I was 22 and the first thing I did was slap an SLP o/r X pipe and SLP LMII's on it, and it was loud, obnoxiously so, which is what I wanted at the time. *shrug* Apparently I've grown out of that phase though, because I'm perfectly content with how the BOSS sounds from the factory, sans discs. IMO, the muscle car sound isn't about volume so much as it's about tone. I've definitely driven louder Mustangs before, but I've never driven one that had as great a true muscle car sound as this car has, certainly not in stock form. Ford nailed this part, as they did with the rest of the car.

All that said, I'm VERY interested in hearing the ARH combo mentioned above.
Old 5/18/11, 07:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Here's a 28 yr old's impression... FWIW. I got my Bullitt when I was 22 and the first thing I did was slap an SLP o/r X pipe and SLP LMII's on it, and it was loud, obnoxiously so, which is what I wanted at the time. *shrug* Apparently I've grown out of that phase though, because I'm perfectly content with how the BOSS sounds from the factory, sans discs. IMO, the muscle car sound isn't about volume so much as it's about tone. I've definitely driven louder Mustangs before, but I've never driven one that had as great a true muscle car sound as this car has, certainly not in stock form. Ford nailed this part, as they did with the rest of the car.

All that said, I'm VERY interested in hearing the ARH combo mentioned above.

From a 30 yr olds opinion I agree with this 100%. I had an 03 cobra when I was 21 (got it in 02) and immediately did o/r x and bassani's. Loud, and I still love it, but the Boss is perfect as is!!
Old 5/18/11, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cobrasteve
From a 30 yr olds opinion I agree with this 100%. I had an 03 cobra when I was 21 (got it in 02) and immediately did o/r x and bassani's. Loud, and I still love it, but the Boss is perfect as is!!
With or without the restrictors?
Old 5/18/11, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
only at about 4k, it sounds good though, certainly no worse than my 10 was with flowmasters. the thing I love about the boss exhaust with the restrictors out is no drone. i also like the deep tone, most of the 5.0 guys i know with after market exhausts either sound like a truck or are very raspy and i want neither of those. i wont be changing the exhaust unless i move to headers and cant keep the factory setup.
Old 5/18/11, 08:00 PM

Exhaust

I have the MRT H pipe as well as the Interceptor mufflers.The H pipe alone gives a deeper sound.It remindes me more of the old muscle car sound.It will also increase the power enough that it is easily felt.I am VERY happy with the quality of the work done by MRT.Scott worked with Ford for many years as an engineer and is responsible for many pattents.His parts are not just "slapped together",they are engineered to work and fit as OEM parts.I have them on my new Boss 302 LS.Any way I hope this helps.

txclyde1
LS 014
Old 5/18/11, 08:10 PM
GT Member

I was driving a 2012 Roush Stage 3 and fired up a Boss 302 right next to it... Can't even hear the Boss.
Old 5/18/11, 09:50 PM

I have both. The 427R is louder at start-up but he Boss with restrictors out is louder at WOT. Both are awesome. Definitely, just take out the plates. Haven't thought about new axle-backs. I'd be interested to know what others think if they try new combinations. If I had to pick another axle-back I'd definitely look at Roush first.
Old 5/18/11, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by txclyde1
I have the MRT H pipe as well as the Interceptor mufflers.The H pipe alone gives a deeper sound.It remindes me more of the old muscle car sound.It will also increase the power enough that it is easily felt.I am VERY happy with the quality of the work done by MRT.Scott worked with Ford for many years as an engineer and is responsible for many pattents.His parts are not just "slapped together",they are engineered to work and fit as OEM parts.I have them on my new Boss 302 LS.Any way I hope this helps.

txclyde1
LS 014
Do you own the black LS that we have seen video(s) of getting the MRT treatment? If so, I am a fan of what was done to that car, if not, I'd be very interested in hearing what your BOSS sounds like.
Old 5/19/11, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

And I liked the way mine sounded stock with the restrictors removed...but the car had NO sound out of the back. So after being the first to remove the restrictors, I thought it would only be right to be the first to mod the exhaust

That's when I did the Magnaflow O/R X pipe and left the factory resonated midpipes and installed the Borla S Types. Now I don't need the sidepipes because all the music comes out the rear!!

With the Lund Cammed tune and the exhaust I get thumbs up everywhere I drive
Old 5/19/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks all for your input. Roush exhaust on the way. Seemed like the best bang for the buck at $370 shipped. Now I just need my darn car! Supposed to be built a week from today though, so it's getting there!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Again