2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer's 29-mile "road test"

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/11, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer's 29-mile "road test"

Brought my Boss to the dealer where I purchased it since the "check engine" light was on. Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor - fairly common, I guess. When I went to pick up the car the next day the dealer had driven it 29 miles! All clearly documented on their invoice. I spoke with the service writer who gave me a ****-and-bull story about having to drive it to reset some computer parameters or such nonsense, but the explanation was pretty lame. The mechanic, conveniently, was not on site at that time for further clarification.

I went to my salesman who also seemed upset by it all and could think of no reason for the excessive mileage. He then introduced me to the owner of the dealership with whom I continued the discussion and made clear how mad I am about the whole thing. Again, the mechanic in question wasn't there (Saturday), but the owner seemed concerned and said the service manager would call me Monday morning with an explanation.

To me this seems like a case of the mechanic having a joy ride at my expense. Can anyone think of a legitimate reason for a 29-mile "road test"? I can't. I'll at least hear what they have to say tomorrow before deciding what I'll do.
Old 10/2/11, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I once went in for an Emission test where they use the OBD connector. I had disconnected the battery for storage reasons. They connected the test equipment and then the tester told me I had to drive the car around 50 miles to reset the computer since I had disconnected the battery. I drove it around, brought it back in, and passed.
Old 10/2/11, 06:33 PM

Was this in your new LS? Also, I'd rather have the option of me driving it to "reset the computer". Seems fishy. I wonder if they have to drive F-150's and Escapes 29 miles to reset the computer?
Old 10/2/11, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

I'm picturing the valet parking scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Old 10/2/11, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To verify that they (repair facility) made a "quality" repair, a good tech would have cleared the memory from the PCM, and then driven the vehicle, performing a "drive cycle" to re-set the monitors in the PCM. This drive cycle, depending on many circumstances, could take well over 30 miles to re-set the monitors, including the O2 monitor, which is the monitor that tests the O2 sensors. Once the monitor ran for the O2 sensors and no DTC was present, they verified that they made a proper repair. Maybe they went for a joy ride, but then again, maybe they just wanted to perform a proper repair? And yes, this drive cycle can be performed by the customer, but a good repair facility wants to know the vehicle is repaired before handing it over to the customer. The again, if I was the tech, I would want to see how fast that baby would go!!!!
Old 10/2/11, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

To make sure there was gonna ne no problems again probably.
Old 10/2/11, 07:39 PM

02s

you dont have to drive to check 02s

rob
Old 10/2/11, 07:56 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just chalk it up as quality control and live with it. I've put way more miles than that test driving and diagnosing.
Tech should have documented the dtc and cleared the codes first. Test drove the vehicle to see if the failure reoccurred second. Repaired and test drove the vehicle after that. Considering warm up times, 15 miles a trip wouldn't be excessive.
Or he may just have drove the **** out of it on the interstate for fun.
Old 10/2/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Ask them for a free oil change. While they are changing the oil, tell them "as colateral" you want a GT500 as a loaner.

Like others said MAYBE the wrench was doing the right thing.

If they take it on another joy ride after the oil change "to check for leaks", I'd raise the B$ flag and raise hell.
Old 10/2/11, 08:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I am very specifc and always instruct the service advisor that my car is not to leave the dealer regardless of reason or circumstance without my written approval or without me being present. I learned from experience. My 2001 Bullitt was taken for a 45 minute 18 mile joy ride after a scheduled oil change. All the managers from the dealer pleaded for my restraint during the long wait and promised the situation would be taken care of.

As a result I received 4 courtesy oil changes and it costed the rapist his job but at the end it was no consolation. Looking back exercising restraint was a mistake, I should have decked the SOB instead while I had the chance.
Old 10/2/11, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe they never left the parking lot....did you look for tire marks????? lol

Sounds like it needs more info for sure. I have never had that kind of mileage put on any car from servicing it.
Old 10/2/11, 08:52 PM
Cobra R Member

At least it was documented? It would be sketch if they hadn't... But they said they did to reset some computer settings, which is where the clarification comes in... So find that out before you go crazy.

I'd be over it.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 10/2/11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10/2/11, 09:00 PM

The service ticket states:
"Road test ck EEC system, P0131, went through pinpoint test dz as outlined on printoff on back of ticket, monitor PIDS during road test, found bad bank 1 sensor 1, replace sensor and road test OK"

Whatever. Yea, I was thinking of the Ferris Bueler scene with the Ferrari, too.

Question for 2006Mach1 - why can't you simply replace the O2 sensor if that's the code indicated on the OBD-II and be done with it?
Old 10/2/11, 09:09 PM

That's the difference between parts changers and technicians. What if it was a wiring problem or a vacuum leak? You would have been back at the dealer with another cel whining because it wasn't fixed last time.
Old 10/3/11, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a spoiler painted and installed at a body shop and they put 18 miles on my car... Needless to say I didn't pay for any of the work
Old 10/3/11, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
I had a spoiler painted and installed at a body shop and they put 18 miles on my car... Needless to say I didn't pay for any of the work
How dare you! They had to see if the down force was correct.
Old 10/3/11, 05:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by upstateGT
Question for 2006Mach1 - why can't you simply replace the O2 sensor if that's the code indicated on the OBD-II and be done with it?
This is a low voltage issue. In some cases it could be a wiring or a PCM issue, such as a ground or junction connection. Customers don't like it when they pay for parts and repairs and then the light comes back on. I would say it is better to perform a proper diagnosis than just replace parts, all though I have seen diagnostics state to "replace with good known part". Won't hurt to ask why all the miles on the car. If they did nothing wrong they will be glad to tell you why they drove it that far.
Old 10/3/11, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
To verify that they (repair facility) made a "quality" repair, a good tech would have cleared the memory from the PCM, and then driven the vehicle, performing a "drive cycle" to re-set the monitors in the PCM. This drive cycle, depending on many circumstances, could take well over 30 miles to re-set the monitors, including the O2 monitor, which is the monitor that tests the O2 sensors. Once the monitor ran for the O2 sensors and no DTC was present, they verified that they made a proper repair. Maybe they went for a joy ride, but then again, maybe they just wanted to perform a proper repair? And yes, this drive cycle can be performed by the customer, but a good repair facility wants to know the vehicle is repaired before handing it over to the customer.
Excellent explanation. In some states, if an emissions component is replaced, the dealer is required by law to ensure the car will pass emissions prior to leaving the dealership/shop. This can take a good many miles of very specific drivings types to get all the driving cycle PIDS to reset and start returning OK's for the emissions test.

I wouldn't be upset about it personally. (And I wasn't when my car had to be repaired)
Old 10/3/11, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
I am very specifc and always instruct the service advisor that my car is not to leave the dealer regardless of reason or circumstance without my written approval or without me being present. I learned from experience. My 2001 Bullitt was taken for a 45 minute 18 mile joy ride after a scheduled oil change. All the managers from the dealer pleaded for my restraint during the long wait and promised the situation would be taken care of.

As a result I received 4 courtesy oil changes and it costed the rapist his job but at the end it was no consolation. Looking back exercising restraint was a mistake, I should have decked the SOB instead while I had the chance.
So a "joy ride" that averaged ~ 24 mph (doesn't sound like a lot of joy) had you mad enough to get a guy fired and want to fight him?

You need to check your priorities.

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
That's the difference between parts changers and technicians. What if it was a wiring problem or a vacuum leak? You would have been back at the dealer with another cel whining because it wasn't fixed last time.
This...^^^, and...
Originally Posted by 2006mach1
This is a low voltage issue. In some cases it could be a wiring or a PCM issue, such as a ground or junction connection. Customers don't like it when they pay for parts and repairs and then the light comes back on. I would say it is better to perform a proper diagnosis than just replace parts, all though I have seen diagnostics state to "replace with good known part". Won't hurt to ask why all the miles on the car. If they did nothing wrong they will be glad to tell you why they drove it that far.
this.
Old 10/3/11, 07:43 AM
GTR Member

To be fair, it may not have been 24mph. Taking an average is a very poor way of trying to show what really happened.

I definitely see the need for road testing, but could see how some techs could abuse said privilege. Not to mention, they're not paying for your gas, so why worry? Simple solution, take it to the dealer with a small amount of gas.

Quick Reply: Dealer's 29-mile "road test"