Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Couple of questions to help with auto cross???

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/13, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions to help with auto cross???

I have a 2013 boss, i autocross it regularly. I want to make it faster while staying in my current class. Right now i am classed in A-stock. The rules say there are things i can do like: different sparkplugs, k&n filter only, and cooler or no thermostat.

My plan is:
1- get better tires, tires are every thing we all know this.
2- swap brake pads for something better (hawk hps) just to name one.
3- replace every bushing within the rules with polyurethane i belive just the ones on the front end can be replaced if i understand the rules correctly.

My questions are, the rules say i can replace the spark plugs, are there really better ones out the than the stockers? Name brand please.

I can run a different filter, is it really worth it? K&n or what would your suggestion be?

Is there a benifit with this engine to say a 160 degree thermostat? I heard somewhere you would not gain much if any without progromming the fans to come on at a lower temp? Opinions?

Lastly i was told i could replace the stock shocks with something similar to the koni double adjustable units, are these worth the $$ to do?

Thanks for any and all replies, just trying to make the car a little bit quicker since the scca classifies our bosses, gt500's, and zl-1 camaro's in the same a-stock class. I gotta do something to try and close this gap some to stay compettitive in my current class.
Old 7/8/13, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

First let me start by saying the Boss 302 is not really competitive in A stock...sorry. But if you bound and determined to stick it out and or don't have the desire/cash to put the car into ESP then maybe the following will help...

Really the best things you can do if you plan to stay stock is to upgrade shocks & tires/wheels. Koni yellow is probably the best option for the money. Tires...Buy your self a set of Hoosier A6's and the lightest stock configuration wheel you can afford. 265/35/19(front) & 295/35/19(rear) should work on your stock width wheels. Then get a good alignment with as much negative camber in front as possible.

If you don't want to pop for dedicated wheels and tires you could get Goodyear Eagle F1's...I think they are the best street tire available in stock sizes. Although the Michelin Pilot PS2 is also good...but far more expensive.

Also, brake pads are probably in order. I recommend the Hawk HP+ or CarboTech AX6. You may also want to get new front rotors for optimal mating for the new pads.

Air filter, spark plugs and thermostat are probably not worth the effort.

You may want to contact Vorshalg(http://www.vorshlag.com/) since they are quite familiar with Auto-Xing Mustangs and are in your neck of the woods...relatively speaking.(Plano, TX)
Old 7/8/13, 03:49 PM
V6 Member

First off thanks for your reply, second tell me about not compettitive.. Against 585 and 6xx horsepower cars like the zl1 and gt500 i cant belive they classed them the same. Other than that in my area i do fairly well in astock.

Its not so much the money to be in esp as it is i really dont want to start the whole h/p and suspension modding of this car yet its just such a nice driver to me at least i dont wanna upset that nice balance just yet but when i do its gonna be a supercharger and alot of suspension and full on slicks.

There is another boss in my area and we both run astock and enjoy the freindly competition.

Thanks for the suggestions and i will contact vorshlag to see what they suggest. And close is relative here in tx seems like if you dont drive 40-100 miles you aint really goin anywhere.
Just tryin to get what i can out of here in stock form.
Old 7/8/13, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

+1 for HP+ pads, then again when I switch pads it will probably be the toughest possible Carbotech's for the street.
Old 7/9/13, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hillbillyred
First off thanks for your reply, second tell me about not compettitive.. Against 585 and 6xx horsepower cars like the zl1 and gt500 i cant belive they classed them the same. Other than that in my area i do fairly well in astock.
What I meant is at a National level. Most will tell you that "The" car to have in A stock is the "FRC" Fixed Roof Coupe C5 Corvette. It's down on power, but much lighter and by far the better handling & braking car in stock form...especially when you add some nice shocks. Another tough car in that class is the Boxter S. Same story light weight w/ great handling and braking. The Camaro ZL1 on paper seems like a stronger car given those swanky magnetic shocks allow it to seemingly break the laws of Physics. But it's unproven so far on account of it's newness.

Maybe you are not driving against these cars in your regional events and if that's all you plan to do, then A stock is probably just fine.
Old 7/9/13, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ConeBoss
What I meant is at a National level. Most will tell you that "The" car to have in A stock is the "FRC" Fixed Roof Coupe C5 Corvette. It's down on power, but much lighter and by far the better handling & braking car in stock form...especially when you add some nice shocks. Another tough car in that class is the Boxter S. Same story light weight w/ great handling and braking. The Camaro ZL1 on paper seems like a stronger car given those swanky magnetic shocks allow it to seemingly break the laws of Physics. But it's unproven so far on account of it's newness.

Maybe you are not driving against these cars in your regional events and if that's all you plan to do, then A stock is probably just fine.
Exactly... To give you an idea tho of what im up against the course ran last weekend i was posting 56.7-57.5 second runs.
We have a berkin triple 7 that runs with us and he post about a 54.?? Time (different class of course) and that **** bkne stock zl1 was postin 54's and high 53's. now alot of his runs did have cone penalties but i think even with them he will have beat me this month. If i can get a half to a full second out of my car and he keeps being wreckless and taking the time hits for cones i can still come out on top. But i really think alot of people will be surprised how the zl1 stacks up against smaller lighter cars. Thanks for your information and opinions it how i learn.
Old 7/9/13, 02:06 PM

My suggestion is to run the car exactly like it is in A-stock for the rest of the year. ESP is a major investment in $$$. The stock rules in auto-x are probably gonna change drastically for 2014. If memory serves correctly, the Boss 302 may move into F-stock next year. I'm sure serious autocrossers are more in tune with the most recent proposals.

For now, try different air pressures and different settings with the traction control to see what works best for you and the particular course.

Plugs, spark plug wires and air filters do nothing. Just keep the plugs and air filter new. Dyno runs with our Spec Miata's show that fresh NGK plugs and plain old air filters from STP are just as good as anything else out there.

Jeff
Old 7/9/13, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Luckymotorsports
My suggestion is to run the car exactly like it is in A-stock for the rest of the year. ESP is a major investment in $$$. The stock rules in auto-x are probably gonna change drastically for 2014. If memory serves correctly, the Boss 302 may move into F-stock next year. I'm sure serious autocrossers are more in tune with the most recent proposals.
Even if(big IF) the Boss 302 does move to F-Stock next year. The allowances in F-stock are the same as A stock.

Biggest change in stock class for next year will be the tires allowed for competition. Basically no more R compound tires...otherwise rule changes proposed wont effect my suggestions. Granted this is a big difference, R compounds are clearly a game changer on a car. They will still be legal in the new "Street-R" category, which is basically a clone of what stock class is now...so the OP could switch over to that.

Maybe the OP plans to go to ESP at some point...in which case the experience with R compounds now will serve him well. If not it will at least level the playing field some vs that ZL1 he has to contend with now.