Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Couldn't Find a Trackey Thread So I Will Start Another

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/11, 04:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couldn't Find a Trackey Thread So I Will Start Another

I had a great opportunity to hang out all day at Daytona with the guys from Ford Racing and the Multimatic team testing the new Focus STR. What a great day, I felt like a big money sponsor VIP I was invited to go because of the codes the Boss is getting on track and limp modes. I did not ask for this but was invited by a forum member here from Ford Racing. While I have not been happy with corporate Ford over handing of Trackey these past few months there can never be enough said about the dedication of the many people that work on programs like this, simply amazing.

Truth be told I thought that I was going to get the "Real Trackey Program" when I got the invite. I did just get the "re-learn" flash as I was told. There is not a real Trackey program as compared to what we are getting now. You will not find anyone that was more skeptical then me over this and I believe 100% now that the program that was marketed and in the Miller cars is the same as ours.

I can not explain why I felt a different idle in the Miller cars then I feel in my car now. Maybe as I have said I may have expected too much of the program to begin with and the early "Trackey prototypes" did not help. The idle that is in the Miller cars and ours are different from the early prototypes, Ford has admitted that much but what we are getting is what Ford intended us to get.

After my royal treatment today I would love to tell everyone to run out and get Trackey, sorry I still can not do that. After all $500 is a lot of money and there are warranty issues to think about. While we were told Trackey would not have any effect on warranty, it does even if we are told not to worry about it. I think the $500 could be spend better for people that will not make use of

Launch control
Pit speed limiter
Hundredths of a second differences on the track
and my biggest issue the limp mode on track

For street driving the key will be of little use besides the cool factor of saying you have it. In fact I doubt I will drive much with it off track. To each his own but for most owners Trackey will not blow your mind.

I certainly hope the engineers will continue to work on programs like this, we are the guinea pigs of this new technology. Nothing is perfect the first time out but I have little doubt this has a very bright future. I am confident that the limp mode issue is fixed with the flash that was done to my car today, I will report on what happens at my next few track days.

Bottom line is no conspiracy or bait and switch here. Posting the early idle vids was a mistake but I do not believe any of the people that worked on this program set out to deceive us.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 11/17/11 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11/17/11, 04:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Some pics

Old 11/17/11, 04:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 11/17/11, 05:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great report Scott. TracKey seems to have been a mixed bag, but I've heard nothing but good things about the guys at Ford racing.

The trip seems to have been worth it if for nothing else than shedding some light on the TK issue.

BTW, I got the exhaust plates. Thanks. My wife sent me pics of them via email asking something to the effect of "what the heck are these things?"
Old 11/17/11, 08:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
You will not find anyone that was more skeptical then me over this and I believe 100% now that the program that was marketed and in the Miller cars is the same as ours.

I can not explain why I felt a different idle in the Miller cars then I feel in my car now.
Scott, thanks for confirming this. The idle in my Boss with TK seems different when I start the car and let the lopey idle kick in vs. driving around and noticing it in traffic. To me that was similar to how the cars at TA were. I didn't notice it much, if at all, when we fired up the cars but noticed it when we pulled off the track.

It looks like you had a great time and thanks for sharing your experience and photos. Did you get to do any hot laps with Gunnar?

The new Focus STR is really cool and Ford looks to be on a nice roll. Add in the new 650 HP 202 MPH GT500 and it doesnt' get any better than this. Well until the next genertion Mustang comes out anyway.
Old 11/17/11, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Thanks Scott. You and some of the other folks here are really greate advocates of our us and our cars. If Ford wants to continue to crank out Mustangs and other products that people want, they need to get feedback from enthusiast such as yourself; not going to a shopping mall with a clipboard asking people about their next car purchase.

What makes an enthusiast, cranking out exhaust discs and mailing them out to users at a reasonalbe cost gets you 10 points in my book; really like my 3/4's.
Old 11/17/11, 09:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks guys, glad everybody is happy with the discs. I like mine where it is at also, even with the trackey I am not going to change the size.

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
It looks like you had a great time and thanks for sharing your experience and photos. Did you get to do any hot laps with Gunnar?
Ha, one seat but I would guess even it it had four seats I would not have been able to take a ride. It was really nice to be there on a non-race day. Being able to hang in the pits and garage was awesome. Nobody gave me any kind of restriction of where I could go or what I could do. It was like a track day on steroids but with people that were all experts at what the do, drivers, mechanics and so-on.

Everyone from Ford Racing, the different race teams and companies like Performance Friction were helpful and took the time to answer questions. For example the guy from Performance Friction explained about slotted rotors and I continue to run them from what he told me. It's a good day when you learn things and have a good time doing so.
Old 11/17/11, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Regarding the idle/lope: I had TK installed to my car about 2 weeks ago. After driving it on the street for a while, the idle definitely got lopier. Not as much as shown in the prototype vids but definitely lopier, shaking the car more, etc.

This morning, I had my car re-flashed (forgot to have the dealer input my track tire size the first time! ), and the idle effect is not as intense.

So I think it takes some time for the car to learn the TK idle parameters, and the car definitely needs to be hot to get the most effect out of it. Just my 0.02.
Old 11/17/11, 09:41 AM

I see Mark Wilson there in a bunch of your pics as well...

What front splitter is on your car? Is that the FRPP WC one or the MRT one?
Old 11/17/11, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I see Mark Wilson there in a bunch of your pics as well...
Yes that is Mark, he did the flash on my Boss, if anyone has the chance to meet with Mark I highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by 06GT
What front splitter is on your car? Is that the FRPP WC one or the MRT one?
The splitter is a YellowBoss industries (registered trademark/copyrighted) custom made original or in other words I cut a piece of PVC in my garage.
Old 11/17/11, 09:50 AM

The splitter is a YellowBoss industries (registered trademark/copyrighted) custom made original
haha, cool!
Old 11/17/11, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Scott, You Da Man! Great pic with Gunnar
Old 11/17/11, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Nobody gave me any kind of restriction of where I could go or what I could do.
Hell, in that case, you should have been out chasing the Focus on the track!

Yeah, Mark is a good guy. He was the one that convinced me to buy my LS.
Old 11/17/11, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line is no conspiracy or bait and switch here. Posting the early idle vids was a mistake but I do not believe any of the people that worked on this program set out to deceive us.
Did you really think that would have been the case?
Old 11/17/11, 10:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Yeah, Mark is a good guy. He was the one that convinced me to buy my LS.
You needed to be convinced?
Old 11/17/11, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Scott, thanks for this very informative post, and thanks for the work on the cut-outs. I personally appreciate it a great deal.
Old 11/17/11, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write-up, Scott, and those are great pictures! Looking forward to seeing the Focus on track next season!

So... were they able to diagnose and fix your issues?
Old 11/17/11, 12:30 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a great opportunity to hang out all day at Daytona with the guys from Ford Racing and the Multimatic team testing the new Focus STR. What a great day, I felt like a big money sponsor VIP I was invited to go because of the codes the Boss is getting on track and limp modes. I did not ask for this but was invited by a forum member here from Ford Racing. While I have not been happy with corporate Ford over handing of Trackey these past few months there can never be enough said about the dedication of the many people that work on programs like this, simply amazing.
Thank you very much for the great feedback, 2012YellowBoss! That was an awesome experience. Also, I have to add... I'm a little upset with you. You were that close to me AGAIN and I was not invited to the track, again!! It's ok though, I still like you... maybe some other time, RIGHT??

Deysha
Old 11/17/11, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Thank you very much for the great feedback, 2012YellowBoss! That was an awesome experience. Also, I have to add... I'm a little upset with you. You were that close to me AGAIN and I was not invited to the track, again!! It's ok though, I still like you... maybe some other time, RIGHT??

Deysha
Deysha where are you located ? I didn't realize you were in sunny Florida. Come to Daytona on Dec. 2nd and help me celebrate my birthday.
Old 11/17/11, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Scott, awesome news and you look like you were having a great time as evidence... Your smile in that photo. I hope to catch up with you guys for the Daytona race in January.

Quick Reply: Couldn't Find a Trackey Thread So I Will Start Another