Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/12, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The kit looks absolutely first class,...
Old 1/3/12, 05:57 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I am not offended at all by the questions!
Exactly, which is why I like asking them!
Old 1/4/12, 03:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Kendall, this kit can only accomodate one oil sensor correct? Can I T it off like we discussed before with the factory oil cooler?
Old 1/4/12, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Kendall, this kit can only accomodate one oil sensor correct? Can I T it off like we discussed before with the factory oil cooler?
The kit was designed to retain the OEM pressure sensor in it's near-stock location near the block. There is an additional sensor port - that can be used for either temperature or pressure at the thermostat housing. So, the kit allows for 2 sensors. Typically, we would envision keeping the pressure sensor at the OEM location and then using the added port at the thermostat for an oil temp sensor.
Old 1/4/12, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoldier
I PM you. Let me know what you think.
Old 1/4/12, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by boss man
I PM you. Let me know what you think.
I hit you back up. I might go that route if I decide not to go with this kit for now.
Old 1/10/12, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the case. As I stated in my original post, oil warm-up times were substantially shorter with the air-to-oil cooler. In a recent comparison we did with an ambient temp of about 55-60 degrees, the OEM car took approximately 15 minutes to get the oil to 150F. The same commute takes about 8-10 minutes to get the oil to 150F with our kit installed.

Apollo, can you help us out here? Can you give us some "average" oil warm-up times from your car BEFORE we install this kit?
OK, not scientific, but I repeated this two different times from complete cold engine. Both days it was just under 60 degrees out. I drove the car easily around town shifting frequently. In 5 minutes I was at 180 degrees water temp on the first test, second time it took closer to 8 minutes to reach 180 water temp. In both cases, the oil temp was still pegged on cold. It took an additional 10 minutes for my car to get to 130 degrees oil temp on the first run for a total of 15 minutes for oil warm up. The second test it took an additional 12 minutes to get to 130, so 20 minutes for oil to get to temp.
Old 1/11/12, 02:15 AM
V6 Member

Just out of curiosity, what oil and water temps were you guys seeing on track with the grill removed. I seem to recall you said water stabilized around 230 but you never stated what oil temps were. I am asking because I am trying to decide what oil to use on track days in the hot Houston summers. I am leaning towards something a little more stout than Motorcraft 5W50 that shears to a light 40 weight.
Old 1/11/12, 02:17 AM
Cobra Member

The only reason y I wouldn't do that, if you have an engine failure & they test yr oil. They can void your warranty on that basis
Old 1/11/12, 02:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
The only reason y I wouldn't do that, if you have an engine failure & they test yr oil. They can void your warranty on that basis
I have heard of rare cases of voiding the warranty for not using a factory fill but have never heard of them testing the oil, a simple UOA wouldn't tell them if one was running factory fill or not. I just find it unlikely that they would actually test the oil. Especially if you have receipts for the factory fill dated and mileage marked for the changes. There are just better, more shear resistant oils that hold up to the high temperatures likely to be seen at the track than Motorcraft 5w50. This dumb WSS-M2C931-B spec that only 2 other hard to find oils seem to meet is retarded. Companies don't want to pay the fee to have oils certified to meet Fords silly spec and there are plenty that will meet or exceed it.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, I may be ending up with this nice looking oil cooler due to the Hot Texas summers and track days. I will just have to see what my oil temperatures look like.
Old 1/11/12, 03:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you tracked the car down there last summer or at all yet? If no then I would just wait and see what issues, if any, you have. I am in the SE and it gets hot as well.... I went into limp mode a few times because of getting to hot, and when I didn't I was right on the line. So for me I need cooling help. It seems the people that have the most issues are those at high elevation and those that really push the car hard in very hot weather. Being in Texas you have a good chance of having an issue. I would start with a grill mod for sure and then go from there. So some searching there is a ton of information on this topic. I do think the CoolTech oil cooler will be a big benefit, and I have added it to my future mod list...

Last edited by adam81; 1/11/12 at 05:19 AM.
Old 1/11/12, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
Have you tracked the car down there last summer or at all yet? If no then I would just wait and see what issues, if any, you have. I am in the SE and it gets hot as well.... I went into limp mode a few times because of getting to hot, and when I didn't I was right on the line. So for me I need cooling help. It seems the people that have the most issues are those at high elevation and those that really push the car hard in very hot weather. Being in Texas you have a good chance of having an issue. I would start with a grill mod for sure and then go from there. So some searching there is a ton of information on this topic. I do think the CoolTech oil cooler will be a big benefit, and I have added it to my future mod list...
My plan was to wait and see how it does. I just got the car on the 29th and my first track day in the car will be at the end of the month, this is not my first track day by any means. I suspect temperatures will be in the 50s to 60s so I doubt the cooling problems are likely to show up.
Old 1/11/12, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tracked the car down there last summer or at all yet? If no then I would just wait and see what issues, if any, you have. I am in the SE and it gets hot as well.... I went into limp mode a few times because of getting to hot, and when I didn't I was right on the line. So for me I need cooling help. It seems the people that have the most issues are those at high elevation and those that really push the car hard in very hot weather. Being in Texas you have a good chance of having an issue. I would start with a grill mod for sure and then go from there.
This is very good advice. The grill mod is really a pre-requisite. You can choose to leave it OEM and simply remove it on track days or make some "opening" modifications and leave it on full time. Just as a data point, when we had several Boss'es up at MMP at 4000' and 90 degree temps, completely opening up the fog light openings was not enough - but removing the grill seemed to do the trick. The "trick" being that it kept most of us out of limp mode - but we all longed for more reasonable oil and water temps from an engine longevity perspective.

Maybe Ford got the idea not to include an oil temp gauge from the military's don't ask don't tell policy? Oil (and water) temps as others have said have a lot to do with the driver as well as the track. We did see 300+ oil temps on the OEM cars when the cars were driven by aggresive drivers at high rpms. Other drivers (notably one of the most experienced and fastest drivers who works for a large car manufacturer) DID NOT drive the oil temps this high and he was likely even faster than the previous person. His style was such that he was often one gear higher and using the broad flat torque of the car.
Old 1/11/12, 02:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bolecailey

My plan was to wait and see how it does. I just got the car on the 29th and my first track day in the car will be at the end of the month, this is not my first track day by any means. I suspect temperatures will be in the 50s to 60s so I doubt the cooling problems are likely to show up.
Where do you run? I have a KB Boss and run at Grandsport in Hitchcock. But probably wont be back out until April
Old 1/11/12, 05:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Where do you run? I have a KB Boss and run at Grandsport in Hitchcock. But probably wont be back out until April
The lotus owners of south texas will be hosting one on the 28th at Grandsport, and the M club is hosting one in February, I forgot the date. I am planning on going to the one on the 28th unless something changes.

My car is Kona Blue as well, I have yet to see another Boss on the road yet. What part of town are you in?
Old 1/11/12, 05:49 PM

The lotus owners of south texas will be hosting one on the 28th at Grandsport, and the M club is hosting one in February, I forgot the date. I am planning on going to the one on the 28th unless something changes.

My car is Kona Blue as well, I have yet to see another Boss on the road yet. What part of town are you in?
I split my time between the woodlands and south of washington ave. The Boss is normally at the place off washington. I also have not seen another Boss anywhere around Houston. Cant make it on the 28th. I'll let you know when I go out next. There is a Westside Mustang meet at Tommy Vaughn Ford on Shepherd at 7am Saturday Jan 21st. I am planning on that, would be cool to have 2 KB Bosses there if you could make it.
Old 1/11/12, 06:31 PM
V6 Member

This is very good advice. The grill mod is really a pre-requisite. You can choose to leave it OEM and simply remove it on track days or make some "opening" modifications and leave it on full time. Just as a data point, when we had several Boss'es up at MMP at 4000' and 90 degree temps, completely opening up the fog light openings was not enough - but removing the grill seemed to do the trick. The "trick" being that it kept most of us out of limp mode - but we all longed for more reasonable oil and water temps from an engine longevity perspective.

Maybe Ford got the idea not to include an oil temp gauge from the military's don't ask don't tell policy? Oil (and water) temps as others have said have a lot to do with the driver as well as the track. We did see 300+ oil temps on the OEM cars when the cars were driven by aggresive drivers at high rpms. Other drivers (notably one of the most experienced and fastest drivers who works for a large car manufacturer) DID NOT drive the oil temps this high and he was likely even faster than the previous person. His style was such that he was often one gear higher and using the broad flat torque of the car.
Thats what I was looking for, thanks.

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I split my time between the woodlands and south of washington ave. The Boss is normally at the place off washington. I also have not seen another Boss anywhere around Houston. Cant make it on the 28th. I'll let you know when I go out next. There is a Westside Mustang meet at Tommy Vaughn Ford on Shepherd at 7am Saturday Jan 21st. I am planning on that, would be cool to have 2 KB Bosses there if you could make it.
I am in the Clearlake area. I might try to make it out there but probably won't as I start my 4 day set of night shifts at 4:00pm on Saturday so I will probably be sleeping in. How long are they usually there for?

Last edited by bolecailey; 1/11/12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 1/11/12, 09:48 PM

Thats what I was looking for, thanks.

I am in the Clearlake area. I might try to make it out there but probably won't as I start my 4 day set of night shifts at 4:00pm on Saturday so I will probably be sleeping in. How long are they usually there for?
Will be my first time but I think it is 7:30am - 9am

Last edited by phiggs54; 1/11/12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 3/15/12, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I just sprung for the thermosatically controlled oil cooler, this should be my last mod...............
Old 3/15/12, 08:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by GT_350
I just sprung for the thermosatically controlled oil cooler, this should be my last mod...............
Famous last words memorialized forever.

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!