Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/12, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!

Our oil cooler kit for the 2012+ Boss Mustangs (and 2011+ Mustang GTs) is now available. The addition of this air to oil cooler to replace the OEM water to oil cooler provides a unique, independent cooling system for the engine's oil. This reduces the burden on the stock cooling system to cool the engine oil and will aid in providing improved (lower) water temps in hot-weather track conditions. This cooler kit can also benenfit Boss owners who frequently drive their cars in cold weather. With the incorporation of an oil thermostat (which OEM Boss engines do not have), oil warm-up times are substantially reduced. The kit ships complete. System oil capacity is increased by 1.3 quarts.

Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!-bossockit_640x480.jpg

A complete description and ordering info can be found here:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Oil_Cooler.shtml
Old 1/1/12, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

First off that kit looks very high quality! Couple questions:

Do you have any data that shows drop in coolant temp on the track with this kit?

Do you have any data that shows oil temperature on track with before and after kit?

What is the loss of pressure with the kit?

Thanks
Old 1/1/12, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

looks great! I like that you went with the high quality stuff.
Old 1/1/12, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you have any data that shows drop in coolant temp on the track with this kit?

Do you have any data that shows oil temperature on track with before and after kit?
From discussions with some very knowledgeable people, the main challenge with the OEM Boss engine in warm-weather track conditions is that there is no upper plateau for oil and water temps. In our (OEM) testing on a 90F day, we saw coolant temps as high as 240 and oil temps in excess of 300 - resulting in limp-mode. The longer duration the track sessions, the worse both temps became. With this oil cooler, we saw 220-230 degree max water temps and oil temps at a max of 280 degrees. These observations aside, it is admittedly hard to get super accurate (comparable) data. First, the OEM car computes water temps (no direct measurement) and only the LS models can display this computed value. However, we could datalog the computed value. Oil temps were even harder. On the OEM car, the oil pressure sensor port is AFTER the cooler whereas in our kit, we use the more conventional method of measuring oil temps at peak (input) to the cooler.

In summary, I wish we were able to publish something a bit more scientific but despite our best intentions, we don't have the precision we would like. We do know that at least one other respected manufacturer is slated to announce a similar (air to oil) solution and we will let owners evaluate the components utilized and make their own decisions. In addition, as the weather starts to warm again here in Southern California, we hope to be able to update you with more concrete data.

What is the loss of pressure with the kit?
Again we selected only the best available components. From discussions with these "very knowledgable people" we were very sensitive to the pressure drop specs of the heat exchanger. Below, I include a link to Setrab's specs. We have incorporated the Setrab 50-172 into our kit and you can see it's about the best there is in flow capability. Note that most heat exchanger manufacturers do not make their specifications available.

http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Applica...ons_112610.pdf
Old 1/1/12, 02:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Very nice. How much time will it take for a typical install?
Old 1/1/12, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks like a very nice product.

Do you have any experience running the FRPP FL-820 oil filter (either with or without the oil cooler kit)? Do you have any recommendations for or against it?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7567
Old 1/1/12, 03:00 PM
GT Member

Great news on the cooler, will probably be one of your first customers.
Berol I run the Ford racing oil filter exclusively now as all reports and options are favorable, you can see the quality of the seal and feel the heft vs a standard 820S or FL 500.
Steve
Old 1/1/12, 09:46 PM
V6 Member

Ordered mine and awaiting install!
Old 1/1/12, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks great. Will put this on the list for when I can get around to going track-only.
Old 1/2/12, 04:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
From discussions with some very knowledgeable people, the main challenge with the OEM Boss engine in warm-weather track conditions is that there is no upper plateau for oil and water temps. In our (OEM) testing on a 90F day, we saw coolant temps as high as 240 and oil temps in excess of 300 - resulting in limp-mode. The longer duration the track sessions, the worse both temps became.
I experienced the same with my stock LS. On VERY hot days down here in the SE I had experienced limp mode from overheating. It only took one cool down lap, mostly from shifting early and keeping the revs down, and the car quickly came down in temps. For the rest of those days I tried to keep the car roughly 750 rpms or a little less away from redline and never had another issue with limp mode. However it was close....

With this oil cooler, we saw 220-230 degree max water temps and oil temps at a max of 280 degrees. These observations aside, it is admittedly hard to get super accurate (comparable) data.
Understand. Where these measurements with an otherwise stock car (to include removal of the front grill) or...? Do you have ambient temps from the days you got this data?

In summary, I wish we were able to publish something a bit more scientific but despite our best intentions, we don't have the precision we would like. We do know that at least one other respected manufacturer is slated to announce a similar (air to oil) solution and we will let owners evaluate the components utilized and make their own decisions. In addition, as the weather starts to warm again here in Southern California, we hope to be able to update you with more concrete data.

I think most people will be interested to know what the stock temps (oil, water) and oil pressure are. Then the same with the CoolTech oil cooler installed. Selfishly I am okay with the test of the CoolTech oil cooler done with the 302s hood and grill . Sidenote: please do next round of testing on a VERY hot day (90 and up). The stock system shows it's limits in high temps and high elevations.

Again we selected only the best available components. From discussions with these "very knowledgable people" we were very sensitive to the pressure drop specs of the heat exchanger. Below, I include a link to Setrab's specs. We have incorporated the Setrab 50-172 into our kit and you can see it's about the best there is in flow capability. Note that most heat exchanger manufacturers do not make their specifications available.

http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Applica...ons_112610.pdf
I need some clarification on the chart. Is it saying that JUST the Setrab cooler itself will cause a drop of .8 to 1 psi of oil pressure (this is not including the lines, distance oil has to travel, etc) or....??? Oil pressure is a concern because something related to the cams is operated directly from oil pressure. I also talked to Dean Martin at Rehagen and he confirmed the importance of oil pressure and even went as far to say the factory recommended oil weight is needed.

This kit seems to be made of very high quality parts. I have no questions there . Fortunately (or not depending on how you look at it...) I have time for more data. If not I would most likely already have it ordered.... Thank you for bringing it to market . In for more data....
Old 1/2/12, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I can tell you that the cooler works .I have reliable sources that tested the system.
I will be putting one on my 2013 as well as a drive shaft.
Nice work Kendal!
Old 1/2/12, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
I
This kit seems to be made of very high quality parts. I have no questions there . Fortunately (or not depending on how you look at it...) I have time for more data. If not I would most likely already have it ordered.... Thank you for bringing it to market . In for more data....
I know Data will be great to have but a couple of key points about the development as I know it. The Ford engineers were in contact with Kendall to share data and information in the development of their own system that is now on the market. Kendall has added a thermostat which the Ford unit does not have because Ford feels the oil cooler would be only purchased by the serious track guys. Kendall, like he always does, wanted the best no compromise solution so he developed one that would actually give improvements in day to day use too and would actually be a better solution for the oil pressure since the stock car takes forever to get oil to temp. My opinion is this will actually serve to help prolong the life of the car even without using it for hot track sessions.
Old 1/2/12, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
1+ on this outstanding oil cooler! Kendall you realy did your homework working with Ford. Keep up the quality work.

Old 1/2/12, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Install Instructions Available?

Kendall,
Do you have Installations Instructions available, either a .pdf or at your website to see just what is involved in the installation process? Thanks
Old 1/2/12, 10:47 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Apollo
Kendall, like he always does, wanted the best no compromise solution so he developed one that would actually give improvements in day to day use too and would actually be a better solution for the oil pressure since the stock car takes forever to get oil to temp. My opinion is this will actually serve to help prolong the life of the car even without using it for hot track sessions.
My understanding of the info coming from the Boss engineers was that the coolant actually heats the oil when the car is warming up. In this respect, this would make it a better system than an air-to-oil system with a thermostat.

Kendall, do you have data on oil temps during warm up for the stock system vs. this one?
Old 1/2/12, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

My understanding of the info coming from the Boss engineers was that the coolant actually heats the oil when the car is warming up. In this respect, this would make it a better system than an air-to-oil system with a thermostat.
This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the case. As I stated in my original post, oil warm-up times were substantially shorter with the air-to-oil cooler. In a recent comparison we did with an ambient temp of about 55-60 degrees, the OEM car took approximately 15 minutes to get the oil to 150F. The same commute takes about 8-10 minutes to get the oil to 150F with our kit installed.

Apollo, can you help us out here? Can you give us some "average" oil warm-up times from your car BEFORE we install this kit?
Old 1/3/12, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Let me be clear here. I am a VERY detail oriented person. My questions and curiosity are extremely specific to actual data. I have no doubt that this kit is better than what comes stock when we talk about oil temps. I personally do not buy parts for my vehicles unless I know for certain what I am and am not getting and ALL the changes it will make to the car.

To all, and especially Kendall. This is in no way an attack on the product and I hope it didn't come off that way. I am just curious about a few things and figured others would have the same questions so I posted. My questions are mostly what was going on during the tests (temps, mods, pressue, etc) both stock and with the CoolTech cooler. Asnwers to my questions will require very specific testing. This is in no way to challenge what was done, how it was done, or the results. Just questions...

Again I applaud CoolTech for bringing another well made quality product to the market. These guys are by far the most open and honest company when it comes to their own products and testing. I have said this before....

In for more data
Old 1/3/12, 08:51 AM
FR500 Member

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT the case. As I stated in my original post, oil warm-up times were substantially shorter with the air-to-oil cooler. In a recent comparison we did with an ambient temp of about 55-60 degrees, the OEM car took approximately 15 minutes to get the oil to 150F. The same commute takes about 8-10 minutes to get the oil to 150F with our kit installed.

Apollo, can you help us out here? Can you give us some "average" oil warm-up times from your car BEFORE we install this kit?
Thanks for the info Kendall. Much appreciated.
Old 1/3/12, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

**** it. There goes my daughters college tuition again.
Old 1/3/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Adam and Chris - No worries at all from me regarding the questions. This is the trouble with email/forums (writing versus talking) is that we can be easily mistaken. Each of you are asking good questions and I try to answer as best I can.... I am not offended at all by the questions!

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Oil Cooler - Now Available!