Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

cold air intake with track key?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/12, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air intake with track key?

Is anybody running a cai with the track key tune, and if so which one and what gains have you seen? I am at a national MCA show this weekend and there are a couple of guys running an airaid intake that they said, "requires no tune or re flash, and is good for 16HP." This is the first I have heard of this. I dunno maybe I have been living with my head under a rock. Anyway look forward to hearing what everyone else is running.
Old 3/24/12, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I am not aware of a single INDEPENDENT or owner-verified HP benefit from the installation of any of the aftermarket CAI on the Boss 302. (You do know that the OEM configuration is a true, cold air intake, right?) Anyway some aftermarket CAI's DO come with a tune where HP claims are made. To me, this is equivalent to offering replacement windshield wipers that will add 20HP..... along with an asterisk that says a tune is required. It's conceivable that a tune will add HP (at what trade-off?) but I remain a skeptic on ANY CAI's..... for the trivial reason that we have NEVER seen an independent verification of any results. (Seen plenty of claims from the manufacturers, however!)

The last part of your question: To date, no one has offered a tune that works in conjunction with Track Key. In other words, if you take a custom tune from someone then track key is no more. (Others, please correct if this is not true.)
Old 3/24/12, 08:24 AM
GT Member

Someone on another forums told me he has track key and a custom tune with a larger throttle body. Problem he says is with the tune and throttle body it's pumping more fuel and air in to get the hp gain. If he uses track key it does not recognize the tune and will cause a lean condition resulting in melt down.

So until someone can crack the track key side of the PCM, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 3/24/12, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
I am not aware of a single INDEPENDENT or owner-verified HP benefit from the installation of any of the aftermarket CAI on the Boss 302. (You do know that the OEM configuration is a true, cold air intake, right?) Anyway some aftermarket CAI's DO come with a tune where HP claims are made. To me, this is equivalent to offering replacement windshield wipers that will add 20HP..... along with an asterisk that says a tune is required. It's conceivable that a tune will add HP (at what trade-off?) but I remain a skeptic on ANY CAI's..... for the trivial reason that we have NEVER seen an independent verification of any results. (Seen plenty of claims from the manufacturers, however!)

The last part of your question: To date, no one has offered a tune that works in conjunction with Track Key. In other words, if you take a custom tune from someone then track key is no more. (Others, please correct if this is not true.)
Where do I find the windshield wiper that adds 20hp??!!!
Old 3/24/12, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy

Where do I find the windshield wiper that adds 20hp??!!!
Kendall, how much are you charging for the 20 HP windshields wipers
Old 3/24/12, 10:26 AM

Maybe we can get in on a group buy? I'd be in for a few sets.
Old 3/24/12, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I guess we all been looking for HP in the wrong places. It was right in front of our windshield. If I run a longer blade will my HP gains be better??
Old 3/24/12, 12:28 PM

+1 and I would add that unless you open up the sizing from the filter all the way through the MAF and up past the intake plenum most of the modern intakes on these cars will perform as good or even better than the aftermarket...Oh 1 more thing it does change the sound of the car and if you like that gulping raw intake sound there are ways of modifying the stock intake to achieve a similar sound.
(the sound you just heard was me ducking, knowing that there is a camp out there that strongly believes in the CAI)

Old 3/24/12, 07:22 PM

There was mainly one guy that was arguing with me today that it was perfectly fine to run his cai while also running his track key. I can only imagine how lean that thing is running.
Old 3/24/12, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to do a CAI with TK, but decided to add stickers for my HP gain. Less risk.
Old 3/24/12, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro
I was going to do a CAI with TK, but decided to add stickers for my HP gain. Less risk.
LOL!
Old 3/25/12, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm still leaning toward the Kooks header and exhaust system when I eventually look to add hp. What would be nice is if someone could crack TK just to shut off the rear O2s so I could go with the off-road H-pipe for maximum gains but without throwing a CEL.
Old 3/25/12, 11:12 AM

I spoke to some very reputable sources yesterday here at the national mca show that Told me the tk custom tuning is coming soon. I was told that sct is working hard to make this happen mainly because the 2013 gt will have a tk option. Oh and one other little tidbit, he also told me that he works closely with ford and GM and GM has told him that their ls program that they have going in the new zl1 platform is completly maxed out and they are even worried about warranty. On the other hand Ford has told him that they are just scratching the surface on the potential that lies inside the coyote/roadrunner platform. Great time to be a Ford fan and owner!
Old 3/25/12, 11:53 AM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by Chris23
I spoke to some very reputable sources yesterday here at the national mca show that Told me the tk custom tuning is coming soon. I was told that sct is working hard to make this happen mainly because the 2013 gt will have a tk option. Oh and one other little tidbit, he also told me that he works closely with ford and GM and GM has told him that their ls program that they have going in the new zl1 platform is completly maxed out and they are even worried about warranty. On the other hand Ford has told him that they are just scratching the surface on the potential that lies inside the coyote/roadrunner platform. Great time to be a Ford fan and owner!
I haven't heard anything about a Track Key for the 2013 GT, and the 2013's are already out. Maybe he meant Track Package, which is the torsen diff, oil cooler, and radiator? As far as I know, Ford will just offer the Procal tune for the 2013 GT's same as the 2011-2012's.
Old 3/25/12, 12:16 PM

I don't want to put there name out here on the site since they are members here and when he told me this stuff he also said that this was straight from Ford and that they have not released this info to the public yet. They are a very reputable company who I would trust, so we will just have to wait and see.
Old 3/25/12, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I'm still leaning toward the Kooks header and exhaust system when I eventually look to add hp. What would be nice is if someone could crack TK just to shut off the rear O2s so I could go with the off-road H-pipe for maximum gains but without throwing a CEL.
Gary,
Couldn't you just weld a threaded sleeve/nut to receive the O2 sensors on the pipes of the headers/exhaust?
Old 3/25/12, 03:59 PM
RTD
GT Member

I don't want to put there name out here on the site since they are members here and when he told me this stuff he also said that this was straight from Ford and that they have not released this info to the public yet. They are a very reputable company who I would trust, so we will just have to wait and see.
You sure he wasn't talking about 2014's? That might make more sense if the 2013 is the last year of the Boss.
Old 3/25/12, 04:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by chief_charlie
Gary,
Couldn't you just weld a threaded sleeve/nut to receive the O2 sensors on the pipes of the headers/exhaust?
You'd probably still get a P0420 from rear one (post cat)
Old 3/25/12, 05:50 PM

RTD, I know what he told me and he was talking about the 13s. He was saying that because of the track key becoming available for the gts they are really pushing hard to crack the code, since this would expand the market ten fold.
Old 3/25/12, 06:20 PM
RTD
GT Member

RTD, I know what he told me and he was talking about the 13s. He was saying that because of the track key becoming available for the gts they are really pushing hard to crack the code, since this would expand the market ten fold.
Ok, thanks for the info. Hope they make it public soon.

I am racking my brain trying to decide between a 2013 Boss vs a 2013 Base GT + Track Pack + Recaros, and this would certainly sway me towards the latter.

Quick Reply: cold air intake with track key?