2012-2013 BOSS 302

Clutch on the Floor?

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/12, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali-Nt54
We have the same trans, but a different clutch. There was some one on another forum that had a similar problem and what he did was change out one of the clutch lines.
If he means the same clutch and tranny as a GT500,.....that would be a no,......we dont !.... and I have wished FORD did use the same clutch and tranny.

OOPS!.....sorry, someone already pointed it out. Should of continued reading.

Last edited by cf6mech; 4/23/12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
These shifting/clutch/trans issues just keep popping up. I had it happen last summer and it was a failed clutch. In my case the pedal stayed down and it wouldn't disengage. I was locked out of going into any gear. Once stopped with the car turned off I could shift the trans into first. I restarted the car and it surged forward even though the clutch was fully depressed so obviously the clutch wasn't disengaging. Once I got it to the dealer, we found a spring had been ripped from the clutch plate and lodged in between the pressure plate preventing it from releasing. My car currently shifts just fine even on the track, but there seem to be an unusually high number of incidents like yours. Hopefully they've found a fix and made a running change to the design.
That broken clutch disk looks just like the broken clutch disks from the 1999 7.3l diesel and if I remember correctly same manufacture (valee). Ford came out with 2 change ups and in the latest & greatest you could not see the damper springs. The cause was an inherit vibration @ 2600 rpm or about 130 kph(80 mph).
Old 4/24/12, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
"Clutch on the Floor"

Hmm, Is that like "Pants on the Ground"?

Kidding aside, I know you must be disappointed, but as I've always told people, if there is defective part from the factory, you're likely going to find it within the first 30-days or so.

One puzzling thing though, I'm not sure how a transmission issue would be related to the clutch staying on the floor.. The clutch pedal staying on the floor would only happen if something messed up within the clutch/pressure plate assembly (as pictured in posts above), but the transmission itself ..
I'm no expert but if I had to guess the pressure plate or slave cylinder was bad and trying to shift into 2nd and 5th is what acctually destroyed the trans......
Just my guess!
The tech working on my car said one hard miss shift (Which can be caused by a faulty pressure plate or slave cylinder)can destroy these transmissions.I can testify I only hit second hard once and it went POP!!!!!
Old 4/24/12, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has happened twice to me. I was still able to shift though, the pedal just hardly had any motion to it. Had to drive around and pump the pedal some for it to go away. When i went to the dealer they said they wanted to take the Tranny apart but i didnt have time that day and this is my only car. I changed the brake fluid and haven't had any problems since (fingers crossed)
Old 4/24/12, 01:51 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
At what RPM's is this happening? Sounds like the stock clutch hanging up at hight rpms. Could be a slave/tob issue but sounds like a weak stock clutch.
Old 4/24/12, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

For me both were after braking from 80+ to 40. Then when I shifted gears after slowing the clutch pedal didn't return for about 5 minutes. Still had a little bit of travel and I was to shift gears with no increase in effort, the pedal just wouldn't return.
Old 4/24/12, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
At what RPM's is this happening? Sounds like the stock clutch hanging up at hight rpms. Could be a slave/tob issue but sounds like a weak stock clutch.
WOT 7000+
Old 4/24/12, 04:43 PM
GT Member

We had this discussion before and I am going to find out real soon. Picking up the car tomorrow with a RAM dual disc organic clutch, probably overkill, so the next track outing will tell the story. Somebody needed to jump in front of bus and I elected to do it.

Peter
Old 4/24/12, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OLOABoss
We had this discussion before and I am going to find out real soon. Picking up the car tomorrow with a RAM dual disc organic clutch, probably overkill, so the next track outing will tell the story. Somebody needed to jump in front of bus and I elected to do it.

Peter
I didn't realize a clutch cost so much.
I expected about the same price as a shifter 350 to 400..........my tuner said to a halfway decent one your looking at 800+ on up to 2400 depending on what you want.

I have never had to replace a clutch...............Kind of pricey
I may just go back with the stock clutch and go with a Barton Shifter.
Old 4/24/12, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Peter
I didn't realize a clutch cost so much.
I expected about the same price as a shifter 350 to 400..........my tuner said to a halfway decent one your looking at 800+ on up to 2400 depending on what you want.

I have never had to replace a clutch...............Kind of pricey
I may just go back with the stock clutch and go with a Barton Shifter.
Old 4/24/12, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Sorry about the re post................
Old 4/24/12, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
For me both were after braking from 80+ to 40. Then when I shifted gears after slowing the clutch pedal didn't return for about 5 minutes. Still had a little bit of travel and I was to shift gears with no increase in effort, the pedal just wouldn't return.
That sounds like a fluid temp issue. I would try fluid upgrade.
Old 4/24/12, 08:13 PM

Peter
Does the boss come stock with dual disk clutch set ups? I know the Shelby does. If its just a single disk, a spec 2+ or 3+ will be way more than enough clutch.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 4/24/12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 4/25/12, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

That sounds like a fluid temp issue. I would try fluid upgrade.
That was my thought too. I bled the brakes and clutch lines and replaced with Motul RBF 600. Still need to get to the track this year and see if I have any problems. If it still happens I may try the shims behind the pads to see if it reduces heat transfer.
Old 4/26/12, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Went by the dealership last night and the tools to tear the trans apart still have not showed up!
While I was there I had the tech pull the clutch so I could inspect it. It looked perfect but we did notice the bearing in front of the slave cylinder was very lose, I could wiggle it 1/4 inch front to back while it was on the trans. The tech thinks it had a faulty slave cylinder from the factory.

I told him from day one there was a vibration/noise coming from the shifter but I just wrote it off as a cheap shifter. He seems to think it was this bearing all along.

Last edited by c6dreamvette; 4/26/12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 5/3/12, 11:53 AM
GT Member

New Trans approved

Ford has approved a new Transmittion for my car instead of rebuilding the old one..................
This is Great news
Old 5/3/12, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Where is this airport that you speak of? I have to go there when I cme home on leave!
Old 5/7/12, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Where is this airport that you speak of? I have to go there when I cme home on leave!
Mineral Wells Tx
Old 5/8/12, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

interesting.... my car had sat for the last 4 months while i was at sea, the other night i was ummm having some fun with a vet , and had the issue going from 4-5 at WOT over 7000RPMS will try it out again soon to see if its still an issue
Old 5/9/12, 07:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
interesting.... my car had sat for the last 4 months while i was at sea, the other night i was ummm having some fun with a vet , and had the issue going from 4-5 at WOT over 7000RPMS will try it out again soon to see if its still an issue
If you break it they will fix it...........I'm getting a brand new transmittion put in today and my Barton Shifter should also be here today

It took a little bit of complaining and griping but none the less I have a new Trans and not a rebuilt one!

Quick Reply: Clutch on the Floor?