Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Clear Bra or Not to Clear Bra for track

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/11, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra or Not to Clear Bra for track

Please chime in here to help me finalize plans for a clear bra package for my Boss. I like the idea of protecting my CO paint on the Boss in preparation for the track and for highway driving. I do have some reservations based on the fact that it slightly hides the depth of the color where the 3m product/toughfilm is applied. And I am concerned about wax build-up at the seams.

What are your experiences?

Also, what did it cost you for product including installation. I am being quoted $625 for a package that is beyond the basic that includes 30" on the hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors. Is this on par for an expert installation?
Old 12/15/11, 10:24 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

You haven't made up your mind yet? Just do it and don't look back. I paid $595 for basically the same coverage.
Old 12/15/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Just do it and don't look back. I paid $595 for basically the same coverage.
+1!

I paid a little bit more than that to get the painted portion of the grill, 14" across the front of the roof and the A-pillars.
Old 12/15/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I opted against it, only bc of your earlier stated issues. An option for track days or long highway runs is roadwrap.com. You can get their stuff at half the cost at pep boys. It worked great for my track days. 625 is an avg deal for the 30"hood pack. You want to look into the new self healing vinyl if you do choose to wrap it though
Old 12/15/11, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

Smile clear bra

I highly recomend a clear bra, have been installing them on my vehicles for 10 years have never had a issue with wax build up at the seam, always use the recomended clear bra wax on the bra, never had any issues with them other than when removing them and that is on the plastic bumper cover part, or on any stripes that you have it applied over, it will take stripes off when you remove it, and it has taken a few small chips out of the bumper cover when I removed it from my 06 GT to replace my deterorated silver stripes [a commopn problem on silver stripes], any way my opinion is that the benifits far out way any negatives, like being able to see the seam slightly, as far as paint color issues, your car will fade over time but not under the clear bra, have never noticed any change of color appearance with it applied, make sure you use a good experianced installer, that is probably the most important part and keeping the proper wax on it
Old 12/15/11, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the clear bra. You can hardly see it on my car and I used the 3M brand. Did the install myself though, so it cost $200 for the material only. No issues with wax either. I would recommend that you install it on the leading edge of the roof line and the pillars too.
Old 12/15/11, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
You haven't made up your mind yet? Just do it and don't look back. I paid $595 for basically the same coverage.
It is true it is the only Track Prep task I have had trouble deciding what to do.

I had no trouble about (with expert advice) about :-) rims, tires, break pads, break fluid, gas cap, number decals. But i find myself undecided and my scheduled track day is getting closer.

However, I feel more convinced with this level of advice. Thanks. ;-)
Old 12/15/11, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Definately do it. I've had it on my last 4 cars and will continue to get it on every one I get. I don't get wax build up even with black paint.
Old 12/15/11, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jskup1
Definately do it. I've had it on my last 4 cars and will continue to get it on every one I get. I don't get wax build up even with black paint.
Wow, even with black paint OK, that is good news. And this installer is very experienced and even asked me if I wanted a loaner car for a day. Suppose it is not an LS haha!
Old 12/15/11, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I do every leading edge on all my cars.The stuff is great ! You can't go wrong.
Old 12/15/11, 04:45 PM
GT Member

I did it for the first time on my car. I did the side mirrors and whole front clip (bumper, fenders, entire hood, head lights) because I didn't like the seeing the edge of the film for the "bra". For the bra, I was also quoted around $600, but for the entire hood and fender, it was considerably more. The installers were also able roll the edge of the film underneath the panel in a lot of places, so the edge isn't even visible.

I'm not sure if this picture helps much, but I've never received a comment from anyone telling me that they notice the clear bra on my car...
Old 12/15/11, 05:48 PM

Does anyone know where I can get that 3G film put on my car in the Chicagoland area? Thanks fir any help.
Old 12/15/11, 05:57 PM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by kirkstang
Does anyone know where I can get that 3G film put on my car in the Chicagoland area? Thanks fir any help.

http://www.clearguardforcars.com/ Give this a try he has done a couple cars for me and been real happy.
Old 12/15/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SoCalBoss
I did it for the first time on my car. I did the side mirrors and whole front clip (bumper, fenders, entire hood, head lights) because I didn't like the seeing the edge of the film for the "bra". For the bra, I was also quoted around $600, but for the entire hood and fender, it was considerably more. The installers were also able roll the edge of the film underneath the panel in a lot of places, so the edge isn't even visible.

I'm not sure if this picture helps much, but I've never received a comment from anyone telling me that they notice the clear bra on my car...
oh I can totally see it. just kidding.
Old 12/15/11, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have one on mine, why would you NOT do it?
Old 12/16/11, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Have one on mine, why would you NOT do it?
I can see it! Freaks me out a bit, wish I had enough funds to hide the edges. But i will most likely have the car done... I think an obvious ding would make me cry.
Old 12/16/11, 09:08 AM

If your tracking don't forget the front of the roof.
Old 12/16/11, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

i don't like the look of that stuff personally. i can tell at a car show which cars have the clear bra and which don't, it would bug me more than a few scattered rock chips. A vial of ford touch up paint and a little time and you hardly notice the chips.

My track preps well and blows all the rocks off the track, i haven't been hit with one even running bumper to bumper. I'd rather risk a small chip that might bother me when i see it than walk up to the car and not like it every day because of the bra material. i may be the only one that thinks that way though.
Old 12/17/11, 12:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
No, I hate seeing clear bra on nice cars as well. Especially if it's been out in the sun and the clear bra is turning yellow. I'm with you - I'd rather have a few small chips than a cloudy looking bumper.
Old 12/17/11, 12:00 PM
GT Member

If you maintain it by keeping it clean and waxing at the recommended interval (my instructions said 2 months), then it is less likely to discolor.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra or Not to Clear Bra for track