Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Classing Info for Boss Owners for SCCA Solo2/Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classing Info for Boss Owners for SCCA Solo2/Autocross

I have been seeing in the posts that some SCCA regions do not yet know how to classify the Boss since it is new and not in the published 2011 SCCA Solo2 rules book.

Here is what you need to classify the Boss 302:

Boss 302 is A-Stock class
(A-stock contains the Porsche Cayman as most competitive car in class, the Boss I think cannot compete well in this class)

Boss 302 LS is excluded from stock classes

Both Boss 302 and Boss 302 LS are eligible for ESP class
(E-Street Prepared - this is the only place where I have seen them at National tour events) This is where I plan to race.

LINKS to Documents:

Here is the link to the stock classing notification in the June issue SCCA Fastrac News
http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...track-june.pdf

Page 21 reads:
TECH BULLETINS
1. Stock: Errors and Omissions: The Ford Mustang Boss 302 is presently classed in AS. The Boss 302 Laguna Seca is presently on the Stock exclusion list.

Here is the link to the April issue for ESP classing
http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...rack-april.pdf

Page 24 TECH BULLETINS section reads:
2. Street Prepared: The **** has recommended and the SEB has approved the following update to the “Mustang (S197 Chassis) listing in ESP:
Mustang (S197 Chassis) 2005-2012 (NOC including Boss 302 and Leguna Seca) (3489, 3939)
note: NOC = Not Otherwise Classified

Isuggest you print the relevant page to help classify your car to avoid any arguments. (most registrars know the rule books, but some don't print and memorize the tech bulletins for added cars in each class)

The complete 2011 rule book can be downloaded at www.SCCA.com in the Solo2 section.
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61
or
http://www.scca.com/documents/2011%2...lo%20Rules.pdf

Now GO HAVE SOME FUN!
Old 7/27/11, 06:23 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the information-->
Old 7/27/11, 07:07 AM

Good info Dave. Based on what you've seen at Solo National Tour events, what size wheels/tires are competitors using in ESP? What other modifications have been done?
Old 7/27/11, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Excellent job putting the info together in one thread.

The 2011 National Championships Aug. 30th-Sept. 2nd show 1 Boss (2-Drivers) registered in A-Stock and 1 Boss in ESP (my co-Driver and I). There might be another Boss with 2-Drivers in ESP registered under a different Mustang (Marcus and Jen). It will be interesting to see how well the Boss does in A-Stock. Good luck to them.

Dave
Old 7/27/11, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Luckymotorsports
Good info Dave. Based on what you've seen at Solo National Tour events, what size wheels/tires are competitors using in ESP? What other modifications have been done?
Strano is running 315/30/18's on 18 x 10.5's. I've seen 295/30/18's being run on 18 x 10's and 18 x 9.5's.
Old 7/27/11, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, more interested in road racing than autoX, but maybe I'll have to play with an ESP build - for giggles
Old 7/27/11, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

i really dotn get why they classed the boss 2 above the 5.0 and another class sup from factory modded stangs. this means the boss 302 goes against the cayman, but the roush blown 11 5.0 cars, gt500, and saleen cars get to run in BS. That just makes no sense at all. im not competitive at all in autox so its not that big of a deal, but the guys hoping to seriously autox the boss got bent over badly.
Old 7/27/11, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i really dotn get why they classed the boss 2 above the 5.0 and another class sup from factory modded stangs. this means the boss 302 goes against the cayman, but the roush blown 11 5.0 cars, gt500, and saleen cars get to run in BS. That just makes no sense at all. im not competitive at all in autox so its not that big of a deal, but the guys hoping to seriously autox the boss got bent over badly.
If there were many out there it would have been nice to hear from them. The 3.73's screwed the car in stock form to start with. AS is empty, and it's the land of C5's right now. Might be ok there. Maybe (but I doubt it). It didn't go to FS because frankly the fear factor for those with Shelby's and normal 5.0's. I'm not saying it'd have been that much better (maybe worse) than a standard 5.0, but there is some legitimate reasoning that does happen with these decisions.

And it kills me more than anything that Mustang guys like to complain about car classing, but none show up to speak of. And the kicker is, the cars are competitive!!!!! I've won 4 National Championships in a row since '07, 3 in a Shelby GT, one in my 2011. I've moved the 5.0 to ESP for this year and am running ProSolo's in it but Nationals in a Corvette. I hope to win both titles in Nebraska in a month.
Old 7/27/11, 03:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
If there were many out there it would have been nice to hear from them. The 3.73's screwed the car in stock form to start with. AS is empty, and it's the land of C5's right now. Might be ok there. Maybe (but I doubt it). It didn't go to FS because frankly the fear factor for those with Shelby's and normal 5.0's. I'm not saying it'd have been that much better (maybe worse) than a standard 5.0, but there is some legitimate reasoning that does happen with these decisions.

And it kills me more than anything that Mustang guys like to complain about car classing, but none show up to speak of. And the kicker is, the cars are competitive!!!!! I've won 4 National Championships in a row since '07, 3 in a Shelby GT, one in my 2011. I've moved the 5.0 to ESP for this year and am running ProSolo's in it but Nationals in a Corvette. I hope to win both titles in Nebraska in a month.
Sam, you aren't the average stang pilot though. anything can be competitive in your hands, i'd wager on the autox course you could trounce 90% of us in my neighbors hyundai accent. i had a really good time auto crossing before but from a noob perspective its very hard to learn the autox ropes. the track changes each time, you only get 10 minutes of driving at each local event, and there is virtually no assistance out there in many areas to teach the ropes to new people. It's a very hard sport to get into.

i can take my boss to any of 3 road courses within a days drive and have a very knowledgeable instructor sitting beside me for hours of driving time and the track is the same next time i want to go out. some of this is a bit OT, but that is why i think you don't see many boss cars at the autox. that and most of these cars will spend their lives hitting the streets only on weekends.

Also why is it the 3.73's? you have been able to get those from the factory since the 10 models as an option.

Last edited by ShaneM; 7/27/11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 7/27/11, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

Also why is it the 3.73's? you have been able to get those from the factory since the 10 models as an option.
You run out of 2nd gear pretty quickly with 3.73's.
Old 7/27/11, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
You run out of 2nd gear pretty quickly with 3.73's.
i may have misunderstood what sam meant. I thought he meant the 3.73 gears had something to do with the car classification. he may well have menat the 3.73 gears hurt the car for the reason you said. second is pretty tall in my car, i didn't have to shift on my outing and i launched in second too. granted that probably hurt my overall time.
Old 7/27/11, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dave.