Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cheesy Hood Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/11, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Trust me putting on those stickers is a difficult job. You gotta ask your dealers if they have a decal man that they can trust with this high dollar sticker. Otherwise I suggest you guys leave it with the minor defects you are describing.
Yea I hear ya. That's why I haven't been in a big hurry to do it yet. They do have a good painter who did replace some stripes on my GT500 so I think they can do a good job, but I might sit on this a bit. I just wanted to get it logged if it starts to go south.
Old 4/14/11, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brawlin' Boss
Trust me putting on those stickers is a difficult job. You gotta ask your dealers if they have a decal man that they can trust with this high dollar sticker. Otherwise I suggest you guys leave it with the minor defects you are describing.
that is an understatement, i had them restripe my 10 three times. the third time the fired the stripe guy. gaps off and bubbles, these cars have a lot more curve to the panels than you think and you cant just mark them off and lay stripes. sometimes you have to actually be crooked to make the stripe look straight. it is an art.

if you go matte, just be sure to get good tape and tape each time you wax. AND once you do gt good wax on the car the tape wont stick. i still have wax on my matte stripes i cant get off. think how hard it is to get was residue off the black plastic on the 10 and up cars, that is exactly how bad a matte stripe is to maintain.
Old 4/14/11, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The scuff marks on my hood sticker are horrifyingly large and obvious. If it takes my dealership multiple times to get it right, then that's what they'll have to do. I was happy that the sales manager pointed the scuff out to me from the outset because I picked up the car in the evening and could have missed it in the twilight.
Old 4/14/11, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The original stock decals are high gloss and you just wax right over them. You can't do that with matte or flat black.
Except I still end up with wax residue around the edges of the stickers, which shouldn't bother me but it does.
Old 4/14/11, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Guys, you can put a clear coat over flat and still have it look flat, my 69 is just that. I will say it is easy to clean, but must be done often. My restoration guy does a great job. Thinking of painting mine like the patriot Boss.... What a car
Old 4/14/11, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
Many decals actually have a Paint and clearcoat applied, that is how they match body colors for OEM. Even if the black color is extruded into the film, (which I suspect it is not) the plastic substrate rarely has good scrff & Mar resistance and it would not would it weather very well and therefore get an automotive grade clear top coat. Also, the film telegraphs the orange peel from the painted hood. After 25 years in the automotive paint business, I comfortable calling it orange peel. What would you call it?
Although a clear coat is obviously not applied in this case, the decal may exaggerate the surface properties or the paint's applied imperfections. Orange peel has a variety of looks and textures, but usually associated with a painted surface. Airbrushing was my thing for many years. I certainly would not call the decal "Extreme orange peel", IMHO. To each his own

What is "scrff"? j/k

Dave
Old 4/14/11, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

I'm on the road now so I don't have access to the BOSS DVD that shows the Lime Green (Grabber Green???) BOSS sitting next to the White one,,,Anyhow, I seem to remember the stripe looked Flat, so maybe we get the easy to clean BOSS and the 13 will look sweeter but a PITA to clean!
Old 4/14/11, 09:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The cars I have seen don't have any where near the gloss in this photo. I suspect it is not a sticker!
They are stickers. I've seen the black LS in the background of the photo you posted in person and it was not painted. The Boss I saw last weekend had high gloss white decals. Hardly cheesy.
Old 4/14/11, 10:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I like pepper jack
Old 4/15/11, 12:30 AM
Cobra R Member

having not yet seen one..i assumed they were painted...sticker!!! really ford,a frigging sticker!

guess if i could ever afford a boss,i could also afford to have the sticker pulled off and done right....painted.
Old 4/15/11, 12:36 AM
Cobra R Member

A lot going on
Old 4/15/11, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Locke62
Guys, you can put a clear coat over flat and still have it look flat, my 69 is just that. I will say it is easy to clean, but must be done often. My restoration guy does a great job. Thinking of painting mine like the patriot Boss.... What a car
That's what I was hoping for.
I am planning on having flat black areas painted on my Kona GT.
Hood cowl, roof, spoiler, between the taillights.
If they can clear over the flat, and it still looks flat....then that's the way I'm going.

I was having second thoughts after reading this thread.
Old 4/15/11, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What's the story on the decklid panel? Do we have to worry about the waxing concerns there? It's flat/satin finish. I'm assuming it's vinyl.
Old 4/15/11, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Should have had SVT in charge here.
The SVT people, as I understand their role, don't do the design work. They do the engineering work. The design department staff that made decisions on Boss graphics made them on the SVT-badged GT500 and Raptor.
Old 4/15/11, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Any of you planning on removing the cheesy hood sticker and actually painting on the hood stripe?
Is your "cheesy" commentary because it is a sticker rather than painted?
Old 4/15/11, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
What's the story on the decklid panel? Do we have to worry about the waxing concerns there? It's flat/satin finish. I'm assuming it's vinyl.
Don't wax that, also I assume it is painted. For me just a plain wash with Dawn or other car soaps are fine for it. I like dawn because it is a grease cutter and do not hurt the paint, it is a lot cheaper then the 50,000 car wash soaps out there. If you do get wax on the panel are plenty of wax removers out there that will not mess with the paint.
Old 4/15/11, 04:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Don't wax that, also I assume it is painted. For me just a plain wash with Dawn or other car soaps are fine for it. I like dawn because it is a grease cutter and do not hurt the paint, it is a lot cheaper then the 50,000 car wash soaps out there. If you do get wax on the panel are plenty of wax removers out there that will not mess with the paint.
Are you sure the black on the deck lid is not a decal?
Old 4/15/11, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Are you sure the black on the deck lid is not a decal?
Nope, that is why I assumed. I have not looked that close at it
Old 4/15/11, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

you know dawn will strip all the wax off the car right? most good car wash soaps leave the wax alone and are ph neutral which means no waterspots if you have hard water liek i do. or at least less waterspots.
Old 4/15/11, 05:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
you know dawn will strip all the wax off the car right? most good car wash soaps leave the wax alone and are ph neutral which means no waterspots if you have hard water liek i do. or at least less waterspots.
I don't know, you may be correct, but I've been using it for many, many years without that issue. I would think that if it striped off all the wax body shops would be using it undiluted on every car before it entered the paint booth.

I use a few small drops and it cleans the car well, all grease and tar comes right off. As for spots, that is another issue I have not had since after rinsing well I always dry the car off.

Quick Reply: Cheesy Hood Sticker