Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Burning Oil/Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/11, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Oil/Engine Noise

Here's one I haven't heard on the boards yet.

Last week I started to hear excessive engine noise and while checking what I could to diagnose the problem I noticed the car was so low on oil it didn't even register on the dipstick.

I drove my other car to the dealer and they gave me 2 quarts of oil (couldn't find any 5w50 anywhere else) and made an appointment for the next day.

When I arrived to the dealer we couldn't hear the sound anymore so I though maybe it was just because the oil was low. Still not a good thing but how can they diagnose anything if the symptoms are gone? They changed the oil and started an oil consumption test by marking the oil level on the dipstick and telling me to come back in 2k miles.

Since then I've been sick over this and have been extra sensitive over the slightest sound. Then while driving to work this morning I was definitely hearing something that wasn't normal. Then when I arrived at work I could smell burnt oil as soon as I got out of the car. I opened the hood and had a friend slowly rev the engine up to 5,000 RMPs. There is definitely something wrong. It sounds like metal on metal scraping that gets louder as the RPMs rise. I'm driving straight to the dealer during lunch and leaving my car with them.

I'm sure it's not something simple and most likely a problem inside the engine like rings or valves. I fear it could be a problem with the rings on a one of the pistons that is gouging the cylinder wall.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 9/15/11, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your not the only Boss owner with this oil consumption issue.... However, he doesn't seem to have the metal to metal noises you are having..

https://themustangsource.com/f726/bo...mption-499944/
Old 9/15/11, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Your not the only Boss owner with this oil consumption issue.... However, he doesn't seem to have the metal to metal noises you are having..

https://themustangsource.com/f726/bo...mption-499944/
Similar but no engine noise. Also I forgot to mention after getting to work this morning I could smell burnt oil. My friend what in the parking garage when I arrived and the first thing he did was ask me if that was my car he smelled. I'm seriously worried about this. My dealer's been good to me so far so I'm confident it will be taken care of.
Old 9/15/11, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear this. It seems the forged Boss engine is not immune to the 5.0 burning oil saga.

How did you break the car in? While this is unconfirmed, it seems the guys who broke their car in hard are not reporting any issues with oil burning.

It is also reported by many owners, that the ford factory did not fill these engines all the way full with oil. Some have reported being down 2-3 quarts right off the showroom floor.

Last edited by fake; 9/15/11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 9/15/11, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Interesting; not related to the 5.0 but I have an Ecoboost Flex that I broke in easy. It used oil for the first 15,000 miles. Since then, no consumption. I did NOT run it hard early. Think I'll break the Boss in a little more agressively.
Old 9/15/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Admittedly sad that it has to happen to anyone - let alone you, but it sounds like the engine may be damaged. If it turns out that you DO have internal damage, I would think that Ford's recommended course of action is going to be to replace the engine ENTIRELY with a new one. Ford engineering will want this one back for analysis. So, it will be a bummer to be without your car for a few weeks, but I assure you that an entire engine replacement is NOT that hard of a job and you will never know a difference once you get the car back. Again, sure it is unfortunate but don't get too worked up about it. (Easy for me to say!)

The only thing that I would push for (assuming internal damage) is that a REPAIR is not done at the dealership. I am less confident in this scenario and you become to dependent of the skills and capability of local people which may or may not be good. Again, I think Ford will be behind a REPLACEMENT and I would suggest that you advocate this is a polite, friendly way.

It is peculiar that the car (allegedly) has not displayed a "low oil level" warning light. There's clearly a senso for this on the side of all Boss oil pans - so it is strange that you didn't mention this.

I wish you the best of luck but I am sure that you will have a car at 100% soon!

Last edited by nota4re; 9/15/11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 9/15/11, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Admittedly sad that it has to happen to anyone - let alone you, but it sounds like the engine may be damaged. If it turns out that you DO have internal damage, I would think that Ford's recommended course of action is going to be to replace the engine ENTIRELY with a new one. Ford engineering will want this one back for analysis. So, it will be a bummer to be without your car for a few weeks, but I assure you that an entire engine replacement is NOT that hard of a job and you will never know a difference once you get the car back. Again, sure it is unfortunate but don't get too worked up about it. (Easy for me to say!)

The only thing that I would push for (assuming internal damage) is that a REPAIR is not done at the dealership. I am less confident in this scenario and you become to dependent of the skills and capability of local people which may or may not be good. Again, I think Ford will be behind a REPLACEMENT and I would suggest that you advocate this is a polite, friendly way.

It is peculiar that the car (allegedly) has not displayed a "low oil level" warning light. There's clearly a senso for this on the side of all Boss oil pans - so it is strange that you didn't mention this.

I wish you the best of luck but I am sure that you will have a car at 100% soon!
Where would the repair be done if not at the dealer?
Old 9/15/11, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I broke mine in hard and saw a lot of oil consumption in the first 1500 miles. However that was a lot of track miles.

One thing everyone should consider is the oil separator, I am sure much of what I burned when right into the intake from the passenger PVC hose.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 9/15/11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 9/15/11, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
It is peculiar that the car (allegedly) has not displayed a "low oil level" warning light. There's clearly a sensor for this on the side of all Boss oil pans - so it is strange that you didn't mention this.

I never had a low oil waning of any kind. I even checked through the info console to see if could tell me anything and found nothing there.

I'm fine with an engine replacement. I bought the car to drive and enjoy. Whatever it takes to get it back to 100% will make me happy.
Old 9/15/11, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fake
Sorry to hear this. It seems the forged Boss engine is not immune to the 5.0 burning oil saga.

How did you break the car in? While this is unconfirmed, it seems the guys who broke their car in hard are not reporting any issues with oil burning.

It is also reported by many owners, that the ford factory did not fill these engines all the way full with oil. Some have reported being down 2-3 quarts right off the showroom floor.
I used about 1 quart in the first 800 miles and since then I only had to top it off with about a 1/4 quart and I am at 2500 miles.

Forgot to add...my car was on the dyno at around 400 miles and then 1000 so i quess we broke her in "hard"
LOL!!!

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 9/15/11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 9/15/11, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by fake

I broke it in hard while following Ford's recommended break in procedures (no extended redline before 100 miles, no track conditions for 1,000 miles).

I noticed it was low 3k miles after it's first oil change. I had it done at the dealership's service department. I didn't check the dipstick after that oil change but the receipt showed they put in 8 quarts. Plus I can smell the burnt oil after driving it.
Old 9/15/11, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SneakyE

I broke it in hard while following Ford's recommended break in procedures (no extended redline before 100 miles, no track conditions for 1,000 miles).

I noticed it was low 3k miles after it's first oil change. I had it done at the dealership's service department. I didn't check the dipstick after that oil change but the receipt showed they put in 8 quarts. Plus I can smell the burnt oil after driving it.
When did you do your first oil change?
Old 9/15/11, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
When did you do your first oil change?
The first oil change was around 1,800 miles.
Old 9/15/11, 12:33 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's one I haven't heard on the boards yet.
Last week I started to hear excessive engine noise and while checking what I could to diagnose the problem I noticed the car was so low on oil it didn't even register on the dipstick.
I drove my other car to the dealer and they gave me 2 quarts of oil (couldn't find any 5w50 anywhere else) and made an appointment for the next day.
Hey SneakyE,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then private message me if you want me to escalate this concern as well. I already have all your info just let me know what dealer you’ll be using and your mileage.

Deysha
Old 9/15/11, 12:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey SneakyE,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then private message me if you want me to escalate this concern as well. I already have all your info just let me know what dealer you’ll be using and your mileage.

Deysha
PM sent (actually two sent, I forgot mileage on the first one). I plan on dropping it off at about 3pm today.

Thanks for all you do!
Old 9/15/11, 01:02 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I never had a low oil waning of any kind. I even checked through the info console to see if could tell me anything and found nothing there.
I'm still wondering what the deal is with this. There was another thread on here with a GT with fairly low miles and he started hearing noises, knocking if I recall, and the car was 4 quarts low on oil and no light or message ever was displayed.
Old 9/15/11, 01:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I'm still wondering what the deal is with this. There was another thread on here with a GT with fairly low miles and he started hearing noises, knocking if I recall, and the car was 4 quarts low on oil and no light or message ever was displayed.
Yeah that's the guy that Ford is replacing the complete engine.
Old 9/15/11, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Where would the repair be done if not at the dealer?
Sorry if my post was confusing. I intended to say that I would be comfortable with a dealership doing an engine swap to a new one. I would be uncomfortable with a dealership diving into the guts of the engine and making determinations about honing cylinder walls, replacing some bearings and not others, etc.
Old 9/16/11, 08:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
PM sent (actually two sent, I forgot mileage on the first one). I plan on dropping it off at about 3pm today.
Thanks for all you do!
You are very welcome, SneakyE! I saw your PM, I'll get back to you in a little while.

Deysha
Old 9/19/11, 07:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
You are very welcome, SneakyE! I saw your PM, I'll get back to you in a little while.

Deysha
Deysha,

Were you able to escalate this? My dealer is reluctant to do anything until they hear from you guys so my car is just sitting in my garage because I don't want to drive it more than I have to.

Thanks,

Jared

Quick Reply: Burning Oil/Engine Noise