Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

boss track attack 15-17 july

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/12, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ulev1st
Got here today and went out and checked out the track. What an operation! They had the Porsche club on one track and bikes on the other plus they have two different large karting tracks open to the public. There was prob 1000+ folks there.
Originally Posted by Resolution78
im in salt lake city staying at little america hotel...... there so many Porsches around its retarded...... oh and since they were out of our mustang conv. rental we got upgraded to a R/T Challenger for no extra charge. I know its not a mustang, but its always fun to beat up on someone else's v-8
hey guys- plz post pix after, thx.
Old 7/15/12, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason for all the Porsches was due to the fact that this years Porsche Parade was held in SLC.
Old 7/15/12, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Been at miller motorsports track all day. Autcross with the rental..... Salt flats maybe on the 18 th lol
Old 7/17/12, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

just finished MMP day two...... hole place was amazing....... met a few people from this site in person everyone there was awesome..... after day one the ride along we did was in the rain. I cant believe how fast they flew around the track in a solid rain storm.

Now im looking forward to some track days and autocross.

i have pictures and tons of videos, the second day i drove a school gt mustang, and i managed to keep up with the fr500s, i should have paid for the fr500s,
Old 7/18/12, 04:28 AM

Like Resolution, just finished the Track Day Monday and the FR 500 Tuesday. What an awesome two days. The weather was perfect except for the rain late Monday, but they took us out and gave us rides in the Boss's in the rain, nothing but pure grip and handling. The instructors went faster in the rain then we did in the dry!!! The FR was truly amazing, easy to drive, go faster and gain a ton of confidence. Definately want to come back and do some more track time in it. Met a lot of really great guys, Troy, John, Trent, and several others. Hope to see you guys again, and thanks to Ford for the Boss and the Track Attack Day, and thank you Miller Motorsports. Cyndi, Jon,Trent,Michael, Mike and everyone else made this one of those memories that you will never forget. If you haven't gone, you need to go as soon as you can, because you are going to have a blast, learn, and be treated so special. All I can saw is AWESOME!!!!
Old 7/18/12, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad you guys enjoyed it, it was a great experience.
Old 7/18/12, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you happen to notice what tires they were using in the rain?

Sounds like a great event!
Old 7/18/12, 07:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Did you happen to notice what tires they were using in the rain?

Sounds like a great event!
Michelin ps2. Awesome tires.
Old 7/18/12, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Only took the one day. WISH I had paid for the second day. What an awesome experience. I learned a lot plus learned I HAVE MUCH TO LEARN!
Instructor Hot Laps was the bomb!! They are CRAZY FAST and make it look easy. That made the whole trip worth it.
So here I sit in the local Denny's for my final breakfast in Utah.
If you are on the fence about the Track Attack

DO IT!!!
Old 7/18/12, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Just finished up with my two days. Track Attack with the Boss was fun, but today in the FR500 was unbelievable! These cars really handle. The whole experiance was well worth the trip.
Old 7/18/12, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ulev1st
Only took the one day. WISH I had paid for the second day. What an awesome experience. I learned a lot plus learned I HAVE MUCH TO LEARN!
Instructor Hot Laps was the bomb!! They are CRAZY FAST and make it look easy. That made the whole trip worth it.
So here I sit in the local Denny's for my final breakfast in Utah.
If you are on the fence about the Track Attack

DO IT!!!
Originally Posted by 2006mach1
Just finished up with my two days. Track Attack with the Boss was fun, but today in the FR500 was unbelievable! These cars really handle. The whole experiance was well worth the trip.
Hey guys! Just wanted to say that it was a real pleasure meeting you this week. In our conversations, I think I almost learned as much from you two about tracking cars as I did from the instructors - and as we know, the instructors were excellent. The school is amazing, the cars are amazing, and for any of you folks on the fence, the second day is totally worth it (and as 2006mach1 stated, the cup car is highly recommended - fast and tons-o-grip).

ulev1st, we missed you on day two. Without you there 2006mach1 took it upon himself to pass me twice as much to make up for it.
Old 7/19/12, 01:17 AM
GT Member

Warning, long post. If you are like me, your attention span may not allow the entire read. Otherwise . . .

I just finished the Trackattack program and am heading home today, after checking out some of today's driving from the grandstands. The guests had a blast doing this. Overall, it was a very well run event, handled by incredibly professional staff. They were all very friendly, helpful, and entertaining individuals. Water and similar beverages were thrown at you all day long, while the classrooms were incredibly cool and comfortable.

The initial museum tour was interesting. Several Cobras and classics were there, including the Mark 1, 2, 3, and 4 GT 40's! There is a nice gift shop at the main class location with t-shirts and hats, etc.

For the first day, the basic setup of the track training was classroom education alternated with lead follow track time. This is in contrast to my HPDE events which included more instructor in-car type education. There was also a quick heel toe and launch control exercise, as well as a group van ride and track walkabout session. For the lead follow, the speeds progressed as the sessions did. I believe there were 4 track sessions. The last two were open track (non lead follow). The lead follow sessions were obviously restrictive, but once they let you go, you can really rock some solid solo track time. They allowed passing during the last session.

The first day was on the east track. Overall (based on my limited track experience) it is a technical course with three nice straights (one with a kink) and a couple of (what I call) double type turns, Agony/Ecstasy and one other. You are in 3 and 4th gears and can get over a 100 on the straights. Stay in third until you get the feel of the track. My favorite section, by far, was the Attitudes. At the end of a straight, it's uphill to a sharp blind left turn, then a quick snake-like right/left downhill onto another straight. It's kind of like that section of Laguna Seca I've seen. Crazy fun. Not sure what an average lap time was, but I was able to manage a 1:55.3. The hot lap at the end of the day in the rain, defied my belief in the laws of physics.

The second day on the West track was the highlight. The FR500s is a true race car. You get the whole package, with the super tight race seat, stripped down car, super tight suspension, R comp tires, big time negative front camber, tight removable steering wheel, headers, nice race pedals, etc. It felt like a fighter jet. It is much lighter than the Boss, but def has less power. Early lead follow and van ride sessions followed by two full passing-allowed track sessions.

The entire right side of the track is super fast, with several super fast turns. Shift from 3rd to 4th, before hitting the top straight. Cones are setup, on both days, to indicate points of contact to the edge or apex of the turns, a very nice way of directing your flow through the course. At the end of the top straight, there is a sharp left turn leading to some really interesting turns. The second, the Devils, is challenging and fun, with six points of contact! You turn in, hit one apex, track out to the edge, creep in a bit with slight maintenance throttle, then track out a second time, before touching the brake to hit the last apex, and tracking out. The second to last turn, Precision, is absolutely beautiful as it is downhill, banked, and sweeping such that you can see the entirety of the turn well before entry.

We stayed at the host hotel, the Airport Hyatt. The lobby is modest, but they have beer, wine, liquor, and a wonderful complimentary breakfast. I would definitely stay again. One very strange and random thing occurred after our first night, in the first morning, at Breakfast. I saw Thomas Friedman run into the breakfast area, take a look at the breakfast and run off. He was there long enough for me to catch him, shake his hand and say, “You were right, the World is Flat”. He Laughed.

If you get the chance, the 120 mile trip to the Bonneville speedway in the salt flats is worth the time. It is truly a notable historic marker and wonder of nature. There is literally 6 inches of salt for miles and miles. The setting, in a basin surrounded by western mountains is truly spectacular.

For lunch/dinner, we stuck with microbrews and brew pubs. Squatters, Red Rock, Bohemian pubs served excellent beer and food. Squatters was our favorite. Bayou served nice Cajun food with a large draught beer selection. The Market Grill, near the University of Utah, serves top notch seafood in a nostalgic 50's atmosphere, but is a bit pricey. I recommend the fish and chips.

If you get the opportunity, check out the Speed exhibition at the Museum of Fine Art at the University of Utah. They have several record breaking classic cars from Bonneville, as well as one of the old Shelby Daytona's.

Once again, this was an excellent experience. I highly recommend the second day with the FR. If the third day with the Raptor on the dirt track was available, I would have definitely added it. The complex includes other amenities such as a zip line as well. All the staff and pro riders are approachable and helpful. The experience also opened my eyes to driving events that don't require you to bring your own vehicle. It is a stress free and low maintenance way to track and have fun.

Last edited by Further; 7/19/12 at 01:22 AM.
Old 7/19/12, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the thorough post Further, the Track Attack is something I definitely want to do.

My dealer is ignorant of all things Boss, and I'm having trouble finding information about it online. How does one sign up? Is it even available for 2013 Boss owners?
Old 7/19/12, 07:19 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman
Thanks for the thorough post Further, the Track Attack is something I definitely want to do.

My dealer is ignorant of all things Boss, and I'm having trouble finding information about it online. How does one sign up? Is it even available for 2013 Boss owners?

www.bosstrackattack.com or by calling 435-27-SPEED.
Old 7/19/12, 08:40 AM
GT Member

To give you an idea of the talent in the instructors, check out Jon Capps in his Funny car doing the 1/4 mile in under 5 seconds and over 300 mph!

Old 7/20/12, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

short vid of FR500

Just a short vid of me driving a FR500 on my second day of Track Attack. Sorry about the bug splatter! This car was a blast. I will be installing R-compounds shortly!

http://youtu.be/jpi38d2N3cQ
Old 7/21/12, 12:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
Just a short vid of me driving a FR500 on my second day of Track Attack. Sorry about the bug splatter! This car was a blast. I will be installing R-compounds shortly!

http://youtu.be/jpi38d2N3cQ

Nice. East track. Attitudes at 1:15. BTW, I embedded your vid, bro.
Old 7/21/12, 12:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by boss man
www.bosstrackattack.com or by calling 435-27-SPEED.
Thanks. I got on the wait list. They are full for the remainder of the year, but should be releasing next years schedule soon.
Old 7/21/12, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

first video from day one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDErCHa2m7Y&hd=1

Last edited by Resolution78; 7/21/12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 7/21/12, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

final video from first day.....

Last edited by Resolution78; 7/21/12 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: boss track attack 15-17 july