Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss tidbits taken from today's live chat with Dave Pericak

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/10, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boss tidbits taken from today's live chat with Dave Pericak

Today there was a live chat with Dave Pericak, Ford Mustang Chief Nameplate Engineer. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get online and ask any questions during the chat. Almost all of the questions he was asked predictably had to do with the Boss. Here are all the Boss-related questions and answers from the chat, no matter how obvious the answers are:

What is it like to be the chief engineer of the Ford Mustang?

Dave Pericak: Being the Chief engineer is an awesome responsibility as everything we do is in support of a legend. I also work with the best vehicle team in the business. This team is full of Mustang enthusiasts that truly love what they do.

Any word on a price range for the boss 302? This looks like its going to be an amazing car!

Dave Pericak: We will announce pricing later this year but you can expect the price to be between the Mustang GT and the GT500.

In your opinion, what is the best year Mustang ever produced?

Dave Pericak: I currently own a 1968 and a 2000 GT convertible. I plan to put the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca in my garage! Hopefully that gives you some insight into my favorite Mustang!

Approximately when will the Boss 302 be available to order?

Dave Pericak: We will announce the avialability and pricing later this year so stay tuned. However, it will be in the showroom in the spring.

Will the Boss 302 come (with an) automatic?

Dave Pericak: The Boss 302 is a true racing machine and therefore will only be offered in a manual coupe version. Is there any other way to handle the track?

What is the horsepower of the Boss 302?

Dave Pericak: The Boss 302 is producing (naturally aspirated) 440 HP at approx. 7,500 RPM.

The new boss mustang will it have a supercharger?

Dave Pericak: True to it's heritage the Boss 302 is a naturally aspirated engine. We built it off of the 5.0L engine that we just introduced in the 2011 GT. Don't forget, the GT500 utilizes a supercharger to achieve 550HP.

Do you see any competition between the Boss and SVT, as far as what a customer may want? They're touting the Boss as the best yet, but I have to imagine a 5.4L would beat the Boss' motor, I dunno though...

Dave Pericak: There are really two different customers for these vehicles. The Shelby GT500 has near limitless power, great for acceleration, and can be purchased in both coupe and convertible configurations. The Boss is more purpose built for pure track performance and road course racing yet it is still drivable on the road. I already told you what vehicle I'm putting in my garage!

How many miles to a gallon will the Boss have?

Dave Pericak: We will have final fuel economy numbers closer to the launch.

For the 2012 Boss 302 - When they say "limited" production how many does Ford plan on making or will demand effect production as well?

Dave Pericak: The Boss will be a limited production, limited volume vehicle. This limited produciton will keep Boss exclusive and collectible.

Will the Boss 302 be a one year special edition? or become an option package we can expect for a few years on the GT? Do you see the Boss 302 finding itself in the hands of people who just want a hot mustang to drive around on a regular basis compared to those who want it as a track car only?

Dave Pericak: The Boss will be true to it's heritage. There will not be an option package to add to a GT. The only way you get a Boss is to buy one. As far as who will purchase, I hope everyone that wants one gets one!

Will the Boss 302 be available in Canada?

Dave Pericak: Yes the Boss will be available in Canada.

What colors will the boss come in?

Dave Pericak: The Boss will come in 5 colors: Competition Orange (unique to the Boss), Race Red, White, Kona Blue and Yellow Blaze. The Laguna Seca package will be offered in Black and Silver.

Is this Boss 302 a 4-speed?

Dave Pericak: The Boss 302 utilizes the newley introduced 6 speed manual transmission found in the 2011 Mustang GT.

What kind of things do you do being head engineer? Did you physically help with the new Mustang?

Dave Pericak: I am a very hands on Chief who spends most of my time with the team in the garage making Mustang what it is today.

Will any parts from the BOSS 302 be available as aftermarket add-ons?

Dave Pericak: A few of the Boss components will be available via Ford Racing. However, the Boss engine is purpose built and will only be available in the Boss.

What tires are on the boss? did you have any problems selecting the right type like the SVT team did w/the shelby?

Dave Pericak: The Boss is fitted with high performance 19" Pirelli PZero summer tires 255x40 and 285X35. The Laguna Seca gets the same size but Pirelli R compound Corsa tires.
Old 8/17/10, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some really dumb questions: what kinda MPG? Is it a 4-speed?

It's sad hardly anything there not available by googling "2012 Boss 302"
Old 8/17/10, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Some really dumb questions: what kinda MPG? Is it a 4-speed?

It's sad hardly anything there not available by googling "2012 Boss 302"
Seriously, was this for a high school newspaper or something? Wow.
Old 8/17/10, 07:47 PM

Will the Boss 302 be a one year special edition? or become an option package we can expect for a few years on the GT? Do you see the Boss 302 finding itself in the hands of people who just want a hot mustang to drive around on a regular basis compared to those who want it as a track car only?

Dave Pericak: The Boss will be true to it's heritage. There will not be an option package to add to a GT. The only way you get a Boss is to buy one. As far as who will purchase, I hope everyone that wants one gets one!

He avoided the question about a one year edition. Or perhaps true to it's heritage means a 2(or 3) year run
Old 8/17/10, 08:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Dave Pericak
As far as who will purchase, I hope everyone that wants one gets one!
TRANSLATION: "We'll build as many as we can sell."
Old 8/17/10, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It kinda sucks comp. orange will only be available to the Boss but it means now I have no choice but to get a Boss. Thank You Ford.
Old 8/17/10, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Don't know about anyone else, but I tried asking at least a half dozen questions of Mr. Pericak and none of them were posted - obviously they were reading and posting only the questions they wanted to field answers to.
Old 8/17/10, 10:02 PM
FR500 Member

I saw the words "exclusive" & "collectible" don't know how that fits with "hoping that everyone that wants one gets one" - he forgot to add "if you're willing to pay the inevitable jacked-up dealer price". IMO it would be stupid of Ford not to build as many as it could possibly sell. Meh. There went that thought...
Old 8/17/10, 10:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
I saw the words "exclusive" & "collectible" don't know how that fits with "hoping that everyone that wants one gets one" -
Yeah, I took it the other way.

I don't remember Ford presenting the Bullitt as collectible, just as SE. And Bullitt's came in a little over 6500.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/17/10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of us who are enthusiasts and who understand what the Boss is about are small in number compared to overall Mustang sales. The average Joe or Jane who walks into a Ford dealership is not going to want a Boss. Chances are, they won't even know that it exists. They'll want a V6 or GT with an automatic or a convertible or a car that is cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure than a Boss. While we think the demand for the Boss is going to be high, in the overall scheme of things it is small numbers. Add on the fact that Ford is going to want to recoup its R&D costs for the Boss program, and I think they will build all the market can bear. IMHO the only fly in the ointment will be CAFE, since the Boss will skew their CAFE numbers downward. They'll have to sell more V6s to offset the poorer fuel economy of the Boss. Dealers will tack on ADMs for a while so they can soak those that have to be the first kid on the block with the new toy, but for those who are patient, MSRP or lower deals will be out there. If you want a Boss, I wouldn't sweat it too much at this point.
Old 8/18/10, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This did answer one of my questions. I was curious which 6-speed would be used and he said it would be the same as in the GT which is the M82 Getrag. The reason I wanted to know is because I thought I had read elsewhere that the Boss 302R race cars were using a Tremec 6-speed and not the Getrag from the GT.
Old 8/18/10, 11:30 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by blksn8k
This did answer one of my questions. I was curious which 6-speed would be used and he said it would be the same as in the GT which is the M82 Getrag. The reason I wanted to know is because I thought I had read elsewhere that the Boss 302R race cars were using a Tremec 6-speed and not the Getrag from the GT.
If you look at the in car video from the Boss Heritage segment on youTube, you can see the shifter (and its throw) is very different than the street car.
Old 8/18/10, 12:50 PM

I was under the impression it was it's own six-speed. Not the GT500 since the sequence is different (Reverse being Left-Up not Right-Down). Can the GT 6MT be short and durable enough?
Old 8/18/10, 12:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
I was under the impression it was it's own six-speed. Not the GT500 since the sequence is different (Reverse being Left-Up not Right-Down). Can the GT 6MT be short and durable enough?
I thought so too. Thought I read the description as a close ratio for the track and took it that it had different ratios than the 5.0 6 spd (which would be easy to change without incurring much expense.).
Old 8/18/10, 01:23 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
Since the peak torque of the Boss motor is LOWER than the 5.0, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 8/18/10, 01:48 PM

I was refering more to the durability of continued track use. Hard, fast, repetative shifts. As well if it was a short enough throw.
Old 8/19/10, 12:10 AM
Cobra R Member

why do i get the feeling, that dealers are gonna ask HUGH markup's...

oh well us canadians get chance at some of these also...so maybe i can sweat talk my local dealership (main dealership for shelby's in cdn)...they have 11 new 2011's sitting on lot right now (if i get chance ill go take pic by this weekend...it's pretty cool sight)

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...0/BodyDesc/1/1
Old 8/19/10, 06:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
why do i get the feeling, that dealers are gonna ask HUGH markup's...

oh well us canadians get chance at some of these also...so maybe i can sweat talk my local dealership (main dealership for shelby's in cdn)...they have 11 new 2011's sitting on lot right now (if i get chance ill go take pic by this weekend...it's pretty cool sight)

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...0/BodyDesc/1/1

ADM's seem to be more an American dealer thing. Most Canadian dealerships do not tack on ADM's. I've got several Ford dealers close by where I live and only 1 has tried to get ADM money from me. They tried to get 5k from me on an 08 GT500 (this was at the end of the 09 model year!) even after Ford allowed employee pricing and rebates on them. I just laughed and went down the road to another dealer who was only too happy to give me all the Ford incentives and no ADM's.