Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss threw a code this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/11, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Boss threw a code this morning.

So as I'm going to work this morning, I get 2 blocks away from the house and I see the engine light flashing, and it stayed illuminated after. The car felt fine and drove fine, but I turned back and parked it and took my F-250 to work.

I don't have a programmer anymore so I don't have a way of checking the code. Maybe after I get off work I can drive it down to Oreillys and get it checked.

I'm hoping its not something serious, I was really surprised when it happened.
Old 12/7/11, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Check your oil level just to be safe
Old 12/7/11, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Oil level is good, had it changed almost 700 miles ago, and I had checked the level a few days ago as well.

Got a hookup on the OBD2 reader and it was P0303. Misfire. Cleared the code, and proceeded to drive the **** out of the car (without abuse), which gave me a huge smile of course and made my pants tight. No codes came back up after that.
Old 12/8/11, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustangfreak-

These engine misfire codes have been experienced by many other Boss owners and their frustration over these has been chronicled in many other threads. Your P0303 code points to a misfire of a specific cylinder. Others have experienced the more general P0300 code which is non-cylinder specific. Most if not all others who have experienced this annoyance has been on the track and I believe some have experienced a progression into engine “limp-mode”. Not a good thing on the track around other cars.

Ford has been aware of this problem since at least June 2011. They were surprised at the occurrence. They developed a software patch which was used by some Boss owners and the problem persisted. Then they said that the Track Key software would be further modified to solve the misfire problem. One particular owner who tracks his car frequently continued to get error codes after installing the TK software. Voicing his displeasure many times ultimately brought about personal attention by Ford Racing to download what he has been told was the “standard” version of the TK software and miraculously his P0300 codes have now gone away.

Perhaps you should purchase the TK software and hope this solves your P0300 codes.
Old 12/8/11, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Mustangfreak-

These engine misfire codes have been experienced by many other Boss owners and their frustration over these has been chronicled in many other threads. Your P0303 code points to a misfire of a specific cylinder. Others have experienced the more general P0300 code which is non-cylinder specific. Most if not all others who have experienced this annoyance has been on the track and I believe some have experienced a progression into engine "limp-mode". Not a good thing on the track around other cars.

Ford has been aware of this problem since at least June 2011. They were surprised at the occurrence. They developed a software patch which was used by some Boss owners and the problem persisted. Then they said that the Track Key software would be further modified to solve the misfire problem. One particular owner who tracks his car frequently continued to get error codes after installing the TK software. Voicing his displeasure many times ultimately brought about personal attention by Ford Racing to download what he has been told was the "standard" version of the TK software and miraculously his P0300 codes have now gone away.

Perhaps you should purchase the TK software and hope this solves your P0300 codes.
Yes that was very interesting. His car also has a better lopey idle that really shakes the car.
Old 12/8/11, 11:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
So as I'm going to work this morning, I get 2 blocks away from the house and I see the engine light flashing, and it stayed illuminated after. The car felt fine and drove fine, but I turned back and parked it and took my F-250 to work.

I don't have a programmer anymore so I don't have a way of checking the code. Maybe after I get off work I can drive it down to Oreillys and get it checked.
Hey Mustangfreak,

If the codes come back again, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 12/8/11, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Yes that was very interesting. His car also has a better lopey idle that really shakes the car.
Certainly makes me wonder what was downloaded from the specific SVT racing programming hardware available at a racetrack location supporting Ford race cars. (in a non-CARB state)

But perhaps I am the only owner who has not sipped the KoolAid.

And now the owner is gushing about TK. Hey, whatever works to get what you want is fair game. I'm happy for the owner.
Old 12/8/11, 12:54 PM
Cobra Member

Certainly makes me wonder what was downloaded from the specific SVT racing programming hardware available at a racetrack location supporting Ford race cars. (in a non-CARB state)

And now the owner is gushing about TK. Hey, whatever works to get what you want is fair game. I'm happy for the owner.
Me too. Only wish I was as fortunate. I think I'm going to pass on the key and shoot for the whole 302 SX intake package. Tune only if I have too
Old 12/8/11, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not gushing about anything and nothing was downloaded into my car, a re-set or re-learn of a sensor was preformed and fixed a problem. I think I stated quite clearly who should get this and what to expect with the tune. As for having anything special or different then anyone else, believe what you folks out there want to believe, I really don't care. People that know me, Charlie, Rick, Gary, Andy along with some of the FL people that have meet me know I am not into telling bullsh!t stories.

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey Mustangfreak,

If the codes come back again, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Exactly, it happened once no big deal. If it continues bring it in to have it looked at. You can continue to use the car without damage if it does pop up again.
Old 12/8/11, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I'm not gushing about anything and nothing was downloaded into my car, a re-set or re-learn of a sensor was preformed and fixed a problem. I think I stated quite clearly who should get this and what to expect with the tune. As for having anything special or different then anyone else, believe what you folks out there want to believe, I really don't care. People that know me, Charlie, Rick, Gary, Andy along with some of the FL people that have meet me know I am not into telling bullsh!t stories.

Exactly, it happened once no big deal. If it continues bring it in to have it looked at. You can continue to use the car without damage if it does pop up again.
Scott, +1
Old 12/8/11, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

Scott, we were just commenting on the fact that you went from I hardly notice a thing to I love the track key. If I met some Ford guys and they said "hey don't tell anyone exactly what we do here" I'd shut the fudge up too. Not saying that happened, but I'm sure a few people feel that way. Maybe the Ford guys just Told you they were reloading the original tune. You do realize legal wouldnt let them say anything else? I'm happy you got the experience and chance to do everything you did. Good things happen to good people. I'm a big believer in Karma.

Edit: maybe everyone who is unhappy should head back to there dealer and see if they will reload the TK tune? Let's see how that goes?

Last edited by Jza1736; 12/8/11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12/8/11, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Scott, we were just commenting on the fact that you went from I hardly notice a thing to I love the track key. If I met some Ford guys and they said "hey don't tell anyone exactly what we do here" I'd shut the fudge up too. Not saying that happened, but I'm sure a few people feel that way. Maybe the Ford guys just Told you they were reloading the original tune. You do realize legal wouldnt let them say anything else? I'm happy you got the experience and chance to do everything you did. Good things happen to good people. I'm a big believer in Karma.

Edit: maybe everyone who is unhappy should head back to there dealer and see if they will reload the TK tune? Let's see how that goes?
Nicely stated Jason,
Old 12/8/11, 07:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Scott never said he was in love with TK nor has he held back any punches. Several of us have met the same guys that helped Scott and all of them are above board with nothing to hide. They would do the same for any of us and it's like having our own personal pit crew/R&D department.

I like TK but I'm not in love with it either. After driving the TA cars I knew what to expect including the detuned lopey idle and I still had mine installed the first week. While I certainly understand why people are underwhelmed with TK the whole idea is really cool and I applaud Ford for bringing it to market. There was no way I'm owning a 2012 Boss 302 and not have TK installed.
Old 12/9/11, 12:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Scott never said he was in love with TK nor has he held back any punches.
Someone has been reading my posts

What I did not write about was the procedure done to my car. My reasoning was because I did not want to sound like Mr. Special and say I have something you don't have and can not get yet The S guys have this so I guess I can say what was done, a tuner was hooked up to my car for less then 60 seconds, no laptop, no internet connection in a side outside parking lot. If a complete Trackey tune can be loaded in this way and this amount time I would be impressed.

The rest of the day, after the first 60 seconds pased, I spent playing 20 (thousand) questions and trying to get a job as a driver for Multimatic. When that was shot down I tried to get a mechanic job, then tire changer and lastly windshield cleaner, all of which I was unqualified for

I do not have a doctorate in human psychology but I am smart enough not to post what I did if I was given something special, just to have to deny it later. I would have just keep my mouth shut and silently drove the Boss home with an extra big smile.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 12/9/11 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12/9/11, 07:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
+1 Thank you, 2012YellowBoss!

Deysha
Old 12/9/11, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Speculation unwarranted!
Old 12/9/11, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Someone has been reading my posts

What I did not write about was the procedure done to my car. My reasoning was because I did not want to sound like Mr. Special and say I have something you don't have and can not get yet The S guys have this so I guess I can say what was done, a tuner was hooked up to my car for less then 60 seconds, no laptop, no internet connection in a side outside parking lot. If a complete Trackey tune can be loaded in this way and this amount time I would be impressed.
Just to let you know, I had a superchips tuner for my Pontiac G8. The first time I used it it took a few minutes. After all my parameters were set, it would only take a minute to go back and forth from stock to tuned.
Old 12/9/11, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Scott never said he was in love with TK nor has he held back any punches. Several of us have met the same guys that helped Scott and all of them are above board with nothing to hide. They would do the same for any of us and it's like having our own personal pit crew/R&D department.

I like TK but I'm not in love with it either. After driving the TA cars I knew what to expect including the detuned lopey idle and I still had mine installed the first week. While I certainly understand why people are underwhelmed with TK the whole idea is really cool and I applaud Ford for bringing it to market. There was no way I'm owning a 2012 Boss 302 and not have TK installed.
As I've said b4. I will pass on TK for now. I have a few other things that will be getting done first. I feel the $400 and loss of warranty is not worth it. When spring rolls around I will be continuing my mod list and yes TK is on it, but low on the list.

You see it as cool and to each his own. I would have been happier with a button or a toggle switch. Look at one member that lost his black key and has to drive with the red key until he finds it or spends almost $300 for a new one. I know it's not to bad to drive on the street, but it can be an annoyance.
Old 12/9/11, 01:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Look at one member that lost his black key and has to drive with the red key until he finds it or spends almost $300 for a new one. I know it's not to bad to drive on the street, but it can be an annoyance.
I copied my black key before I got the red key programmed. The copy was only $30 and you can program it yourself as long as you have the black and red keys and the red key has not been programmed for TK. I think I will now use the 2 black keys to make a 3rd copy, just in case I lose one of the black keys.
Old 12/9/11, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54

I copied my black key before I got the red key programmed. The copy was only $30 and you can program it yourself as long as you have the black and red keys and the red key has not been programmed for TK. I think I will now use the 2 black keys to make a 3rd copy, just in case I lose one of the black keys.
But that is only if you have the keys. If you have already lost one you r screwd

Quick Reply: The Boss threw a code this morning.