Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/13, 10:55 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Boss Owner Questions

I would like to own a '13 Boss in the next year or so. My questions are as follows:

Does everyone keep the stock wider tire in the rear or does anyone go the same size all around and how much does it matter.

Those of you in winter areas- is it possible to drive this car in the snow and ice(I live 15 min from St. Louis). Or is it absolutely necessary to get straight up winter tires. Mustangs are notorious for being horrible winter drivers.

Do you like it as a daily driver

Does the engine eat oil like I have seem some say.

How big of a hassle is it to get a Track Key.

Is it comfortable for a semi-tall person to drive(I'm 6'2")

How many of you hit the 155 speed limiter the first month of owning.

How many speeding tickets...

Has anyone gotten a noise ticket for having the baffles out.

Have you found people trying to "race" you at stop lights, highway, etc.
for no apparent reason.

That is all for now. Thanks for any answers. I did look around for these answers.
Old 10/30/13, 11:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, I've owned mine for a month so far but here's my take.

Does everyone keep the stock wider tire in the rear or does anyone go the same size all around and how much does it matter.
Mine are staggered and I will leave them that way because, well, I'd never down-size the back and I don't currently want to buy two wider wheels for the front. lol

Those of you in winter areas...
... I live in Texas, my last '12 GT was fine though in moderate snow and ice.

Do you like it as a daily driver?
Wouldn't change it for the world! (Unless I had a Raptor for a DD and this for the weekend)

Does the engine eat oil like I have seem some say?
No Idea... maybe I should check this.

I've heard it's fairly easy, though I'll spend my money on a SCT Tuner instead.

I'm 5'-9" and I fit perfectly... if that helps. lol

I barely hit 120mph so far (I'm 24 years old too).

None! ...so far.

Nope, and I love to make cops heads turn so I downshift every chance I get by one.

for no apparent reason.

Actually... NONE! I'm annoyed. Not one single person... in a month!
Granted I live in congested downtown Houston, but still...

Good luck with your questions!
Old 10/30/13, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Does everyone keep the stock wider tire in the rear or does anyone go the same size all around and how much does it matter.

Staggered looks better on this body IMO. And more rubber is always better on the rear. Debatable whether another 30mm on the front would do you much good.

> Do you like it as a daily driver

Stock, yes. I get annoyed with the constant 18-19 per gallon in traffic, but thems the breaks. Suspension can be a bit harsh to have as your primary car.

> Does the engine eat oil like I have seem some say.

I tend to put in 8 quarts and get a tiny bit over 7 out after 5k miles.

> How big of a hassle is it to get a Track Key.

Huge hassle if your dealer is clueless. Call around and see which of your dealers have even heard of it. If you get a "huh?", go elsewhere.

> How many of you hit the 155 speed limiter the first month of owning.

Lame.

> How many speeding tickets...

Zero because I'm not a douchy driver.

> Has anyone gotten a noise ticket for having the baffles out.

No. It's not that loud. Well within legal limits everywhere.

> Have you found people trying to "race" you at stop lights, highway, etc.
for no apparent reason.

For better or worse, people don't really try to do dumb crap like that here because of the heavy traffic all the time. You do get quite a few looks though. Could just be my color though.
Old 10/31/13, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mattlqx

Hopefully that was a typo, if not, you only put 8 quarts into an engine that takes 8.5?
Old 10/31/13, 10:01 PM
GT Member

> Does everyone keep the stock wider tire in the rear or does anyone go the same size all around and how much does it matter.

Staggered looks better on this body IMO. And more rubber is always better on the rear. Debatable whether another 30mm on the front would do you much good.

> Do you like it as a daily driver

Stock, yes. I get annoyed with the constant 18-19 per gallon in traffic, but thems the breaks. Suspension can be a bit harsh to have as your primary car.

> How big of a hassle is it to get a Track Key.

Huge hassle if your dealer is clueless. Call around and see which of your dealers have even heard of it. If you get a "huh?", go elsewhere.

> How many of you hit the 155 speed limiter the first month of owning.

Lame.

> How many speeding tickets...

Zero because I'm not a douchy driver.

> Has anyone gotten a noise ticket for having the baffles out.

No. It's not that loud. Well within legal limits everywhere.

> Have you found people trying to "race" you at stop lights, highway, etc.
for no apparent reason.

For better or worse, people don't really try to do dumb crap like that here because of the heavy traffic all the time. You do get quite a few looks though. Could just be my color though.

The speed question I only ask because I am curious. It also shows if the car inspires driver confidence. And...There are roads here, with no people, that can go for miles with no turns. And as for the question about people wanting to stop light race- People do this all the time when im in my '70. They end up peeling out and making a scene when Im just on a leisure drive. I need a sign on that car that says "it only looks really fast."

Also, 18-19 is pretty good in my book for 444hp. My fusion, manual shift, gets 22 city and it only has 2.3L and 140hp, so Id say 3 or 4 mpg is well worth the trade off. And im sure 1st gear is a little taller so you dont have to shift at 15mph.

Btw - doesn't take a douchy driver to get a ticket here. Get a little zoned out and go 4 or 5 mph over and a State boy will have you a guaranteed $120 ticket.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10/31/13, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes70mustang
The speed question I only ask because I am curious. It also shows if the car inspires driver confidence. And...There are roads here, with no people, that can go for miles with no turns. And as for the question about people wanting to stop light race- People do this all the time when im in my '70. They end up peeling out and making a scene when Im just on a leisure drive. I need a sign on that car that says "it only looks really fast."

Also, 18-19 is pretty good in my book for 444hp. My fusion, manual shift, gets 22 city and it only has 2.3L and 140hp, so Id say 3 or 4 mpg is well worth the trade off. And im sure 1st gear is a little taller so you dont have to shift at 15mph.

Btw - doesn't take a douchy driver to get a ticket here. Get a little zoned out and go 4 or 5 mph over and a State boy will have you a guaranteed $120 ticket.

Thanks for the reply.
x2.

The closest thing I've had happen so far is when a guy drove up beside me and asked, "hey how's that sound?" I just let my foot roll into the throttle, slowly layed into it up to 3.5k, and then took it up sharp through the RPMs... burble a bit, then whined out, then scream... I watch him giggle in the rear view. Fun stuff. lol
Old 11/1/13, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Hopefully that was a typo, if not, you only put 8 quarts into an engine that takes 8.5?
It's halfway between the dots on the dipstick or slightly over. Pretty sure that extra little bit would just be sitting around in the oil pan. Unless you're doing some hardcore tracking (which I check the oil before hand), that small variance isn't going to matter.

Last edited by mattlqx; 11/1/13 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11/1/13, 12:27 AM
GT Member

If you have a '70, hell yes get a '13. That'd be an awesome pair. Keep them together.... Like soulmates.
Old 11/1/13, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the reply.
The car is definitely confidence inspiring. More so on a track then on a back road. Don't get me wrong the back roads are awesome in the car, but you have to know them otherwise a well placed bump could screw you up.
Old 11/1/13, 06:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's halfway between the dots on the dipstick or slightly over. Pretty sure that extra little bit would just be sitting around in the oil pan. Unless you're doing some hardcore tracking (which I check the oil before hand), that small variance isn't going to matter.
Your car, though the extra half quart is meant for the oil cooler.
Old 11/1/13, 07:10 AM
V6 Member

I've had my 2012 since 6/15/2011 and haven't even thought of it. If I tracked it a bit I would think about changing them to have a wider selection of performance tires to choose from.

Those of you in winter areas- is it possible to drive this car in the snow and ice(I live 15 min from St. Louis). Or is it absolutely necessary to get straight up winter tires. Mustangs are notorious for being horrible winter drivers.

I don't drive it in the snow. Here in Dallas that only happens a couple of days each year so I avoid it.

I LOVE IT!!!! It is so easy to drive!

Mine eats about a quart between oil changes. I keep a few quarts in the garage and check it every now and then

None at all. I just ordered it from my dealer and they installed it in a couple of hours.

I'm 6'2" and it is quite comfortable to drive. I've driven a few hundred miles at a time and have never been uncomfortable.

Nope, the fastest I've had it is 110, and that's because it got there much faster than I expected.

None so far (fingers crossed). I've been pulled over 4 times and my wife was pulled over once but no tickets were given. Only warnings or just told to slow down. I even got pulled over doing 40 over once and thought I was in for it but the cop let me off. The funniest one was 1 week after I got the Boss. I was pulled over for going 53 in a 40. I didn't realize I was going that fast because I was pacing a mini-van that was next to me. The cop gave me a warning and spent the next 20 minutes talking about the car with me.

Nope. Baffles have been out for over 2 years now. It's only really loud if you really step on it. If you are driving casually it's not too loud.

for no apparent reason.

Not many. Most don't even want to try. My wife gets more of this than I do. She's surprised a few kids who thought just because she's a girl they have a chance.
Old 11/1/13, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SneakyE

I've had my 2012 since 6/15/2011 and haven't even thought of it. If I tracked it a bit I would think about changing them to have a wider selection of performance tires to choose from.

I don't drive it in the snow. Here in Dallas that only happens a couple of days each year so I avoid it.

I LOVE IT!!!! It is so easy to drive!

Mine eats about a quart between oil changes. I keep a few quarts in the garage and check it every now and then

None at all. I just ordered it from my dealer and they installed it in a couple of hours.

I'm 6'2" and it is quite comfortable to drive. I've driven a few hundred miles at a time and have never been uncomfortable.

Nope, the fastest I've had it is 110, and that's because it got there much faster than I expected.

None so far (fingers crossed). I've been pulled over 4 times and my wife was pulled over once but no tickets were given. Only warnings or just told to slow down. I even got pulled over doing 40 over once and thought I was in for it but the cop let me off. The funniest one was 1 week after I got the Boss. I was pulled over for going 53 in a 40. I didn't realize I was going that fast because I was pacing a mini-van that was next to me. The cop gave me a warning and spent the next 20 minutes talking about the car with me.

Nope. Baffles have been out for over 2 years now. It's only really loud if you really step on it. If you are driving casually it's not too loud.

for no apparent reason.

Not many. Most don't even want to try. My wife gets more of this than I do. She's surprised a few kids who thought just because she's a girl they have a chance.
You're wife sounds so cool. lol I'm still trying to get mine to get the hang of driving a manual.

Last edited by Krohn; 11/1/13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11/1/13, 04:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Your question regarding the stock wheels and tires is.....a staggered set up. This makes it easier to turn and probably looks better. I run the stock "staggered" setup for the street. I run a "Square" set up for the track...18" x 10" rims with 305mm race slicks at all four corners. The 18" rims have many more tires to select from than the stock 19" rims.

Your question regarding driving the car in the winter......not in my wildest dreams. But I live in Minnesota. You have to realize that the stock tires are not supposed to be used below 45 degrees. The car does have posi..regardless if it has the Torsen or the regular rear end. You also have low ground clearance.

The noise from the exhaust is addicting. People wanting to race you.....who can predict that one. Speeding tickets.....you can get them in a mini van.

Good luck,

Wayne
Old 11/1/13, 11:49 PM
GT Member

Hmm. Really wish I could get someone on here who drives it in the winter. This would be my daily driver and I would be willing to put on some blizzak tires for the winter. I was aware that the tires are basically warm dry weather only. The painted stripe on my 70 definitely pointed to which mustang was my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails Boss Owner Questions-img00557.jpg  
Old 11/2/13, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Maybe I am wrong, sure someone will tell me. But if people can daily their GT's with Blizzaks then the same can be said for the Boss.
Old 11/2/13, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Maybe I am wrong, sure someone will tell me. But if people can daily their GT's with Blizzaks then the same can be said for the Boss.
This. I DD my '12 GT in the Fort Worth winter here in Texas last year. Yeah, it's not very harsh, but there was snow & ice and my summer tires did just fine.
Old 11/3/13, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Krohn
This. I DD my '12 GT in the Fort Worth winter here in Texas last year. Yeah, it's not very harsh, but there was snow & ice and my summer tires did just fine.
What tires were you running. I sure hope they weren't P Zero's. I think the combo of ultra high performance summer tires and low ground clearance make the Boss a less than ideal DD in winter conditions. Can a person do it with snow tires or really good quality all seasons.....sure. I was at MMP a month ago doing a two day course. The second day they had snow in the hills and it was 38 degrees. The BFG Comp II's did not inspire confidence on dry pavement in those kinds of temps. I would not want to risk my vehicle if I had other options. But take what I have to say with a grain of salt......we get a whole lot more snow and ice up here......most I've had to go through is 30+ inches.
Old 11/3/13, 10:44 AM
GT Member

If you're going to DD it in the snow, why not just go for a GT and slap a Boss intake on it? I just think there are better DD options than adding winter wear to a limited edition car.
Old 11/5/13, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally prefer a staggered set-up. And the stock tires are amazing (and priced accordingly...).

N/A for me. But I drove my Bullitt in the snow once. Can't say I'd do that with the BOSS.

Definitely!

Same as others have mentioned.

I got TK the first day it was available, and even with software issues within Ford, it wasn't a problem.

I'm 5'11", no issues, to include 900 miles in one shot. (But mine is a non-Recaro car.) My dad (6'2") has been watching my car for me the last 18 months while I've been out of country, and he has no issues either.

I don't think I've hit 155 yet.

None. I got my first Mustang at 22 yrs old, got the BOSS at 28 yrs old. My progression in age and career have dissuaded me from getting crazy on the streets. It's weird, though, as much as the BOSS is an attention getter, I've only been pulled over once in it, and that was for not having a front plate displayed.

Nope. I took the baffles out of mine on day 4 of ownership.

Have you found people trying to "race" you at stop lights, highway, etc. for no apparent reason.

Uhhh... The very fact you're in a BOSS contradicts the "no apparent reason"... that IS the reason!
That said, my personal experience is that most people that would normally pull those shenanigans, they know about the BOSS, and they know better.

Last edited by black_bullitt; 11/5/13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11/5/13, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car is fine in the winter. just get a good set of performance snow tires. 26k miles in 16 months of ownership. I don't give a rats about limited edition. this was the car I wanted.

Name:  819B718A-F935-4D8B-9A87-600317514165-1878-000000CAAF10B770.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  313.6 KB

Last edited by JeffL; 11/5/13 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss Owner Questions