Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss Overheating at Track - NO MORE

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/12, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss Overheating at Track - NO MORE

We had a chance to have a couple of 2012 Boss 302's running at Spring Mountain this past weekend under some pretty brutal track temperatures. Spring Mountain is located in Pahrump, Nevada at an elevation of 2700'. The temperature in the afternoon was approximately 105F. SM is a long, 3.4 mile track with lots of high speed, high rpm sections. We really wanted to have these kind of testing conditions at the end of last summer to give definitive data on tha performance and effect of our Cool Tech oil cooler. Our schedule and Mother Nature didn't see eye to eye and this was the first time we got to torture test the cooling of the Boss.

The closest testing conditions that we had last year was the 100F+ testing we did at Miller with an oil cooler design that frankly didn't meet our expectaions. At Miller we had datalogged water temps in the 240 degree range and oil temps ABOVE 320 degrees.

This weekend, with both of the instrumented Bosses running with the Cool Tech oil cooler, we saw max water temps at 220 degrees and amazingly, oil temps 100 DEGREES better at a max of 220F as well. These temps despite very aggressive driving and 20-30 minute driving sessions. In short, we are extremely happy with the performance of the oil cooler and we would be confident to claim that you can run this configuration in virtually any temperature condition without fear of overheating the car. In fact, the second Boss ran every track session with the windows up and the AC on full blast!!
Old 6/18/12, 11:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know, did you have a grille in and or any other mods done to the car?
Old 6/18/12, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Grill out on the Cool Tech car. Grill in - but modified in other LS.
Old 6/19/12, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

Hi Kendall,

Hope you and Ryan had a good time out there. Is he still faster than you ;-) ?

Great news on the Cool Tech Oil Cooler ! The results are a direct indicator of all the hard work you put into this project. Congratulations !

Best regards,

Rob
Old 6/19/12, 06:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding to my wish list.
Old 6/19/12, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Adding to my wish list.
Old 6/19/12, 09:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Grill out on the Cool Tech car. Grill in - but modified in other LS.
Is that the CJ grille? I'm using the CJ grille with good results.
Old 6/19/12, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Is that the CJ grille? I'm using the CJ grille with good results.
I am pretty sure that is it. I am not home or I would take a few pics. Just horizontal bars and I trimmed back the supports for maximum air flow.
Kendall, is that my grill? The car, is it a CJ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Apollo; 6/19/12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 6/19/12, 12:13 PM
V6 Member

We had a chance to have a couple of 2012 Boss 302's running at Spring Mountain this past weekend under some pretty brutal track temperatures. Spring Mountain is located in Pahrump, Nevada at an elevation of 2700'. The temperature in the afternoon was approximately 105F. SM is a long, 3.4 mile track with lots of high speed, high rpm sections. We really wanted to have these kind of testing conditions at the end of last summer to give definitive data on tha performance and effect of our Cool Tech oil cooler. Our schedule and Mother Nature didn't see eye to eye and this was the first time we got to torture test the cooling of the Boss.

The closest testing conditions that we had last year was the 100F+ testing we did at Miller with an oil cooler design that frankly didn't meet our expectaions. At Miller we had datalogged water temps in the 240 degree range and oil temps ABOVE 320 degrees.

This weekend, with both of the instrumented Bosses running with the Cool Tech oil cooler, we saw max water temps at 220 degrees and amazingly, oil temps 100 DEGREES better at a max of 220F as well. These temps despite very aggressive driving and 20-30 minute driving sessions. In short, we are extremely happy with the performance of the oil cooler and we would be confident to claim that you can run this configuration in virtually any temperature condition without fear of overheating the car. In fact, the second Boss ran every track session with the windows up and the AC on full blast!!
I did see 230 running a/c but boy was I cool... Cooltech that is! Great product!
Old 6/19/12, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Apollo
I am pretty sure that is it. I am not home or I would take a few pics. Just horizontal bars and I trimmed back the supports for maximum air flow.
Kendall, is that my grill? The car, is it a CJ?
You have the CJ grille and that's where I got the idea from.

Name:  _W1D8478.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 6/19/12, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

Duh on my part...
Don't know why I have trouble with remembering that. I talk to so many people at the track with different set ups.
Old 6/19/12, 03:15 PM
V6 Member

Good looking car by the way!
Old 6/19/12, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Apollo does have the CJ grill. (Sorry I couldn't remember eithe after having bought it for Apollo.) Apollo's cooling strategy is simply to be faster than everyone else so that he has more air flowing through the radiators! (I hate home track advantages!!)
Old 6/19/12, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a fun track. I did the East config and the heat + altitude is brutal. Great course, lots of fast turns and fun technical combinations in there.
Old 6/19/12, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Apollo
Good looking car by the way!
Thanks. That's my Laguna Feca.

Name:  LSEmblem.png
Views: 241
Size:  891.3 KB
Old 6/19/12, 05:37 PM
V6 Member

Apollo does have the CJ grill. (Sorry I couldn't remember eithe after having bought it for Apollo.) Apollo's cooling strategy is simply to be faster than everyone else so that he has more air flowing through the radiators! (I hate home track advantages!!)
Kendall the reason Apollo was faster is not because he had the home track advantage but because he had the windows up and was aerodynamicaly faster than the competiton

P.S.
I bet the Cool Tech cooler had something to with it
Old 6/19/12, 06:36 PM
Cobra Member

I'll add that to the list of mods I'll need.
Old 6/20/12, 07:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been following your other post on the oil coolers, and know you switched gears in early 2012 going from a standalone Setrab #172 air to oil cooler; to running in series with the factory water (engine coolant) to oil cooler. Then you offer one with and one without the remote filter /thermostat.

In the vehicles noted in your post which version was in each of the vehicles.

What engine coolant radiator was in each of the vehicle? Stock or Aftermarket?

What fluid are you using as coolant? What is the Ratio coolant to water?

What Brand and weight motor oil are you using.

Are you measuring Oil Temperatures at one point or several points.

I be interested to know: Oil temp. into the cooler; Oil temp out of the cooler and Oil temp in the Oil pan.

Is the data logger able to tell you how long the engine was run for over 6000 RPM during each session?

105 Ambient temperature is extremely hot and human fatigue can set in quickly, 20 to 30 minute sessions in these condition all I can say you guys must be super human.
BTW; I been running open track for 18 years never been to an event where they let you run with the windows UP
Old 6/20/12, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I been following your other post on the oil coolers, and know you switched gears in early 2012 going from a standalone Setrab #172 air to oil cooler; to running in series with the factory water (engine coolant) to oil cooler. Then you offer one with and one without the remote filter /thermostat.
Yes, our first iteration of the cooler was to run in place of the OEM cooler. In collaborating data from another source also making a cooler for the Boss, we both elected that an in-series approach was MUCH more effective AND easier to install. We updated the early kits and now all cars with the Cool Tech cooler are in-series - and will consequently will have the same performance as we described. During the development of the cooler we instrumented an OEM car and noticed how long it took for the car to get the oil to 150F. In 50F mild SoCal weather, it would take almost 15 minutes of city-street driving to get the oil up to 150F. In colder weather we would expect slightly longer warm-up times and if there was an in-series, un-regulated cooler ALSO on the car - warm-up times would be further lengthened. Therefore, our recommended kit comes with a thermostat and our cooler is NOT added into the cooling equation until oil temps are ~180F. To be price competitive with the other maker, we also offer an option with no thermostat but, to-date, we have had no takers... and we are somewhat happy about that.

In the vehicles noted in your post which version was in each of the vehicles.

All of the Cool Tech oil cooler equipped cars are running the large, 172 cooler along with the thermostat.

What engine coolant radiator was in each of the vehicle? Stock or Aftermarket?

Stock. The aftermarket, bigger radiator has NOT been effective according to any data that I have seen.... i.e., the radiator is NOT the constraint.

What fluid are you using as coolant? What is the Ratio coolant to water?

OEM and OEM ratios.

What Brand and weight motor oil are you using.

Motocraft 5w-50 Only

Are you measuring Oil Temperatures at one point or several points.

One point - Out of the engine and BEFORE the air-to-oil cooler.

I be interested to know: Oil temp. into the cooler; Oil temp out of the cooler and Oil temp in the Oil pan.

Is the data logger able to tell you how long the engine was run for over 6000 RPM during each session?

We did not record this. Definitely smacked the rev limitor a few times.

105 Ambient temperature is extremely hot and human fatigue can set in quickly, 20 to 30 minute sessions in these condition all I can say you guys must be super human.

BTW; I been running open track for 18 years never been to an event where they let you run with the windows UP

This track and Buttonwillow (California) both allow Window-up.

Last edited by nota4re; 6/20/12 at 12:07 PM.
Old 6/20/12, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Thanks. That's my Laguna Feca.

Quick Reply: Boss Overheating at Track - NO MORE